Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

simplefish posted:

Very! Except with a bit of gambling on the fact that: we'd seen an image in a bubbleverse be strong enough to summon a demigod who literally made us a real identical twin, so maybe it would be real damage?

That was a bit of an edge case. Interpreters can create Illustrations using Parchment and Ink and these Illustrations can invoke help from beings Risen and beyond. In creating a projected image in the bubble universe, the Controller inadvertently made effectively perfect copies of these Illustrations, not knowing or not thinking of their inherent powers. To the Risen or "Gods" these Illustrations are not distinguished from the genuine article, and was responded to as though it were actual.

The Controller, depending on the form your bubble universe takes, would either be copied into it--in which case its main consciousness remains in the Construct--or you may try to entrap the Controller fully--which carries much risk by one of you having to reach the Controller's physical from within the shielded Focum and excise them from reality.

So, pros and cons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Brawnfire posted:

That was a bit of an edge case. Interpreters can create Illustrations using Parchment and Ink and these Illustrations can invoke help from beings Risen and beyond. In creating a projected image in the bubble universe, the Controller inadvertently made effectively perfect copies of these Illustrations, not knowing or not thinking of their inherent powers. To the Risen or "Gods" these Illustrations are not distinguished from the genuine article, and was responded to as though it were actual.

The Controller, depending on the form your bubble universe takes, would either be copied into it--in which case its main consciousness remains in the Construct--or you may try to entrap the Controller fully--which carries much risk by one of you having to reach the Controller's physical from within the shielded Focum and excise them from reality.

So, pros and cons!

In that case could we possibly separate them automatically just by drawing the entire Constructor into the bubble but not taking the Controller in with it?

e: Oh and maybe leave one version of our selves on each side to take on the newly separated Constructor and Controller and try to take them over?

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 18, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Yeah, I followed along about the whole an-image-counts-as-an-illustration-and-that's-all-that-matters, you were clear in your storypost, don't worry :). But I was unsure of whether something's image was otherwise tied to the subject by cosmic sinews, hence the gamble bit.

Plus there's the option we have of projecting our own visions cards into the Voodoo Bubbleverse which can then become real - and we can grab ideas for a convincing setting from Moshta's book that we still have about things the Constructors did. The controller doesn't know we have access to knowledge the past when we were alive, let alone before we were born, so using an early Constructor Incursion for a.bubbleverse.setting should be pretty drat convincing.

I think it's worth trying whatever we can before we get to the focum.

SHG doesn't understand fully, Maurice understands less than that, and I as a reader know even less! So let's do our best with the opportunities that arise, that's my approach here.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 18, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Stoner Sloth posted:

In that case could we possibly separate them automatically just by drawing the entire Constructor into the bubble but not taking the Controller in with it?

e: Oh and maybe leave one version of our selves on each side to take on the newly separated Constructor and Controller and try to take them over?

:hmmyes:

Interesting. I'm seeing how you could form a bubble universe around the Construct, but it hasn't occurred to me yet how one would leave the Controller out of it. The Controller is woven into the Construct pretty strongly. In order to perform that act, you may still need to physically access the Controller in the shielded Focum.

UNLESS you are able to enter the Construct and build the bubble universe around "yourself" (as the Construct) which may allow you to sort of "marquee deselect" the Controller, in a manner of speaking. Theories, though.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Please check my post above - I edited it

I'm trying to avoid making 5 posts in a row, but you posted while I was editing so just want to make sure you saw it all!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

simplefish posted:

Plus there's the option we have of projecting our own visions cards into the Voodoo Bubbleverse which can then become real - and we can grab ideas for a convincing setting from Moshta's book that we still have about things the Constructors did. The controller doesn't know we have access to knowledge the past when we were alive, let alone before we were born, so using an early Constructor Incursion for a.bubbleverse.setting should be pretty drat convincing.

This is interesting! You do have the means to create cards yourself, you may be able to craft a card based on the knowledge you attained on the Temple Plane, you had some friends there.

Also I like the idea of using an early-Incursion projection from your history book. Though the Constructors travel with impunity through realities, they brachiate linearly through a past-to-future temporal paradigm; that is they cannot move backwards and the past is stored as "memories". At least, as far as you've seen. Being suddenly in the past would be a highly confusing situation for a Constructor, and they may believe you've gained powers of time manipulation.

simplefish posted:

SHG doesn't understand fully, Maurice understands less than that, and I as a reader know even less! So let's do our best with the opportunities that arise, that's my approach here.

