Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Go full 80's Dancougar. You don't get robots until stage 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

WrightOfWay posted:

J isn't so bad once you realize you only need 2 or 3 units to kill a wave and you can usually predict where the next wave will spawn so you can just spread your forces into 2-3 armies

Step 1.) Identify which corners of the map are completely empty.

Step 2.) Send Zeorymer to the one and the OG to the other. Substitute Tekkaman Blade, Mazinkaiser, or Dancougar as appropriate.

Step 3.) The rest of your army does whatever.

Hokuto posted:

You can see what I mean in this video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKDYN1xx2NI

This is so good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's a lot of shows that work with that set-up too.

Excited to see Gundam Age once more.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nasgate posted:

Speaking of W. I just finished reading the let's play(which is great). But it got me thinking about how there's really only two maps that really require you to think about the terrain(final stage with the bridges and the island stage).
Are there any SRW that use that a bit more? It's kind of boring going across flat land/space all the time.

OG1

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That range band isn't a radius, it's percentage of the map .

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

drrockso20 posted:

So decided to try to get through Shin Mazinger again(as last time I tried I got sidetracked about 8 episodes in) and am starting from the beginning, I know the first episode makes more sense at the end, would one watch it after the last episode or does it fit in elsewhere?

Honestly, it doesn't really fit it anywhere. It's basically a preview from the show, but things must have changed in the design between when it first aired and when they produced the rest of the series because the way the episode portrays things doesn't really match up with how they play out.

So if you watch it first, it doesn't make sense because there's no context. If you watch it last, it doesn't make sense because the context contradicts it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Octo1 posted:

Also, this was the premise of Shin Mazinger Zero, which started out as a spin-off of the anime.

Speaking of Shin Mazinger Zero, Happyscans have picked up translating it and have been getting through it at about a chapter a month for a few months now.

For anyone who hasn't been reading it: it's quite good! but it does lean heavy on alternate reality/dimensions stuff (which has finally been explained in the past couple chapters) and it's also gets quite dark and is frequently quite explicit. Be aware.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Endorph posted:

ive run out of mecha series that come to mind for appealing to girls

Chouja Reideen, Yuusha Dagwon

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hokuto posted:

Goddamn this is way more time consuming than I expected. I had to stop for the night but I finished OG1. OG2 will take longer.

Part 1, Super Robot Wars Original Generation 1: Divine Wars

So that's why it's called Meteor-3!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Have you ever skipped a stone on a lake? It's kind of like that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ka0 posted:

I prefered the Vanilla Belzelutes color profile, there's something about royal blue and bits of yellow that don't work too well on my horrible eyes. It reminds me of the Astray blue frame and it's clashing blue-on-orange. I feel blue and yellow work as long as you're doing it like Titans, deep dark blue and egg yolk yellow bits.

Upgrades taking goods designs and making them ugly is sadly an OG tradition.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ethiser posted:

In Moon Dwellers they make some comment about the legs either having or just serving as landing gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKdlYP1eX4Y

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EthanSteele posted:

Thrudgelmir's shoulders and sword that will draw blood and get stuck in wooden flooring,

working as intended

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheMajinZenki posted:

("Gran" being the middle name of those belonging to a Royal family line)

Neo Gran Zon

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Salaryman is an interesting aesthetic for the originals.

Even the giant robot is wearing a suit and tie.

EthanSteele posted:

Mech is definitely one that needs an upgrade. Bird Wizard didn't, but this one feels extremely Generic Robot.

https://twitter.com/shenanigansen/status/723473807810371586?lang=en

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kchama posted:

That we're getting Getter Shin Dragon is interesting, considering its origins in Getter Daikessen (Getter SRW) is that it was a powerplant for Getter Emperor that mutated so they started to use it as a unit.

The design may be from Daikessen, but the Shin Getter Dragon (and it's connection to the Getter Emperor) is straight from the Shin Getter Robo manga.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MechaX posted:

Like, imagine Zengar wearing something basic like a white polo and some khakis

Zengar probably golfs.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MarsDragon posted:

Did he go clothes shopping with Rai?

I'm choosing to believe that Ing and Rai have the exact same height and build, but Ing's head is just that much larger.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Samurai Sanders posted:

If I had watched G Gundam when I was 16 I would have been like "this is so childish, I'm going to go back to my edgelord animes" but I watched it in my late 20s and was like "this is so childish and I love it".

I was at the exact right age to undergo that switch over the course of it's first airing on Toonami. The first few episodes it was the lame show I watched to fill time before DBZ. By the Guiana Highlands arc, it was the only show I looked forward to most.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Droyer posted:

Late on this but if you enjoyed G Gundam I'd highly suggest checking out Imagawa's other mecha shows. G Gundam is really good, and also his worst show.

I love Shin Mazinger Z but at the same time Shin Mazinger Z is easily Imagawa's worst mecha show.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alacron posted:

On a semi-related note, I used some cheat codes to unlock the Vorlent since I'd never used it before and... Jesus Christ were all the OG units this busted?

