Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Just finished binging this season last night:

Pros:
1. Everything to do with Entrapta.
2. Snarky Swift Wind.
3. More development of Shadow Weaver's backstory, please.
4. Bow's *dads*.
5. Scorpia's crushing.
6. The not subtle dig at "classic" She-Ra during Bow's "battle planning."

Cons:
1. It's been two seasons and Hordak is still about as threatening villain-wise as the principal from Back to the Future.
2. Whatever the gently caress they're doing to Frosta.
3. Catra still being a one-note character.
4. I seriously don't care about this "First Ones" stuff. It's a plot anchor they're desperately clinging to and hopefully it finally develops into something concrete next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

evilmiera posted:

Soooo, Entrapta is in that image but no other villains? Suspicious I say!

Entrapta's made it pretty clear she hasn't become evil so much as Hordak/The Horde enables her to :science: more effectively using their technological resources than staying with the Hippie-style rebellion and focusing on ~magic~.

She's chaotic neutral, not evil.

You can disagree all you like, but maybe being reprimanded will finally give Catra the jolt she needs to become a true villainess instead of just another predictable "WHY DOESN'T (insert person here) LOVE/LIKE/RESPECT ME?!?!" character, of which this show is already too chock full of.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 17, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

yea Entrapta isn't really a 'villain' so much as...amoral I guess? Not a GREAT thing to be, sure, but she's almost certain to get a redemption since she doesn't really have any support for the horde beyond 'they don't yell at me for playing with dangerous tech'.

Pretty sure it'll come down to a "make a bioweapon that'll poison the Whispering Wood and kill everyone" request that'll make her balk.

"But...if I kill everything I won't have any *control variables*..or TEST SUBJECTS!" :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Scorpia would more likely switch sides because once she realizes Catra is never going to acknowledge, let alone *requite* her feelings for her, she'll realize at long last that toiling for The Horde does nothing but sacrifice everyone else's dreams for Hordak's ambitions. She's a starry-eyed NCO who hasn't been made to "embrace the suck" yet and still thinks she's ~making a difference~.

She's likely got a really :smith: story arc coming. Probably culminating with her stealing the Black Garnet back.

But I don't see Entrapta deciding to go genocidal so long as Hordak agrees to bring her to other planets. She might be *tempted*, but nope.

There does need to be a skosh more "dark" on this show, though. Not enough to traumatize kids, but enough to reflect/mirror some of the horror of our world. Hordak needs to be all but branded into an example of what unchecked neofeudal corporatism will do to a planet. They're already halfway there with Adora letting her strategist out and saying "we need to stop being reactionary and be proactive or poo poo's never getting done."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It's strange, I'm sure I worried the hell out of my parents liking She-Ra so much as a kid (since it was the mid-80s and they were pretty conservative back then)...but looking back on it, OG He-Man was *way* more gay.

I didn't want to like this show and the 'kiddie' animation tack they took, but self-reflecting I realized the reason was because the adult characters were a positive *and* negative formative influence on me. Once I found I was able to enjoy this version on its merits, super gayness and all, everything was peachy. I even enjoyed the jab they took at the old series in that episode where Bow's ~strategizing~ leads to Adora briefly looking down and wondering where that huge rack (or likely the more revealing costume) came from.

Also, I know it doesn't make sense, but I kind of like to imagine that "Mara" was the OG She-Ra, even though she was named "Adora" as well when not on the clock. It just makes the series a bit more compelling to me to imagine that.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 22, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm still thinking that Mara was a hero and the Ancients were up to something terrible that she stopped. It feels like the obvious setup.

Or...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcOV68Gx1YU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Honestly, I want two She-Ra shows. This current one that's kid-friendly, and one based off a semi-recent Masters of the Universe comic arc where Adora's a butch-looking Horde commander who has no problems whatsoever wiping out entire populations.

