Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
IRON CHEF C-SPAM: BREXIT CHALLENGE

twoday posted:

The three rules I propose for the Brexit challenge are

- a single dish
- ingredients which are produced in the UK (if it's questionable please prove it is being manufactured in the UK with a link)
- at least one ingredient must come from a can/tin

Made before may 1st

After enough food chat derails in the critically acclaimed TRUMP thread, we've drummed up enough interest to justify making a cooking thread! We don't really give a poo poo what you talk about here, but this thread was made with two specific goals:

1) Share recipes and recipe ideas
2) Get a C-SPAM Iron Chef competition off the ground

When sharing your creations here, we'd love some of the following to be included:
-Some instructions on how you made it, either a short summary or full verbose recipe
-Pictures!
-Make it needlessly political if you can. This IS a politics shitposting subforum after all!

With all that out of the way, I'll start with what I made tonight:

Grandma's "Meritocracy Isn't Real" Southern Beef Tips over Rice
This classic country dish sports flavors as deep and complex as the South's long history of racial violence. Good old Grandma worked long and hard to perfect this recipe, and now future generations can repeat her success with minimal effort as if they had created it themselves! Serves two.

The Ingredients

For the rice:
-1.5 cups enriched white rice
- a few twists from an Italian Seasoning grinder
- a teaspoon or two of butter, to taste

For the beef gravy:
-Enough olive oil to coat your pan
-1 White onion
-1 Yellow onion
-1.5 Tablespoons minced garlic (I buy minced garlic in big jars, so I dunno how many cloves that is)
-1 Pound beef, cut into bite-sized pieces (any non-prime cut will probably be fine, but Chuck or Sirloin works best)
-However many raw broccoli florets you want in there
-A little sprinkle of all-purpose flour
-1 Cup beef broth
-1/2 Cup soy sauce
-1.5 Tablespoons Dijon mustard (The darker, grainier the better)
-1 teaspoon Worcestershire
-1/2 cup repressed anger (It's gotta go somewhere!)
-Salt and pepper to taste

The Recipe

Start with your onions. Mince the white onion into tiny tiny pieces, but chop the yellow onion into thicker pieces. The minced onion will effectively disappear into the gravy, while the big pieces will serve as oniony gravy delivery platforms.
Throw enough olive oil to cover the bottom of your pan and set your stove to medium heat. Add both onions. While those are cooking, chop up the beef and garlic, if you're chopping cloves like a real chef.
Once all the onions are translucent, add garlic and wait for the garlic to turn a slightly dark shade of brown. Then, throw in the beef and brown that beef up. Add pepper, but not salt-- You're adding soy sauce and broth after this, and that might be enough saltiness for you by itself.
Once the beef is browned, sprinkle some flour on it and stir. You want to use just a little bit of flour at a time, so it doesn't clump up. Once all the flour is dissolved and liquids are nice and thick, add the Stew Trifecta (Soy sauce, Dijon, Worcestershire). These are the protagonists of the dish's flavor profile.
Now add the beef broth and turn up the heat until it boils and reduce that boil to a friendly simmer. While it simmers, start boiling the rice in a sauce pan or pot. Take a fork, grab a piece of onion from the gravy and taste it.
Does it need more Dijon? Does it need more Worcestershire? Does it need more Soy Sauce, you loving Soy Boy? Adjust the flavor to your liking, Soy Boy. Once you're done adjusting the flavor to your liking, the gravy will have been simmering for several minutes.
Now it's time to add the broccoli-- tossing it in this late in the process keeps it from getting too soggy. The rice will finish cooking before the gravy-- taste a few kernels of rice from time to time and remove it from heat when the rice is no longer hard in the middle.
(Drain any excess water if necessary.) Grind some Italian seasoning from your cheap rear end McCormick grinder into the rice.
Once you're happy with the seasoning level of the rice, mix in some butter. The rice is done! Around this point your gravy should be nice, thick, and flavorful. Turn off the heat and add more salt if it's not salty enough already. Eat!

Tune in tomorrow for my Globalist Endgame Creamy Coconut Biryani! And share your cooking bullshit with C-SPAM!

