Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Samurai Sanders posted:

I disagree. I think OG's blows away V and X and also Z3. Z2's are also better I think.
Maybe, except they're not in English so. Unless we're talking about the GB games then uhhhhh, I dunno I'm just going to disagree!

I'd personally just pick one of X or V and go with that. I don't really see any reason to go back to the old games now that we have some actually being translated. If you can get a hold of the fan translated games those are worth a trip though. I think I started "modern" SRW on JP Alpha Gaiden without ever touching Alpha 1 and that was pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Endorph posted:

on the other hand reinforcement ping pong makes j pretty exhausting to play
yeah but frameskip on an emulator makes it pretty bearable

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I miss the dancouga combo attack from z2 ;_;

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I really cannot imagine English speaking overseas sales are still much of anything in the grand scheme of things? I still find this direction really strange if it's really targeting the west.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Every annoying SR point except like one or two is basically solving orgone cloud. The others are just usual movement tricks.

Oh and like two manipulating allied AI to not kamikaze. Man that poo poo sucked. loving fighter jets! I think I took a month long break soon after that mission.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hokuto posted:

If you want to read an SRW T interview with producers Takanobu Terada and Shohei Mogami, you can find my quick and dirty translation here.
This is a pro click, thanks for doing this.

quote:

—Battle animations are where SRW really shines. Are there any battle animations you particularly struggled with?

Terada: All of the staff struggle when working on the most powerful finisher moves. The staff has joked for years about how brutal it would be if Mobile Fighter G Gundam and King of Braves GaoGaiGar were both featured in the same console game, and now that it's really happening, well... They're hanging in there.
Haha

Man I expected the answer about demographics from the Rayearth question but I'm excited to see what comes from increased attention to the women cut-ins since they've made such a highlight of it now.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 19, 2018

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I always do a morale skill in the early game to get things going faster especially to help get kills to unlock the Ace bonuses depending on the game. You get so much PP eventually so you'll run out of poo poo to buy, don't worry.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'll be the voice of dissent and say No, MD is not worth it if you're not into the OG cast/mechs. The translated script is really just awful too.

Why not just play Original Generations if you're not sure? I guess the partial English in MD would be at least helpful but man that script was so unintelligible most of the time.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 23, 2018

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder if they'll be any major difference between the two versions? there was a resolution, and I think frame rate difference on the PlayStation 4 versus the Vita, but for this kind of game shouldn't the PlayStation 4 in the Switch be close enough so there's no difference?
It was mostly just resolution wasn't it? Some people used to say the Vita version would also cull certain parts of the battle animations but I could honestly never notice it. The resolution stuff was obvious though, the Vita could only output at a pretty quirky resolution.

PS4 is quite a bit more powerful than switch but the switch undocked can still output 720p so there shouldn't be any big issues. It'll be on Bamco's side to not mess it up at the end on the day so who knows really.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

I'm really curious how they'll handle Bebop in terms of like.. upgrades and escalation. I can't really picture a 'final boss' for it.

It's gonna be virtual on all over again I bet.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Light Gun Man posted:

It would be funny if all the Bebop stuff was just hilariously weak, player and enemies alike. Wow we sure feel out of place here...oh. oh, we really are.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Televisio Frankus posted:

The GBA tempo did a lot to make Tomorrow the absolute best battle theme for Sousuke.

I really like what SRW R did for Neo Getter https://youtu.be/oojqBtj2HfI

Last Impression turned out really well too. I had such a blast playing this game thinking back on it https://youtu.be/3apcEZzqIJk

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 20, 2019

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I don't think I ever liked any of the GGG attacks that didn't involve its final attack or Goldion, until Genesic and I suspect that'll be the same here.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

DrManiac posted:

The switch is region free right?
Yes.

What I haven't investigated is how to access the Singapore eshop, assuming there even is one.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I hope so, I want this game much more on the Switch than the other platforms right now.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I feel like that just reduced the amount of mistakes you made, similar to how support attack/defend required the same elevations in both directions or whatever it was at one point.

It's just the unit (enemy and allied) and encounter design. If there's anything the harder games in the series have in common it's usually a combination of crap like actually threatening map attacks, high HP regen+a lot of hp on bosses multiple times per run (as opposed to just once ala Dark Brain), enemies that can actually dodge attacks and you can't spam seishin to counter it, etc. Something like A Portable takes this an extra mile by giving you so many godawful attacks too, let alone the HP bloat.

It's whatever these days. Even un-upgraded runs don't put up much of a fight at times cause the enemy stats can be so depressed at times. The Ex-Hard modes were kind of neat in that aspect even if it was just number bloat. Dunno how SRW X's hard mode panned out though.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 30, 2019

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think I am misremembering how that worked in the really old games and have just gotten too used to having a nearly all-flying units lately.

