Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I have a massage house run by a baseball player, a chimp, and a giant roomba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

I will forever defend my Tactics Ogre tarot deck.

:hai:

This is the best collectors edition promo

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

huh, its been awhile since i actually wanted some dumb promo crap. matsuno is my kyrptonite

Is he up to anything lately outside of helping with FF14 occasionally?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

i've been hearing vague rumours about projects outside of square for ages

Yeah me too but nothing ever happens...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

etalian posted:

I could never get into it plus it does the whole Kickstarter game design silliness of trying to shoe horn different things in a RPG like "City Building - Town Management!"

We are adding more bullet point features to the game!

They took the city building straight out of the pen and paper module that it's based on and I bounced off when it started up the city management part which is exactly where it failed when I was running it for a group years ago.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

QUEER FRASIER posted:

the proper yakuza game loop is

drat lots of dudes in suits yelling and fighting that was intense -> time to do sidequests and gamble a bit to cool down from all that story stuff -> return to the story 8 hrs later with no clue what’s going on other than that there’s a lot pf dudes in suits yelling and fighting -> repeat

Where I always end up in is get invested in the story and ignore the side quests until I realize I want the ultimate reward for whatever large management mini game is in this itteration and then go deep into the sub stories to get every chicken, plucky child, and giant roomba vacuum cleaner I need to help run my baseball team or real estate business and come back to the last third of the story thirty hours later.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's a shame since they pretty much landed on the opposite of the pitch you'd want for a cyberpunk RPG where you are controlling a character you have little influence on outside of small dialogue choices (until the very end I guess) in a setting that largely feels like every other open city game.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I just wish Nier A didn't have a level system since the fights were either too easy or took forever and would have been more fun if they just based them around a bass set of stats with some wiggle room for chips and weapon upgrades.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I found 9s more tragic than sinister at the end of the game since he was being overtaken by the logic virus.

Communist Thoughts posted:

I just like that what you first see of the characters in a Yoko game is always a front and you'll Find Some poo poo Out through the course of the game.

Compared to like cyberpunk where Jackie is like "we gotta make it do the top hermana!"
Then 30 hours later his lover tells you something she has never told anyone about Jackie... He really wanted to make it to the top.

Lol Also they were foreshadowing you meeting with Jackie in the mind prison for the entire game and you get there and he has literally nothing to say.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah the console controls for Darkest Dungeon are clunky and bad and not worth being able to play it portably unless you are really desperate to play away from a PC.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm pretty sure the controls are the same on Vita and Switch but I could be misremembering. I really disliked how they mapped everything to clunky shoulder button combinations which ultimately hurt my enjoyment but if you don't mind that the game is what you want out of a portable dungeon crawl.

Eggplant Squire has issued a correction as of 22:25 on Feb 8, 2021

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bioware heard about the FF14 debacle and think they can pull off what Square did.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Are there any decent dungeon crawler games for Android right now? Something like Wizardry or Etrian Oddysey where you can just grind dungeons with some dudes? I'd love a Darkest Dungeon I could play on my phone.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TheMightyBoops posted:

I tried looking for some awhile back and all I found was a guy who made a few games based off Wizardry 1, so they were very bare bones and I didn’t really stick with them (wandroid is what that was called). I wonder how hard porting wizardry 1 - 8 would be because phone seems like the perfect place to play those. They just need the UI cleaned up.

edit: It’s not exactly the same but DQ 3 is on phones and it has that same make some buds and explore vibe.

Yeah I had the same experience looking myself. It feels weird there's not much at all.

Jazerus posted:

you could get some emulators and play the NES/SNES/GB wizardries and megami tensei games

That's not a bad idea thanks.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I just realized how out of touch I am since I forgot all the rom sites got shut down by Nindendo last year

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

grieving for Gandalf posted:

found the dumb guy

a lot of them at least pulled their Nintendo roms, yeah, but it's still easy to just google "a link to the past rom" and you'll find what you're looking for

Ahh cool

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Can't you just tell her as the baron of that land the new law is criminals go free and as she is a law aligned character she is obligated to respect that?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Oh god this thing

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TheMightyBoops posted:

How much of 14 can I play solo, because the only reason I haven’t is because it’s an MMO. Also the monthly fee is just too much.

The main story has dungeons interspersed throughout where you get queued into parties with three other people but otherwise you can solo everything. The last expansion also has a system where you can do those dungeons with NPCs so you don't even have to interact with any other players until the last boss.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If you liked the political stuff of FFT play Tactics Ogre. It's by the same guy and goes way deeper into human politics and the mythological stuff is more of a backdrop for different factions vying for power and how they try to use it. You also get to make moral choices which dramatically alter how the story plays out.

The PSP port is super good and let's you rewind the plot to see different branches.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's ironic because all the other "bad" stuff they do in the game is all really misunderstandings and accidents. Unlike that part which is actually really loving bad, what with blackmailing her into letting you get out of class and stuff.

