Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't see the interview, but apparently Dana wants to rematch Conor and Poirier for a shot at the winner of Khabib/Tony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Wise Learned Man posted:

Did we ever get an official explanation about Holloway's mystery illness/slurring when the fight got cancelled before?

Nope. Max was on the serra/UFC podcast and didn't explain why he was mush-mouthed and said nysac did the right thing

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I thought the fighting in the age of loneliness video style was familiar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTM_eN8AZeQ

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lid posted:

I thought the fighting in the age of loneliness video style was familiar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTM_eN8AZeQ

Woah, it's like they were directed by the same person :monocle:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Wise Learned Man posted:

I didn't see the interview, but apparently Dana wants to rematch Conor and Poirier for a shot at the winner of Khabib/Tony

Porier getting ko'd again

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

IcePhoenix posted:

Woah, it's like they were directed by the same person :monocle:

I realise that I didn't realise until I went back and checked to give me an excuse to show that Lonnie Smith video.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Watched that documentary this morning. It's good enough that I want to show it to people who aren't mma fans.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Opinion: Shogun owns and I’m glad he’s still fighting

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
jds is never gonna win a belt again but i'm happy he gets to smash excitable prospects. good boxing is still a top 10 heavyweight skill.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

https://twitter.com/stylebender/status/1069158113108877314

mewse
May 2, 2006

:lol:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

haha

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

cool mom

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Did any Australians win yesterday lol? I only watched the last three fights.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lid posted:

I realise that I didn't realise until I went back and checked to give me an excuse to show that Lonnie Smith video.

I don't think I had watched that Pretty Good before. Lonnie Smith owns

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

BlindSite posted:

Kara-France beat the brakes off a dude, but he's a kiwi and endeared himself to the aussies. Maybe he fights out of oz?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Too little, too late. I find Adesanya intensely unlikable, no matter how cool* his mom is.

* Pretty cool, apparently.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's awesome that Shogun is going to fight for several more years and die in the octagon because a bad fighter's leg exploded mid fight, which probably felt a lot like winning to Shogun.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlindSite posted:

Jimmy Crute

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mekchu posted:

We were treated towards the end of the month to a series of documentary videos by SBNation entitled “Fighting in the Age of Loneliness” by Felix Biederman and Jon Bois which gave us the title of our thread for the month. The five video series was really good and worth watching. Enjoy the first episode here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oNB6tlSZ2A

The podcast that Felix is a cohost of just release their newest episode with an interview with Felix and Jon Bois on the documentary. I have not yet listened to it but I will tomorrow. I am hoping they add some insight into their process and things that didn't make it in.

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-268-condom-depot-presents-fighting-in-the-age-of-horniness-feat-jon-bois-12218?repost

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Snowman_McK posted:

It's awesome that Shogun is going to fight for several more years and die in the octagon because a bad fighter's leg exploded mid fight, which probably felt a lot like winning to Shogun.

If it's good enough for Weidman it's good enough for Shogun

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grem posted:

If it's good enough for Weidman it's good enough for Shogun

Was this a good point when you said it in your head?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Shogun has won 4 of his last 5 and been knocked out once in that span.

Weidman has won 1 out of 5 and been knocked out 4 times in that span.

I'm not defending that guy's point. That's just loving nuts to me and I had to point it out.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Quote is not edit.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Snowman_McK posted:

Was this a good point when you said it in your head?

Didn't even say it in my head before I typed it, bro

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

Weidman has won 1 out of 5 and been knocked out 4 times in that span.

I'm not defending that guy's point. That's just loving nuts to me and I had to point it out.

That's fair. I thought we had to go over how the leg of Weidman's opponent shattered in a fight he was winning which was a rematch of a fight he won shortly beforehand. Also, his opponent was better than Tyson Pedro.

But if we're just mocking Chris Weidman's delusions of where he stands in the Middleweight rankings, carry on.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm watching the original ultimate fighter and it's so incredibly early oughts and I do not understand why they provide alcohol unless it's to encourage people to be stupid assholes

I mean it clearly is

But god tell me they instituted rules about drinking after this season

Fake edit we're like ten minutes into the first episode and someone's pillow has been pissed on

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm pretty sure they stayed loose with alcohol the whole time.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm pretty sure they stayed loose with alcohol the whole time.

Jesus god

This show kinda bangs, tho, its a snapshot of the oughts and they really clearly weren't sure how much of a game show to make it vs how much of a documentary about dudes training and fighting

Being used to modern reality TV where everyone always looks good it rules that they're all wearing like lovely Gildan tees and gym shorts and flip-flops, even the coaches

Also Dana is way less puffy

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yeah Dana hadn't started juicing at that point probably.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also i don't know why you're using past tense they're apparently going to keep doing it with ESPN

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheKingslayer posted:

Yeah Dana hadn't started juicing at that point probably.

Lmao why does he juice

Come on Dana what the gently caress

Edit five minutes into the second episode and there's like five guys who are either gonna fight are gently caress

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

It's even more frustrating because Shogun's win over Anderson was a robbery and Villante, Rogerio and Pedro all repeatedly wobbled or straight-up dropped him, so it's not like he looked particularly good in ANY of those fights.

In light of all of that, the gently caress do you do with Shogun now? From #5 down you've got Latifi, Volkan, Manuwa, Reyes, Anderson, OSP, Teixeira and Cirkunov, and two of those people already clowned him and would extremely certainly do so again, but he IS 4 for his last 5 and his only loss is to the #3, so you can't really have him fight down. Who's the next person to beat the dogshit out of an aging underwear model?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There's a fight that perfectly illustrates where he's at and has been for a while. in 2012, Shogun had yet another epic, back and forth battle that exemplified what the sport is all about, much like his fights with Hendo and Little Nog. Except he had it with Brandon Vera.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Lmao why does he juice

Come on Dana what the gently caress

Edit five minutes into the second episode and there's like five guys who are either gonna fight are gently caress

Toxic masculinity, also being roided up owns.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My internet went out so I can't keep watching it but I'm halfway into the third episode and I'm incredibly mad that the guy who has been the biggest shithead and who left the house to go find a payphone while drunk hasn't been kicked off the show when they had the chance before it went to elimination based on fight

The fact that they did survivor style challenges is do fuckin funny to me

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
tai tuivasa’s post fight interview on submissions radio is something else

“poo poo day in the office for the boys.... you win some you lose some... still gonna get pissed wit da bois”

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Tai is the quintessential derro bogan drop kick.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tokamak posted:

Tai is the quintessential derro bogan drop kick.

I'm kind of worried that he already sounds punch drunk at 25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

My internet went out so I can't keep watching it but I'm halfway into the third episode and I'm incredibly mad that the guy who has been the biggest shithead and who left the house to go find a payphone while drunk hasn't been kicked off the show when they had the chance before it went to elimination based on fight

The fact that they did survivor style challenges is do fuckin funny to me

Lol I forgot about the challenges. Season 2 has the loving best one and I'm glad you get to watch it for the first time.

Joe Stevenson crawls around a standing man without touching the ground for like a loving hour and the other team goes "ok, you win" without attempting it because Joe just burnt out his entire body for no real reason