And under the helmet:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Catra is a paramilitary lieutenant who enthusiastically works for a pseudo-corporate entity looking to subjugate and extort an otherwise peaceful society to destructive ends. I'd call that a criminal.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I can't help but think that given Mermista's new attitude, if they ever do a live-action She-Ra movie, Aubrey Plaza would be perfect.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'd buy an Entrapta doll, but only if pulling on one hair length made it say "FAAAAAASCINATING" and the other was just a horrified scream followed by "oooooh!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Rather lengthy clip with Geena Davis' Huntara: https://ew.com/tv/2019/08/01/netflix-shera-geena-davis-huntara-exclusive-video/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, that look Adora gave Catra makes me think we're never going to hear "Hey, Adora" ever again. And I agree, reluctantly, that Catra's *worse* than Shadow Weaver, because ultimately Shadow Weaver is out for herself. She doesn't have it in her to destroy the world simply out of spite. She's driven by hate and vengeance, but she has a limit based in logic and reason. Catra doesn't. Furthermore, Catra understands everything about her life is a lie and *doesn't care*, she wants to gently caress poo poo up simply because she was allowed to exist. She's never been "the chosen one" in her life and Adora being She-Ra means she never will be.

That's what she needed to become a great villain. She can be this show's "Joker" now instead of a sad lost little kitten mad at the fact she got dumped.

And at least we know Mara isn't the OG She-Ra now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

Scorpia would never be mean to Scorpia. She likes her too much! :buddy:

Entrapta and Scorpia are the best characters on the show. Entrapta because she's always so upbeat about anything and everything even with the specter of death often looming overhead, and Scorpia because she's a lawful evil eternal optimist.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'd honestly prefer it if He-Man and She-Ra weren't related if they take that tack. If anything, make the new He-Man a PoC to gently caress with people who'd get super butthurt about that.

She-Ra was only able to exist because He-Man's existence legitimized hers. Since she's the headliner now, that's not required, and we know this Adora isn't the OG Adora from the 80s cartoon.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Best bit of trivia from that movie is that apparently Langella had an absolute blast and Skeletor is, like, his favourite role and he really wanted to do it again.

He *really* likes playing a villain. Watch "Dave" if you haven't before. He was also by far the most enjoyable part of "Cutthroat Island." Can't really recommend you watch *that* one, though - even though I really, really, *really* like Geena Davis.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

100 degrees Calcium posted:

It extremely sucks that Glimmer is stuck with World's Worst Mom now.

I kinda hold out hope that since Angella got herself stuck in the ~space between spaces~ that Micah got dislodged and is ~somewhere~ in Etheria now. Being expelled from a void in space-time, you often don't get a choice as to where you end up - just be happy if it's not in solid rock or a lethal height above ground.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Kevin Smith? Ugh.

Yeah, I don't understand how anyone thought this was a good idea. His Batman run was cringeworthy, save for a somewhat memorable exchange between Batman and a temporarily sane-ish Joker, capped off by Onomatopoeia more or less "fridging" Silver St. Cloud right in front of Bruce by cutting her throat. Smith lost comic cred with me right then and there.

Oh, and in the same series Poison Ivy tries to drug Batman with super-potent THC, mentions her longing for his "tireless tongue," and Silver St. Cloud calls Bruce Wayne "Double D" because "the first night they spent together, they hit 'double digits.'"

She said this to Alfred. Unsolicited. Smith writes snuff/slash fic and he'll probably gently caress up He-Man if they don't rein him in. If anything, it'll be really interesting seeing the dichotomy between the series now that She-Ra is a standalone character and not just He-Man's sister and a vehicle for selling action figures to girls (and five year old Big Headlines).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 20, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

uh i think you got slash mixed up with something else. That's (usually male) gay stuff.

Is it wrong that I'm kind of *glad* I got that wrong? There's also a part in the series where Onomatopoeia breaks the Joker out of Arkham and Joker tells him "he's a Top" if the reasoning is that he's got the hots for him.

