Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Wow what an amazing episode. I was absolutely riveted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
This might be the best episode of the show that they've done so far.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The young Yanek actor was really excellent at acting like James Cromwell I knew exactly who it was almost instantly. Pretty cool.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
he could have sold it just a bit more by saying "that''ll do pig" after stoving his others head in with a phone.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

The young Yanek actor was really excellent at acting like James Cromwell I knew exactly who it was almost instantly. Pretty cool.

Young Yanek is played by Ssmuel Roukin who people might remember as Captain Simcoe from Turn.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

Young Yanek is played by Ssmuel Roukin who people might remember as Captain Simcoe from Turn.

Could NOT for the life of me figure out how I knew him, thanks

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I had been wanting to see the experiment since episode 1 and it did not disappoint.

All the history flashbacks were fantastic. Goddamn this show is good

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Holy poo poo that was so much darker than I expected. And wonderful to boot.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Capt. Simcoe is still such a great shitheel.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Didnt think we'd get a reveal about the virus that easily though.

Jesse Iceberg
Jan 7, 2012

TheDon01 posted:

Didnt think we'd get a reveal about the virus that easily though.

Me too; I had kind of hoped that it would always be left a bit ambiguous whether it was an intentional or accidental bioweapon release, or it was truly a natural accident of the worlds' divergence and the subsequent cold war just a reminder of people's willingness to distrust (even if, or maybe especially because, they're wearing your own face).

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
That was an unexpected deep dive I've been waiting for, never thought it would be some complete.

Also, this is a great snippet on just how much work goes into this:

https://twitter.com/CPWritersRoom/status/1087177713863995394

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
The scene with the rolling flashlights was absolutely brilliant. What a shot, and what a show.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
The best show that nobody knows about

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

HanabaL03 posted:

The scene with the rolling flashlights was absolutely brilliant. What a shot, and what a show.

Yeah, that was kind of terrifying and creepy. One of the most effective horror scenes I've seen from a show that isn't explicitly horror.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

HanabaL03 posted:

That scene really distracted me because I had to figure out if the torches rolling the same direction meant that the worlds were mirrored or rotated relative to each other and I keep confusing myself every time I think I've worked it out.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The fact that the very first deliberate, tiny, change led to the death of the son was a bit silly, but whatever, great episode.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Junkenstein posted:

The fact that the very first deliberate, tiny, change led to the death of the son was a bit silly, but whatever, great episode.

I think that's just his assumption and we're not supposed to believe everything he believes. There would have been countless immeasurable changes that snuck in right from the very beginning and any number of them could have contributed to that outcome.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Tiggum posted:

That scene really distracted me because I had to figure out if the torches rolling the same direction meant that the worlds were mirrored or rotated relative to each other and I keep confusing myself every time I think I've worked it out.

Yeah has to be rotated, mirrored the people would look totally different. Ever studied your partner in the mirror? The difference is striking.

Unless you have a perfectly symmetrical partner in which case congrats, keep smashin that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

It was good because it was a simple idea for the story and plausible (sis who got the tape didn’t hear the ruckus to come intervene). Just bad luck it caused his death.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I think that's just his assumption and we're not supposed to believe everything he believes. There would have been countless immeasurable changes that snuck in right from the very beginning and any number of them could have contributed to that outcome.

If he put his family's safety before his science experiment they'd have been safe on the other side of the border, blaming the other you for everything is the theme of this season though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just catching up now, EP4: Our Howard is just such a loving doormat lol. Guy beats me up for something I'm in no way responsible so let me go apologize for putting my face in the way of his fist and then tell a nice story about his family. The other Howard could definitely learn to be a bit more diplomatic though, you'd think in his line of work it would be quite beneficial. Anyway, great show, great season so far. Really glad I have a few more episodes lined up already :getin:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Considering in the first meeting between the two worlds they were talking in sync, I wonder what change prompted them to lose that synchronicity.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Nichael posted:

Considering in the first meeting between the two worlds they were talking in sync, I wonder what change prompted them to lose that synchronicity.

I think that's the entire point of the exchange is the split is subtle but has already happened by the end of that conversation just because they're different people now. The flashlights are mirrored until then, and it's only snowballing.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
the butterfly already flapped it's wings

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Nichael posted:

I was interested in the fact that cracks appeared asymmetrically along the corridor joining the worlds when it first happened. The flashlights dropped on either side roll differently on the different surfaces, which directly resulted in one of them being picked up before the other which seemed to be the trigger for them to go out of sync.

