Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So do we have any screens from the other upcoming cartoon yet (the one that’s more of a straight remake)?

The sequel looks good but I’m curious how they’re going to make it accessible to new viewers considering it’s a follow up to a 30+ year old cartoon

In any case, I actually enjoyed the She Ra reboot more than most it seems and hope the new shows wind up being decent as well.

Come to think of it, might it be possible for them to crossover the Netflix She-Ra with the Netflix MOTU reboot and finally bring in the “Adora is Adam’s sister” plot from the original (or would this not make sense with the former’s story, it’s been a while since I saw it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On that note, why does the Netflix She-Ra series seem to be so reviled among the MOTU fanbase? Sure they were under a lot of restrictions (like not being able to use anything from the He-Man side of things except technically Hordak/The Horde) but I appreciate it doing something unique and if anything a lot of the characters are more interesting in the reboot than they were in the 80’s series.

In fact, I’d kind of like to see a He-Man reboot that followed a similar format

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

Sexism, mostly

I look forward to hearing praises for the show where all the women appear to be tall and muscular from the very same people who complained about how She-Ra was not "feminine" enough.

Having seen a bit of the original She-Ra I have to say I actually kind of like the remake better personally and even if there’s no direct crossover it might be nice if they got a few of the VAs from this series back for one of the upcoming shows.

Related, have any details about the MOTU remake that’s also coming out alongside Revelations been revealed yet?

Also I forget, I know they couldn’t use anything from the He-Man side of things for the show but was the whole bit about Adora being a princess that was taken and raised by the Horde still a thing in the remake?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 13, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KennyMan666 posted:

I'd guess a bunch of it is also "it's different from the thing I grew up watching, therefore bad". From what I've heard, even the original She-Ra's voice actress voiced the opinion of it being bad because it's different, before SPoP had even started airing.

As I said above, personally I actually like SPoP better overall. The characters are more three dimensional/interesting and personally I think a straight adaption would have been boring, no offense to any fans of the original of course.

Personally I hope the He-Man reboot that’s coming out alongside Revelations follows a similar mindset but we’ll see.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pretty much yeah (and to be perfectly honest I wasn’t really a huge fan of the original shows as a kid. As such SPoP was actually the first show in the franchise I really enjoyed). Speaking of, is the 2002 He-Man series any good?

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Agreed, going with a gay adaptation was way better.

Hell with it, every series should have a gay adaptation

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 14, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, has the team behind SPoP done any other shows worth checking out?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

By being about teenagers fighting an evil regime, the remake became an anime. And as if that weren't bad enough, they made some bizarre aberation where the women are largely the ones doing all of the action instead of fading into the background or being motivation/cheerleaders for the male protagonist? Like wow, that's hosed up man.

I forget, how proactive were those same characters in the 80’s She-Ra series?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Despite loving a lot of old shows when I was a kid like Top Cat, A Pup Named Scooby Doo, Hong Kong Phooey, Tom & Jerry, and Popeye, She-Ra and He-Man are not ones I ever watched so I couldn't tell you.

Same honestly, I caught a bit of the originals as a kid but never really liked it all that much. SPoP is the first series in the franchise I’ve ever watched to completion.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So how much did the Horde change personality wise in the remake (or in Catra’s case, was any of her original personality actually retained)?

I know the original Double Trouble only appeared as a toy (and I think also some children’s book they put out) at the very least.

Also were there any Horde members from the original that didn’t make it into SPoP?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 14, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

OG Catra was just kind of... vampy, I guess. Not dissimilar to Adam West Batman's Catwoman. Lots of "Purrrrrfects" and such.

I think the closest the SPoP version came to that was the few moments where she acts like a real cat.

I assume her having a connection to/infatuation with Adora was also an invention of the remake (which I assume was added to make up for the fact that they couldn’t use the “He-Man’s sister” plotline for the original)?

I assume the other Horde members were altered as well since I recall most of them just being generic villains with a quirk or two in the original series.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 14, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Was OG Entrapta still the Horde’s tech girl at least? I’m guessing she wasn’t quite as close to Hordak at least.

Come to think of it, I believe every villain in SPoP wound up getting some kind of redemption arc except Horde Prime and I think Double Trouble (including Hordak himself)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 14, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

VanSandman posted:

Double Trouble wasn't a villain, they were a mercenary.

Ah ok. Out of curiosity, why didn’t they ever make it into the original show? I know they got a toy and appeared once in a kids book at least.

For that matter, were there any characters that were invented exclusively for SPoP or were they all in the original in some capacity?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Was the little old woman Adora met in the first episode (I forget her name but she kept calling Adora by her predecessors name) in the original as well?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Android Blues posted:

Madame Razz's character design is one of the few cases where the original is actually a bit more charming. The eyeholes cut into the brim of her hat thing is great.

I’d have to agree with you there. I forget, did Razz have a (I presume) talking broom in the remake as well?

Sort of related, was there a previous She-Ra named Mara referenced in the original show as well or was she another invention of the reboot?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is the Netflix She-Ra series the only one in the franchise with a definitive ending? Also, do the older shows still hold up at all today (I saw a bit of the 80’s He-Man as a kid and didn’t really care much for it)?

