Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
https://www.cbr.com/avengers-4-endgame-title-bad

Reading the above article about the newest Avengers movie being given the oh so original title of "Endgame" got me thinking how much I loving loathe Hollywood's penchant for giving movies, particularly fan favorite blockbusters uninspired, unoriginal, downright lazy rear end titles.

For me I think it all started with Nolan's "Batman Begins". Really? Batman Begins? A little on the nose, no? Why not just call it Batman Starts? They really couldn't think of a better way to indicate that the movie was the first in a rebooted series than that? Hell, even the equally unoriginal idea of calling it Batman: Origins (see: the gillions of various media types with "Origins" in the title) would have at least sounded less loving hamfisetedly stupid and bum gently caress lazy than the poo poo we got.

Next up the Disney reboot of the Star Wars series. Let's get one thing straight, Lucas camping out up his own rear end for 6+ hours did not make for good prequel films. We all know this. But the guy had a vision. As what was basically a 1970's Tarantino, Lucas based the original Star Wars on, among other things, the Flash Gordon serials of the 1930's. In keeping with this theme he gave the Star Wars OT and the prequels showy and at least to modern audiences relatively unique titles like "The Empire Strikes Back" and "The Phantom Menace".

So skipping ahead to now we come to Disney's taking up of the reins of the Star Wars universe. You might think that they would for thematic consistency make some paltry attempt to title their Star Wars films in the same way as the previous ones. After all, keeping the titles thematically consistent doesn't mean they have to do a bunch of horrible CGI, midichlorian, Jar Jar Binks poo poo. Continuing the previously observed naming scheme hurts no one. It was one of the aspects of the films fan's liked. But did Disney bother with this poo poo at all? gently caress NO, instead they spent about 5 seconds coming up with the unbelievably original darlings of The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. Yeah, because [thing] Awakens and The Last [thing] have absolutely never been used before. But considering how the films turned out to be tepid dishwater I guess we're pretty loving lucky we didn't get Star Wars: Jedi Begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Final Destination

The Final Destination

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

EorayMel posted:

Final Destination

The Final Destination

Predator

The Predator

The Fast and Furious

Fast & Furious

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Disney didn't reboot Star Wars bro

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The truly bad ones are the ones that are generic and lazy but also barely give you any reason to want to watch the movie or barely tell you what the movie is about. Like why would anyone look at a marquee and see "The Interview" and want to watch it. But the worst movie title of all time is "The Dilemma".

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
The Thing
The Thing

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Grant DaNasty posted:

The Fast and Furious

Fast & Furious

The Fast and the Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Fast & Furious
Fast Five
Fast & Furious 6
Furious 7
The Fate of the Furious

"Fast & Furious 6" and "The Fate of the Furious" gently caress up the franchise's title's progression into more and more abstract and abrupt realms

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
What kind of name is "It" and why's there gotta be 2 movies about it?

People waited like 20 years just for there to be a "The Simpsons Movie". They had 20 years to think up a better name. "Simpsons Under the Dome in a Bad Movie" would have been better.

Movies are automatically bad when they're just the name of the main character also.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
If it has the name of the original author in the title, the movie will have little to no resemblance to the written word, and will invariably be bad. See: Shakespeare's Hamlet, Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, etc.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Robocop has a robot cop!

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
What else grinds your gears, grandpa? I’ll add it to your file under stuff you don’t like.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Das Boot did not feature any boots in significant roles. It's very misleading!

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Counterpoint: everyone wore boots in that movie. Makes you think

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That's like making a movie about Jedi and filling 95% of it with midget bears who don't even have regular swords!

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Any movie that's a song title or lyric. Huge overlap with romantic comedies for these.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

lol but seriously I posted:

The Fast and the Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Fast & Furious
Fast Five
Fast & Furious 6
Furious 7
The Fate of the Furious

"Fast & Furious 6" and "The Fate of the Furious" gently caress up the franchise's title's progression into more and more abstract and abrupt realms

To be fair, that franchise has seen a lot of change over the years

The Fast and the Furious: Bros race ricer cars and steal dvd players.

