Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
i dunno how the rules go but our new years feast would fit under a "big mac meal per head" limit, which tbf most things that most people cook every day would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
i'm pro life and take no pleasure in photographing this

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
i always add my salt to a pot of cold water because i think having an italian grandmother's ghost physically manifest in my kitchen would be kinda cool actually

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
the sides are prepped and just waiting for the birds to get done

number of italian grandmothers physically manifesting: <1

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Yes a big mac per person fed works fine, just list your ingredients, their prices, and the price per person's portion. We'll probably have more restrictive themes further down the line, but I think this is a good starter.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

emfive posted:

Seems like a 5 ounce smash cheeseburger with minimal accoutrements and a supermarket bun could be done for less than $4, even with decent ground beef (20% fat is pretty cheap even if it's not bulk factory-ground beef).

I mean it doesn't have to be two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun does it?

it's a good price point and easily attainable. i'll start with an eight pack of burger buns and see where I end up in cost:

buns: $2
2 lbs 80/20 chuck: $7
cheese: $2
veggies: $2
random stuff i use like bacon grease or butter, seasonings, condiments, etc: $2
electricity: $1

i can't think of anything else, and at 8 burgers that's two bucks per. $4 is pretty generous for a single entree, pretty good for a whole meal for one person

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

anyone use packets or mixes? when i first started cooking i refused just so i could see how stuff is made, but just because of time i've shifted over to using lots of them. cornbread, gravy, taco seasoning, ranch dip powder, self rising flour, bisquik, waffle mix. i got it all now. i still cook a lot from scratch, but it's nice being able to go from zero to cornbread in like 25 minutes

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
got birbs & gravy

got sides

all right dog cratchett what's the damage

/
                 /
               /
             /

i actually don't know what a big mac meal costs exactly but i don't remember getting out of a fast food joint for less than $8 or $9 in a long time

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Big Macs are 2 for $5 you c-spam mods.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

bird with big dick posted:

we're talking REGULAR rear end PRICES, jabroni. No coupons!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BRB ordering a Mac with 27 extra patties so I can make gold foil covered foie gras

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

i say swears online posted:

anyone use packets or mixes? when i first started cooking i refused just so i could see how stuff is made, but just because of time i've shifted over to using lots of them. cornbread, gravy, taco seasoning, ranch dip powder, self rising flour, bisquik, waffle mix. i got it all now. i still cook a lot from scratch, but it's nice being able to go from zero to cornbread in like 25 minutes

dehydrated soup vegetables are good for stews when you don't have any stock or broth, just add half a cup of those and some water and you've got vegetable broth

oh all right also :ssh: knorr instant bearnaise on broiled salmon with a big fluffy pile of mashed potatoes is a good goddamn meal

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

BRB ordering a Mac with 27 extra patties so I can make gold foil covered foie gras

:arghfist: :burger:

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
I want to buy this lady an account https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLnHowMgwWQ

btw you goons who can at least half-way understand Spanish should be investing time watching Spanish and Italian (and French if you can, I can't really manage it) Youtube cooking videos. It's extremely informative and you get to practice listening.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I also recommend Italian Grandma Cooking ASMR

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Epic High Five posted:

I also recommend Italian Grandma Cooking ASMR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGxZsB5AUpA

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Doc Walrus posted:

we're talking REGULAR rear end PRICES, jabroni. No coupons!

that’s the regular rear end price you dildo you don’t need a coupon.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

looks like im picking up a gat dang big mac on the way back from the gym so I can see how much it is

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

that’s the regular rear end price you dildo you don’t need a coupon.

wait a second one big mac is 4.69 here so that difference wouldn't actually matter much. Proceed

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

you can also get 2 for $5 10 piece McNuggets and sit in the parking lot shoving them up your rear end one at a time

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

you can also get 2 for $5 10 piece McNuggets and sit in the parking lot shoving them up your rear end one at a time

is there room for them between all the revolvers

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

take the revolvers out first.

also legally you have to tell the McDonald’s clerk what you’re going to do with them because they get taxed differently as a non food item.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

with which sauce?

Also, gently caress mcdonalds for discontinuing habanero ranch in my area

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

take the revolvers out first.

also legally you have to tell the McDonald’s clerk what you’re going to do with them because they get taxed differently as a non food item.

you must spend a lot of time shuffling things around in ur rear end to make room for even more things, godspeed

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's a limited-time promotion, unlike poverty that only relents upon the sweet release of death

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
fancy big mac afforders

freaking burgseoisie

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i have ~Ideas~

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I have a bag of black rice, a bottle of oyster sauce and the worst kitchen lighting in the world. Just you wait until I sober up.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

bloom posted:

I have a bag of black rice, a bottle of oyster sauce and the worst kitchen lighting in the world. Just you wait until I sober up.

