Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Cut power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Ask our constructor brain, surely?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Let's pry the gross doom pods open- but do so while wearing a salvaged Orthemka gauntlet. This might be enough to disguise out intentions from whatever security systems protect the pods.
On that note, we should take this opportunity to see what's inside an Orthemka-- machinery? Grey flesh? Empty space? A hundred werxels wearing goggles-??

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I selected the wrong thing on one roll, so mentally substitute your "Jecta attack" rolls for "mekanism pistol attack" rolls. You may then shake your head in disappointment at my carelessness.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

simplefish posted:

Let's do this first before we try anything else.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Let's pry the gross doom pods open- but do so while wearing a salvaged Orthemka gauntlet. This might be enough to disguise out intentions from whatever security systems protect the pods.
On that note, we should take this opportunity to see what's inside an Orthemka-- machinery? Grey flesh? Empty space? A hundred werxels wearing goggles-??

The one we cut in half with our frag pistol bled. It was a surprise to me too.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

simplefish posted:

:same:

Tree Bucket posted:

Also this.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

simplefish posted:

HBar posted:

simplefish posted:

Let's do this first before we try anything else.

vortmax posted:

simplefish posted:

:same:

Tree Bucket posted:

Also this.

You walk past the crumpled Orthemka on your way to the pods, and you're overcome by curiosity. What the Squiv were these things? How were they so tough?

You pull the helmet off, and step back with shock and disgust at what you see.

It looks almost like a human, but what you can make out of its face is mutated, bloated, twisted.

"What... what is wrong with this thing? He looks mutated!"

That's because he is. The Orthemka used to live in a city in the Blasted Lands, before the Incursion began. The first Constructs ruined the city, and twisted the flesh of its denizens with spasms in the fabric of reality. Seeing an opportunity, the Constructors offered them advanced defensive armor in exchange for serving as supersoldiers in the suppression of their enemies.

You look sadly at the warped features of the Orthemka. Yet another victim of the Constructors, lured by the promise of their advanced mekanisms. Did the Orthemka know they were bargaining with monsters? Did they make the choice? Or did desperation?

You put the helmet back on, covering the creature's face.

"We have to get those pods open. We have to destroy these Constructors. I'm just..." you shake your head, not sure what to even say. "I'm just sick of this. I'm sick of seeing the suffering."

If I could advise you.... don't attempt to tamper with the pods.

So cut the power, then.

No. That will have the same results as the tampering. The system will purge the prisoners, killing them.

Then what? Those are the only options I can think... of....

You have another idea.

You're right. I can phase in and take them out.

You activate your digress device, and step inside the first pod.

It's dark inside, and you feel a body, entwined with slick and fibrous tendrils. You hold whoever it is tightly, and phase back out, stepping from the pod.

It's Amonolee. She's unconscious, and you lay her softly on the floor.

You repeat the whole sequence again, and again, removing Swrvma and Eemot from their weird, fleshy prisons.

"Alright, we have to keep this chamber secured while these ladies recover, so-"

The door slams shut, ringing through the chamber like a bell.

"What the Squiv just happened?" asks Eye Guy, anxious.

Ronalee looks panicked. "I don't like this. This is bad."

There's a sound like hissing air from all around you. Ochre gas rapidly fills the chamber; you hear the others coughing, choking and gasping as the gas surrounds them.

"Why can't this be as easy as the last Construct?" you mutter, and pop the Metalung between your lips.

You phase to the other reality and-

So, they're getting wise to me, eh? You have to find a way to vent this chamber, or at least get everyone the thox out of there. You hold your frag pistol at the ready.

It's so hard to see in the thick ochre fog, though; you're afraid a shot might hit someone. You have to get close a wall, but which one? You can vaguely remember the direction of the door; you think it was the wall you're facing now, but the fog disorients you.

1.) Go forward.
2.) Go left.
3.) Go right.
4.) Go behind.

