Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's awesome that Shogun is going to fight for several more years and die in the octagon because a bad fighter's leg exploded mid fight, which probably felt a lot like winning to Shogun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grem posted:

If it's good enough for Weidman it's good enough for Shogun

Was this a good point when you said it in your head?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

Shogun has won 4 of his last 5 and been knocked out once in that span.

Weidman has won 1 out of 5 and been knocked out 4 times in that span.

I'm not defending that guy's point. That's just loving nuts to me and I had to point it out.

That's fair. I thought we had to go over how the leg of Weidman's opponent shattered in a fight he was winning which was a rematch of a fight he won shortly beforehand. Also, his opponent was better than Tyson Pedro.

But if we're just mocking Chris Weidman's delusions of where he stands in the Middleweight rankings, carry on.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There's a fight that perfectly illustrates where he's at and has been for a while. in 2012, Shogun had yet another epic, back and forth battle that exemplified what the sport is all about, much like his fights with Hendo and Little Nog. Except he had it with Brandon Vera.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tokamak posted:

Tai is the quintessential derro bogan drop kick.

I'm kind of worried that he already sounds punch drunk at 25.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TheTofuShop posted:

Jean-Charles just demolishing those guys never gets old.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4tu6zu

I had forgotten about Danaher being on the show too, he still has hair!

Didn't he show up on the second day with one of those huge cups of booze you can buy in Vegas? He showed up drunk and still effortlessly beat the poo poo out of everyone.

There's a similar video from when Tristar brought in some little thai bloke to help GSP prepare for Condit. There's a long speech from the coaches to the effect of 'do not loving give this guy a reason to hit you hard'

Zzulu posted:

I feel like there used to be more good Brazilians

They used to do really well in the UFC

Is it because of USADA?

The first wave of big stars get super old, and no one picked up the slack.

1st AD posted:

My favorite thing about the Wanderlei vs. Sonnen Brazil TUF season is that Chael was totally prepared to be the heel the entire season, and in fact tells Wanderlei off camera that he is doing this and Wandy should be a babyface, and then Wandy decides to gang harass Chael anyways and be a lovely coach and Chael goes down looking better to Brazilian fans than Wanderlei does.

edit: and then both guys popped before their fight I think :getin:

In a steroid situation involving Wanderlei, Sonnen and Vitor Belfort, Belfort somehow came out looking bestleast guilty. I'm pretty sure that was when Chael popped for HGH, placing him in a very select group.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Normally, I would say that virtually guarantees a snooze fest. However, I’m having a hard time imagining Max Holloway and Brian Ortega having a boring fight. Of course, the derail you mentioned is still possible.

Holloway managed to have a dull fight against Jeremy Stephens. But that's pretty much the only one.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mean Bean Machine posted:

It's a sick fight but I think that if Holloway comes back fighting like he used to he will easily dominate Ortega, so much that people will be surprised why they even gave Ortega that big of a chance. and i like ortega a lot, but the holloway we've seen in recent fights is possibly the best FW ever

True, but Ortega is always losing until his super bar fills up.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brut posted:

https://streamable.com/2151r

It's a good thing Brian Boitano is on standby.

I think he might just be a bit hawaiian or something. He pretty much always talks like that. That's what happens when you dump all your points into melee and ignore speech.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bluedeanie posted:

Is "He seems totally coherent other than having a very bad recollection of the names of the ninja turtles" too long for a subforum title or descriptor text?

It has my vote.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I totally have a crush on Max Holloway.

Very understandable. He reminds me of that Andre Berto interview about Floyd. He talked about how Floyd is always really switched on, always thinking in the ring. And Max kind of reminds me of that. I mean, he's tough and can take a punch, but he never seems to stop thinking, even when he takes a hard shot. You can see it in the replays. He gets hit and goes 'well, gently caress, that didn't work, let's try something else.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

andelazo posted:

I may be mistaken, but I thought under the unified rules a corner isn’t allowed to stop the fight themselves—throwing in the towel is a technical foul—might be what McCarthy was referring to?

