Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I've started steaming my tortillas for burritos and it's changed my world. grill them shut when you're done putting the goods inside and it's like your house is a Taco Bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I did teriyaki chicken thighs on my bbq (using a baking steel as a grilltop) and served them over a bed of rice w/ steamed broccoli

hell yeah

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I've got some vermicelli, lettuce, chicken, cucumbers, and nuoc cham. Lunch is gonna be good.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

How do you peel an asparagus? Just very carefully?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my lovely sister in law told me you could make pulled pork with some pork butt and a can of root beer in a slow cooker.

I did it and it worked but it tasted like pork butt someone cooked in a root beer.

How can I make pulled pork that is similarly easy but doesn't taste like rear end?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

that's the other thing: the liquid

how do i de-fat it? just leave it out on the counter and then scoop off the lipids? Or is there an actual process I should follow?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Are those carrots fresh or pickled?

gently caress I love vermicelli

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

typically a pork butt has a giant slab of fat and so when I made it last time I put that on top so it would drain down into the meat.

When it was done cooking I wasn't sure what to do with the slab of fat so I just sliced it off and removed it.

Is there a more elegant way? I thought about rendering the removed fat but I got lazy and just tossed it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Like I'm trying not to be a prototypical goon looking for a meat tutorial, but I don't know anything about working with huge slabs of meat like this

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

hell yeah thanks for all of these tips and bits of info.

my highly GI sensitive son loving loves pulled pork so this is 100% for his lil hosed up guts.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

You folks have pointed out at least six things/ingredients I wasn't doing/using so I'm already hopeful that my next attempt will not taste like A&W jizz.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Doing ANYTHING over high heat is ideal on a grill.

I'm gonna get a lovely wok just for aerosolizing hot oil and making proper fried rice.

number 1 snake fan posted:

I'm in the same boat as your kid, good luck!

It's more for me than him. He loves the hell out of the root beer pork but I'm not eating that garbage.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I've seen other recipes that call for Dr. Pepper but the whole thing just makes me think "well, what is in sugary/spicy soda that is actually working in this recipe?"

lmao the answer is sugar and spices.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Someone told me about braised chicken thighs and now they're my new best friend. Holy crapola that's a tender meal.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

hey malone if you want some smoked pulled pork hmu I have a smoker and regularly use it

is this a thing where I can bring you raw meats and you process it and then we pig out? because hell yes let's do it. I'll pm you.

also: my wife (god bless her) explained to me that the whole point of "use just three ingredients to make delicious pulled pork with zero effort!" recipes is to give people the mental space to cook their own food and then maybe branch out.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I definitely cook when I'm mad and I clean when I'm stressed or flustered.

if I'm stressed, though, I just don't cook. or eat.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

also: pearl couscous is a fun alternative to pasta. mix it with feta, chickpeas, pomegranate, and mandarin orange slices and you got a salad goin.

(some places label it as Israeli couscous but lol gently caress that)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah hmu via pm

since this stuff usually takes so long to cook its easier for me to buy extra meat and cook it at the same time and you can just pay me for the cost of the meat. i can do 4 shoulders at a time, 6 racks of ribs or a full packer brisket

hell yeah. thanks, man.

so i took some thread advice and did another pork butt (~2.5 lbs) with a spice rub (ancho powder, cayenne powder, onion powder, cumin, salt/pepper, brown sugar) and I wrapped it in foil with a few tablespoons of water.

I slow cooked it for about six hours but it came out really tough and didn't really pull apart at all. Should I have added more water?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It's a generic costco-brand "power pressure cooker xl" and I used the slow cook setting on it so I don't know what temperature it's set at.

I did an internal temp reading and I got the butt up to about 190F.

I think I'm just going to toss this all in a big rear end pot of chili tomorrow. Time to soak some beans.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

pork butts are much larger than 2.5 pounds unless they're cut down to that size. are you sure it was a butt/shoulder and not a loin or other cut? that could be one reason why it didn't work out. also, butts have enough fat and moisture that you don't need to add any liquid at all with it in a crockpot. why did you feel the need to add the water? was there liquid in it at the end?

you put it in a crockpot? what was the foil for?

the foil helped keep all the moisture close by.

maybe it is a shoulder and not a butt. I just grabbed a big hunk of meat that said it was boneless.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

shoulders and butts are the same cut. if you had a shoulder/butt, it would have had a lot of its own liquid and fat in the pot when it was done. did it? if not, you probably didn't have a butt/shoulder. I'm guessing it was a loin, especially if it was boneless, which is way leaner and not good for pulled pork.

no matter what cut though, if it was tough and wouldn't pull, then it should have been cooked longer

yeah it has plenty of liquid so it's not like it dried out. This is why I didn't like it when I used an entire can of root beer because it was WAY too much liquid at the end. With this I just added two or three tablespoons of water and it let out enough juice to make a nice base for it to cook in.