EDIT: It's actually worse than I remember. He tells him that he "bottoms from the top" and as he's leaning up against a tree with his rear end hanging out in the breeze Joker tells Onomatopoeia to "not tell Tetch" and "that midget's been trying to get me to do this for years now, and I told him I don't swing that way."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 20, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, on top of her more or less being a war criminal at this point.

"I was just following my hypotheses!" :science:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does Entrapta have some kind of Southern accent? She reminds me a lot of Mina Loveberry from Star Vs The Forces of Evil. Maybe just a generic 'wacky' female voice? I'm not good with regional American accents.

Entrapta has a Minnesota accent more than anything.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 3, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

It’s a Washu voice from Tenchi Muyo. It’s a very distinct nasal rapid fire thing but I don’t think there’s an actual accent.

I'll let Frances McDormand break the tie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Je2WxsqWA

I looked up your Washu voice on Youtube as well and even though there are similarities, and I'm sure it's worked in there somehow, it's hard to tell the difference between it and a perpetually excited young-to-middle-aged Minnesotan woman.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 6, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I've a feeling The Horde works much like the Borg. Once they get an anomalous or familiar signal from an odd place, they investigate and assimilate/exploit whatever they find there. The magic/'technology' to hide a planet in a pocket dimension would be pretty valuable to an intergalactic empire, benevolent or malevolent.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cockmaster posted:

Though it seems Netflix is going to be getting a He-Man series:

https://www.cnet.com/news/netflix-is-bringing-back-he-man-and-the-masters-of-the-universe-with-kevin-smith/

No word if there'd be any connection whatsoever to She-Ra.

I honestly don't want Kevin Smith anywhere remotely near to being involved with this show. He's demonstrated that he's completely incapable of reining in his toxic masculinity when it comes to his favorite childhood IP, and I've no doubt his attempt at revitalizing He-Man will be a grotesquely-realized attempt at bringing the 80s version back, but "y'know, making it edgier."

The only thing that could make me change my mind is if Skeletor gets voiced by Chris McCulloch, because the voice of the 80s Skeletor and THE MIGHTY MONARCH are so eerily similar.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 11, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wonder if there's symbolism with how Sea Hawk keeps setting ships on fire.

Come to think of it I realise I found him so familiar because he's basically a G-rated, more ambiguous orientation and somehow even crazier version of Shore Leave.

Shore Leave is competent, though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

KylexKyle

Found it interesting that Huntara is actually supportive of Perfuma from the start rather than deriding her skills; implicitly she trusts Adora and Bow's judgement enough to presume someone they brought along to the Crimson Waste was dangerous enough to be worth the hassle. (Kind of a theme perhaps given she's pointed out to have stopped expecting betrayal at the drop of a hat) Perfuma's actually a rock solid ally; nice and non-confrontational but entirely willing to gently caress poo poo up the moment you really need her to.

She's basically "nice Poison Ivy" and Poison Ivy can uproot and throw buildings around, so yeah.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember Mantenna because his powers actually did something. Hordak was much better off than Skeletor when it came to henchmen.

Yeah, Skeletor's only competent hench wasn't even a hench, it was Evil-Lyn, who was arguably more competent than he was, but it was the 80s and we already had The Baroness in G.I.Joe cornering the competent chick villain market.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Can't wait for Glimmer to be all "I'M STILL QUEEN" even though Micah has the stronger claim.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Madurai posted:

Micah doesn't have the connection to the stone that's the de facto throne determinant. He can be regent, but not ruler.

Right, but Micah was 'beloved' while she's still a rookie. I'm sure there's going to be friction, and it'll be compounded by Shadow Weaver suddenly being all :swoon: over her favorite student.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Shadow Weaver has such a cool voice, though! It makes it hard to dislike her!!

Yeah, it's like if James Spader were a woman.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Shadow Weaver's motivations are a mystery to the characters and audience, though I'm not unconvinced she isn't fuelled almost entirely by pride and spite.

