Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
It's summer in Antarctica so it's probably nice and warm at the south pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the people of north sentinel isle know how to treat a tourist and the beaches are to die for

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Prav posted:

spend one night in bangkok

I hear it makes a hard man humble, op

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Vacation is overrated op. Go back to work like a good wage slave.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Quit your job outright and go on the adventure of being unemployed.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I was told by noted traveler john mayer that my body is a wonderland. Get your passport stamped at this saucy port of entry op

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Start riding the rails now, then head to Britt, Iowa next August for the hobo convention.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

jemand posted:

Start riding the rails now, then head to Britt, Iowa next August for the hobo convention.

:wth: You might even meet the famed annual hobo queen!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

If it were me I'd go to Greece. Always wanted to go.

As for the US I'd say hit the east coast. All the colonial, Revolutionary War and Civil War history spread across this place is pretty rad.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Realtalk: Go to Santa Fe. I keep wanting to go but I keep failing to actually take a vacation myself.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

DrPossum posted:

Realtalk: Go to Santa Fe. I keep wanting to go but I keep failing to actually take a vacation myself.

It's loving cold and it's hard to get around in the winter, though.

I am also watching this thread fyi. Was considering Vietnam before, but Cuba is a good suggestion. Same with North Sentinel islands

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

DrPossum posted:

Santa Fe is pretty cool, but don't just stay there. Go up to los alamos and see Bandelier, go down to carlsbad caverns and white sands if you have the time for a 2-3 day side trip.

also OP, if you can wait until the summer, go to Lofoten Islands. If norway and iceland appeal to you in general, I think you'll really like it. Fly into Bodo (BOO) and take the ferry over. It's very expensive but it's worth it if you like really nice nature stuff without the crowds. I was told that in the summer it is overwhelmed with tourists, but if you are from the US you will laugh at this because their definition of crowded is actually seeing other cars on the road. Also it has a really nice golf course open 24 hours during the midnight sun which was fun. I want to go one day in the winter for the fishing and whale watching but I do not do well with the arctic night stuff, or driving in the snow.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DrPossum posted:

It's summer in Antarctica so it's probably nice and warm at the south pole.

Antartica trips are actually loving sick if you can handle the cold.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

The drive between the Carlsbad area and Santa Fe is pretty awesome. Lots of pronghorn and other wildlife. Although I have heard that Arizona and the grand canyon is even better. So maybe go there OP.

DrPossum posted:

The trick is you need to stop caring when other people's incompetence starts destroying projects, and let things deteriorate for the at least duration of your vacation. Also, you must diligently refuse to read your work emails and answer your phone or texts. hth

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

jemand posted:

The drive between the Carlsbad area and Santa Fe is pretty awesome. Lots of pronghorn and other wildlife. Although I have heard that Arizona and the grand canyon is even better. So maybe go there OP.

It was interesting in seeing the desolation I guess, but I wouldn't call it awesome. Once we left Santa Fe there was basically only little ghost towns until we got to Roswell, which is terrible. The only awesome parts are once you start getting close to the south like through Cloudcroft etc. It's worth stopping by Cloudcroft's little downtown area by the way. I like that down, although I've only been during the summer, at that altitude it might be pretty icy in the winter.

He Who Smelt It
Jun 14, 2012
I heard north sentinel island is nice this time of year if you fancy a quiet island getaway. The locals are sure to welcome you

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

New Zealand

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
You should go to Edmonton and stay at a cheap motel and get some dominos pizza imo

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

also if you have the money, go to zermatt during the winter even if you don't like skiing. It's a really nice little village and it's nice to not have to deal with cars. You can also climb the matterhorn and probably die in a dramatic fashion, but I'd recommend just hanging around town and taking the train up the gornergrat and getting drunk on a smaller mountain.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

13Pandora13 posted:

but like, deep winter, so you can experience the hell that is -40

i literally live there already

Kuato posted:

You should go to Edmonton and stay at a cheap motel and get some dominos pizza imo

Methanar fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 26, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ante posted:

It's loving cold and it's hard to get around in the winter, though.

I am also watching this thread fyi. Was considering Vietnam before, but Cuba is a good suggestion. Same with North Sentinel islands

I was serious about Cuba actually I'd love to go there

Also Oaxaca

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
No war zones? So I guess Ukraine is out

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Go wherever it is they have those Iowa chops.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
:thunk: I can’t really say what the best combination of rocks, trees, water, people, and buildings would be the coolest. Probably Alabama or something idk. :shrug:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oatman, Arizona is neat if you like old west poo poo https://www.desertusa.com/oatman/du_oatman.html

MackAddie
Jul 10, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oatman, Arizona is neat if you like old west poo poo https://www.desertusa.com/oatman/du_oatman.html

Stay out of Arizona. We don't need more snowbirds.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I've decided to just not take a vacation thanks for your contributions

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Go to Osaka and Kyoto and make a day trip to Nara. Or go somewhere else in Japan during a festival.

Thailand is also very nice. I was surprised by all the things you can do there. Phuket was especially nice if you want more touristy stuff.

You could also travel to Britain if you want to go somewhere without a language barrier.

Amsterdam is still really nice even if you don't do drugs. Netherlands is just a cool place.

Or why not go to the Federate States of Micronesia?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MackAddie posted:

Stay out of Arizona. We don't need more snowbirds.
Arizona has actual skiing towns, so... too late.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Methanar posted:

That was the real answer tbh

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hot Springs, Arkansas, OP.

It's just quaint there.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Las Vegas. They give you freeze booze if you gamble. Learn to play poker.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Go to Rome, train to Naples, ferry to capri and do Amalfi

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

You made the right choice op, enjoy

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Serious answer: Taiwan. Great cheap food at night markets, people are nice, the weather is pleasant, lots of cultural and nature things to see and do, especially on the east coast. While not as cheap as Southeast Asia, it's still great value and much cleaner and safer. It's quite underrated and not overly touristy. Negative sides: they do get the occasional earthquake, and English won't get you very far.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

fish and chips and dip posted:

Serious answer: Taiwan. Great cheap food at night markets, people are nice, the weather is pleasant, lots of cultural and nature things to see and do, especially on the east coast. While not as cheap as Southeast Asia, it's still great value and much cleaner and safer. It's quite underrated and not overly touristy. Negative sides: they do get the occasional earthquake, and English won't get you very far.

Cleaner maybe safer no

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

smoobles posted:

go to hell

He already said he doesn't want to go to Norway, let alone that cold part of it.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a bit of a tourist trap.

Actually, its a nice place to hang out and chill.
New Zealand is friendly people, great landscapes and lots of boiling mud
good exchange rates too

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
North Korea you coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Traveling is bad for the planet, stay home.

• Locked thread