Fast & Furious 6: The Rock fires a mini gun and turns an incoming torpedo around like he's a cartoon character.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
should've gone

furious 6
ff 7
a tie in cologne that suggests hairless muscle and nitrous oxide while impressing the abstract notion of "9" into the smeller's consciousness

also we are in the future

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
If the movie only has one word Title, it's lazy.

gently caress you Aquaman.
gently caress you Bumblebee
gently caress you, the nun, creed, venom, Halloween, skyscraper, serenity, Ibiza.

Edit: Extinction, blocker, pepperment, upgrade, arizona

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls058813655/

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 10, 2018

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

If the movie only has one word Title, it's lazy.

Heat, eXistenZ, Sharknado...

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
IIRC Lucas originally wanted Return of the Jedi to be something much darker, like the Last Jedi, but his wife probably talked him out of it because she was the only reason the movies were any good.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Sponge Baathist posted:

Movies are automatically bad when they're just the name of the main character also.

Uhhh... John Wick, my dude.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
It’ll never happen because marketing, but I’d like it if movie sequels had an original title, ie The Hustler and The Color of Money, or the Man With No Name trilogy.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
are you loving defending "Star Wars: Attack of the Clone" ?

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ape Agitator posted:

Heat, eXistenZ, Sharknado...

Sharknado is an exception because it's two words creatively mashed into one.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Dark Knight Rises should have just been Gotham City, but they probably didn't want to waste a good title on a mediocre film.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Even More Star Wars

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i hate super hero movies but i'm still deeply invested in their story, continuity, and most important of all, their titles. it's almost as though i'm a piece of poo poo who watches that schlock to the exclusion of all else while pretending to have good taste.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the best title for a movie is it’s a mad, mad, mad, mad world

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Uhhh... John Wick, my dude.

Is it an American thing to think 90 minutes of a wooden actor being in absolutely no danger and being perfect at everything is good?

JW was in less danger than the hulk at every point in his "action movie"

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

WatermelonGun posted:

the best title for a movie is it’s a mad, mad, mad, mad world

Quackser Fortune Has a Cousin in the Bronx

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

504 posted:

Is it an American thing to think 90 minutes of a wooden actor being in absolutely no danger and being perfect at everything is good?

when you are in the most exceptional and safe country in the world, just a little danger is enough for us i guess

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

504 posted:

Lmao

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Kevin Feige wanted to keep the title of Avengers 4 under wraps because he wanted everyone to have enough time to watch Avengers 3 without spoiling anything. I mean, sure that seems reasonable I guess. Maybe they take the fight to underneath the ocean, or to Victorian era London?

The problem is, apart from being lame, the title of A4 doesn’t spoil anything anyway. Everyone knows it’s the last Avengers movie(for now, lol if u think they’re not gonna milk that cow long after it’s dead).

All that did was make him look like a fuckin dweeb.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Quackser Fortune Has a Cousin in the Bronx

I also have a soft spot for overblown giallo titles like Never Torture a Duckling and What Have You Done to Solange?

bubblebee
Jan 6, 2014
Pacific Rim.

Tells me nothing. What does that even mean.

War sans End
Feb 3, 2006
enter text here

WatermelonGun posted:

Robocop has a robot cop!

That title is a lie: Robocop is obviously a cyborg.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

504 posted:

Reminds me of RLM's chat about Surviving Edged Weapons, that there's tension because you don't know if the cops are going to survive the attack.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Edge of Tomorrow is the worst title imaginable when they had All You Need is Kill or Live.Die.Repeat to work with. But I feel like a slight modification of Fight.Die.Repeat would be the best descriptive title that is also intriguing and catchy.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

luchajones posted:

The Thing
The Thing

To be fair, it's pretty original to name a prequel the same as the original.

And don't besmirch the name of The Thing (the video game).

I'm quite upset they added the subtitle "Infection at Outbreak 31" to the board game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

ante posted:

are you loving defending "Star Wars: Attack of the Clone" ?

That should be defended. Now that the Zombie trend has run its course, we need a new humanoid thing to kill. Clones are perfect.

• Locked thread