Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
every single hideo kojima game is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

that octocamo gimmick seemed cool
Some other game should rip that off

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

snoremac posted:

I couldn't believe how bad MGS4's plot was. The chronology ends at 2 for me because I like the theorized supernatural explanation for Liquid/Ocelot over the stupid poo poo in 4.

3 is so good tho

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I hope we get more starfield details soon

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

3 is so good tho

both 3 and 5 are amazing

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

snoremac posted:

I couldn't believe how bad MGS4's plot was. The chronology ends at 2 for me because I like the theorized supernatural explanation for Liquid/Ocelot over the stupid poo poo in 4.

Same honestly. 4 has like 5 or 6 amazing moments but it's obvious Kojima did not wanna make it so you're in Sam Raimi's Spiderman 3 territory. Peace Walker, MGSV, and DS were Kojima and co. consistently getting better than I expected. His cutscene direction has reached fever dream Alejandro Iñárritu territory. It's amazing

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
4 is good in the uhhhh 2/5s of the game that it is a Metal Gear Solid game

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the only bad thing about the cutscenes in 5 was kojima using his newfound cachet to spend konami's money on letting him hang out with kiefer sutherland and getting rid of david hayter.

i guess it's possible though that the hayter snake voice wouldn't be as believable at being as sad as snake is in the game compared to an actor who has personal experience with ruining all his personal relationships by being an alcoholic

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 04:48 on Jan 27, 2022

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Southpaugh posted:

3 is so good tho

3 is a masterpiece. i never played 4 but to go from the heights of 3 to the apparent depths of 4 is pretty crazy.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Epic High Five posted:

I'm gonna keep just relentlessly grinding the forest guardians and pumping those souls into STR levels, FromSoft you bastards, if you want me to stop then release the online

Do it man, grinding the forest is a great time. You get to learn how to fight a few different archetypal foes, you can kick people off cliffs, and it helps number go up! They made the stats go to 99 for a reason after all...

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

okay. okay. mgs4 is extremely bad

however, consider this

https://i.imgur.com/OGIVwvD.gifv

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Xaris posted:

it was really bad. when people ask what order to play MGS games i often don't even bother to list 4 or it's dead last.
1-2-3-PW-GZ-5 seems best. I haven't played PW but hear it's good and there were some gaps missing for me in GZ and 5 because of it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

palindrome posted:

Do it man, grinding the forest is a great time. You get to learn how to fight a few different archetypal foes, you can kick people off cliffs, and it helps number go up! They made the stats go to 99 for a reason after all...

The stupid axe spider shield fucker gets me more than everybody else combined and he's worth the fewest souls...THAT FUCKER!!!!

snoremac posted:

everything I know about MGS4 is speedrun stuff and what I know is that the speedruns stood out to me as "by god this is all cutscene" in the same way that "by god this is all just running across walkways in an impossibly large warehouse" was with FFXIII

Jazerus posted:

this is the real dark souls

https://twitter.com/fumingbruv/status/1485273966373707777

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I wonder if Konami forced Kojima to make another game about Solid Snake only because MGS5, while having problems of its own, has a much more consistent vision and much less fan service.

4 would have at least had a good ending if Snake just shot himself and nothing after that happened.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

snoremac posted:

I wonder if Konami forced Kojima to make another game about Solid Snake only because MGS5, while having problems of its own, has a much more consistent vision and much less fan service.

4 would have at least had a good ending if Snake just shot himself and nothing after that happened.

konami wouldn't have allowed that

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

snoremac posted:

I thought it was more or less common knowledge that Kojima wanted it to end at 3 and 4 was the result of them basically forcing him to put out something

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I guess I'm still a sucker for the old man game-spanning fistfight on top of a giant submarine and going back to Shadow Moses and seeing how hosed up and decrepit it became but on the whole it's probably good that MGS4 will never escape its PS3 grave

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Monkey Fracas posted:

I guess I'm still a sucker for the old man game-spanning fistfight on top of a giant submarine and going back to Shadow Moses and seeing how hosed up and decrepit it became but on the whole it's probably good that MGS4 will never escape its PS3 grave

That part was cool but it was also the perfect culmination to the entire game's message of "you're a lovely old man who nobody wants around and you fail to accomplish anything useful"

