Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Yeah it's clear Beast Island is a place people simply don't survive. Micah seems to have only lived due to being one of the most powerful magic users ever and Entrapta was doing well with the robot friend she found but probably wasn't going to survive much longer with her insistence on staying in the center of the island. I mean hell, given that Hordak tears up when he finds out Entrapta was sent to Beast Island by Catra, he obviously thinks she must have died there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Yeah he's apparently trying to constantly improve himself and he sees the clones as nothing more than walking sacks of spare parts. Which is probably why Hordak was such a disappointment to him - he's not only not a good enough fighter, he's even too deformed to be useful for backup organs and body parts.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

You wouldn't happen to have a link to the artist's work, would you? I would enjoy more silly comics featuring she-ra characters.

That would be Rae Geiger, one of the actual character designers from the show. They were responsible for Entrapta's design (among others, including DT) and they're a huge fan of both Entrapta and Hordak and them together.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 3, 2019

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Ironslave posted:

If the finale has Hordak and Entrapta blasting off in a rocket to explore the universe I think I'll have gotten what I want out of this.

I think this would be the happiest possible ending for everyone. Entrapta gets to see worlds she could have never imagined and learned things unthinkable on Etheria, Hordak gets to spend the rest of his days with someone who genuinely cares about him and doesn't have impossible expectations for him, and Etheria doesn't have to deal with the sticky moral situation of figuring out how to live with Hordak and Entrapta after their various war crimes.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

As a fellow ace, you can be ace and still have a romantic relationship :colbert:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Really? People in this thread just specifically said we were ace and you're gonna post "I don't believe that's real"? Keep your dumbshit thoughts to yourself bro.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Both of you are extremely stupid and should get your hot takes about other people's life experiences out of this thread.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I don't know if Hordak and Entrapta's relationship will ever be obviously romantic and to be honest, I don't need it to be. I ship it in a way where I mostly just want them to hang out together and be weird amoral science buddies forever.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I watch this show exclusively for Entrapta and Scorpia. And also the gay agenda.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I think it's less 'comic book character' and more 'villain'. That said, Harley is a perfectly normal name and I presume Quinn is just her middle name. She probably doesn't go by Harley Quinn in day to day conversation.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I was given to understand that at the very start of the show, GRRM gave them a very rough outline for the entire story. However, they were still working with GRRM for the early seasons and then at some point, I think they had creative differences with him? Like they wanted to take the story in a different direction. It's not like GRRM couldn't have stayed on board with the show when they ran out of books and consulted, but he didn't and I think he's made it pretty clear he didn't like what they ended up doing. I wouldn't assume at this point that what happened in the last few seasons is accurate to GRRM's plan for the books.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I'd say I can't believe Scorpia is the best princess but I already knew it. She's so good.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

One thing that genuinely surprised me in a good way in the finale was after Hordak slam dunked Prime into the pit and Entrapta was super happy, then got nervous as he started laughing, I thought they were going to do the classic "Now I am in command and I shall be the actual final villain!" with Hordak. It would have been a real let down, not because Hordak's a good person because he's not, but because he's just a real downgrade as a villain from Prime. Then it was revealed that of course Prime took control of Hordak because why the hell wouldn't he? It's well established he can do that. I wouldn't call it a twist but I don't think it's what an average story would have done and I really liked it.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

It suddenly occurred to me that they never brought Angella back. I was fully expecting them to do so. I'm actually glad they didn't since it'd ruin the impact of what happened but I think that means Angella, Shadow Weaver, and Horde Prime are the only permanently dead main characters.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Android Blues posted:

Is that true, though? I feel like there's always a pretty vocal contingent of people who are sceptical about villain shipping. Like, many people absolutely hated shipping Rey with Kylo Ren for pretty much the same reasons.

I wouldn't call Star Wars 'children's media', generally. Certainly children enjoy it, but it wasn't made for them. While we're talking about ATLA, I'd more closely compare this to people who shipped Zuko/Katara before his redemption, specifically going into the last season when he'd apparently thrown his redemption in the garbage. I personally hated Zutara and still do - I liked Mai and related to her a lot and I hated the way that Zutara shippers treated her. Nobody involved in that ship was interested in hearing "Zuko refused his redemption and tried to kill the Gaang." It was all "No it's fine, they'll still get together in the end."