The Persona 5 cast are not nearly as bad as the game wants you to think they are which was one of my biggest disappointments. They are sold as rebels but outside of the magic heists are generally really uptight about doing anything "wrong"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly if you are done with Heavensward and still hating the game, Shadowbringers isn't going to change your opinion and you are wasting your time. When people say you have to get past "the bad stuff" in FF14 they mean the junk they had to make between the end of the base game and the first expansion to pad out time while they were rebuilding everything from the disastrous launch. They don't mean literally everything before Shadowbringers unless they are desperate to keep you playing.

If you aren't vibing with stuff outside of that the game isn't for you, which is fine, since what makes Shadowbringers good is the stuff that's built up to it and if you hate all that stuff it isn't going to land.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

My impression of FFXIV so far is that while there is certainly hooks there for the right sort of brain, it isnt like a Hades or Disco where there is a good chance you'll like it even if you despise the genre otherwise. If you arent an MMO person you're just not gonna have a good time no matter what people say

When do the classes start being fun? I'm level 15 and using the same one spell I've had since level 1 lol. My expectations are always low since Rift spoiled me on what a class system can be but the pace of getting new skills is glacial

Depends on the class and honestly this is a failing on the game and they should let you preview then at level 50 to get an idea how they play. Black mage is a mess until level 70 but most classes are pretty complete by 50 and then just add on to those concepts. By level 30 you have enough stuff so that it's not just one button like the very early stages.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bunny underwear is more accurate

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

CYBEReris posted:

limsa lominsa is the main hub of nude catgirls, cosplayers posing in front of the market board, and bards spamming megalovania

Don't forget people advertising their 18+ ERP cafes

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

JRPGs having game overs from the main character dying are dumb rear end hell and seem to originate from SMT where it made sense because you were controlling a bunch of semi loyal demons even if it was bad from a gameplay perspective but it still being used 30 years later when you have three other party members that know Recarm or CPR is lovely all together.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Man Tactics Ogre is truly the most C-SPAM jrpg. Just refused to commit a false flag against my own people to motivate them into rising up against their oppressors. Massacre happened anyway, and I got blamed for it.

It's not my first time through the story, but it's still so drat good. IIRC, Matsuno was inspired by the Balkan conflicts when writing this story of civil war/ethnic atrocities between three groups.

It's such a great game and it was so fresh having a jrpg that's revolving around human politics and intrigue instead of the standard world ending god threat that even at the time was massively over used. I want a new Matsuno game so badly and right now the only way to get access to his style is with Final Fantasy 14 side stories where once you learn he did the scenarios it makes perfect sense.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

What's even going on

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Who was even in charge of the twins by the time of Nier's story?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

Lmao imagine HZDs big plan after we've seen covid and how well the world works together in a crisis.
And iirc its done by the US military too.

It kinda makes sense that we would do it. All the elite people that are in on the plan (and the guy that caused it all because they are idiots) get to live in bunkers where they at least survive and the rest of life on earth is told a lie to give them hope as they sacrifice themselves to give the elites time to enact their reset the world in a thousand years plan.

The leap is that the elites would just gently caress off to the bunkers and skip the reset the world part.

Eggplant Squire has issued a correction as of 17:23 on Feb 20, 2021

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Can you set your town to totally manage itself so you can ignore that part of the game?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sweet thanks I may get back into it when I get some time.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TheMightyBoops posted:

The Switch is at least getting
some of the JRPGs and visual novels that would have been vita or psp games when those were a thing. The psp Tactics Ogre should really be on switch.

Man now I want an Ogre Battle collection on the switch

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Casey Finnigan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJFU9Qe8Of4

satomi tadashi better fuckin be in Persona 6

They need to bring this back for the new Personas.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The core problems of Cyberpunk, that the narrative is mediocre at best and it shouldn't have been an open world game, can't be fixed no matter how much time they spend on it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah. V absolutely loving sucks as a character. Johnny sucks but the game insists that you have to love that old scamp isn't he such a rascal. Jackie is cool but well...
And then who else even is there as a character? The AI cab? Desert car lady?

Viktor was the only character by the end of the game I cared about at all.

With Jackie it felt so weird that they were laying it in thick that his body was stolen so they could so stuff with it and maybe throw it into the brain jail but then you finally meet him at the end and he doesn't have anything to say. Like why bother with that and not just forget about him like they did with T bug?. Just bizarre story telling decisions.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The last level in SMT4A sucks hard but I enjoyed the rest of it. I appreciated for once you have friends you aren't just being set up to murder (although of course you still can).

Eggplant Squire has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Mar 22, 2021

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Basically bricking the console seems like a bigger deal than just not being interested in old games. That makes me not even want to consider a PS5 if it's as dire as that account is saying.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

RDR2 went on way too long and the writers couldn't decide if your crew were a bunch of noble underdog outlaws being hastled by the Pinkerton's as the time of cowboys was ending or they were a bunch of psychopaths with superhuman powers to murder entire towns.

RDR was more consistent since you just wanted to get back to your family and it was the government deciding mostly in your course of action.

Eggplant Squire has issued a correction as of 02:16 on Mar 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chrono Cross was ok but I think it would have been better as its own game instead of a sequel designed to take the positive good feelings of Chrono Trigger as say well actually everything went bad for everyone.. Also not having Toriyama sucked when that defined the first game.