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Xaris posted:

some japanese games make it hard to skip but no i think skip is at least now a thing for the most part. max payne 3 was the last real egregiously awful one.

i've never been so close to uninstalling a game on the spot as that one sniper mission in max payne 3 where it takes away control to move the camera like two feet to the left only to let you shoot like 3 guys before doing it again and then again like 4 more times

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

only just noticed warno has a replay mode

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

theres a game on Steam called "SEX with HITLER"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

snoremac posted:

Ocelot inherited his dad's connection to the dead and liquids arm took over ocelots mind due to it and all the hypnosis stuff was a quintuple cross

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i am harry posted:

come on now youre being crazy

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Epic High Five posted:

I'm gonna keep just relentlessly grinding the forest guardians and pumping those souls into STR levels, FromSoft you bastards, if you want me to stop then release the online

you know the forest is also an online interaction area right?

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
MGS4 had enough great moments that I can't hate it, but it's definitely a game that's only worth getting at sale prices because of how short the gameplay is.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

you know the forest is also an online interaction area right?

Oh yeah I'm sure I'll be able to appreciate that whenever online interactions are a thing again

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Xaris posted:

it was really bad. when people ask what order to play MGS games i often don't even bother to list 4 or it's dead last.

you can sum up 4's plot for people as "it turns out naomi was really gunning for huey emmerich's place as The Worst, but never managed to meet his highs" and leave it there imo

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

I cannot loving believe the 3050 loses in benchmarking to the 1660ti lmao

God what a nightmare

is that a graphing calculator

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I found mgs4 somewhat fun but I only played it once and I only remember four things:
1) otacon and snake have a child now and their house is a plane with infinite fuel that's always flying
2) monkey with soda
3) microwave hallway
4) old man fight

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

mgs4 without cutscenes is usually 4-5 hours on first playthrough if you don't spend the first two chapters loving with the AI

mgs1 is something like 4 hours as well isn't it

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

When mgs4 about to come out I played through the remakes of the original msx games on the mgs3 subsistence disk and then mgs1 mgs2 mgs3 portable ops and then mgs4

and I didn't understand what was going on sometimes in mgs4

peacewalker and the two mgs5 games are good.

ground zeroes is a masterpiece of game design. its so hard to have so many enemies and stealth on a small map but not feel it's either bullshit easy or bullshit hard not too tedious and not on rails. it's so good

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

put the metal gear acid games on switch damnit I want to replay them but my psp is broken

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I've enjoyed Eugen games in the past, but after the Steel Division thing I'm not sold on Warno yet. Or maybe I'm too slow for interesting RTS games these days.

Also in the Dark souls 1 forest, I think using a kick (forward +R1) is a good move against axe-guy with a weakass maroon-colored balsa-wood spider shield. Parry is also an acceptable answer but I find the timing is kinda tricky against axe wielders. In any case, the standard "lock on, circle, strafe, get-behind, slash" method works against almost everything. Be sure to master it and realize that the enemy AI will never adapt or have tricks to counter it in later games. Rolling is evergreen though, A+

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Antonymous posted:

is that a graphing calculator

Nah graphics cards

The 2060 KO also stomps it, it's like roughly 50% better in benchmarks and it launched at $275

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

some plague rats posted:

It was such a fuckup making it episodic, I played the first one and was bang into it but by the time the next one came out I was like oh yeah. I guess I'll play that some time. and then never did

drat that must've been maddening. I'm fine coming in years after the game is complete, but there definitely is a way to flat out lose people by piquing their interest and leaving them waiting for years.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

mortons stork posted:

drat that must've been maddening. I'm fine coming in years after the game is complete, but there definitely is a way to flat out lose people by piquing their interest and leaving them waiting for years.

Between episode one and episode five I started and completed college lmao

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

i am harry posted:

it's about time

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

i am harry posted:

finally a sequel to SEX with STALIN

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grapplejack posted:

I cannot loving believe the 3050 loses in benchmarking to the 1660ti lmao

God what a nightmare

eh, it still has DLSS, Nvidia Broadcast, and NVENC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
my RTX 2060 works for playing things at 1080p and 60fps which is the best my monitor can display so I'm happy