At any rate, I think it's worth saying there can be a happy middle ground here - I agree that I don't think Catra earned her redemption, yet. I think she could in the future, but we're not going to get to see it. By the same token, I don't think Hordak got any form of redemption. Mermista made a crack about 'are we all just okay with this?' but if you imagine the story continuing, there probably would have to be a very real conversation about 'okay, what do we do about this because sorry doesn't really cover it'. But that's not the scope of the show and I don't need it to be. I don't really like Catradora as they are now but I also recognize that outside the confines of the story, it was incredibly important for them to end up together for representation reasons. Every single other villain and former villain of the series except for Prime got their equivalent of a happy ending. Even Shadow Weaver got to go out on her own terms, tormenting Catra one last time. It'd be pretty lovely for Catra not to get hers.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Hordak had a pre-existing personality and identity to fall back on. All the other clones didn't and with the connection to Prime fully severed, they probably all had a meltdown the way Wrong Hordak first did. Not much of a fight.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

He's only dating Glimmer to get closer to Eternia's Most Feral Eligible Bachelor, Micah. I'm kidding of course but it does amuse me that there's literally not enough male characters for Bow to have a boyfriend. Kyle and Rogelio are together, Seahawk is with Mermista, Hordak is with Entrapta, and Swift Wind is a horse. Micah really is the only available male character and I love it. No overabundance of male characters here.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Bow and Glimmer feel deliberately ambiguous in a way where you can totally read them as being just friends or as more and the canon supports you either way. Basically they did a straight couple the way most media does queer couples :v:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Noonsaliwah posted:

This isn't even true for She-Ra

Confirmed straight couples: Micah/Angella, Mermista/Sea Hawk
Implied straight couples: Bow/Glimmer

Confirmed queer couples: Adora/Catra, Netossa/Spinnerella. Bow's dads - George/Lance
Implied queer couples: Scorpia/Perfuma, Kyle/Rogelio/Maybe Lonnie??? I don't know what that trio is up to really.

And Hordak/Entrapta is either straight or platonic or if you assume they're ace datemates then they're kind of a queer couple but basically that one is very open to interpretation.

So queer relationships actually do outnumber straight relationships in She-Ra. And we're all better off for it :colbert:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

That is true and Noelle did say one of the guys at the bar was Sea Hawk's ex. Even fewer straight couples.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

MechaCrash posted:

Something I just realized about Spinnerella and Netossa is that for the first four seasons, they had strong couple energy. It wasn't until the fifth season that "yes, they are a couple" was made explicit on screen, when Netossa referred to Spinnerella as her wife.

It kind of makes me wonder what was going on behind the scenes there, because as I recall, Noelle Stephenson had to fight for the Catra/Adora kiss, and one of the arrows in her quiver was "we have been setting this up for four seasons, we either end it in the organic gay way or we do some contrived queerbaiting bullshit." So that makes me think that Spinny and Netty had to keep things relatively low-key on camera at first, but by season 5 they could go all in.

I think they were actually confirmed as a couple in season 1 but then they pretty much weren't on screen at all again until season 5. Noelle was probably allowed to slip those two in early because they were so unimportant and then she could say "Look, there was no backlash from that, so it's fine actually."

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I think the point is that's not why she did it, not that it's not literally a self-destructive act.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Rae Geiger has been answering questions on their Tumblr page about She-Ra and explained that they and another artist were responsible for Scorpia/Perfuma, originally as a cute joke. One of the things they designed was a theoretical Scorpia/Perfuma baby and look at this.

This is the cutest thing I've ever seen :3: :3: :3:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

Although the fact its clearly their biological child has some concerning implications...

It's not really concerning. There's magic in this world and even if one of them is trans, that's still not concerning, you weirdo.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

The show has a real problem with not making anyone's ages clear at all, which would be fine if they were all the same age, but they're not. Entrapta is in her late 20s, Sea Hawk and Mermista are mid 20s I think, and Netossa and Spinnerella are old enough to be married and have been part of the previous Princess Alliance. All while Catra, Glimmer, Adora, and Bow are actual teenagers. Frosta is the only princess visibly younger than anyone else.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I thought Entrapta was 37 and didn't pay taxes?

Definitely doesn't pay taxes and is old enough to have to pay them. Everything else is variable.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Scorpia doesn't have a kingdom, just a gemstone, so it's kind of moot.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

It seems like the gemstones have very specific powers and you don't get the powers if you aren't connected to the gemstone. Thus Scorpia not having lightning powers for most of her life. Presumably the kid would just choose what gemstone they wanted to attune to and would have either plant powers or lightning.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Despite having been on this site for 7+ years, I'm still too much of a coward to go to some places and say things, is there any chance people know of any podcasts talking about this show?

I got you, pal

It's kind of a slow podcast because they only talk about one episode at a time and sometimes divert hard onto weird tangents, but they've done interviews with several people who worked on the show, including Noelle. It's a pretty decent listen.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

There was no way she would. She and Horde Prime are the only villains on the show that were never victims themselves, they just victimized others. They don't get redemption for that.

