Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

There's a demo out for Obsidian's new game, Grounded. It's pretty alright, needs some tuning but seems pretty good for such a small team. There's also a survey where you can tell them why the UI is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

2house2fly posted:

I've no idea what that means. Pillars Of Eternity had a bunch of writers
There were only two full time writers. Other designers wrote for the game, but we had other responsibilities (usually area design).

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

There's a demo out for Obsidian's new game, Grounded. It's pretty alright, needs some tuning but seems pretty good for such a small team. There's also a survey where you can tell them why the UI is bad.

It's also shockingly pretty? I enjoyed it, as someone who's pretty neutral on craft-em-up survival things. Even the not-spider bugs can be pretty scary which was fun.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The artists on Grounded have done a terrific job. Kaz Aruga (art director on Deadfire) is the art director.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Kaz Aruga's hands burn with awesome power

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

POE's art team did spectacular work, it was gorgeous. Tyranny was also quite pretty, and having just looked up Grounded it has a wonderful clean aesthetic, looks conceptually interesting as well at least from the trailer.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I was pleasantly surprised by Grounded's demo. I'll play when it comes out.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Played the demo of grounded. Looks like good clean (insect roasting) fun for aging Minecraft kids, it looks great. Is it the same engine as the outer worlds?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Pretty sure it said Unreal Engine 4 during startup, so yeah.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What genre is grounded, I thought I heard it was a survival game? Obsidian made it?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Looks like honey I shrunk the kids had babies with fortnite

Anno
May 10, 2017

Jack B Nimble posted:

What genre is grounded, I thought I heard it was a survival game? Obsidian made it?

Yeah it’s a crafting/survival game. Eventually it’ll have a campaign which I don’t think most of these games do? Might be wrong on that though.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Gotcha, if it has a campaign I might be interested, if I hear its good. The visuals do look nice.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Southpaugh posted:

Played the demo of grounded. Looks like good clean (insect roasting) fun for aging Minecraft kids, it looks great. Is it the same engine as the outer worlds?
Yes and no. They're both Unreal 4, but Grounded did not start with TOW's code base. They're separate.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Hi

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is there a reason this needs to be spammed in every thread? What do you want us to do?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Be aware?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

There are lots of people who only ever read some bookmarked threads and letting those people know what's up is good.

And of course there's the offchance Lowtax just unceremoniously kills the forums and letting those aforementioned people know why that happened would also be nice.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm curious if a couple expansions can help turn around the narrative here with the group of folks who didn't take too kindly to the game.

https://twitter.com/OuterWorlds/status/1286337375220768769

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
about time

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I can't wait for more people to make stupid insights and thoughts about the design of this game to ropekids face as he reads the thread and just goes nope.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
why would ropekid care, this isn't his game

the game was pretty boring but boring sells, so...

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

luxury handset posted:

why would ropekid care, this isn't his game

the game was pretty boring but boring sells, so...

What is he even doing these days because it's not that new Obsidian RPG Avowed.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
based on a post of his itt seems like an unannounced project

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Anno posted:

I'm curious if a couple expansions can help turn around the narrative here with the group of folks who didn't take too kindly to the game.

https://twitter.com/OuterWorlds/status/1286337375220768769

looks fun.

avowed looks cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN17k6P4XVw

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
This is the best thing to come out of today's announcement imo:

https://twitter.com/VanKelsing/status/1286347404548149254?s=19

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

rope kid posted:

Yes and no. They're both Unreal 4, but Grounded did not start with TOW's code base. They're separate.

That's cool, the new pillars game is running on unreal too then? It looks slick from the small amount of footage.

Re: Outer wilds dlc, I can't imagine I'll spring for it with the market as glutted as it is. Lots of stuff out between now and Christmas and just wouldn't be excited about it. I wouldn't be surprised if its a good and polished dlc but the base game just left me so cold that I wouldn't go back.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

I can't wait for more people to make stupid insights and thoughts about the design of this game to ropekids face as he reads the thread and just goes nope.

Why would ropekid mind?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not going to besmirch the character of people he worked with, I just think the game they made was merely alright rather than great.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm interested in the DLC, but after feeling a little burned by the length and depth of the base game I think I'll wait on reviews before buying it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xarbala posted:

I'm not going to besmirch the character of people he worked with, I just think the game they made was merely alright rather than great.

yeah, i think the essential cause of this game's mediocrity was lack of budget rather than lack of vision, as well as the cosmic bad luck of being released around the same time as disco elysium which is such a crushingly good dreadnought of RPG writing that it instantly invalidates everything every other studio has been working on. like "pretty much another first person fallout-like with somewhat generic gameplay stapled to it" would have been a few points more acceptable if not for disco bursting onto the scene

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

I'm interested in the DLC, but after feeling a little burned by the length and depth of the base game I think I'll wait on reviews before buying it.

Sounds about right. Got burned by the trailer to the base game, and how aggressively mediocre it was. The new one can boast a new map, new characters and new weapons, but so what?

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 24, 2020

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'll play it, I suppose, unless the reviews are dire.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I played it on Game Pass. It was fine but I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it. I got more entertainment out of people flipping out abut it not being Fallout New Vegas in space like they wanted.

Wonder if it'll come to Steam at the same time they release the Xpack seems like about the right time for the exclusivity deal to expire. Fleshing it out with more content might make it worth a purchase depending on the price.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Xarbala posted:

Why would ropekid mind?
Yeah I don't mind even when it's something I directly worked on, and the only direct work I did on TOW was pushing for, then doing the basic design and tuning of the hunting rifle because the game had no low RoF, high damage rifles.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rope kid posted:

Yeah I don't mind even when it's something I directly worked on, and the only direct work I did on TOW was pushing for, then doing the basic design and tuning of the hunting rifle because the game had no low RoF, high damage rifles.

Thank you :patriot:

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

rope kid posted:

Used that rifle for a good part of the game. I love that weapon type in NV. Thanks for getting that in

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Low RoF high damage rifles are my favorite, thank you for doing what was needed.

Please also include a similar rifle in Avowed, tia.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

rope kid posted:

As someone who basically plays every FPS RPG as a sniper, seconding the appreciation. It's a good gun and helped keep the early game fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Seems to me this is a prime time for folks to weigh in on first impressions of the DLC.

I'm thinking strongly of picking it up when I get home this evening, but I'm curious if there are goon opinions.