Inventory
Characters
Map

Elsewhere in the Beaten Lands
[A concurrent CYOA]

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 21, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

cut the power to the pods, which will try to kill the prisoners (and do nothing, because they aren't in the pods) After that point, the pods are now inactive, and no longer dangerous.

They're also airtight, which means the gas can't get in, so we just digress back in. The gas is so thick they won't be able to see how we escaped - once we're supposed to be dead, we can ambush them from the pods.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

So outside-the-box, it's difficult to even see the box anymore. Where are you, box? Where did you go?

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

We have a lot of companions who are choking to death right now and there are only three pods. We don't have time to wait around hoping for an ambush opportunity, we have to vent the room immediately. Go forward, find the door, frag it apart.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

HBar posted:

We have a lot of companions who are choking to death right now and there are only three pods. We don't have time to wait around hoping for an ambush opportunity, we have to vent the room immediately. Go forward, find the door, frag it apart.
except instead of a door, frag the ceiling. We can't see who's between us and the wall and we don't want anybody hurt. So make a vent hole above us where nobody'll be in the way.

If that doesn't work then

Tunicate posted:

cut the power to the pods, which will try to kill the prisoners (and do nothing, because they aren't in the pods) After that point, the pods are now inactive, and no longer dangerous.

They're also airtight, which means the gas can't get in, so we just digress back in. The gas is so thick they won't be able to see how we escaped - once we're supposed to be dead, we can ambush them from the pods.

I like this plan.

We have out meatlung so we'll be fine

Cut the power to the pods. Nobody is inside them now to die, so it doesn't matter if it trips a killswitch.

The pods are sealed so should be safe from gas.

We phased out the ladies, let's phase them back into the gas-free post-trap-trip pods.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 21, 2019

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

A few other things to try:
Ask our constructor brain what the gas is and what its effects are.
Ask our constructor brain if the walls and ceiling are fraggable. If we just shoot and it doesn't work, we have to wait for a recharge while everyone is dying around us.
Ask our constructor brain where the door is.
Check whether the lens also just sees gas like when we phased to the other reality. Even if it's still all gas right now, we might want to keep the lens on so we can notice right away if anything changes.

I also thought about trying to burn the gas to neutralize it, but we don't know if it's highly inflammable or if any reaction would deplete all the air in the room.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

There will be an update tonight, fear not. Feel free to keep tossing out suggestions or seconding ones you like until then.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tunicate posted:

HBar posted:

simplefish posted:

except instead of a door, frag the ceiling. We can't see who's between us and the wall and we don't want anybody hurt. So make a vent hole above us where nobody'll be in the way.

HBar posted:

A few other things to try:
Ask our constructor brain what the gas is and what its effects are.
Ask our constructor brain if the walls and ceiling are fraggable. If we just shoot and it doesn't work, we have to wait for a recharge while everyone is dying around us.
Ask our constructor brain where the door is.
Check whether the lens also just sees gas like when we phased to the other reality. Even if it's still all gas right now, we might want to keep the lens on so we can notice right away if anything changes.

I also thought about trying to burn the gas to neutralize it, but we don't know if it's highly inflammable or if any reaction would deplete all the air in the room.

You put the lens in your eye, so you can more easily see between realities. It doesn't even hurt anymore.

There's definitely yellow gas filling up the chamber in both realities.

You have the idea to get everyone back into the pods, where hopefully they'd be safe from the gas. First, you have to cut the power.

Alright Constructor brain, I need some more advice if you've got it. First off, where's the power supply for these pods? I need to sever it.

I'm afraid all controls for the Disruption Neutralization Chamber are located in the corridor outside of the door, for security purposes.

Can you get me to the door?

I must warn you this plan will take an extensive amount of time; This gas degrades the nerve fibers of those who breathe it in. Extended exposure could cause severe damage to your comrades.

Not just knockout gas, huh? Great. I guess I've gotta vent this chamber, where should I shoot?

I will do you one better; I can take the shot for you.

You can do that?

I'm in your brain, I can do anything you allow me to do. Simply relax, and let your hand move.

You try not to consciously think about your hand, the frag pistol, your finger on the trigger. Imagine it's someone else's, not mine.

You feel your arm move, and not just once: your Constructor Brain has tapped into your Krem-Jiukido and multiple iterations of your arm move through both realities simultaneously. The frag pistol fires once, in multiple, and spheres of energy sear the gas-filled air on the way to their targets.

What did you hit?

I have taken out all the gas emitters simultaneously; hopefully you do not mind. I thought perhaps destroying the emitters while creating the vents would be, as the saying goes, "killing two vulpinhawks with one stone."

I don't mind at all. Quick thinking, Brainy! Can I call you Brainy?

You needn't call me anything; I'm you.

I like Brainy.

The gas is beginning to clear, but not as fast as you'd like.

"We're getting out of here." you say, and make for the door.

May I remind you the controls are on the other side of the door.

Thanks, Brainy, but I'm gonna make my own hole.

You raise your frag pistol and-

Why isn't it whining? It usually makes a charging whine.

I am uncertain of its function. Perhaps that shot overwhelmed the mekanism.

Are you kidding me? You broke my gun?

And saved your friends, yes. It appears so.

You poke around at the gun, and find a little latch. There's some form of crystal lattice behind the panel which flips open, and several parts are cracked. A few bits even fall out.

drat. drat it!

Angrily, you pour several mekanism-gun shots into the featureless area you wished the door controls were located. Nothing happens.

"Wait a minute, what am I doing? This is nothing but a physical barrier!"

You step into Throughspace, then back onto the other side of the door.

Wow, that's a weird-looking door. You press a button next to it, which responds with a gross organic squish, like a goiter. The door opens.

Inside your companions are lying amid the last remaining wisps of gas, twitching disturbingly.

"Thox." you curse. That all happened so quickly. You run to the nearest person, who happens to be Adanios. He lays twitching and coughing next to Baradas, who seems eerily still.

"There must be something I can do!" you exclaim, distraught.

I would suggest medical intervention, but I believe the only medical facilities on a Construct would be within the iO Shiamara command center. It is likely to be fortified. However, there is a good chance they will have an antidote, or some form of toxin removal device. I cannot say specifically.

You take note of Adanios' book, lying where his contorted, spasming hand dropped it. Could there be something in there? Would any of them work for me?

1.) Look through Adanios' book for something useful.
2.) Get to the iO Shiamara command center.
3.) Write in:

Inventory
Characters
Map

[A concurrent CYOA]

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1. It'd take time to get to the command center and we'd have to fight our way in, on our own, without our best gun, and then presumably carry our incapacitated comrades there one by one. Assuming nothing happened to them while lying exposed in hostile territory by an enemy who knows exactly where they are. Meanwhile the cards are right here and so far they've been giving us what we need even if it isn't what we expect.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

HBar posted:

1. It'd take time to get to the command center and we'd have to fight our way in, on our own, without our best gun, and then presumably carry our incapacitated comrades there one by one. Assuming nothing happened to them while lying exposed in hostile territory by an enemy who knows exactly where they are. Meanwhile the cards are right here and so far they've been giving us what we need even if it isn't what we expect.

Sound reasoning. Let's go with the cards!

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
Heart of the cards indeed

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The only problem with the cards is we don't know how to use them and even in the hand of a skilled operator there's no way to know exactly what will happen.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

super sweet best pal posted:

The only problem with the cards is we don't know how to use them and even in the hand of a skilled operator there's no way to know exactly what will happen.

Come on, man, what's the worst that could aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
Well, if the deck gives you the results you need if not the ones you expect, then perhaps training is mostly irrelevant anyway and what matters is imposing your idea of what you need on the deck instead, we are pretty strong willed I think so we probably have a good shot at it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

We've seen the temples and deified people, look for people or symbols or sayings we recognise

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

HBar posted:

Tree Bucket posted:

Sound reasoning. Let's go with the cards!

