Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Honestly, Gundam could fit in with other, fancier real robots just by sticking it with the niche that Mobile Suits are real good in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Continuous Action may be the best skill, but in the games where it's around I've always found it more interesting by far to ignore it and spend points buying skills sooner and more variedly.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The OG captains were created for the OG games, they're not in anything else.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I'm glad they took that approach; right after Genesis, including a few UC units on the scale of those other series would feel weirdly stripped-down, and there isn't enough uncovered early UC to make another Genesis-style game seem worthwhile.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

Are the Walker Machines from Xabungle real robots because they run on gasoline engines, or are they super robots because they run on gasoline engines?

Xabungle is a boy, if that helps.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Ka0 posted:

In the next OG the should upgrade Ibis and Srey's combined mech to an outrageous monster so they can finally play out their Noriko Takaya/Kazumi Amano duology they have going on.

It's already really powerful; the ability to split apart and use either a MAP attack or a strong supported attack where both units use ammo that isn't shared with any of Hyperlion's attacks put both Ibis and Srey firmly in my higher-scoring aces for Moon Dwellers, and that was without quite the same level of upgrade favouritism I'd given them in OG II.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

G being post-series has been shown to mean there's no Shining Gundam but that's really all it has to mean - MX and Neo both used Death Army units post-series, and we just came off a game full of Gundam villains who were actually still alive (and recruitable). After J, I can't blame them for taking the easy answer to the questions of "What is the Gundam Fight in this world, how does it interact with the existence of multiple ongoing wars from other series, and how do we represent it in SRW form?" that including G Gundam automatically raises.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Any better site to get SGD than play-asia?

I use SEAGM, normally just because I'd rather not use Play-Asia, but comparing the two they look to be cheaper.

1st Stage Midboss fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 2, 2019

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Cybuster's good in X, but I mainly remember it for being a fast, survivable unit to stick a Rescue Unit onto that stuck around for all the G-Reco route splits when the other support units were gone.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

For all that I'm a big fan of Dai-Guard, I feel like T would work worse if it was around; Special Section 3 would be less appealing if they weren't so unique in the cast, and Might Gaine and Tryder complement the "corporate robot" idea while being a more distinct from them than Dai-Guard would be.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I really want to see Zoids come back, Chaotic Century/Guardian Force was the first real robot-ish show I ever saw and it was quite formative for me. I'd love to see that series in particular get into a non-OE SRW, but any Zoids would go some distance towards scratching that itch.

On a similar Hasbro/Takara note, I feel like Transformers is one of the biggest absences from the franchise at this point, if only for its international significance. It'd be nice if the recent Mazinger Z Vs Transformers manga paved the way for an SRW debut.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Senerio posted:

Are there any secrets I miss out on by ignoring the Gundam route splits this time? In X I made it a point to unlock every secret except Glemy.

Looking at the Akurasu wiki page, you can get every listed secret without taking any of the UC Gundam routes; that said, if you're into Rayearth and/or Dunbine you might want to follow the Gundams when it goes to the bigger Regulars/Irregulars splits rather than the short UC/Not UC splits.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Infinity is the better inclusion because there's probably more opportunity for us to get Grendizer alongside it than Shin Mazinger, and as someone who started out with SRW Z I have been missing Duke Freed ever since.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I thought the Buddy Complex units were solid, and the spirit-sharing felt like a fun gimmick, but I probably wouldn't have appreciated them as much if I hadn't taken all the Gundam routes where they're your only non-MS non-original units. It also definitely helped that they had the "I know absolutely nothing about this series" freshness factor going for them.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Moon Dwellers is a great game, but the translation is poor (in a "this sometimes entirely doesn't make sense" way, not a "this is kinda clunky" way) and there are a number of plot points tied to untranslated games. It's not that I wouldn't recommend it, but it's a game to play when you know you're really into SRW rather than something to pick up as you're getting into the series.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The only thing that X-Omega has actually taken away from the mainline games is that T's series list doesn't have a little "New Entry!" star next to Mazinger Z Infinity. I can't imagine the mobile game that uses 3D models is primarily made by people pulled off of the main SRW staff, and with the pace that new series (and old series that haven't been in an HD game) have been introduced lately it's not like we'd have many of the X-Omega debuts in V/X/T if it didn't exist. It's always a little bittersweet when something I love gets into X-Omega, but I'd rather live in a world where all this stuff is in the weird SRW gacha game than one where they're not in SRW at all

Who knows, maybe the existence of data from X-Omega will let them say "Look, fans of the franchise are really into this one show/game, it'll be good for sales" and get the okay to include stuff that otherwise wouldn't get into the next few games.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Admittedly, I'm biased because I watched Gundam ZZ for the first time recently and loved it, but I feel like by actually doing stuff with that show's plot for the first time since Alpha 2 it makes a good argument for having the early UC around, and if ZZ's around then Zeta is just adding two characters and one robot so why not add it in? It'd be a nice change of pace to have another game that forgoes the UC entirely, especially since that would open doors to a lot of different takes on a setting without those forever-around elements, but it sells copies, adds a whole pile of B-tier characters for people to pour excessive resources onto, and provides a lot of units and enemies that have good animations already made to bulk up the cast.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

1) I'd love to see Dragon's Heaven in SRW, it'd add a nice little extra something to a game that had any sort of "there were robot wars long ago" thing going on. But it's a 1-episode OVA from 1988 which as far as I know doesn't have any kind of big cult following, and 2/3 of the major voice actors from it have passed away, so chances seem extremely slim.