Doc Walrus has issued a correction as of 02:13 on Mar 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the secret ingredient is piss

Is this an official Buc-ees statement? I was beginning to suspect something from their sausage sandwiches

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
There's no reason to say "hot sauce" when you could tell us what kind of hot sauce it is, buddy, fella

also we need Plinkey to get in here to tell us how to Stromb With Aplomb

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

yes

Also, to bless our troops I have saved one butterfingers bite that a strange young person was hiding in a bag that came to my door last month. I took the offering and promised to use the food to feed my thirst for more freedom.

put the sriracha on the butterfingers

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

The father has forsake me

it's rare to see a thread receive the warmth of satan's blessing on page 1

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

I think a "Pick out all the metal shards and set aside" step would add a lot of depth to their recipes actually

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Peanut President posted:

mashed potatoe (dan quayle reference)

they're real easy so if you make them from a box or bag or what have you you're probably gonna grow up to be a republican sorry but thats how it works

peel potatoes
rinse them off
cut them into chunks
boil em in water til you can stick a fork in the middle with little resistance (like how liberals offer little resistance to wall street hey-o)
drain most of the water off
butter
pour milk until barely covered
get a potato masher (yes that's a thing you can buy, can probably find them at an estate sale if it was some old lady there's probably a boxed lot you can buy full of old rear end kitchen stuff like that its where i got mine)
just mash them
take your anger out on them
go hog wild, the more you mash the softer and fluffier they get
do it til you don't see any milk

mahed potate

I am loving god awful at making mashed potatoes because I struggle to identify when a potato's fully cooked and ready for a M*A*S*H marathon so I'm gonna refer to this post next time I try

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Hope you have a big rear end frying pan with high walls because we're making:

Globalist Endgame Creamy Coconut Biryani
If Hillary Clinton's DemonRats win a single election then John Podesta and his spirit cooking satanist cabal will take our culture and many others, mix them in a godless unbaptised frying pan, and sautee them until all the values and heritage are cooked out.
With chicken, mushrooms and notes of coconut cream, lime juice, and lemongrass, this Thai twist on Indian fried rice has a knockout flavor that only the second amendment can protect our daughters from.

THE INGREDIENTS
-2 cups basmati rice
-2 cans full-fat coconut milk (DO NOT SHAKE OR STIR)
-1 pound chicken (cut into small pieces. I used chicken breast)
-however many Baby Bella mushrooms you want
-about a foot of lemongrass, cut into smaller sections
-Bay Leaves
-handful of Thai Chilis or Habaneros
-Onions (1 white, 1 yellow, 1 red)
-2 tbsp minced garlic
-2 tbsp minced ginger
-1/4 cup chopped cilantro
-Your spices: 2 tsp coriander, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp white pepper, salt to taste
-like at least half a cup of lime juice, I don't measure

THE RECIPE:
Basically you're throwing a bunch of poo poo in a pan on medium heat, then dumping uncooked rice over it to soak up all the juices and become incredible. If done correctly, you'll have tender fully cooked rice without adding water or broth.
Feel free to keep some chicken broth on hand to add moisture if there isn't already enough from the oil, onions, mushrooms, coconut cream and lime juice.

Start by rinsing your rice and soaking it on the counter. You only need enough water to cover the rice. Add olive oil to your pan and cook your onions, mushrooms and aromatics on medium heat.
With this much onion and mushroom, you should have enough moisture for the onions to basically liquefy. Once this happens, add the chicken and cook, stirring every few minutes.
Once the outside of the chicken is white with no raw red spots (It'll have plenty of time to fully cook as the rice cooks), open your coconut milk cans. Drain the rice and dump it in the pan.
Immediately scoop the thick white coconut cream off the top of the coconut milk onto the rice. Add your lime juice and stir. This should be enough moisture to cook the rice, which will take 15-20 minutes.
Taste it every few minutes to gauge how cooked the rice is, are the flavors strong enough, etc. Keep your coconut milk (or chicken broth if you prefer) handy in case you need more liquid for the rice.
Once the rice is tender turn off the heat and add any spices you think it needs more of. Eat!