She's motivated by recognition and validation. She was stuck playing second fiddle in Mystacor, and saw an opportunity to distinguish herself while simultaneously hazarding her student. When it went tits up, she took up with the Horde because it was the only option available to her that let her keep any semblance of authority and power over others. She's like those 'good professors' you have in college who are still in their prime - you wonder why they're not out there practicing and profiting from what they're teaching, and it's because they never want to be "the one," they're content with being the one who taught/has influence over "the one."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

BurntCornMuffin posted:

What we truly deserve is for Perfuma to make the cactus do the loving.

Annnnd with this post it's time to unfollow until the Season 5 announcement.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I kinda hoped given Prime's mention that there had been *tons* of She-Ras that other than Mara we'd have seen a version voiced by Melendy Britt.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

shadowvine118 posted:

I know we were never going to get anything from He-Man in this, but I still really wanted to see how this show would have handled Skeletor.

I just have a feeling that Kevin Smith's going to make him the "melting face" Skeletor instead of perpetually-cranky Skeletor from the 80s version. I never got into He-Man because even at the age of five in 1986 I liked watching a show about a leggy blonde with great hair and magnificent bedroom voice way more than overly muscular guys grunting - I got plenty of that from my father being into WWF.

Couldn't get into G.I. Joe for the same reason. =/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

High Warlord Zog posted:

Mark Hamill is lined up to voice him for the Kevin Smith thing which will probably be fun

I could be down for Chucky/Cockknocker Skeletor. Joker's sacrosanct.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Is it just me or does Teela's new outfit look vaguely She-Ra-like?

Also, I really hope there was someone on the staff for this new show whose main job was to stop Kevin Smith from doing peak Kevin Smith stuff. Maybe a shock collar.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Panfilo posted:

I also dig Evil Lyn's white hair and the moments she takes the helmet off.

:same:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It also just recently occurred to me that perhaps a reason the howling masses are making GBS threads on the show (other than their He-Man show having so many ~FEMALES~ in it) is that the also-ran B-side villains are literally a bunch of cowardly tech-bros who literally drink Kool-Aid.

I'll take any excuse to point and laugh at Kevin Smith, but this wasn't one of them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I also kind of like that this universe actually has *consequences*. I kinda want to see a new G.I.Joe cartoon where people can actually die.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mikl posted:

Finished watching the new MOTU yesterday.

:10bux: say the world will be saved because of Lyn turning against Skeletor at a critical moment.

I mean seriously there's a whole lot of setup in that direction. Lyn and Teela and the others actually bonded over their trip, and Lyn had zero intention of betraying them -- she was shocked when Skeletor popped up unexpectedly. Also, her character development distinctly points towards "I've been doing stuff for other people (Skeletor) all my life, I should really start worrying about myself." She sided with Skeletor at the end because she was put on the spot and instinctively reverted to her old ways, but I'll be surprised if she's still a villain at the end of the show.

I kinda want Lyn to end up as an anti-hero. I mean, one thing I always wanted to have happen in the Potterverse was for a cadre of "evil" wizards to aid the "good" ones out of a desire to be rid of their version of Skeletor - a scary but otherwise incompetent alpha bad guy who held them all back because he was fixated on getting revenge on a baby.

There's always going to be "evil" (subjectively speaking) in the world, and Lyn's always going to be a femme fatale. I just want her to be more "Poison Ivy" and way less pre-split "Harley Quinn."

Panfilo posted:

One thing some of them complained about, is this stereotype in what they think is feminist-wokist media that any and all male characters have to be incompetent and bad.

Which proves they never watched the original show, because pretty much every loving episode was "evil plots, good is dumb and naive, evil temporarily prevails, then He-Man trips over his dick and somehow saves the day."

One of the best lines in this one was Teela kinda-sorta fourth-walling about how He-Man might be the Most Powerful Man in the Universe but he's still got a teenager's mentality.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Vietnamwees posted:

Andra is just sitting in the corner making all her little gadgets with no idea what sexual perversions the others have planned for her.

She's this show's Entrapta in that respect.