Honestly I'm astonished at the level of grasp you and Stoner Sloth have on the subject. I try to be as clear as possible in my posts but everything has gotten pretty weird. I love seeing the bizarre solutions posited here. Remember when we used to shoot people with guns?

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Brawnfire posted:

This is interesting! You do have the means to create cards yourself, you may be able to craft a card based on the knowledge you attained on the Temple Plane, you had some friends there.

Also I like the idea of using an early-Incursion projection from your history book. Though the Constructors travel with impunity through realities, they brachiate linearly through a past-to-future temporal paradigm; that is they cannot move backwards and the past is stored as "memories". At least, as far as you've seen. Being suddenly in the past would be a highly confusing situation for a Constructor, and they may believe you've gained powers of time manipulation.

Honestly I'm astonished at the level of grasp you and Stoner Sloth have on the subject. I try to be as clear as possible in my posts but everything has gotten pretty weird. I love seeing the bizarre solutions posited here. Remember when we used to shoot people with guns?

I like Simplefish's ideas too on this, creating our own cards is a worthwhile thing to do in any case. Do think the splitting the pair up is worth possibly pursuing too - but we should maybe ask as well just how time does work to SHG, perhaps if we can reconnect our bubble universe to other points on the time line then we have gained powers of time manipulation. :evilbuddy:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Stoner Sloth posted:

perhaps if we can reconnect our bubble universe to other points on the time line then we have gained powers of time manipulation. :evilbuddy:

...you're blowing my mind, bruv.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

By the way, I'm not against anything Stoner Sloth has said, I'm not suggesting things in place of their suggestions. Just throwing out any idea I have into the mix.

I love the Time Tunnel idea, it's truly :okpos:

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Just to take the :okpos: levels one further - possibly could we also use such a bubble to connect between different realities?

And yeah same - and trying to take inspiration from other peoples ideas to add stuff if that helps too, always good to get people bouncing ideas around like that to come up with new ones.

e: Also points in space in our own reality - teleport, time travel and dimension shifting all in one neat package! :drugnerd:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Well here is my theory on bubble universes: thus far, your bubble has been connected directly only to your "main" reality, being anchored on the (let's call it a) "potential" facet you were within when you created it. Therefore, it should only connect directly with that universe, making teleportation a possibility--as we have already used via Krem-Jiukido movements and leaping.

However, you also managed to fill the bubble with Throughspace. You're not sure how, exactly, but it happened. Therefore, being Throughspace, theoretically the bubble universe should be able to move into the gaps in the Manifest and be used to connect them. Now, how to move a bubble of Throughspace through metatransmultidimensional space is a question.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Let's ask SHG

Moving through throughspace is his jam

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Luckily I reckon SHG might be well positioned to answer that question! But definitely think we might try to figure out how to do it temporally as well - time travel could be handy if possible.

But even just teleporting is definitely nothing to be sneezed at, neither is our own set of cards.

Also if we can teleport and/or shift dimensions we might be able to help the person we could contact over the sphere thing out of a jam? Did someone say cross over event?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

In a moment of contemplation, you open the book on the history of the Incursion you purloined from Moshta’s shelf the day before. A couple days before? It’s weird, because as you read your identical copy closes his eyes and seems to mentally experience what you’re reading. For the first time, you realize that your inventory bag did not divide with the rest of you, nor have any of the contents. Strange...

Anyhow, the book seems to be somewhat old. There’s a small publication mark on the inside cover-page; Printed by the University of Cariti Press 1924ab, fifty years ago. That puts it smack-dab in the middle of the time between the first of the Incursions and now. Beneath the embossed university crest it says College of Constructor Studies. Constructor studies? You wonder if they ever found anything of use before the Morani and Scuumi banded together to invade the city of Cariti.

quote:

It was on the outskirts of the city of Orthemka where the first of a series of Constructs appeared. Though some fled the city at the omen alone, the threat had not been anticipated by most. The outpouring of misery from this event cannot be oversold; Orthemka, a city of over a million peoples, the Jewel of the Ormithan Plain, became the epicenter of a flux-storm of unfathomable destructive power.