2) Honestly, Dancouga Burn was one of my first thoughts for "a series that could be improved by SRW", alongside Getter Robo Dash/Darkness, because both would benefit from SRW ignoring or at least minimising the horny bits that can be gross or at least feel like they're there because they have to be there. In fact, they'd probably fit well together.

Eureka Seven AO's a show I want to see in a non X-Omega SRW, because it and Darling in the FranXX (which is definitely going to get in sometime and will probably be much better for it) both had the same emotional arc for me, where I got really invested and suddenly realised it wasn't actually building up to anything worthwhile and crashed hard. At the same time, any appearance of it will feel kind of like a disappointment because they could have used the original instead.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm kind of surprised Brygar only showed up once. It's a fun crew and it would be easy enough to make them unit only if you didn't want to follow the plot for whatever reason. Are there problems with licensing it?

It was in GC (with the other J9s) and Neo, so it wasn't totally forgotten. Maybe there's just not a lot of nostalgia for it?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

IBO's inclusion in DD was both announced before and released before G Generation Cross Rays, so it's seems like personal preference rather than any hard rule. I suppose you could not count it because it's on a phone, though.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The Ange units that get upgrades are good, Hilda ended up really strong for me when I did those routes because I saw she was event-deployed, poured in some money so she could hold up, and then she got a shiny new mech and was solid until the final stage.

The ones who don't get anything new... There's some decent spirit lists in there if you wanted to use them, and you can get items that lend a bit more viability to weak units, but generally they're just more mediocre supporting cast mechs.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Tae posted:

I'm kinda confused on the flowchart wording of Secret Scenario: Black Brave Express.

Is it basically saying I'll get the secret scenario automatically if I go Japan, but have to try if I take the Might gaine route?

If you take the Japan route, you need 50 kills across the Might Gaine characters by the end of stage 17, which is the stage before the secret scenario. If you take the Arzenal route where you won't have the Might Gaine cast, you'll need them to have 60 kills by the end of stage 14 when the route split happens.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

It won't happen, but I feel like the ideal thing to do with OG right now would be to use as many OGII/MD assets as possible and port Original Generations and Gaiden to the PS5 as soon after launch as they can. Maybe the "VXT have been far more successful because of the SEA releases" thing has looked bigger to me than it really is because of not being in Japan, but after Moon Dwellers being a mess it feels like the step forwards is to give the English-speaking fans the start of OG (and then the rest, ideally) so they can actually follow what's happening going forward with things like the Moon Dwellers final boss reveal. The beginning of a series seems like a much easier sell than a sequel to 2 console generations of Japan-only games.

1st Stage Midboss fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 18, 2019

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Ethiser posted:

Will Cross Rays have the music from the shows? I think I remember something about the last game having nothing from the actual shows.

Genesis had plenty of music from the shows and games it included, so I assume Cross Rays will too.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

On the one hand, it'd be nice to have Banpreios debut as a combiner, but on the other, its component units being finished and ready for separated testing would be a good way to introduce something new for the SRX Team in the following game.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Setting aside people's attachment to the characters and setting of a series that's been going for 17 years now, OG generally has more considered gameplay design than recent mainline SRWs have. Obviously some of the challenge comes from the inevitable "hope these unupgraded units can keep dumb NPC allies alive" SR points they keep going, but beyond that it feels like there's more room for challenge and variety between the broken things than in the likes of VXT.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Just picked up Cross Rays. I hope this trend continues, and that the new SRW gets a localized PC release.

It won't :negative:

They've ported V and X to PC, it'd make sense for the next one to get that too. It'll be impossible to get outside Asia, but it'll at least exist.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

If having to use audio from an old SRW for a major character was a deal-breaker, we'd never see Daitarn 3.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

How do I access the dlc stages? I didn't see them listed with the normal series stages.

There aren't any DLC stages, at least at present; all the DLC is handled via Dispatches which you get to by pressing L3 on the Dispatch screen.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Do I obtain items won from dispatch missions or am I just unlocking them for purchase?

You obtain modifications, but don't unlock them for purchase. Abilities are unlocked for purchase, because those are based on how many of that ability you've obtained in stock rather than being infinitely rebuyable like units and modifications.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Tae posted:

Does Lelouch ever talk during the route splits with Cross Ange, cause that's probably the only reason why I'd choose to re-hash Ange/Mightgaine story again.