Probably reading too much into it but it's a neat trigger for their desync

Chalks fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 24, 2019

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
The amount of detail that goes in to subtle differences that can, in turn, cause major shifts (or nothing at all, just happens to be a small difference) is outstanding in it's own right.

Then of course the acting... loving fantastic all around.

Maybe best show I've ever watched, certainly one of the, too much thinking for my rusty brain to come up with something better. Never knew I was so into spy-games like stuff either, specifically the old school way they do it; drop boxes, subtle note passing, code words/phrases, closing the blinds a certain way, that scene where the guy dropped paper-clips on the ground for the other guy to step on as a "we're blown" signal. Like, no heavy reliance on tech/hacking and poo poo.

And the way it's all done just feels so real, like this poo poo may be going on right now somewhere (the spy games that is, I don't think I have an Other somewhere, or my family got swapped without me knowing somethings up :ninja: :tinfoil:)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Being able to kill your other brings up some heavy duty psychological poo poo I gotta say.

Lambert was the flip side :a2m:

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
I'm starting to get nervous that Starz isn't going to give this show a 3rd season. Seems like all the cast and writers who are on Twitter are posting daily about making sure to watch the show. If this show were on Netflix or Hulu it would be a cult hit.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I feel like as long as American Gods isn't canceled, Counterpart is safe. Much cheaper and doesn't have a tremendous year of nuclear-level disaster in the press clinging to it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The biggest difference between the two worlds is that Counterpart is on HBO over there.

There's obviously a lot of good shows that are getting lost in this day and age and just not getting coverage or viewers, but Counterpart genuinely has all the ingredients that should make it a hit.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
What an incredible episode. This show is loving outstanding and I'm sad it is so under the radar.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I stopped watching this show in S1 for some reason, time to go back and watch it!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Another great episode. I wonder if alternate reality Peter will come up again or if that's the last we'll see of him.

I was also wondering when Howard returns home to find the guards dead/unconscious, and enters his home with his gun drawn, there's a scene of the house then he pauses as if it has some significance. Is it just that there doesn't appear to be anyone home, or is there something I'm missing?

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.

Chalks posted:

Another great episode. I wonder if alternate reality Peter will come up again or if that's the last we'll see of him.

I was also wondering when Howard returns home to find the guards dead/unconscious, and enters his home with his gun drawn, there's a scene of the house then he pauses as if it has some significance. Is it just that there doesn't appear to be anyone home, or is there something I'm missing?

That was Quayle and Clare's house, part of what Quayle said to Claire about quitting his job and getting the gently caress outta there was that Howard was on his way to their house as well, so time to go.

If that's the scene you're talking about at the end of the episode. Also, Quayle mentioned that he drugged the guards with fentanyl, not sure if they are also dead.

Is that what you're asking about? If so I believe, to answer your question, he was simply wondering where everyone was, maybe putting some things together that we, the audience, are aware of.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Knee posted:

That was Quayle and Clare's house, part of what Quayle said to Claire about quitting his job and getting the gently caress outta there was that Howard was on his way to their house as well, so time to go.

If that's the scene you're talking about at the end of the episode. Also, Quayle mentioned that he drugged the guards with fentanyl, not sure if they are also dead.

Is that what you're asking about? If so I believe, to answer your question, he was simply wondering where everyone was, maybe putting some things together that we, the audience, are aware of.

Oh right, of course. They were both being guarded. drat I am dumb for not realising that, it's completely obvious. Thanks :D

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched the first two episodes last night and holy hell how have I slept on this show for a season and a half

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

It's implied the fent used on them just knocks em out like when they abducted the first Lambert, he was just doped up.

But holy hell, just rubbing some fentanyl on a dude is totally gonna kill em

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

TheDon01 posted:

It's implied the fent used on them just knocks em out like when they abducted the first Lambert, he was just doped up.

But holy hell, just rubbing some fentanyl on a dude is totally gonna kill em

i assumed they'd dilute it a bit. the bit i had trouble with is how did he slip the derms onto both of their wrists at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Jose Mengelez posted:

i assumed they'd dilute it a bit. the bit i had trouble with is how did he slip the derms onto both of their wrists at the same time?

Boyscout Handshake?