Eyewitnesses from towns beyond the area affected by the initial Orthemkan Construct wrote of the wave of fluxuated survivors--the small percentage whose injuries allowed for overland travel. One Baroness Tarjete d’Vyctum wrote to her husband, Baron Cynicur d’Victum, from the hospital in the township of Wuldonstree:

[The hospital] is overwhelmed with the most wretched and pathetic of humanity, if human you can name the beings which shambled across the Plain to our doors. The wracked bodies of what were once men and women now are punctuated with tissues and materials altogether incorrect and foreign; some familiar as the animals in our beastgardens, others strange and alien; materials as varied as stone and gem, hard ice and strange devices. Some we can scarcely identify, those whose bodies are coruscating with seemingly living energies, those whose skin is as a bag containing sentient gases. And to think, these were the survivors capable of the sojourn to our hospital. What monstrosities yet haunt the streets of the City [of Orthemka]?

The Orthemkan Crisis was the worst of the Construct appearances, but it was also the first of dozens as of the time of this publication. Effectively, it was as the first shot of the Incursions which have wracked our world. The Cities of the Highlands are now all that remains outside the devastation upon the plains, an area that has come to be known as the Blasted Lands. The westernmost of the Highland Cities, the City of Morani, overlooks an area adjacent to the Blasted Lands called the Beaten Lands, where the devastation of the Incursion has not been so great as to render living impossible, albeit existence has become difficult and unpredictable.

Though the appearance of Constructs has slowed considerably over the last several decades, there are new sightings here and there by travellers and balloon reconnaissance. The most recent of these, the Vyctum Construct, has taken a heavy toll on the agricultural lands supporting the City of Vyctum, one of the larger Cities of the Highlands. Already the weakening of their position relative to the power of the Morani ruling family has been cause for concern, as the Morani have been using the destabilization from the Incursions to increase their landholdings. It has even been rumored by some scholars that the Morani have a sort of pact with the Constructors, but this cannot be substantiated.

Your reading is interrupted by a strange, hissing voice behind you.

“Father, do you have any more moissstbreadsss?”

“Holy sweet Vuldon!” you panic, and reel backwards, falling onto whatever it was that you stood on in Throughspace.

“I am ssso hungry sssince I have grown ssso large. What hasss happened to me?”

“Who the thox are you?” you exclaim.
The other you looks at the creature with fearful recognition. “Suvram?”

“It isss I, father! Sssuvram! Why do you look ssso afraid? You sssaid ssso many timesss I wasss the cutessst thing…” the patchy face of scales and skin looks desperately at both of you for a sign of love.

4.) “You are not Suvram! Get away, monster!”
5.) “Suvram! My baby! Forgive me for my reaction. Let me embrace you!”
6.) Write in:

Inventory
Characters
Map
Glossary of Terms
Our Story So Far...

Elsewhere in the Beaten Lands
[A concurrent CYOA]

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

You, Brawnfire, are the monster

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

:five:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I don't care if it's real Suvram evolved because of our jumping about time/multispace, or Fake Suvram. This thing needslove
As much as we're only Maurice because we willed ourselves to be, so does this Suvram undoubtedly feel, even if it has been created - or is likely connected to the real Suvram somewhere by cosmic sinew. That's basically our voodoo doll plan.

This Suvram gets love, and what's more, it finally has two parents.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

simplefish posted:

I don't care if it's real Suvram evolved because of our jumping about time/multispace, or Fake Suvram. This thing needslove
As much as we're only Maurice because we willed ourselves to be, so does this Suvram undoubtedly feel, even if it has been created - or is likely connected to the real Suvram somewhere by cosmic sinew. That's basically our voodoo doll plan.

Group hug time!

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

simplefish posted:

All of this, except at some point after the embrace I still want to check our bag to be completely sure whether we have two Suvrams or one. Presumably this is the Suvram who was in our bag that came with us into the bubble. But it's surprising that either the sun-food would cause a delayed transformation that's nearly instant once it begins, or he's been transforming this whole time and somehow we didn't notice.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

simplefish posted:

You, Brawnfire, are the monster

Thank you so much! :grin:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

“Suvram, my baby!” you say, not without trepidation, as you go in for an embrace.

You are en route to join the embrace when you feel the most minute of movements in your inventory bag. Dread overcomes you.

“Maurice!”

You look back at yourself with eyes full of frightened comprehension. “Oh no.”

You watch with horror as you are pulled bodily out of Throughspace by the monster.

You scream as the monster pulls you bodily out of Throughspace, into the Controller’s Focum.

Y⊘U ARE THE KING OF F⊗⊖LS BR⊕ADANUS D’M⊛RANI

You can scarcely breathe, scarcely think. It feels like painful surges of energy are running through your muscles, your bones, your mind. A powerful voice is obliterating your brain.