Throwing the towel, which is a technical foul, is what stops the fight.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, Jimi Manuwa and Thiago Santos had an absolutely incredible fight, but it isn't surprising at all that they're not getting talked about much because Holloway/Ortega was just so loving insane.

Yeah, that was some movie poo poo. Just two guys who hit really hard beating the poo poo out of each other till someone falls over.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Remember when he literally punched Dan Henderson into the air while looking like a Resident Evil boss?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Now watch Garbrandt, god's perfect idiot, with all the tools to beat John Lineker, stand in the pocket with him in the hope it'll different when he tries to knock out a man who never gets knocked out.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Byolante posted:

Conor v Max will look a lot like Diaz v Conor 1 except Diaz is way better.

Max, for instance, doesn't think footwork is cheating.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I feel like 3 or 4. His base mobility really dictates that he not throw kicks. Reminds me of a certain other Hawaiian...

He does throw cool spinning back kicks every now and then.

He's just a stupidly fun guy to watch fight, as well as being such a phenomenal talent.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Cain will easily win, then his body will explode again.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Him spin kicking Browne in the face while dismantling him is one of the best UFC things

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brown Paper Bag posted:

I love Zabit but he’s hittable and Stephens is the last guy you want in that division to land a punch on your face

He's pretty good at avoiding damage. In that FOTY candidate he had at UFC 228, he did the Max trick where it looks like wild exchanges, but he's actually avoiding almost all the shots.

Dan Didio posted:

Hard to ignore the incredibly long list of comically frequent occurrences of AKA fighters getting monstered by their own ligaments, but they've got to be one of the best gyms on the planet right now in terms of results.

It's kind of like how the Muay Thai system in thailand is capable of producing terrifying fighters: those are the ones that made it. Everyone else is just left in a concussed pile.

Also, Luke Rockhold, despite being staggeringly talented, is probably done as a high level competitor at 34.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

That was one of the worst stoppages I've seen. It should have come about two or three minutes earlier. Hooker was technically still on his feet, but he was doing a very literal interpretation of 'fighter is tired' from the UFC games. His arms and legs were moving so loving slowly.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Le Saboteur posted:

Referees in MMA basically refuse to call standing TKOs and its been two weeks in a row now where one could have been called in major UFC fights.

There were a couple of stoppages on the Adelaide card where the guy wasn't quite dead yet but had absolutely lost and the ref called it, and fans screamed bloody murder. That was also the card where Shogun's fans convinced themselves that he's ready for a title run, so maybe we're just garbage.

Foul Fowl posted:

he was extremely boring as a fighter for a very long time. he was loving awful to watch in strikeforce when he wasn't getting owned by marquardt. and he was loving awful to watch in a lot of his ufc fights too.

He did outwrestle Paul Daley and make him look like a dumbass, which was pretty cool.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Foul Fowl posted:

that's true but koscheck did it better. which is probably the only thing koscheck has ever done better than him, woodley is kinda like a better and way smarter koscheck.

I found the Woodley one funnier because you could see Daley thinking 'gently caress, don't do it again, don't do it again' the entire fight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Le Saboteur posted:

Colby Covington is live on the Helwani Show doing the interview with a Donald Trump doll in his hand.

His continuing search for a gimmick that will overcome his lack of a personality. He's Jacob Volkmann but even less interesting.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mewse posted:

I saw he made these comments a bit ago and I think Kavanagh is prob sick of Conor tarnishing his reputation

I imagine he's sick of Conor muscling in on his territory.

Kavanaugh is a loving idiot.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Waroduce posted:

i havent but with the holidays i have some time and I think i will

The real stand outs are his fights with Vanata and Barboza, both of which were FOTY contenders. His fight with RDA is pretty sedate by his standards, but it's still two high level kickboxers hitting each other a lot for 25 minutes at altitude in Mexico City, a place where it is tiring to climb the stairs.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Veskit posted:

Looking great against Glover is nowhere near the same level as looking great against DC so I mean we can just throw that point out.

Also I really don't believe the PED thing was a contributing factor so maybe that's why i'm wildly baffled by all this unless everyone thinks Jones has always been roided? Like forever?

