Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I've orderd a kombucha mushroom, so I can brew kombucha yerba mate in time for christmas. Very excited to stink up the place with the fermentation process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Crakkerjakk posted:

It's not really stinky. Or if it us, you're loving something up. The mushroom/mother forms a seal over the top of the liquid against the side if the jar and that's what allows the fermentation to happen underneath.

wait, so if the mushroom doesn't cover the top of the liquid entirely, it might not work? hmm, might get a different jar then.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

great write-up, will report back when my first batch is brewing.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

my extended family slaughters pigs every year, and then shares the meat with everyone. years ago I made some pics documenting the whole process, from death to sausage. it's pretty gnarly if you never seen a backyard butchering. I could post some, if there's interest.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

twoday posted:

A great lunch is tortellini floating around in chicken broth with black pepper, parm, and a bit of parsley. I think it could survive in a thermos.

:chloe:

but the pasta will get soft & disgusting. you like that?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

ok so that kombucha scoby finally arrived, but the fluid it was in smelled super vinegary. wonder if that first batch will be anything worthwhile, or just the setup for the second one. bought that thing from some private person on ebay, not anything branded just diy.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Crakkerjakk posted:

Should be fine. Trust the process. About how thick was the SCOBY?

pretty wide, like a thin hamburger patty. Like 5mm max?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Kombucha brewing trip report: Finished second fermentation (apple juice + ginger), and holy hell it tastes so much like vinegar, it's not funny. Like at first the vinegar hits you, then the yerba mate kicks in. It's a pretty wild/weird experience. Like you've travelled to some secluded tribe, they're inviting you to their ritual, and you have to drink this. Not sure if I hate it.
I've made a second batch, this time with way more tea, so I hope the vinegar-y taste will diminish.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

red lentils vegetable stew in a crock pot is one of my favourite dishes

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

are people creating "fake rice" from plastic waste? ffs

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

nice song

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

I'm on my fourth Kombucha batch now, and let me say Mate Kombucha with Guava juice (second fermentation) is really tasty, I recommend. Not surprising, since in the north of Argentina and southern Brazil they mix it cold with Guava and other juices.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

no poo poo I think about that video at least once a month

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

someone do this for cspam please

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

cute

always wanted a rat, but their short lifespan feels a little too short for a pet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Amazing Zimmo posted:

This will probably sound stupid, but what are the red seeds at the bottom of the jars?

mustard?