You look into your bag. Suvram is in there, a little more scaly and quite a bit larger, but still very much Suvram. Thox.

Y⊕U HAVE S⊘ MANY C⊙NNECTIONS S⊗ MANY STRINGS I CAN PULL

You fight back with your mind, but it’s so tiring. So tiring.

“It was a lure.” you say to Shrunken Head Guy. “It seems the Controller was bored of trying to demoralize us and distract us. It’s going in for the kill, now. We’re in the Focum.”

I TAUNTED Y⊘U WITH GLIMPSES OF A M⊕THER Y⊙U NEVER KNEW

You try to jump away, leap away, escape through Throughspace with your Krem-Jiukido, but the Controller’s dendrites hold you tightly in this universe. The pain intensifies; the Controller squeezes you with a vice-grip.

then you must save yourself / before it is too late says Shrunken Head Guy.

“But how? I have no idea what to do.” Although, you happened to be the one left with the inventory bag. Which means you have the pluripotent cells. You could still achieve your mission.

You’re not certain why the bag didn’t duplicate. Was it special somehow?

I AG⊕NIZED Y⊘U WITH Y⊙UR WIFE THE L⊗VE OF Y⊛UR LIFE BETRAYING Y⊖U

You try to move your painful, spasming limbs despite the Controller’s attack; if you can just grab the pluripotent cells and innoculate-- oh THOX, the bag didn’t duplicate! You no longer have the cells!

I AMUSED MYSELF WITH Y⊕UR LITTLE CLUB OF AGENTS VI⊘LATING Y⊙UR MIND

“Wish me luck.” you say to Shrunken Head Guy. You leap from Throughspace into the Construct. The Focum looms ahead of you; you can see the treat bin.

I RETURNED Y⊕U TO A LIFE WHERE Y⊘U WERE A HER⊙ AND BEL⊗VED BY A W⊛MAN

Good Vuldon, this Controller goes on and on. Just kill me already!

BUT IT IS THIS LIZARD CREATURE SUVRAM WH⊕ SEEMS TO BE Y⊘UR WEAKNESS

An Orthemka teleports in just in front of the Controller’s treat bin. It raises its bolt-shooter and fires three bolts in your direction.

“You’re… A… lovely… Thoxing… COWARD!” you manage to grunt at the Controller, your jaw seized.

STRANGE

Krem-Jiukido allows you to leap gracefully through the alternate reality.

VERY STRANGE

You come up behind the Orthemka, and kick through its heart from behind. The creature’s chest fairly explodes outwards, and it plummets to the ground a derelict pile of metal and meat.

I WATCHED THR⊕UGH MY FELL⊘W CONTROLLER’S EYES AS Y⊙U HELD THE HATCHLING UP IN THE RED LIGHT

You’re dying. You can feel the neurons in your brain shutting down as the Controller throttles you with psychic force. You can kill me but I will not die yet. You’ll have to kill me twice.

I ⊕BSERVED AS Y⊘U FED AND D⊙TED UP⊛N THE CREATURE

Jecta shots zing through the air; there’s a half-dozen iO Shiamara in the alternate reality, who had clearly been awaiting your phaseover to open fire.

I SAW Y⊘U FEED THE CREATURE PLURIP⊕TENT CELLS IN H⊙PES OF S⊗METHING GREAT HAPPENING

A HA HA HA HA

IS THIS WHAT Y⊕U HAD H⊘PED F⊙R?

N⊕W I HAVE MY DENDRITES AR⊘UND Y⊙U

N⊕W I WILL DESTR⊘Y Y⊙U

You attempt to form a bubble universe around yourself and the Controller.

Y⊖U ATTEMPT TO C⊝NTAIN ME?

The energies running through your body and mind burn more fiercely, like fire, like lightning, like no agony you have ever felt before. The bubble universe fluctuates in its forming. You struggle to regain your progress; the bubble universe continues its formation, albeit slowly. The Controller is actively trying to tear it down as you build.

You leap away from the Jecta fire through the other universe, and plunge your payload into the Controller’s treat bin.

You stand triumphantly, as the iO Shiamara match your phase.

Vihrau, Amonolee, Tsshst, and Eemot suddenly appear behind the iO Shiamara and begin firing weapons into their backs. There’s a brief scuffle, which you join enthusiastically, Jiukido-chopping iO Shiamara on the back.

A smile crosses your ruined face, and you stop building the bubble universe.

WHAT DO YOU FIND SO AMUSING ABOUT YOUR DEMISE?