Pustulio posted:

Heart of the cards indeed

simplefish posted:

We've seen the temples and deified people, look for people or symbols or sayings we recognise

There's no time to go to the command center. The book is here and now; the only thing to do is figure out what's what. You pick up the book, which feels strange in your hands, as if holiness were a sensation. It shifts weirdly, larger than it seems, smaller than you thought, a thin volume one moment, a tome fat with pages a second later.

You flip to the first card in the book and read the inscription.

Þæðÿđışŧ ƕ ǞƛÎȡȉȝƦơņ

Holy thox, that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. However, there's a glimmer of familiarity about the glyphs. You recall seeing them in various places on the Temple Plane; they must be some form of divine or Risen writing. Which means, perhaps it is a reflection of all languages, like the Morality Players, thus the familiarity... which gives you an idea.

You try blurring yourself a bit; kind of like crossing your eyes, but across reality. The words slowly take on more and more familiar tones, until you are able to read it as easily as you could glyphs of the Lavish alphabet.

Alizarin in Repose It appears to be some red entity, not clearly rendered. Does this have something to do with rest, or sleep?

Sê the Divider Two similar yet distinct figures. Divider... people, things, realities? What's being divided here?

Acaegle's Touch It looks like a woman with a tall head and long, digitigrade legs. She looks to be nurturing, soothing, motherly.

Baeourefph of the Beneath Yikes to this guy. He seems pretty evil, but that may be your own bias talking.

The Wyrm What's a wyrm? Like a worm? Like the ones that die on the pavement after rain? Who wants that?

aGuddizzadda Who Empowers This card is a rich black, with a rendering of an entity which seems to shine. It's like gold leaf, but illuminated. How the Squiv?

Redemption of the Martyrs' Blood That can't be a bad thing, can it? Martyr's blood, redemption? Those are good things... from certain perspectives.

Ympen Looks like a little blue guy, with a mischievous look on its face.

Widjirt Observes Little guy with a little eye and two little... legs? Tentacles? Are all these beings real? They're so weird.

Incēperāmus You don't even know where to start with this one. It looks like a timekeeping device or something, but why?

Table of Lesser Summons There's a bunch of tiny little names here, perhaps items or beasts or people but you don't know, all of them are--well, like the other names; incomprehensible without context.

Oh drat. What is all this?

"Adanios, if there was a time when I needed your smug explanations, it's now."

Adanios spasms, his eyes flicking about madly under his eyelids. The merest trickle of blood darts from a nostril.

Alright, here goes nothing...

Which card do you select?

Inventory
Characters
Map

[A concurrent CYOA]

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 23, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Believe in the heart of the cards. Focus on your request for help as you shuffle, then use the one that feels right under your fingers.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Anjelica's Touch, because everyone needs their momma at a time like this

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Let's be touched by an Acaegle.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

aGuddizzadda and Martyrs might also work but I'll go with the popular choice this time.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Tunicate posted:

Believe in the heart of the cards. Focus on your request for help as you shuffle, then use the one that feels right under your fingers.

I like this idea

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
Yeah I am sticking with heart of the cards as well

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tunicate posted:

vortmax posted:

I like this idea

Pustulio posted:

Yeah I am sticking with heart of the cards as well

You remove the cards from the book, and begin to shuffle them. As you do, you close your eyes, choosing instead to feel whatever you can feel from them. Perhaps the answer will come to you.

First card, CONFUSION, FEAR

Second card, AWE, ANGER

Third card, SOOTHING, WARMTH

Fourth card, LOSS, LONELINESS

Fifth card, DISGUST, FEAR

Sixth card, STRENGTH, POWER

Seventh card, FORGIVENESS, CHARITY

Eighth card, TRICKINESS, MISCHIEF

Ninth card, OBSERVATION, UNDERSTANDING

Tenth card, RENEWAL, ERASURE

Eleventh card... well, no single feeling, just a jumble.