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Sous Vide: Eat Like You Deserve To Be Guillotined

Sous vide is very good for eggs as well-- poached, soft boiled, hard boiled, whatever. My next recipe will probably be deviled eggs but I can't think of a good title for a deviled egg recipe

Frumply posted:

I make fresh pasta at work all day and the last time I did 30 pounds of ditalini i got a bicep injury. Luckily my job pays so poorly that I still qualify for medicaid. :911:

Hows that for some cspam cookin~

Turn the bosses into spicy meatballs and feed the people

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Speaking of rice and beans, tomorrow I'll be making Cilantro Lime Rice topped with Feijoada (Brazilian black bean stew) and I'll be posting the results. It'd be very nice if it comes out right, since the ingredients are so cheap.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Peanut President posted:

I thought you weren't supposed to fridge plain cooked rice because of listeria?

I thought the listeria risk was from leaving it on the counter overnight. Leaving cooked rice in the fridge overnight is considered standard practice for cooking fried rice.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

i say swears online posted:

help i can't stop making breakfast. i just made a giant skillet full of hash browns, sausage and scrambled egg i'm using for breakfast tacos, but now i'm thinking of using the leftover sausage for sausage patties. i have a green pepper that i'll cut into rings; i'll brown each side of the ring and then fry an egg in the middle. combined with a biscuit or english muffin, that's a dang good sandwich

also thinking about trying out my new black friday $7 waffle iron before i go to bed

yeah i even leave the lid off so it gets drier

You're a loose breakfast cannon. I need to cook ring shaped things with eggs in the middle more often.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

twoday posted:

roasted wet garbage in ice trays: a love story

I need to get a big rear end stock pot and start doing this. I'm using some bone-in chops tonight, so that'll be my starting point!

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

I've eaten nothing but McDonald's hamburgers for every meal for the last 6 months. I'm killing myself in the most passive aggressive way possible. Pray for me.

A while back I tried a TRUMP burger to see what it was like. It's a double quarter pounder with its top bun replaced with a fish delight. The grease washed off, but the shame didn't

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

has someone posted a good recipe for rear end yet?

If you're looking to infuse vodka for a party, look no further. Just make sure the rear end is upside down when you incorporate the ingredients

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
FEIJOADA

HALF PORK
HALF BLACK BEANS
ALL POWER

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I'm sipping nog. this is also an alcohol thread, because alcohol is food

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Crakkerjakk posted:

Let's talk about salads.

I need to eat more salads. What oil/vinegar type dressing would you use for a salad that used a roast cashew/ garbanzo mix as its protein? I'll make some tzatziki dressing too of course. Tzatziki goes with goddamn near everything.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Crakkerjakk posted:

Roasted cashew & garbanzo sounds vaguely Asian to me, I'd probably do the sesame one. I tend to get stuck on balsamic honestly, it's just easy and good.

Or maybe lemon tahini?

1/2 cup tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cold water

Shake together, let chill for 30 minutes to thicken, thin with a bit more cold water to desired consistency. You can also add up to 3 tbsp of various chopped herbs (dill, cilantro, parsley, tarragon, etc) for something more Herby.

My kind of ideal meal plan which I tend to be too busy to stick to is beans & rice bowls for lunch during the week, big salads for dinner during the week, and then experimenting with other stuff on the weekend. A giant salad a day is pretty good for you and fairly low calorie while still being filling.

"Giant" is what I've been missing out on. I need to get some bigass tupperware and make some salad crates. I've started doing the rice and beans thing for weekdays and it's treating me very well so far. Whenever this 3-pound tub of Feijoada is gone I'm gonna try making Mexican rice for the first time.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Baloogan posted:

french slowcucked onion supe

i cuck the onions, alot of onions, cuck em longitudinally
like, 10 of em, or 15 if they small

butter hella butter, salt sugar brown sugar tyme and bayleafs
then 10 hours of slow cucking (on HIGH)

then beefstock and a bit of brandy then more slowcucking

then serve with home cucked bread with melted cheese

what onions do I cuck
what cheese do I melt on the cucked onions
what bread do I sleep with behind its spouse's back, and then serve alongside homemade french slowcucked onion soup

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

A great, terrible, powerful post

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

ayyyy I was thinking about posting this. Matty Matheson is great. I wouldn't pay $13 for his "Ultimate Burger" but still, he's great

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Plinkey posted:

if my secret santa doesn't buy me his book since it's on my wishlist imma buy it for myself

I'm dumb and old and hoping for a costco membership for christmas

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Willie Tomg posted:

*screeches whitely* add a lotta BUTTTTTer and CheesEEEEESsssEEEEE

the internet: oh my god. that's lit. that's so dope.