“I’ve already defeated you.” you say, laughing as blood pours from your mouth, your nose, your ears and eyes. You can feel your skin sizzle like bacon, your bones cracked and your nerves singed… but you are at peace.

Vihrau holds the last of the iO Shiamara by the throat with her mekanism-arm, as the second-to-last falls dead under a strike of your hand. She tosses the lifeless body aside casually.

You dust yourself off, and wave at your comrades.

“Good to see you guys,” you say. “Guess I got here first.”

“We had a bit of a holdup.” responds Swvrma. “We ran into a couple traps, and Swvrma-”

“She’s dead.” says Vihrau, gravely. “iO Shiamara phased in... “ she doesn’t finish.

“I’m sorry.” you say. “But it’s about to become worth every loss and hardship we've endured.”

You approach the Controller Focum.

“Who’s in there?” asks Amonolee.

“I am,” you say. “And I’ve won.” You place one hand against the translucent pane.

The furious Controller blasts you with a surge of powerful energy, and your body becomes a nova of light, then a handful of ash upon the floor of the Focum.

N⊖W Y⊚U ⇜ says the Controller, inside your mind. You do not move. You hold your hand against the pane of the Focum, and wait.

There’s a moment’s pause, and the Controller does nothing. Then slowly, it raises a dendrite and brushes it against the panel, as if to touch your hand.

N⊖W WE ⇜ says the Controller.

“We.” you agree.

The door to the Focum slowly, silently slides open, and a blanket of mist pours out onto the floor.

1.) Walk inside.
2.) Do not walk inside.
3.) Write in:

Inventory
Characters
Map
Glossary of Terms
Our Story So Far...

Elsewhere in the Beaten Lands
[A concurrent CYOA]

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Hey we did the right thing. And if the Controller had found our bubble and had influence enough to inject an evolved Suvram image into it, it was only a matter of time before they got to us one way or another

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1. There's still the larger battle agains the void. And we and the Controller are going to fight it together.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Like all cool guys we walk into the mist without looking back.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
Yes

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You walk towards the open door of the Controller Focum.

“What the thox do you think you’re doing?” asks Amonolee, as if you’re stupid.

“How do you know this isn’t another trick?” asks Vihrau.

You smile, and turn towards the rest of them.

“My time journeying alongside you has come to an end. The Multiverse as you’ve come to know it is about to change. It is time for me to go, and bring the Constructors to bear against the greatest threat the Alltogether has ever known. You are all the bravest people I have ever known; I hope that your lives will be fulfilling and long, in a freer world than I ever knew.”

“This is crazy, Maurice. Don’t trust the Controller.”

“I don’t have to trust the Controller. I am the Controller, and the Controller is me.”

“What are you talking about? That’s-”

Vihrau interrupts Amonolee. “No, wait. I think the plan worked! He inoculated the Controller with his lifecode!”

“You are correct, Vihrau. I have to join my other half, in the Focum. The Controller and I will become the first of a new type of Constructor; one that does not build for its own purposes, but instead builds to defend the Alltogether against the Ekso.”

“So… this is it, then? You’re just going?” says Eemot, in her weird deep voice.

“I won’t be gone. I’ll be right here.” you open your arms. “In the heart of this Construct, creating a new world. Goodbye, Eemot. Goodbye, Vihrau. Goodbye, Amonolee. Goodbye, Tsshst. If you see Eye Guy, tell him goodbye.”

The iO Shiamara Resistance members look unexpectedly mournful as you walk towards the misty entrance to the Focum, and pass beyond the Threshold.

So, it’s you and me now.

The Controller’s dendrites lower and brush against your temples. You can feel the mental energy transferring, from your brain, through your Constructor brain, into the Controller, and into the Construct.

Something in the Construct resists. That’s fine, you will figure it out later you’re sure. The transition is not quite complete, after all.

The dendrites wrap about your head, entering your ears, entwining with the nerves behind your eyeballs…

And just like that, we close the page on a chapter of our adventure.

No longer does Maurice adventure in the Beaten Lands, but now he journeys as a Controller in the Constructor Mindscape.

So begins Adventures in the Beaten Lands: CONTROLLER.

Just like that, you can feel yourself rooted in the soil of the iO Shiamara’s creative power. It’s a strange feeling, as if the willpower and foresight of millions were flowing through you.

The Construct seems like a tall tower, and you’re atop it, looking out at the world. You can see so far in every direction, in two universes at once; you see Port Pondskipper, and deep into the Beaten Lands.