The insanely strong guy who is always insanely strong and in shape despite being an alcoholic and drug user? Yeah, no way he's been on anything consistently.

Zzulu posted:

Alex is trash and always has been so Jon should have no problems destroying him

He had some problems the last time they fought.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

no no, he's done with steroids. He's beyond it.

He's probably moved on to the stuff the baddies inject themselves with in the Resident Evil games.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

coconono posted:

Chris Weidman partied in Chechnya, is he a nazi now too?

He was also a Trumper really early on. He's either a chud or a moron.

Lid posted:

I counter with Jones winning round one, but breaking his toe ala Chael Sonnen and Gus winning the title due to doctor stoppage forfeiture.

Chael Sonnen was twice within mere minutes of being a UFC champion.

Technically, as soon as the fight starts, you're within minutes of being a UFC champion.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Vitamin Boss posted:

trying not to get excited about this until Cain is hobbling to the cage but it's difficult, much like walking is for Cain Velasquez

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This is the dumbest, dumbest loving situation.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Herb is a bad ref now.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

you're right, using steroids gave him a bunch of advantage over noted clean fighters vitor, machida, bonnar, chael, rampage, shogun, osp, etc

even with the sport's long history of steroids, he is head and shoulders above everyone else who were also probably were/are roiding. so i like to watch him fight

You think Shogun is roiding...while looking like that?

And also walking like that?

And just, sort of generally Shogunning like that?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Nifft posted:

Can't believe it's been over 5 years since the first fight. I can't remember why they didn't have an immediate rematch.

They had to tap into the searing hot star power of glover texeira.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

There's a segment in Bigger, Faster, Stronger in which they talk to symphony musicians about beta blockers. They certainly don't think they are cheating when they use drugs that help them literally perform better.

On the other hand they're not bashing out the brains of other musicians to get their chairs.

The pilots on go-pills who've killed civilians and fellow soldiers on the other hand...
then again, they're part of the proud tradition of soldiers on drugs. Panzer drivers were all on meth.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

a god drat idiot posted:

Probably but they would have looked like morons.

At present, they just look like complicit morons

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ad by Khad posted:

Yeah I don't watch fights so I've no idea what Cyborg actually attempted but starched in a minute sure is something. Even Gina lasted five.

What I'm even more surprised by is that in looking up Gina Carano I discovered that the American Gladiators website still writes about what she's doing even though the show went off the air in 2008

Cyborg attempted what she always attempts, and usually succeeds at. Nunes just had better composure and apparently hit much harder.

ilmucche posted:

If jones pisses hot in post fight testing do they reverse the decision?

Jones pissed hot in pre fight testing...so...I don't know.

CarlCX posted:

Twitter says Mendes retired backstage, which is deeply loving depressing. That dude goes squarely in the "best fighters to never win a belt" conversation.

edit: yeah, what the dude above me said simultaneously

On the other hand, I wish more fighters retired early, at the first sign they might have lost a step.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

I don't really think losing a close fight to Volkanovski means you've lost a step.

That's how it always starts. "They're really good, no shame in losing to them."

Then you're getting submitted by Ryan Hall on the prelims.

Foul Fowl posted:

that's not the sense i've been getting but maybe i haven't been reading the thread closely enough

Or ever before, presumably.

No one thinks Cyborg's career of juicing a fuckload to beat up part time fighters who are smaller than her and still looking like poo poo doing is okay.

mewse posted:

Then there were the vice sports articles saying people don’t like cyborg because it’s body shaming and toxic masculinity

I remember those stupid loving articles. The best one was one saying 'how dare people have the temerity to bring up her one failed drug test' immediately before she failed another one.

I must be old because I can't tell which is the serious but very stupid post and which is the mocking one.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Uriah Hall is a very, very dangerous counter puncher, but unlike Andy or Connor, he doesn't really have a way to create the opening aside from 'hope they gently caress up'

As a result, there's a lot of fights where he just stands there and loses and lots of others where he kills them with the first punch he throws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
He also gave us the sickest KO of the last several years. I'm surprised no one else posted it.