Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Vietnamwees posted:

Why would ANYONE want to have Cringer’s position on He-Man’s team!? Isn’t he just He-Man’s mighty steed that he rides into battle!?

I do enjoy the fact that they kinda-sorta touched on the fact that Cringer, a *sentient being* is never given a choice as to whether he wants to become Battle Cat. They *clearly* have Flash Gordon-style rocket bikes in this show.

They covered it nicely in SPoP insofar as Swift Wind *stayed* Swift Wind, wings and all. And everyone knows Adora is She-Ra...when the sword *lets* her be She-Ra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The 80s He-Man and She-Ra were so hamstrung by purity watchdogging that the *new* episodes are way more controversial by comparison. Sure, the characters were more over the top and sexualized (hence some of the really weird initial resistance to the 'kid-looking' characters), but the only "relationship" that was ever hinted at in the original is that Adora and the *original* Sea Hawk kinda-sorta had a thing. And even when I was watching She-Ra when I was five, I noticed that it was strange that Bow was surrounded by all these extremely beautiful women *all the time* and never seemed to be interested in *any* of them.

There's a documentary on Netflix about the original He-Man (and like 5% about She-Ra and 5% about New Adventures) series that goes out of circulation at the end of the month. It's worth a watch.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 5, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

And now the question becomes, whose voice did you read that in, Oppenheimer, Langella, or Hamill?

Oppenheimer.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I know Hamill says he did a different voice with Skeletor but all I heard was "throatier Joker."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, but he's having a loving blast, so I don't really care if it is.

Oh, agreed, but I watched the OG Skeletor in my youth so I'm horrendously biased.

I do kinda hope Hamill's allowed to do "Emperor Joker" eventually. I've a feeling this experience as Skeletor would come in real handy for that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Last Call posted:

If you recognize the artist give yourself a cookie.

Yeah, I'd know Stjepan's work anywhere.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, but the most interesting thing about that storyline was that Adora recognized that suddenly changing clothes and doing good wasn't going to erase a life of committing genocide, and probably never was. It was a really interesting retelling of the mythos.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Larryb posted:

Fair point. On that note, did Adora also have a secret identity in the OG She-Ra or could she just transform anywhere at any time like she did In SPoP?

Only certain characters knew about her. Madame Razz and Kowl, if I recall, but it's been a LONG goddamned time.

And Swift Wind was horn- and wingless and named "Spirit" during the off-times.

Why do I remember this poo poo? It's been 35 loving years. :cripes:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, it was Razz, Kowl, and the rarely appearing Sorceress analogue, Light Hope. And yes! Even her horse had a secret identity!

We also can't forget Loo-Kee. Loo-Kee sees and knows ALL. :stare:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Larryb posted:

In other news, She-Ra is apparently coming back with a live action series by Dreamworks:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/she-ra-live-action-series-amazon-1235061288/

Enh...I kinda prefer it to stay animated.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Larryb posted:

Same here, though apparently this new version will be a brand new take not connected to SPOP.

Then again, the live action He-Man movie had kind of a campy charm to it so maybe this could work if done well.

For some reason I'm reminded of the failed Wonder Woman TV show with Adrianne Palicki.

But hey, ~hope springs eternal~.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Larryb posted:

Hamill also seems to be channeling a little more Joker energy in his Skeletor performance this time (to me at least)

I've always wanted to see Hamill take on "Emperor Joker" and I'm thinking this is the closest we're ever going to get.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, again, I have to admit the five-year-old me who watched the OG She-Ra after coming home from kindergarten in 1985 was all :hmmno: and :staredog: about Noelle's rendition, but it won me over.

Being the little poo poo that I was, I remember being ticked off on January 28, 1986 because the all-day/all-night coverage of the Challenger accident pre-empted She-Ra and really had made school that day a real downer.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I can't help but feel like Smith isn't going to take the tack of Adora being Hordak's ruthless enforcer if the Horde crest at the end was any indication of what's coming in Part 3.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

tsob posted:

They've been trying to get the live action He-Man project off the ground for years according to Smith in the past. So Netflix are probably hoping to use the shows as hype building machines to cap off with a movie or something.

They need to do it while Frank Langella can still play a wise old village elder or Discount Saruman.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Soonmot posted:

hey, so did anyone mention how Adam's mom said she was from earth?

Yeah, it's established canon that she is/was an astronaut who got lost in space and ended up in Etheria Eternia.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 28, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

It's how Christmas came to Eternia.

:cripes:

I actually want to hear Hamill's Skeletor saddled with two little lost Earth kids now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I do have to admit that I'm a little pissed that they didn't give Melendy Britt a cameo in the most recent She-Ra remake. She's still got a really good voice.

It's not like she hasn't worked in a while: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0110068/