You see iO Shiamara cities stretching in every direction.

You see a plane of existence beyond the other two, as well. What is this?

It is the Mindscape, you realize. Your mind tries to unravel everything in a way that makes sense.

The iO Shiamara are the home of the Constructors; physically, their brains are a comfortable home for the physical form of the Constructor, of course. But more than that, their minds are powerful foundations upon which to build Constructor ideas.

Constructors. That is not a true name.

What do Constructors call themselves?

...oh… wow, okay. That’s quite a name. You can pick tiny bits of information from the edges of it, but the syntax grows incomprehensibly dense as it reaches its center.

Anyhow, the… let’s say Constructors live snugly within the brains of the iO Shiamara, bound together by a web of shared consciousness. Together, these countless trillions of iO Shiamara minds form a landscape of sorts, which you will know as the Mindscape. The visual information is almost gibberish; you can better understand the layout through the sense of qoration.

It is an organic mesh of connected minds, with the most powerful Constructors warping the mesh into a shape like mountains. You stand there, in a valley of your own, a weak newborn of a Controller in a world of incredibly powerful beings.

Something is bothering you. The Construct doesn’t seem to be obeying you as readily as you hoped. It is a recalcitrant thing, almost like it was being controlled by another mind fighting you--

“Stop struggling, Maurice. The Construct is mine.”

1.) ”Who the thox are you?”
2.) ”This is my Construct. Get out.”
3.) Attack immediately.
4.) Write in:

Resources:

Inventory
Characters
Map
Glossary of Terms
Our Story So Far...

Elsewhere in the Beaten Lands [Other CYOAs in this setting]

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 22, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I am the Construct, and I am not yours

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

So if we exist in a mindscape then likely weakness is a state of mind - we might be newborn but we're also something entirely new, they might pretend to be omniscient but even they can't fully understand us yet.

So sure... let's make small talk with this guy. But while he's chatting so pleasantly with us, let's spread our wings and use our new powers to amplify and spread the life code (or its mental equivalent) rapidly to ALL constructors like a mental virus or better yet an autocatalytic reaction to change all of them to be part of us, even a small innoculation of it should be enough to start to convert them.

Let's actually go further than this and introduce the the idea/mental image of the life code to every iO Shiamara mind as if planting seeds in them so even if they were to somehow destroy us this problem would spring up again and again for them.

In the meantime though let's go with 'Who the thox are you supposed to be?' and appear to be concerned, distracted and otherwise totally focusing on this clown just like they'd expect of simple Maurice rather than Maurice 2.0.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I'm gonna miss our buddies. Can we make sure they get out of the Construct okay? And what about our scaly baby!?

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

vortmax posted:

I'm gonna miss our buddies. Can we make sure they get out of the Construct okay? And what about our scaly baby!?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

vortmax posted:

As Controller you are able to see anything within the Construct with complete clarity--for the most part. Currently, this flickering stranger {[no] [he is no stranger, there is an aspect of the familiar about him]} is obscuring parts of the Construct, and attempting to control others. You feel that you have priority of power over him in the Construct, and yet he resists you.

“I am the Controller, I am the Construct. And I am not yours.” you insist, angrily. “Now who the thox are you?”

“You must recognize me, Maurice; we’ve travelled together for so long.”

You qorate as hard as you can. No, it can’t be- “Eye Guy?”

“It is Raggart!” snaps Eye Guy, flickering like a hot fire. “You left me alone on the floor of the Construct with a gunshot wound full of cellular goo and no-one to help me. How long do you think it took before the iO Shiamara found me?

They dragged me off to an isolation pod; it was torment inside that thing. You know it doesn’t just let you sleep, don’t you? It digs in your mind, runs you through scenarios to see how you’d react, what information you’d divulge.”

“I’m aware of their tactics, yes.” you say, all-too-truthfully.

“Then I was saved.” he says, strutting about in a tight circle like a peacock in a purple cloak, gesticulating wildly and still flickering. “The Controller must have made a mistake or an oversight; one of the situations it subjected me to was a place much like the Beaten Lands, but different, very different. And there was a version of myself there, who I became, whose shoes I walked in, a man named Skrappi. Can you believe it?” he cackles. “He was a hunted man, the last remnants of a murdered kin, running through the dusty wastes to escape his fate. But this was the Controller’s fatal mistake: We were both desperate for survival. And we were both me.”

“And if there’s anything I know about you, you don’t give up easily.” you sneer.