You shuffle through again. There's something about that soothing warmth, it brings you back again and again. It's a motherly feeling, a feminine sacrifice, the last drop of breast-milk from a starving mother to a stranger's emaciated baby. Tears come to your eyes.

simplefish posted:

Anjelica's Touch, because everyone needs their momma at a time like this

HBar posted:

Let's be touched by an Acaegle.

Your own mother, you never knew. You never knew of her, either; she was never mentioned, never described, never so much as a dusty old painting or a sketch in the Citadel d'Morani. You wonder now if you actually had a mother--in fact, in a way, you hope you don't. It sickens your heart to think of the indescribable horrors performed upon her to create what you are, a Constructor-and-human hybrid foisted on the shattered world.

You shake your head, trying to clear the miasma of thought. This is the card. You know it.

Now what?

You pour your intent into the card. Help these people. Save them. Soothe them. Heal them.

A strange, pale woman in a robe seems to materialize... or is it more than you materialize in front of her?

You have met me halfway, as one always meets their mother.

Are you Acaegle?

Shh. You ask questions, when you should be listening to answers. I have given you the power to heal one person. That is the power I am able to grant.

She reaches out, and takes your hand, holding it lovingly.

In this moment, the grave and the womb meet and embrace. There is power in the flowing blood.

Your hand feels moist. Your palm is slippery with blood, and more beads up in your pores, collects in rivulets, trickles down your fingertips. You panic a bit. "What the Squiv is this? What have you done to me?"

Touch your friend. Share the blood. Cultivate life.

And remember, Maurice, I have loved you and will love you, at beginning and end. Do not fear your place in the multiverse.

Then she seems to fade; you are back in the chamber. The card turns to dust in your fingers, which spirals away in the still air like tobacco smoke.

Who are you meant to heal?

1.) Adanios; he may know another card that will help.
2.) Baradas; she seems like she may actually be dead
3.) Someone else, though you can't reason why.
4.) Write in:

Inventory
Characters
Map

[A concurrent CYOA]

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
If we can shoot a bunch of things at once using Krem-Juikido, could we try to heal everyone using the same tactic?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pustulio posted:

If we can shoot a bunch of things at once using Krem-Juikido, could we try to heal everyone using the same tactic?

You could try... Though I caution you, there are often concealed prices to playing loosely with divine rules.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

If we can interdimension this poo poo, let's resurrect our dead wife. She was so important to the fall of the constructors that she was killed for it. Not us, not eyeguy. Her.

She's gotta be who we bring back to save the world - if we only can.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

You could try... Though I caution you, there are often concealed prices to playing loosely with divine rules.

I vote we try it, whatever hidden cost ends up being paid is unlikely to be as bad as the Constructors taking over every reality forever. I imagine even the gods would rather that not happen.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Heal Baradas, she needs divine intervention right away but Adianos can hang on until we figure something else out. Not willing to risk the wrath of the gods yet when we have other options, like the other cards could still empower us to get everyone to the command center safely.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Save Baradas; heart of the cards seems like a legit method for deploying them

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Man these writer people are replaceable. The gods can just ascend more. There was a whole library of them.

Even if we die our wife can save our world. I'm all about the altruism. It's the whole point of being Maurice and renouncing being Morani

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
I'm not sure how our wife is an option, unless I completely missed something she isn't here and died a long time ago? So we can't touch her with the god blood to heal her, hell we don't even know if the blood brings the dead back to life at all.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
The space karate lets us touch whatever. My vote is for ghost resurrection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I think my favorite part of this thread is seeing what people will call things.

Pustulio posted:

I'm not sure how our wife is an option, unless I completely missed something she isn't here and died a long time ago? So we can't touch her with the god blood to heal her, hell we don't even know if the blood brings the dead back to life at all.

She has been deceased for approximately three days at this point; her being is intact, but in uncertain form.

Obviously, I will entertain whatsoever y'all wanna do. Anyone else pro- or anti-resurrection?

So far my count is:

Try to heal everyone: Pustulio (1)
Heal Baradas: HBar, Tree Bucket (2)
Resurrect Grentana (wife): Simplefish, new friend from school (2)

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 25, 2019