I like how one of his videos starts with him grabbing his friend and saying "HEY SAY HI TO MY FRIEND" and she's like "Why are you yelling"

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Just tasted Kewpie mayo for the first time, and holy gently caress guys

I don't even like mayonnaise. At all. But this is some really good poo poo. Tried it on a burg and some chicken, next I'm gonna make deviled eggs with it

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Let me reiterate how wonderful Kewpie is. I literally tried it one time, and HW Bush dropped the gently caress dead

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Grimoire posted:

Listen up you fat motherfuckers, eat some Chanko Nabe Sumo Soup and get swole from wrasslin' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4EirVa3tAw. Pork/Beef/Fish broth with daikon, bok choi and onions. Pork meatballs made with panko and onions, maybe some pork belly or shrimp if you want. A shitload of ginger and soy sauce and garlic. The secret ingredient is rage. Serve with rice.

I'm browning some pork meatballs for this right now and already I wanna suplex a binch.

edit: The soup is actually pretty lean, you could use it to cut. Just strip out the rice and/or noodles and DON'T eat 10 big bowls of it a day

I've been meaning to make this. What's a good recipe for meatballs meant for soup?

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
The first burger posted in Cooking With C-SPAM is required to be a monstrosity

Featuring bacon, sauteed onions, colby jack cheese, kewpie mayo (not pictured), and a third slice of bread in the middle

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
This sushi joint I'm going to tomorrow has Camembert Tempura on the menu. I'm gonna try making my own batch but I dunno how I'm gonna keep instant-melt cheese contained in tempura batter. None of the recipes I've found say to freeze the cheese first so :shrug: we'll do it live

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

get that OUT of my face posted:

an excellent japanese youtube cooking channel is Cooking With Dog. no, they don't eat dog on it. here's an appropriate recipe for the holiday season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmLkPBut8nI

unfortunately the dog died two years ago. two days before election day 2016, even. the world was trying to tell me something

And then they replaced it with a cartoon dog, which just kind of compounds the :smith:

VERY good channel though

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Mandoric posted:

欧好み焼き (or, "[tl note: untranslatable pun]")

A perfect blend of chaos and quality. A dish for C-SPAM

My dinner tonight's less impressive but still turned out tasty. I tried asian fried rice instead of my usual biryani (biryani is much easier imo) with pork tenderloin, egg, thai chiles and mushrooms.

The texture is all wrong-- I didn't cook it on a high enough heat for fear of burning it, so it's not as crispy as fried rice is supposed to be.

Also I posted one of my famous paper plate pics in GWS once and wew lad, they did not like it

Doc Walrus has issued a correction as of 03:39 on Dec 7, 2018

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/JessicaHuseman/...agenumber%3D577

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

twoday posted:

What’s a good pizza topping combo?

olive oil as the sauce, mozzarella cheese topped with ricotta, red onions, capers, and smoked salmon. Bake it without the salmon of course, then put that on the cooked pizza

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Mandoric posted:

I made that the other night, I froze it briefly (maybe 10 minutes) but mostly it was just a really, really quick fry after cornstarch-egg-flour. With a real batter you can probably get away with even longer.

War crimes against Japanese cuisine effortpost incoming as soon as I figure out how to pull poo poo off my phone, which wants to be recognized as a MIDI input and not mass storage.

Frumply posted:

pretty much anything you are going to fry can be prepped and frozen ahead if time. theres no way a restaurant is breading and frying anything to order unless it’s dead simple.

Alright I'll chill for 10-15 minutes first.