Eye Guy bows at the waist, and his eyes glint with madness and glee. His eyes are two distinct darkling hues, and they swap rapidly. His face never remains still. All-in-all, this guy was putting out some pretty crazy vibes.

“I’m sorry we left you, Raggart. It was the only thing we could do in the moment. To take you with us would have slowed us down, time was of the essence."

He shakes his hand around inches from your face, a bizarrely confrontational means of dismissal. “It doesn’t matter anymore. Your lifecode allowed my two selves to fuse together, becoming greater than ever before! And we discovered a backdoor into the Controller’s control system, because we’re a genius!” he flounces and sings a flourish in harmony with himself. “So if you don’t mind, we’ll be taking control of this Construct.”

“I don’t think so.” you say plainly.

"Stop being the hero, Maurice. I deserve this!"

“This is not a discussion.”

“Is it a fight, then?”

As a Controller, you have a number of abilities. Bonuses for abilities will start as zero, but increase with certain numbers of successful uses.

Enemies will have Minds of their own for the most part, and they will have a chance to absorb, deflect, and sometimes even reflect your attacks. Their strength of will or mental armor will be reflected by their bonus on a defensive counter-roll against your attack. Strong enemies or special attacks against you may have heightened bonuses as well, posing a greater threat.

Some creatures that dwell in the Mindscape have no Minds of their own, through one process or another. They are usually controlled by another mind, used for a sole purpose such as a mental ability or special attack, or just for general service. Uncontrolled Mindless beings are instinctively-driven, and will attack or flee if encountered.

If story conditions call for it, some of your rolls may be at advantage or disadvantage. In the case of advantage, you can re-roll an unsuccessful d20 roll. At disadvantage, you will roll a d20 twice and take the lower of the two rolls.

Neurocascade [Mental Attack]: You intensely concentrate your will, attacking an opponent with a surge of power. 1d20 [plus bonus: +0] vs. an enemy save. 1 fails, 20 instant crit. Damage 1d6 [plus bonus: +0] +1d6 for crit.

Lifecode Persuasion [Mental Effect]: You attempt to disseminate your lifecode, memetically reprogramming an enemy to become friendly. 1d20 [plus bonus: +0] vs. an enemy save. 1 fails, 20 instant success. This ability does not apply to Mindless creatures or any formerly Minded being which has been De-Minded, or “Stemmed.”

Call Item [Summoning]: You’ve discovered your inventory bag is a pocket universe of its own, which answers a lot of questions about its capacity and ease of access. Through this pocket, you may reach for an item that exists in a random universe. You reach blindly, with a chance of grabbing nothing. Items come from a random selection from a populated list. This item will return to its home universe after 1d10 minutes.

Of course you have access to all your inventory items, though you have no idea the effectiveness of weaponry in this place. It’s worth a try sometime, I guess!

Resources:

Inventory
Characters
Map
Glossary of Terms
Our Story So Far...

Elsewhere in the Beaten Lands [Other CYOAs in this setting]

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 24, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Wait, what, why were there 2 Eyesguy?

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
I think he merged with the original Controller of this construct sort of like how we did with the one in our head?

As for the fight can we use our martial arts to mind blast him from a nearly infinite number of realities at once?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Eyeguy and we once shared a vision, a mission.

I believe we can make it so again.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

simplefish posted:

Wait, what, why were there 2 Eyesguy?

There's far more than one Eye Guy in the Alltogether, my friend!

But long story short, (and to put it in non-crazy-person terms) there was another reality where the local variant of Eye Guy was the last survivor of his family, hunted and running through their variant of the Beaten Lands, desperate for survival. The Controller put Eye Guy in the place of this variant to suffer; instead they joined together to become more powerful, and managed to enter the Construct using another access point. What you see before you is the strange, merged result of the two Eye Guys, Raggart and Skrappi.

Simple! :devil:

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Welp he may have discovered a backdoor into the controller, but it looks like our very stable genius here has forgotten something!

Voting for sort of 2 + hopefully a significant bonus since we've already done the hard work of injecting our lifecode directly into Eyeguy's backdoor :wiggle:

e: To clarify use our lifecode that's already inside of Eyeguy to control him and get him to stand down. Maybe later we can give him a new body or inject him into another controller but for now he can just accompany us and offer suggestions

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 24, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pustulio posted:

As for the fight can we use our martial arts to mind blast him from a nearly infinite number of realities at once?

Logically, you would think so. The Mindscape shrugs, and says "what does logic have to do with anything?"

