Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SardonicTyrant posted:

Ok, I have no idea how to cook and prepare chicken breast, it always comes out dry and gross. CSPAM, help?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/easy-pan-roasted-chicken-breast-lemon-rosemary-pan-sauce-recipe.html

however if that's a bit too much work one easy technique to cook a chicken breast is to butterfly it first and then put into a ziplock and pound it a bit until it's even thickness. use a meat mallet or another pan to pound it down a bit. it will ensure that you get even cooking all the way through and no overdone areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

i say swears online posted:

alright four loaves in on this sourdough over the last couple weeks and they smell exactly like cheap takeout hot and sour soup. what's up with that

pretty common to add vinegar to H&S soup so that might be what you're smelling

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
sautee

or if you do it at a high temp, sear

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it's from the most cringe inducing title of a cookbook

"pow wow chow: a collection of recipes of the five civilized tribes"

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
if you wanna drop some coin on beans go to rancho gordo's website and bean away. dont buy 'soup kits' of beans just buy beans and make soup

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Maya Fey posted:

dude you can just buy bread from the store

sut da gently caress up

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
fuckin smash burg time

dat boi (is crusty)

on brioche bun

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Doc Walrus posted:

I need to try smash burgs again, I keep using too much meat and they don't smash thin and crispy enough. I've got a ton of ground bison in the freezer, might attempt soon

My girlfriend's learning how to make tortillas! So maybe soon I'll have some weird tacos or quesadillas to share

2.5-3oz per patty is the sweet spot imo. I use a scale and always go for 3.

they are just so easy to make and FAST that I cannot fathom why restaurants use poo poo frozen patties.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

this thread is about food, not the musical group, hth

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
what about mae ploy brand? and a whole can? usually most recipes say to use about 1 or 2 tbsp per can of coconut milk

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
is it too early to get a fish sandwich

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I gotta admit, the fish just wasn't as good as I had hoped but the bun was excellent

from a few days prior:

G E T S M A S H E D

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

uber_stoat posted:

yasss kween

da fuckin best baybeeeee

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I should take advantage of the cooler weather this weekend to make a batch of chili oil.

im doin this too, just used up my last batch

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hey malone if you want some smoked pulled pork hmu I have a smoker and regularly use it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

lonely q meal vibes

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

is this a thing where I can bring you raw meats and you process it and then we pig out? because hell yes let's do it. I'll pm you.

also: my wife (god bless her) explained to me that the whole point of "use just three ingredients to make delicious pulled pork with zero effort!" recipes is to give people the mental space to cook their own food and then maybe branch out.

yeah hmu via pm

since this stuff usually takes so long to cook its easier for me to buy extra meat and cook it at the same time and you can just pay me for the cost of the meat. i can do 4 shoulders at a time, 6 racks of ribs or a full packer brisket

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

spatula posted:

I'm terrified of mandolins so I've avoided getting one. I am not sure it would get a ton of use anyway. It drives me crazy how no one on the TV cooking shows uses the hand guard and someone always ends up cutting themselves on the mandolin, come on!! This was avoidable!

What kinda kitchen gadgets have y'all bought that got a ton of use?

My air fryer was a better buy than I expected (its like a more functional toaster oven), as well as my immersion blender

cut gloves save the day, absolutely should come with every mandoline purchase

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

snoo posted:

what kinda freak eats raw mushrooms

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

THS posted:

how often do you have to change out or sharpen the blades on a mandolin? assuming normal use choppin a few cabbages, onions, and peppers every week

they seem to hold an edge really really well compared to a normal knife imo. take the blade out and test on a piece of paper and decide if its sharp enough for you or not.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Spoondick posted:

breakfast burritos are good, big fan of crispy potatoes or fries in burritos in general... if only there were a way to make a taco shell out of hashbrowns without it falling apart

I'm envisioning using a waffle iron to cook hash browns, removing them before they are too crispy, and bending them into taco shell shape to let them cool

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Moot .1415926535 posted:

gonna sous vide some salmon for the first time. thinking rosemary and honey in the bag, but anyone have a better recipe?

yeah

put it on the grill instead

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
king salmon is so affordable in the pacific northwest lmao at buying farmed trash salmon

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

twoday posted:

Anyone have a good recipe with a lot of oregano? I have too much oregano

https://www.google.com/search?q=ser...chrome&ie=UTF-8

imo you should double the amount of marinade the recipe calls for so that you have more to drizzle on the chicken when you do the second cook

and dont make the white sauce in that recipe, it fuckin sucks so much. this one is much better:
https://www.thrillist.com/recipe/new-york/halal-white-sauce-thrillist-recipes

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nah i can't have dairy for polite reasons and my youngest can't have it for more dire reasons.

it's wild how just broth + squash + nutmeg + garlic tastes so good

what about ghee?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I use about a dozen eggs whenever I make creme brulee

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Gio posted:

does anyone have any chili tips?

i use beans but i dont really like beans in my chili tbh. just do it bc its “the thing to do” i guess?

do this:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe.html

add beans or don't i dont give a gently caress just eat the chili

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

snoo posted:

every weather is soup weather if you're not a coward

yeah pho is insanely good when it's hot out

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Marx Was A Lib posted:

The only thing I can really respond to this chili on spaghetti thing is a string of upset vowel sounds that is the distress call of my people.

it shouldn't be called chili and it's just a greek-american meat sauce for pasta

once you realize that there's nothing to be upset about, it's tasty

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

i say swears online posted:

i have a lil baby crock pot that's just for queso

thats truly the only good use for crockpots

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

they are super loving spicy and my wife keeps asking me to stop making spicy food

i can't help it. there's so much flavor in those little fuckers.

they last like a year in the fridge in a sealed container

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Eat This Glob posted:

i was at the grocery store yesterday and the store was selling 5 pound bags of King Aurthur flour for like $8, which very expensive

probably a bougie store then, i get it for 3something for AP flour and 4something for bread flour at my local WinCo

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
close enough? these own and you'll definitely grab some antacids after eating

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/easy-pull-apart-pepperoni-garlic-bread-recipe.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hell yeah

also, Tums Tums Tums

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
whole roasted chicken recipes? here ya go

I made this last night again and it's always amazing

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/slow-roast-gochujang-chicken

definitely let it bake for the full 2.5-3hrs

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nachos

edit: soup sounds dreadful. just freeze the remainder and use it later

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
wife wanted a breakfast sandwich for dinner but i was way too hungry for just that

homemade buns, two smash patties, two cheese slices, two bacon slices, one runny egg, secret aardvark hot sauce and zero regrets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

show me that bun recipe so i can make those buns at home please

from the burg thread

beerinator posted:

I use this one. It's a great, super soft bun. I'm not exactly sure where I copied and pasted the text/directions for this recipe, but it's based off the video linked below.

BUNS

Tangzhong:
2 tablespoons (20g) bread flour
2 tablespoons (27g) water
4 tablespoons (60g) whole milk

Dough:
1/2 cup(120g) whole milk @ 95f (30c)
1 tablespoons (9g) instant yeast
2.5 cups (320g) Bread flour
1 teaspoon (7g) fine sea salt
2.5 tablespoons (35g) granulated sugar
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
3 tablespoons (42g) unsalted butter, softened

Egg wash:
1 whole egg
splash of whole milk

Make the Tangzhong. Combine milk, water, and flour in medium saucepan. Whisk over medium heat until mashed potato texture. Take ½ C Whole Milk to 95 F. Add yeast, stir, and let sit 10 minutes.

In mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, and salt. Whisk and then fit mixer with dough hook. On low speed, slowly add milk mixture and the Tangzhong paste. Follow with the egg and egg yolk. Mix on medium low until thoroughly incorporated.

Gradually add the butter- GRADUALLY! Let the mixer knead the dough for 5-8 minutes until smooth.
Place seam-side down dough ball in greased bowl, cover with damp towel and place in warm area for 1 ½ hours.

Once dough is doubled, punch down & divide into 6 even pieces (weigh to be accurate).

To shape: Gently stretch the piece of dough toward the center, turn over, and gently pull toward you, pressing the seams further. Make a perfect, tight ball for the perfect bun.

Place dough balls on baking tray lined with greased parchment. Place inverted baking sheet over the top to prevent drying. Lest rise for 1-2 hours.

Brush the entire top of the buns with egg wash.
Bake at 375 for 16-18 minutes until golden brown. Brush with melted butter & let cool.