Off the subject, thanks to some toy pictures we have our first look at He-Man and Skeletor from the reboot series (the one that’s coming out alongside Revelations):

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 16, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

The original series were episodic toy commercials, He Man just sorta... existed; but She Ra had an actual beginning so it was closer to having a serialized story.

The 2000s era reboot had a pretty reasonable ending every season but no real series ending. That one was pretty ok, if nothing spectacular. Hordak had a couple of brief appearances that make him out to be like the Sauron to Skeletor's Saruman.

I think I heard somewhere the 90’s He-Man series had something that could be described as an ending but I’m not sure how good it was as an actual series.

And yeah, so far the reboot isn’t really grabbing me in terms of visuals but maybe it’ll turn out ok regardless (Revelations looks really good but I’m not sure how accessible it’s going to be to new viewers)

Out of curiosity, why was the 2002 series cancelled?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Which makes me wonder what the upcoming reboot will be like (though I’m not a big fan of the visual style if the toy art is any indication). That is, whether they’ll stick closer to the old show or try to inject some originality like Netflix She-Ra did (personally I’m hoping for the latter)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Personally I love SPoP and unlike most of what came before it had a lot more depth than just being a goofy toy commercial (not that the series was completely devoid of comedy of course) and in my opinion nearly every character is honestly superior to their 80’s counterpart (though Razz had a much better design in the old show in my opinion).

The creators were under a lot of restrictions (such as not being able to use much if any of the He-Man side of things) but personally I think it worked and doesn’t deserve nearly as much hate as it seems to get from the fanbase (in fact, if this was an original series with some names/aspects changed that had no connection to an established franchise I think a lot of people would have been much kinder to it overall).

As I’ve said before, I’d actually like to see a He-Man show done in a similar style to this with more complex characters but hopefully at least one of the upcoming Netflix shows will be decent at least.

Off the subject, has Dreamworks done any other animated shows that are worth checking out?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kalko posted:

Yeah, not sure what to expect from the Kevin Smith one. I can't see it going for the same humour/pathos blend as in SPoP or Spiderverse, but I hope it's at least a little campy. It should have some good visuals; I binged Castlevania recently too and it had some pretty great end-of-season fights, although it seemed like they saved most of their budget for that so the non-fight stuff was a bit sparse (also Sypha has the best mage-fighting style I've ever seen, animated or otherwise).

I'm surprised to hear there was a negative reaction to SPoP from the She-Ra fanbase (also kind of surprised there even existed a fanbase for the original show from what little I remember of it). But I'm also not really surprised because it seems like every fandom based on nostalgia is powered by hatred.

Yeah, from what I’ve found it seems the stock answer for why they don’t like the show is “they changed too much” as well as some calling it an “abomination” or “She-Ra in name only”. A lot of them also get really pissy when you try to challenge them on this.

In my opinion though SPoP is the first show in the franchise I’ve generally liked. I HATED the original He-Man as a kid personally though from what I’ve heard the short lived remake was a little better. It’s fine if you don’t like a show but some of the He-Man community seems almost fanatical about their cheesy toy commercial from the 80’s and would rather nothing change at all.

Plus, the Netflix show does have some fun references to its predecessor here and there (like the episode where everyone was essentially sitting around playing D&D).

I forget though, was Adora still a lost princess in SPoP or did they not go too deep into her backstory other than Shadow Weaver finding her as a baby and raising her as a member of the Horde?

Also considering how Revelations is apparently a direct sequel to the original He-Man I’m kind of curious how they plan on making it accessible to new viewers. But it does have Mark Hamill as Skeletor so I expect it to still be a little cheesy at least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 8, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This fandom is insane and makes me glad I’m just a casual viewer at best.

Speaking of, do we know who’s involved with the He-Man reboot (the other show that’s coming out alongside Revelations) or anything about it besides the He-Man and Skeletor figures/designs I posted a page or two back? Because I kind of hope those characters wind up getting a bit more depth to them as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair, pretty much every fandom has its toxic elements.

There weren’t any cases of staff or actors associated with the show being harassed by these people were there?

Speaking of actors, did the ones for Adora and Catra do anything else significant before or after the series?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 8, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Even if it’s not the same version of the characters I’d kind of like to see some of the SPoP actors reprise their roles in a future show (particularly Adora and Hordak’s VAs)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think Dreamworks has moved over to Hulu now but I’d still love to see them take another crack at the franchise one day.

Hopefully the upcoming He-Man shows will be decent regardless though (Revelations looks good visually at least and seems to have a promising cast).

Though on that note, what could a She Ra Season 6/movie even entail? The series seemed to end pretty conclusively to me (though I suppose they could bring in some more He-Man stuff or something, I could see Skeletor at least fitting in pretty well with this particular universe)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 9, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KennyMan666 posted:

The best friend squad did in the final scenes of the series itself talk about a trip to restore magic to the rest of the universe, so that's one thing. Mermista also expressed concern about Hordak being a good guy now. There's also the case of Horde Prime's army: As Wrong Hordak demonstrated, being disconnected from the hive mind does not render a clone non-functional.