Speaking of which, I saw a really interesting blog post about Hordak's version of how he got trapped on Etheria the other day. Mostly about how it's just straight up wrong. I don't think he was lying but rather that he very much misunderstood his role in Prime's empire. He describes himself as having been a "top general" before his defect caused him to be cast aside as useless. But that's absurd on its face because Prime doesn't have generals. He controls the clones via a hivemind and is the sole decision maker. Hordak only thought he was special to Prime because that's what a cult does. The entire point is to make an individual feel special and needed, even when they're completely expendable. Hordak was probably, at best, one of Prime's personal attendants that stays right by his side and he mistook that for being important to Prime in any way.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

tsob posted:

I actually found that quite annoying in Shadow Weaver's case. I find it understandable in Horde Prime's case, because he's only introduced in the final season and there's so much going on that he barely gets any screen time or presence, but Shadow Weaver has been a persistent character since the first episode and there's been a good bit of mention of her past, as well as tying her to every major character in the show and in the end she was just power hungry because she was power hungry; rather than having a deeper reason for wanting power. Which, I'm not even saying it has to be abuse of any kind, but there should be something to her past and to her motives that isn't just "yummy power". It's a very shallow characterization, which is kind of disappointing since she was quite...ambiguous is probably the wrong word, since it's always implied she has sinister motives, but certainly enigmatic in her actions and the way she acted around a lot of people. It's even implied she felt some regret about what happened with Micah, but there's barely any follow up on it.

Eh, I'm fine with Shadow Weaver being a villain for the sake of being a power hungry monster. There were enough villains in She-Ra who got sympathetic backstories and understandable character motivations. Sometimes a character is an rear end in a top hat just because it's in their nature to be an rear end in a top hat.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Has there even been anger about S5 among the usual suspects? I remember the kerfuffle when S1 came out but now all I'm seeing on the internet is a lot of love (and some disagreement on how well some of the arcs were executed).

Which is pretty :3:

The worst I've seen is when Netflix was tweeting announcements for the show and some people in the comments were saying "who cares about She-Ra, where's [show I want to watch]" but I'm pretty sure those people come out for every single announcement.

Edit - There's an article out about Noelle responding to the fan theory that Bow is trans. Noelle's response is quite good, I think. The TL;DR is that she didn't intend for him to be trans or she would have hired a trans voice actor for him, but she likes the theory and is glad people can read the character that way. She doesn't want to canonize it though because that feels like claiming representation after the fact, ala JKR.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 28, 2020

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Is this show good? Someone pitch it to me. I'm running out of things to binge in our isolated hell-world.

The single gayest cartoon you've ever seen.

Also a lot of children dealing with the consequences of abusive parental figures, plus cults, technomagic, the occasional song, and a marxist horse.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

What part of Catradora was a secret? Also Noelle drew art of Entrapta and Hordak getting married but alright, sure. People who get mad about ships are so weird.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Entrapta is the one that actually got the crew into space, shut down the hivemind, and disconnected Catra from Prime, so I think we know who the real hero of the galaxy is :colbert:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I'll take an invite to anigoons discord

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

He's explicitly based on a cult leader. If you associate that with heroin or find them similar, that's fine. But he's definitely intended to be read as a cult leader more than anything else.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Noelle has given interviews where she discussed how she grew up in a VERY religious and conservative family and it did a great deal of harm to her, particularly in terms of how long it took her to accept that she was queer.

So yeah, the religious trauma comes from a very deep well.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Incelshok Na posted:

That's too bad. It makes Catra's arc a lot less sympathetic to me. Having someone stick a needle in you then waking up from a pool of serenity makes sense to me. That also being a terrible idea also makes sense to me.

Having it just be Catra going through a Protestant phase is pretty blase.

Uh, I mean it was still nonconsensual. Horde Prime didn't persuade her to get baptised in green goo with a well thought out argument. She got forcibly brainwashed and control chipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Incelshok Na posted:

Which works a lot better for heroin than it does for religion. Especially religion as an adult. If she'd had the same kind of relationship with the Horde as Adora and it just sorta "worked" for her, even if it wasn't perfect then the metaphor of protestantism/religion would work just fine. But she knew the Horde was dumb and evil. She laughed when Adora tried to "reveal" that to her.

Religion does brainwash you, but you have to be open to the brainwashing. It doesn't chip control you -- unless she had a protracted adolescence and Horde Prime has been her parents the whole time? I could see a foster child narrative working here -- it feels really grainy to me because of Hordak and Shadow. But Shadow as an abusive foster parent and Horde Prime as a super lovely biological parent who swoops in to gently caress poo poo up is a believable take.

Anyway, chip control works way better for addiction since that's what addiction is like. Spinnerella tanking her marriage because of a slip-up and a hidden condition makes way more sense if she's a junkie than if she suddenly "got" religion.

I think you're taking the religion metaphor a little too literally, but as others have said, you can interpret it however you want. Art means whatever you want it to mean. I was just adding the context of what it meant to Noelle.