I'm just going to let it go a couple more hours and see what happens.

e: the taste is amazing, though. Might have to tone down the spices for my kid, but it's way better than root beer.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

ok i dug my receipt out and it was listed as Pork Shoulder.

I'm actually pretty stoked to make chili with some of this pork.

Kidney beans, diced green chilis, diced tomatoes, can of tomato sauce, garlic, shallot, onion... it's all coming together baby

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah I let it go for a couple more hours and it wound up falling apart like it needed to.

I usually just brown ground turkey and dump cans of beans in a pot for chili. This poo poo right here is bespoke.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

oh I also made some drunken bbq sauce at 1 am last night.

my plan was to take the pork and douse it in sauce and then either pan fry it or microwave it for bun-to-mouth delivery.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I recently got a steam dome so I can properly make cheeseburgers at home and it's gets a shitload of use.

I think I eat a lot of cheeseburgers.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I am absolutely done buying thick cut bougie bacon

I crave thin crispy poo poo bacon and I don't need some fancy packaging with cardboard involved in ANY capacity.

Gimme that lovely bacon meat

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Also: my wife asked for a baked potato and I spent a couple hours last night researching the best way to do that and today I made what is without a doubt the best baked potato of my life.

I scooped em out and put cheese and freshly crisped bacon bits and butter in it, mashed it up, then I re-filled the skins and baked them some more.

Vows: renewed

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm gonna make an onion burger tomorrow.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I recently discovered that the trick to mushrooms on a pizza is to sauté them in butter first so they don't piss all over your pizza

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

well I ate all of that delicious pork

the only thing to do now is make more of it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

snoo posted:

I do the same with spinach as well

as my smarter-than-me brother might say: "so much about cooking is just moisture control"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

that's just red onions afaik

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm making another slab of pork because I need to eat some loving food at some point

if I still have a bunch of bbq sauce from the last time, is there something else I can do with the liquid that is at all useful?

e: after searching around I can use it to make a roux. I'll try that.

DR FRASIER KRANG has issued a correction as of 18:56 on Aug 5, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I will try that! I have both of those things!

This pork butt is more than 2x bigger than the last one I did (~5 lbs) so I hope I got the spice/sugar amounts correct. It smells good!

Also: I made some soup on a whim this morning because I had some chicken and veggies to use and I severely underestimated how much liquid pasta noodles would suck up. My soup is more of a thick noodle dish than anything else, but it's still pretty delicious.

Anyone have an easy (doesn't have to be quick) recipe for a carb to eat thick soups with? My first instinct is to make the King Arthur Flour skillet flatbread recipe because it's easy as hell but I'm open to other bread-like avenues.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

there's always the good old no-knead bread: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

there's about a billion variations if you google it too

i wound up looking at this recipe on Serious Eats:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/06/better-no-knead-bread-recipe.html

What's interesting about this recipe is that it's pretty close to the no-knead deep dish pizza dough recipe I follow from them (here) except it doesn't have olive oil in it and it adds a three day refrigeration period.

Wonder if I can just repurpose this pizza dough I already have on the counter all sealed up.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

you put those toppings on during the bake or after?

I wonder if I even need to do the three day refrigeration for focaccia. I made this dough about 16 hours ago so it's pretty dang risen at this point.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Always rinse your canned beans. Use a fine mesh strainer and just rinse until the bubbles go away.

what the gently caress

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

whoa I did not know that dried chickpeas were the way to go for falafel. thanks for the tip!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

fr0id posted:

I made a daal! Toast some sesame seeds, then cumin, then mustard seeds in smoking hot oil. add onions and sautee a bit, then add in some turmeric and cayenne. Add some minced garlic, ginger, and hot pepper. once everything is fragrant, pour in a can of tomatoes. This part is tricky, because most canned tomatoes have calcium chloride, an additive that prevents the tomatoes from breaking down in the can but also means they won’t easily melt into a gravy. So you can either used crushed tomatoes, chop them up yourself, or do what I did and go at them with a stick blender. heavy simmer for a while, then add a couple cans of beans (I used chickpeas) and a cup (or can’s worth of water). Simmer until desired saucy consistency. Season with salt and MSG, and serve over some basmati.

This looks super tasty and I am going to try to make it tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

This looks super tasty and I am going to try to make it tomorrow.

update: i made this and i made it way too spicy so i guess nobody but me is going to eat it, but it's really good.