That or I am confusing my memories with how you couldn't select attacks and Great Mazinger would GREAATA BOOSTAH the tiniest of things in Alpha Gaiden.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I hope they used some of the same people again for the translating (glances over at you-know-who-who-is-probably-under-nda)

Cause there is no way I am finishing X just on the gameplay and series lineup alone!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Revolver Bunker posted:

I just pre-ordered SRW T for the Switch from playasia. I went with a physical copy so all in all I'm paying about $107 for the game and shipping. How much is SRW T on the Singapore store?

About 70-75 USD depending on how you do the psn card division.

I assume you got the rush shipping at least?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Blaze Dragon posted:

It cancelled my order. I think the problem's on my side though, it keeps rejecting my credit cards, regardless of whether I use Paypal or just pay directly with them. It sucks.

And now if I try to pay it doesn't let me pay by credit card or Paypal at all. Great.
Usually check your mailbox for any verification emails when this happens and call your bank, although I haven't used that particular site. It's strange that PayPal would get blocked.

That site is probably fringe enough that verification emails might end up in spam.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Still can't believe they removed Alto's cut-in in his finisher in Z3. Oh well whatever it takes to get the Valkyrie song I guess.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Davzz posted:

edit: Also L was the Macross Frontier units best showing if you ask me.
Maybe in a vacuum but I think every SRW fan was probably really fatigued of that series by then.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Any true SRW fan survived the war that was ACE R

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 12, 2019

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Isn't it just the crappy Gespenst?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The Gespenst looks straight up awfully implemented this time though. The protag I'll grant you but without any way of knowing how much they integrate them into the early parts of the story it's also kind of an Eh Okay for me.

Basically I'm not giving up my Switch version, I'll just wait.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

KoB posted:

you take that back
no if it seriously only upgrades to the fang slasher or whatever then it's terrible :colbert:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man I forgot how good Real Ability from Moon Dwellers is

custom music looking really attractive again, might have to switch to PS4 for T

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Phlogistic posted:

Videos have started to come out of the earlier stages.

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4350260228911513 Cowboy Bebop attack spoilers. That is so cool, though.
lmao, the actual attack is pretty lame once you get passed SUPER SLICK background though

Super rad though overall, glad they found a way.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I can't decide if I want to click these spoilers or not

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hmm should I finish X then? I was planning on jumping ship for T - Y/N

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Play-Asia usually has responsive customer support, it's the one thing they're good at when they're gouging the poo poo out of you. At least in my experience anyway.

Your bank saying it's not their fault is not very helpful though, they should at least be able to see the charge and whether or not they approved/rejected it. If they never saw the charge then it never made it to the bank and you have to investigate on yours and PA's side. It smells like a browser problem if PA is shrugging too.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hokuto posted:

Thank you for the props, Caphi. It means a lot to me. :love: Caphi also stepped up to the plate in a tremendous way, so props to him!

And thank you to everybody in this thread for your support! It really warms my heart. Half the fun of SRW comes from the text and dialogue, and I truly enjoy making that part of the game more accessible to the English-speaking community. When I say this was a labor of love, I really mean it. I've never been happier to work on a series.
Man it's hard to believe we've all been around for like 15 years now playing this series. Thanks again you two~

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Still trying to convince myself to play more of X. I think I'm just going to skip to T though and put up with whatever references I might end up missing. I can barely remember V as it is.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Did they ever come to an adequate conclusion about the switch version and its dlc?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Revolver Bunker posted:

I can confirm that if you buy the Singapore switch version of the game you get the dlc as a download. I'm up against the Gespenst right after mission 1.
Nice, I guess Play Asia then just gave everyone 15 bucks for no reason :V

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Honest Thief posted:

Is the Asian version for switch sold in any eshop region? Can you even have multiple accounts on your switch BTW?
Should be Hong Kong

Which means you will have no way of paying in HK (I think nobody is even allowed to pay direct on the HK shop), so you're going through WhatsMall to get a redeemable code so good luck with that. It's a coin toss when that site works.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 31, 2019

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I basically just pick a series in every SRW and follow that one, one way or the other and I've definitely picked Gundam 00, Turn A Gundam, and Unicorn Gundam in my time.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Iczer would be my vote. I want to see the Dancouga fist bump again but mostly it just makes me sad to think that attack only occurs in a middle installment somewhere. Very surprised we haven't seen Dendoh in so long, same with Tekkamen. Escaflowne is one I see a lot of people mention elsewhere.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Anyone explore the T no upgrade run yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Reiska posted:

Someone on Gamefaqs completed an expert mode + no upgrades + no TacP spending run already and posted a tier list thread for it.
Hm I'm doing expert + no upgrades but I still use TacP management and items. Haven't been buying pilot skills, never really occurred to me.

So far it's fine, nothing really eye popping. IDK how I feel about expert, wish I could re-enable the SR points sometimes but that might be a bridge too far if it were possible.

ImpAtom posted:

If you're willing to use the TacP items then a lot of the limitations of no upgrades are lessened or removed. It actually is pretty fun to shuffle items around for greatest effectiveness.
Yeah, this is how I've been playing I think. I haven't bought any items though if that's what you mean.

---

Incidentally while it's on my mind the Gespenst has grown on me, the neutron beam animation is pretty slick.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 3, 2019