In other japanese news, I just went to a live bluefin cutting at the local bougie grocery store and got some very, very marbled tuna for poke bowls later tonight. I'll :justpost: the results

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Here's the 3/4 pound Bluefin I got:

Sliced it nice and thin against the grain like a steak, and it just melts in your mouth. I put it on a poke bowl with avocado and cucumber and drizzled spicy mayo (Kewpie mayo + Secret Aardvark Habanero Sauce) all over it.
Very, very nice dinner. I didn't take pictures of the full meal because the avocado, while tasty, was super ripe and dark and gross looking.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

so how much is that lil hunk of blubber

22 trumpbux

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Willie Tomg posted:

nothing communicates leftist solidarity like eating an endangered species that's like $4/oz lmao

It's from a farm!

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Prav posted:

Cooking leftovers for breakfast with Prav

1. Open refrigerator
2. Take out suitable leftovers
  a. Potatoes
  b. Kålsnus

3. Find a clean plate.

4. Microwave.
5. Serve with lingonberry jam and must since it's too early in the morning for beer.

Preparing leftovers-to-be:
Note: I don't really do measures. Have fun. Also all photos are post-facto since I wasn't really planning on doing a writeup.

Kålsnus 6(?) servings
Kålsnus is a savory cabbage and beef dish that's traditionally served with potatoes, but also goes fine with pasta in my experience. You can make it as wet or as dry as you prefer.

500g ground beef. 50/50 pork/beef is also fine.
300g yellow onions. Give or take a hg.
a bag (400g) of pre-shred cabbage. or chop it by hand I guess, I always end up with half a head of cabbage hogging my fridge for ages when I do though.
Butter.
1500g mealy potatoes.
A few dl of water or light lager beer.
Some pretense of salad. In this case I thawed some peas and a few leftover haricots verts.

Seasoning:
A dab of worcestershire sauce.
Bouillon, 1 cube veg 1 beef.
Soy by preference.
Mixed ground peppers, black, red etc (I use Pepparmix).
--- Below this line is largely optional ---
A hint of coarse-ground mustard seeds.
Small dash of allspice.
Coriander.

First, find a suitable sap to peel the potatoes for you. Put water to boil.

Finely chop the onions and fry them in some butter. Add in the cabbage after a minute. Let fry until lightly golden. Put the vegetable fry aside in a bowl or whatever and fry the beef. Add more fat if the pan's dry, but no reason to go overboard. Brown the beef, add in the onion and cabbage. Add the fluid (water or beer), wait a minute or two before seasoning. Make sure the bouillon cubes get mixed out properly in the sauce. Let simmer until the potatoes are done. Add more fluid if it starts going too dry.

Find a sap, previous one will do fine, and have them set the table. Serve with the pretense of salad, lager beer and lingonberry jam (if unavailable, why maybe try some other sweet & sour berry jam idk).

My CSPAM political statement is that I don't cook as a hobby. I cook because someone in the household has to and I can't afford having some service worker do it for me every time I want something better than macaronis and meatballs. The most expensive ingredient in this recipe is the ground beef, and as noted replacing half of it with ground pork is just fine.

The ingredients involved, sans cabbage and potatoes since I used them all and onions since I forgot to include them:

Kålsnus sounds great, I'm always open to more things to do with potatoes. Also what should we do for the first C-SPAM IRON CHEF? Should we do a political theme, a food theme, or both at the same time? I'm assuming the theme won't be sushi.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
OK I get it it, I won't post any more fish.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

twoday posted:

If you want to ball out on seafood, eat oysters and thereby encourage oyster farming, having more oysters in the seas filters out a lot of the ambient pollution and encourages a healthier overall biome

Oysters filter out pollution? :eyepop: I think I had fried oysters once and I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

frankly i didn't even know they farmed bluefin, or any other larger ocean fish. i thought we were still just on crawdads and tilapia, since that's all that's around here

also in your first post i thought you were potentially in japan at an illegal sale lol, but you'd have paid ten times the price

hasn't bluefin tuna always been available in the US? I assumed I was just buying what every sushi joint sells