Unless you really like G-Reco or Buddy Complex and don't mind spending a lot of time with only Gundam units so you can see focus on those plots, you should take the splits that include Cross Ange because that's where all the variety (including Code Geass) is. I went for all the Gundam routes and enjoyed it, because I was that excited for G-Reco's debut, but the lopsidedness of the route splits must be the biggest and most frequent complaint about X in this thread.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a specific dispatch mission in cross rays that gives out the extra hanger mod? I got one when I first started the game but I can't seem to get another one.

Or just tell me which series ship has 2 hangers and space/atmosphere rank and I'll just produce it.

The Archangel has 2 hangars and B/B ranks, and it's pretty easy to max out the GET gauge on by repeating the intro to SEED stage... 4, I want to say?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

magikid posted:

So are there any SRTs that are a bit more, I don't know, game-like? As in not so much heavy scripting, use who you want, execute a strategy without getting interrupted by the plot every two minutes? I mean as much as I like the general formula here, sometimes it jerks me around so much I don't know what the hell I'm even doing anymore.

For context, I've been playing the "2.5" part of PS2 OGs and just, good grief.

This is basically the SD Gundam G Generation series. You have event units that aren't yours, and stage events do happen to trigger reinforcements and such, but the core is "build a group, level them up, develop more units" without concern for plot and you can play any stage in any order.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

If Disney thought that sort of thing was worthwhile, they'd have done a bunch of special crossover events with big mobile games rather than SRW. Until Iron Man's been in Granblue Fantasy, I can't remotely imagine him being in SRW.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

If the poll was that recent, it'll be after Valvrave's debut in DD, so it couldn't go on the list.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I'd say the big differences between V and X are that V has more independent villain factions where X's isekai premise leads to most enemies falling into one of two groups, and that X largely makes the most of its cast through lots of good one-off moments while V goes for more large-scale tying series elements and mythology together. Both are good games, but V feels like it hits the "this is a representative sample of modern SRW" angle more out of the two.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Midjack posted:

I do not understand why Tatsunoko re-upped an arrangement that basically locks them out of capitalizing on one of the most prominent series of the last half century.

If my vague understanding is at all accurate, guaranteed money for them is more appealing than potentially getting their toe in on a hypothetical bigger, more difficult to arrange deal that would involve more companies. Given all the music, the questions of where to begin releases with decades of shows, and the fact that everyone involved is going to ask for lots of money to license the very successful franchise, it's not like a big new deal for Macross would be guaranteed to come along as soon as Harmony Gold left the picture.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Tae posted:

good lord, it's been over 4 years since macross delta.

What a wasted franchise.

It's been 2 years since the first Delta movie, and the all-new sequel was intended to come out this year but it seems obvious why it didn't. That's not especially slow for a franchise that isn't the type aiming for constant new releases.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

I only played up to OG Gaiden, how much further bloat did OG get?
The last couple of games haven't really bloated the OG cast all that much. If I'm remembering everything right:
  • The MX duo are still around, but they're part of Kai's squad so they slot in alongside Lamia and the School kids. Plus from a player deploying robots point of view, it's 1 unit.
  • Arriere from Real Robot Regiment is part of the ATX team now, so she doesn't require any special "and now we have to go over here to get Arriere" events and has group dynamics with main characters to blend into.
  • The end of OG2nd puts Ing into a team with Irm, Ryoto, and Rio, formalising the loose set of pilots with connections to Mao Industries into a group. He's a pretty quiet guy anyway, so not being in many scenes wouldn't make it feel like he's being crowded out.
  • OG2nd brought in a bunch of Masoukishin characters, but everyone except Masaki, Shuu, and one other character who jumped from OG2nd to the PSP Masoukishin games and back are out of the picture now because the spirits are gone post-Masoukishin F.
  • Josh, Rim, and Glacies from D are still around. They require some level of establishing why they're getting involved when their mechs are dangerous to the pilots and Glacies has a limited lifespan, so they could hypothetically sit out a game, get pulled more into the spotlight to confront their lingering issues, or just have a "this is a serious situation, we can't just sit around" scene like in MD.
  • The GC originals are about, but the aliens including the rival duo went back into space, so it's just one three-pilot unit and a couple of supporting characters. They fill out the "actually like super robot protagonists" side of OG more while having enough military hooks to fit in smoothly, so they're a good addition.
  • The J originals went into space too, so they're not bloating the must-haves but could come back any time if the plot (or fan demand) calls for it.
  • Harken went back to the Endless Frontier, so he can show up or not at pretty much any time.
As big as the OG cast is, there's enough lines to divide characters along for any given scene that I feel like it works well enough in intermissions.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Zeether posted:

Okay how the gently caress do I join units in OGs, I'm still on the stupid Hagane mission and I'm confused

The units have to be adjacent or immediately diagonal from each other and each have at least 110 Will. There's no way to deploy units already joined or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

If Buddy Complex in X taught me anything, it's that there's real magic in an unfamiliar C-tier real robot inclusion in SRW. It's not quite as good as a super robot show I've not seen debuting, but it's always good to have comfortable new robots standing around next to the Gundams having occasional plot twists.