...and I just want to see Catra and Adora's wedding happen onscreen. And, of course, get more Entrapta.

Also maybe not everyone in the kingdom is comfortable with Catra’s sudden face turn (she did nearly destroy reality at one point after all) and as you mentioned Hordak being a good guy now is bound to raise a few eyebrows so I could see them exploring that a bit.

Though considering the former is now She Ra’s girlfriend/eventual wife I would assume they’d be smart enough to not press the issue. It could also be interesting to see how Catra’s dealing with her new home and what exactly Hordak plans to do now that he’s free.

Though I still think a SPoP version of Skeletor and his minions coming in as the new antagonists could possibly be fun (the whole concept from the original of Adora having a brother is probably out the window at this point though considering she’s a First One).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 9, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I really wish Dreamworks would get another crack at this franchise one day. SPoP is both charming and compelling at the same time.

I forget, was 80’s Adora as much of a lovable dork as current Adora is?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, we’ve got a trailer for Revelations:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=81wyj65SJIo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I definitely hear a bit of Joker in Hamill’s Skeletor voice as expected, not sure why they used Holding Out For A Hero as the trailer music but it works pretty well.

It looks nice at the very least though I’m still curious how they’re going to make this accessible to new viewers since this is apparently a direct sequel to the 80’s show

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Do we know anything about the other He-Man show that’s coming out yet (the one that’s more of a straight reboot like the Netflix She Ra was)? I know a few toys from it were revealed recently but that’s about it so far.

Also not gonna lie, I’d love to see a He-Man reboot done in the same style as the She Ra one (though who would Adam’s gay love interest be?)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 10, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I also appreciate from screenshots that they seem to be making an effort to actually make Adam and He-Man look more visually distinct from each other (which makes the whole secret identity thing a lot more believable as a result).

The other He-Man show will apparently be CG and these guys will be handling it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Cool

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 10, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Who knows, maybe they’re making Orko competent in this series or something (which seems like a mistake to me)

Also Skeletor’s original VA Allan Oppenheimer is apparently voicing Moss Man in this series (kind of ironic as that’s one of the few characters he DIDN’T play in the original) while the new Beast Man is Kevin Michael Richardson.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 11, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I just learned that there’s an official He-Man YouTube channel that has full episodes of the original through New Adventures (not sure if it’s region locked or anything though):

https://youtube.com/c/HeManOfficial/playlists

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 11, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If Revelation is a sequel to the 80’s series I wonder if that means New Adventures isn’t canon anymore

Edit: Kevin Smith apparently said yesterday this show is more a 'spiritual sequel' than a literal one (meaning Revelation is kind of a semi-reboot as well)

Also I heard that Revelation is apparently going to be a limited 10 episode series in total (split into two sets of 5 episodes)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 11, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While I would rather have had Dreamworks handle it again (though that might be impossible at this point since they’ve gone over to Hulu), from what I can find the staff behind the upcoming CGI He-Man show seem to have a pretty good track record for the most part so I hope they won’t be afraid to take a few risks with the brand.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, did SPoP ever get a DVD/BD release?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Is it just me or does Teela's new outfit look vaguely She-Ra-like?

Also, I really hope there was someone on the staff for this new show whose main job was to stop Kevin Smith from doing peak Kevin Smith stuff. Maybe a shock collar.

How much influence does Smith have over this project (like is he writing it or more like a producer/showrunner)? Because he doesn’t exactly have the best track record in my opinion (though again, visually the show looks nice and the trailer managed to get me sufficiently interested in the series).

If it’s true that this is a limited run series I imagine we should start getting info on the other show that’s coming out before too much longer now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Revelation is apparently getting a comic as well:

https://www.ign.com/articles/masters-of-the-universe-revelation-prequel-comic-he-man

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not sure about the 2002 series but pretty much every incarnation of the franchise from the original up to SPoP has been at least a little goofy at times (some more than others) so I hope Revelation won’t be completely serious the whole way through and have a little levity here and there.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ironslave posted:

Skeletor had better NYA in this. That poo poo is non-negotiable. You bill yourself as a direct continuation of the old series, you get that jaundiced calcium-faced motherfucker to go NYA.

I forget, did he ever NYA in the 2002 series?

But yeah, agreed (I bet Hamill could pull it off decently as well). At the very least he better do it at least once in the longer running CGI series (we still don’t have any cast info for that one yet do we?). An utterance of the phrase “royal boob” would also be appreciated.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 13, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway, couple new details from Kevin:

-There will be an intro sequence that gives new audiences a backstory, the theme is described as 'sofa king metal'

-The first five episodes will be homages to movies from the 1980s:
Episode One: Superman II
Episode Two: Temple of Doom
Episode Three: Batman '89
Epiosde Four: HellRaizer
Episode Five: Masters of the Universe (presumably the cliff-hanger is Skeletor becomes a god like he does in the movie)

-Smith defended the allegations that the show will be 'woke', citing that it's no less 'woke' than the original, pointing out Teela and Evil-Lyn always had agency, and The Sorceress was always the most powerful character on the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And a slightly more in depth look from the man himself:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GpsmEcGmUBQ