Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Spacebump posted:

Playoff should clearly be

Alabama
Clemson
Notre Dame
UCF

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I am happy with the Citrus Bowl. Still think it's bullshit that Florida is that much higher ranked, especially after the committee's emphasis on head to head, but whatever. Kentucky's first New Year's Day bowl since playing Penn St in the Outback Bowl 20 years ago. So, yay, revenge game! I would also hope Penn St will be just disinterested enough after just missing out on a NY6 bowl.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

General Dog posted:

Well, they're better than most mediocre teams, which is generally considered "good".

Not a bad explanation, honestly.

Their offense looked pretty good against Louisville, but take that with a grain of salt. Despite the opponent, it's probably the best QB play we had since the Florida game. They really seemed to open the offense up more, so if they continue that for the bowl game they could sneak up on you. Also, with a month to rest they can hopefully get back to form on the O line where Snell was rushing for 100+ even against stacked boxes a la Mississippi St.

The defense though is completely legit and Josh Allen should be an All-American. Georgia is the only team to score more than 30. Tennesee was second at 24, and I still chalk that game up to post-Georgia hangover. They just looked uninspired, which is sad because win that and we're in a NY6 bowl.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
https://mobile.twitter.com/NagurskiTrophy/status/1069795930839441410?ref_src=twsrc%5Etwitterkit

Go Cats!

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Driving down I-75 in southern Georgia, I saw a bunch of Kentucky-decaled cars. One had a giant magnetic sticker on the passenger side door that proclaimed with pride that they were indeed on their way to see Kentucky in a BOWL GAME.

Will this be their best bowl appearance since the Outback in 1999 or the Peach in 1993?

Yes, and they played Penn St in that Outback Bowl as well. Judging from social media, there's gonna be a ton of Kentucky fans at that game. Sadly I am not one of them.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

MourningView posted:

Yeah Stoops has a lot of Florida connections too so they've had really good classes by Kentucky standards, I was speaking more generally

Most recently 30th in the nation, but good for 12th in the SEC. Makes it hard to make up ground, but they've done well at developing talent (see: Josh Allen). Kentucky doesn't produce a lot of talent most years, but generally they've done really well in Ohio, with Benny Snell, CJ Conrad, and Lynn Bowden especially, and the Youngstown connection. The advantage there is the lure of playing in the SEC but still being close to home. This year was less Ohio and more Florida and Georgia, with a good number of in-state players as well.

I have no expectations they replicate this season again next year, although the schedule is arguably easier. This defense is one of their best ever and it's the first time in my life I've ever even seen 8 wins or a winning SEC record, with a chance for 10 for the first time in 40 years. I'd just be happy with consistently making a bowl game, of which they've only had 11 times since the 90s.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Sash! posted:

A disappointing, yet not completely unpredictable, ending to a disappointing, yet not completely unpredictable, season.

Sometimes I'm very confused by how coaches must make decisions. You're down 27-21. Kicking a field goal in that situation means you still have to get the ball back and score a second time. You're forcing yourself into the same scenario as if you go for it on fourth down and fail. Is it some level of "what if we convert but still get held to the field goal, but now have less time?" If it is, that's still perplexing to me because you're falling into giving a mouse a cookie level thinking.

Also, how does a cow escape and evade capture for two days? I grew up around cows. They aren't exactly masters of stealth.

I was just as confused as to why they decided to kick it there, but also very happy they did. That said, Kentucky's offense wasn't moving the ball at all up to that point in the 4th quarter, so maybe they thought they could get it back quickly. I was so nervous on the first 3rd down, but Benny Snell just willed his way to the marker, because I really thought they stopped him. I hated having to punt at all though even though there was basically no time left. I really wished Kentucky had tried some outside runs instead of up the middle 8 straight times, could have taken a few more seconds off.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
The game is at 5PT right? I've been stuck in San Jose rush hour before. How the hell do they make that logistical nightmare work getting everyone to the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

:perfect: