Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Problem description: I brought my computer to a repair shop where my hard drive was replaced. Now I'm trying to fix all the weird little issues like the font being all screwed up.

Attempted fixes:

Recent changes: Replaced the hard drive. Brand new everything on it.

Operating system: Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

System specs: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16883794893

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't know. I thought it was doing it outside of my browser too, but after playing with Firefox font settings, everything seems okay? Sort of? It doesn't look normal but it doesn't look all borked.

I unchecked "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of your selections above" in Firefox settings. For some reason, every website is broken with that on. I feel like I just put a bandaid on the problem that will creep back up with problems in the future.

Desktop

Laptop

Now I just want the font to look darker like how it looks on my laptop. I can barely read posts on SA on my desktop, especially with longer paragraphs. So I'd a way to get Firefox to display font properly when I allow websites to choose their own fonts.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 27, 2018

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
It seems to me like your fonts aren't being smoothed. Back when I switched from Win2k to WinXP I used to turn smoothing off because I wasn't used to it (silly looking back on that now) and un-smoothed web pages basically looked liked your screenshot to me. Have you tried Windows' settings here?

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/choose-whether-to-smooth-edges-of-screen-fonts-in-windows-10.html

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Wow. That did it. It's amazing how much easier everything is to read now.

Thank you.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
After years of intermittently browsing HoTS, I've finally solved a problem :aaa:

I don't know why repairing a hard drive did that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The place I sent it to screwed around with it, I'm sure. :\

• Locked thread