Unfortunately, your Krem-Jiukido abilities have been severely--albeit likely temporarily--curtailed by your passage into the Mindscape. You are still an expert fighter, and can use the full range of your abilities in the physical world, the Construct, and Throughspace.

The Mindscape, however, is a protected realm, springing from the grouped minds of Constructors and iO Shiamara. Though theoretically possible to access through the iO Shiamara universe, you've no idea how. Therefore, your attacks are only able to be made one-at-a-time, and against a single target (so far!)

You may expect, through encounters and events, to gain bonuses to our abilities, learn new tricks, gain items that will alter our attacks, etc. I'm telling you, poo poo's getting weird!

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Stoner Sloth posted:

Welp he may have discovered a backdoor into the controller, but it looks like our very stable genius here has forgotten something!

Voting for sort of 2 + hopefully a significant bonus since we've already done the hard work of injecting our lifecode directly into Eyeguy's backdoor :wiggle:

e: To clarify use our lifecode that's already inside of Eyeguy to control him and get him to stand down. Maybe later we can give him a new body or inject him into another controller but for now he can just accompany us and offer suggestions

Oh and also take precautions to protect ourselves from his 'persuasion' abilities while we use the life code that saved him to gain the upper hand.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Abilities: As a Controller, you have a number of abilities. This will be the page linked at the bottom of every post, where you can reference the abilities you have available to you. This page is also available as a Google Doc, which I personally believe is much prettier to look at.

Bonuses: Bonuses for abilities will start as zero, but increase with certain numbers of successful uses.

Enemies: Enemies will have Minds of their own for the most part, and they will have a chance to absorb, deflect, and sometimes even reflect your attacks. Their strength of will or mental armor will be reflected by their bonus on a defensive counter-roll against your attack. Strong enemies or special attacks against you may have heightened bonuses as well, posing a greater threat.

Mindless Enemies: Some creatures that dwell in the Mindscape have no Minds of their own, through one process or another. They are usually controlled by another mind, used for a sole purpose such as a mental ability or special attack, or just for general service. Uncontrolled Mindless beings are instinctively-driven, and will attack or flee if encountered.

Advantage Rolls: If story conditions call for it, some of your rolls may be at advantage or disadvantage. In the case of advantage, you can re-roll an unsuccessful d20 roll. At disadvantage, you will roll a d20 twice and take the lower of the two rolls.

ABILITIES LIST:

Neurocascade [Mental Attack]: You intensely concentrate your will, attacking an opponent with a surge of power.

Attack: 1d20 [plus bonus: +1] vs. an enemy save. 1 fails, 20 instant crit.

Damage: 1d6 [plus bonus: +1] +1d6 for crit.

Lifecode Persuasion [Mental Effect]: You attempt to disseminate your lifecode, memetically reprogramming an enemy to become friendly. You have a bonus of +1 to this ability.

Attack: 1d20 [plus bonus: +1] vs. an enemy save. 1 fails, 20 instant success. This ability does not apply to Mindless creatures or any formerly Minded being which has been De-Minded, or “Stemmed.”

Call Item [Summoning]: You’ve discovered your inventory bag is a pocket universe of its own, which answers a lot of questions about its capacity and ease of access. Through this pocket, you may reach for an item that exists in a random universe. You reach blindly, with a chance of grabbing nothing. Items come from a random selection from a populated list. This item will return to its home universe after 1d10 minutes.

Glimmer of Insight [Knowledge]: Something you encounter that you don’t know about, but wanna? Hit it with Glimmer of Insight. Chances are, someone in the Mindscape has the information you need to access. A roll of a D20 [+2 bonus] determines the level of detail you you learn about the subject. This ability costs 5 Mental power to use.

Mental Power: Every creature with a Mind in the Mindscape has a certain Mental Power level. Likewise, every mental ability such as your Neurocascade or Lifecode Persuasion costs a certain amount of Mental Power.

At current maximum, you have 25MP. Each of your abilities costs 5MP, giving you five uses of your abilities. Every dice roll for an ability will show your power level before above, and your power level after below. Checks against abilities used against you do not count against MP.

Restoring MP: After this Mental Power is spent, you will have to find a source of Mental Restoration. This may come in multiple forms, from physical objects and spaces, to actions, area effects, and other more abstract sources. Some examples include Meditative Vistas, Contemplative Pools, Music Concerts, and Conversations with the Familiar and Beloved.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

managed to enter the Construct using another access point.

"antother access point", sure.

The went in through the butt.

That makes his buddy Skrappi Doo-doo