Behold, the fried rice of Darkness

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

BREAKING: Iowa senator caught soliciting young fair employees for "hot beef sundaes"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Cooking owns and is an absolutely essential life skill IMO. My ongoing project is hand-writing a recipe book to pass down in my family but it was slow-going towards the end of the year, one of my goals in 2019 is to pick it back up.

Thinking about making gumbo this weekend which isn't a super-budget dish in terms of materials, but is budget in that it makes enough food for like a week. If I remember to I will take pictures in-process and post them here.

Crakkerjakk posted:

Beans:

1500 calories per pound, about $1 per pound dry. The choice of the proletariat.

Toss a pound of dry beans in a slow cooker or pressure cooker. Add enough water to cover them by about 2 inches. Add a teaspoon of salt, a bay leaf, an onion sliced in half, and a few cloves of garlic.

If using a slow cooker, set to low and wait eight hours. Beans!

If using a pressure cooker, just hit the "beans" button, maybe push out the time a little (extra 5-10 minutes).

Store in their cooking liquid, I like to freeze them in 1.5 cup batches in ziplock bags (that's about what's in a can).

For black beans, adding about 1/4 cup OJ to the cooking liquid gives you awesome citrus flavor. Adding a jalapeño gives them a nice kick.

I made these beans and they were good, though I either didn't use enough liquid or I let them sit too long because they were a touch dry. I have a similar recipe I used to make in grad school when I was broke where you'd partially mash the beans after cooking them and add some red wine vinegar.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

bloom posted:

Dang I totally forgot I posted this. Gonna try to get something done over the weekend.

C-Euro posted:

Cooking owns and is an absolutely essential life skill IMO.

:hai:

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

C-Euro posted:

Cooking owns and is an absolutely essential life skill IMO. My ongoing project is hand-writing a recipe book to pass down in my family but it was slow-going towards the end of the year, one of my goals in 2019 is to pick it back up.

Thinking about making gumbo this weekend which isn't a super-budget dish in terms of materials, but is budget in that it makes enough food for like a week. If I remember to I will take pictures in-process and post them here.

I made these beans and they were good, though I either didn't use enough liquid or I let them sit too long because they were a touch dry. I have a similar recipe I used to make in grad school when I was broke where you'd partially mash the beans after cooking them and add some red wine vinegar.

I do a refried beans recipe where I stir fry a couple jalapenos, an onion, some garlic, then throw that, some olive oil, a couple pounds of freshly cooked pinto beans in their own liquid, and half a small can of adobo and chipotles into a pot and roughly blend it with a stick blender. Comes out smokey and with a kick.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Crakkerjakk posted:

I do a refried beans recipe where I stir fry a couple jalapenos, an onion, some garlic, then throw that, some olive oil, a couple pounds of freshly cooked pinto beans in their own liquid, and half a small can of adobo and chipotles into a pot and roughly blend it with a stick blender. Comes out smokey and with a kick.

drat that sounds good, I have some dry black-eyed peas that I keep looking at in my pantry. Maybe I'll use them there...

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
a good low cost, high calorie meal is to drink a bottle of maple syrup

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
my beef finger ribs tonight probably also cost less than a big mac per serving but i didn't feel like taking pictures

i do have an idea for a serious entry but i dunno if i want to spend ~$200 to be a dumb contrarian on a joke forum

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

C-Euro posted:

drat that sounds good, I have some dry black-eyed peas that I keep looking at in my pantry. Maybe I'll use them there...

Here's the recipe. It's pretty straightforward.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/02/spicy-vegan-refried-beans.html

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

round 1 of making a simple ginger syrup for drinkmate drinks is a success, quite good but I think the new canister didn't carbonate it as well because it's insufficiently fizzy. May need to do a couple cycles of chilling and shaking to get it REALLY fizzy

used 3:1 erythritol and sugar because I wanted it sweet but also didn't want many calories from it

edit - no pics but just imagine a resealable mead bottle full of dark piss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Wanted to "spice it up" with some elotes, didn't want to make it too ethnic by making Republicans try and pronounce it.

btw, best elote I've ever tried was at a cinco celebration in a town of less than 1k ppl in rural rear end Iowa. The Hispanic population is the only thing keeping the lights on there