Pretty much, but even so the Vorlent is quite good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://twitter.com/GideonZhi/status/1087782052357787648

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mercury Crusader posted:

SRW DD makes it seem like they aren't necessarily adverse to the idea of continuing to use ye olden '70s super robot shows. Gimme them back in a mainline SRW game you cowards

Fun fact: Gaogaigar is three years older than Mazinger Z was when SRW 1 came out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Policenaut posted:

SRW DD's roster is horny as gently caress.

That looks like a parody design.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
For my money, super/real has less to do with the abilities of the robot and more to do with it's role in the story. Mazinger Z and the RX-78 Gundam are powered by magic science engines, protected by magic science armor, but also are ordinary enough that they can both be mass produced and improved upon. Despite these similarities, Mazinger Z is a super robot because it's fundamentally a luchador that fights for justice against evil, while the Gundam is a real robot because it's a soldier/fighter jet that fights for a human government against another human government.

The makes the regular Granzon more of a real robot, at least in the OG games, as it's primary role is as a mobile artillery piece that fights on behalf of Bian Zoldark.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 29, 2019

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MonsieurChoc posted:

I just went with Keith Courage every time.

I actually saw a Keith Courage TG-16 cart in the wild a month ago. I wasn't thinking or I'd have taken a picture, but I can confirm it does exist.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Merilan posted:

Altron Gundam アルトロンガンダム Survives Self-Destruct with 1 HP left

So... from there, my tactic became strapping the Altron with multiple New Alloy Zs to upgrade its max HP (it had like 13,000 HP), have Wufei self-detonate over and over and over again on whichever boss was giving me trouble,

All the best video games experiences tell a story, and this is one hell of a story.

Also that's the most appropriate Gundam Wing bonus.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This is off topic, but I'm going to cross post this from an ADTRW thread:

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm hoping some people here might be able to help me with a project.

I am looking to find images of Go Nagai, Ken Ishikawa, Yoshiyuki Tomino and Tadao Nagahama, circa the 70s. I also like to know the source to give credit. (Which is why I can't just rely on GIS.)

If anyone is able to help out with this, I'd gladly give a shout out in the finished work. Either your internet handle or whatever you prefer.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CaptainRat posted:

I'm the weirdo who is waiting on the physical release so I'm probably going to dip out of this thread for a bit just to avoid spoilers, but it's been a real trip going from reading Hokuto's translated SRW 4-komas to seeing them as lead translator on an English(!) translation(!!!).

It's wild.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 20, 2019

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TLO

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Harmony Gold is a fascinating company to look into because they've been doing legally questionable to flatly illegal stuff since inception. They only got into the business of trading foreign media as a money laundering scheme.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
A spectre is haunting the Earth Federation — the spectre of gravity.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just had an image of that little guy carrying 10 ton chunk of plate armor himself and throwing it on the side of the ship, and then doing that another 19 times or something.

That happens in the '05 Gaiking show.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

drrockso20 posted:

Jeeg and Gaiking would be nice to see come back, either the originals or the 2000's era reboots, as would Reideen(would be neat to see either Chouja Reideen or REIDEEN get used too)

God, REIDEEN sucks so much. I remember watching through like half the series back in the day, and when it came to HIDIVE I thought I'd pick it back up again since I was so close to finishing it.

It turns out I actually only watched to episode 5, and the pacing was so slow that it just felt like 13 episodes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
SRW B-Team, with Boss Borot, Texas Mack, and that weird British robot that was in exactly one episode of Combattler V.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The ideology of the SRWs games really tend toward the fascinatingly bizarre.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Well, good to know that we's guy's weren't the only ones with that idea.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neo_Crimson posted:

:same:

I want the next mainline SRW to have a modern take on Grendizer complete with a new mech debuting a la Mazinkaiser. I know it won't happen because no one cares about Grendizer.

Go Nagai did a new take on the property not that long ago, called Grendizer Giga, so it's definitely a thing that could happen.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The OG series has an inappropriate design aesthetic, which tends toward being very detailed and greebly. This works well in other games since, given that mecha from an anime tend to have simpler designs, the extra detail helps the OG mecha stand out.

But without those other simpler designs for contrast, it leaves the OG-verse with a bunch of very busy, very complicated designs each trying to out-compete each other in visually communicating their supposed importance. Compare the Thrudgelmir from Alpha Gaiden, which was BAMF #1, with the Thrudgelmir from OG2, which was just another tough midboss unit whose blade wasn't even uniquely colossal. The style that previously made the unit stand out now makes the design feel samey.

(The style kind of worked in the first OG. The power level was very even and relatively low, so it wasn't too incongruous that all the mecha looked similar.)

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Light Gun Man posted:

voltrons for days

Route Split:

Space Route:
Dairugger
Gaiking