Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Skyarb posted:

Are there any tutorial missions that give you a ship with the new scanner stuff, I want to make sure all my bindings are appropriate.

All ships have the scanner pre-equipped. You don't need to buy anything special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Voyager I posted:

This conversation is terrible but I'm laughing at the people pretending that combat logging is a) good a healthy for multiplayer combat and b) difficult to solve. Basically every MMO that cares about it even a little bit has solved it and it's bone easy. All you gotta do is give ships a logout timer for a few minutes whenever they take PvP damage and boom, the problem is solved without the developers having to manually review people's connection logs and handing out punishments.

No, you can't just cram in a logout timer, that absolutely isn't the problem or they would have done that already. If you slam alt+F4, the connection to the other player is already gone so you couldn't put in a logout timer there, and the thing is their servers aren't the thing maintaining the realtime gameplay session state either (there is just way too much world to simulate for that to make a single iota of sense), the individual clients are. Their server just negotiates the instances (among keeping the background simulation and the general map of the universe). When you connect to someone else, it's done directly, and the session between you and the other players is maintained via ownership of individual objects based on distance.

To enforce a logout timer even in cases where someone pulls their modem cable in disgust, you would actually have to make someone else's client suddenly gain ownership of your ship for the period of time that logout timer is active. Do you really trust someone else with that information to not then maliciously report instantly that it was destroyed? (That's a trick question, the answer is of course you don't.)
If you wanted to be really malicious with that kind of concept, a player could see you connect to their instance, DDOS you to knock out your connection with Frontier, then once ownership is transferred for the logout timer just report you're dead immediately.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 25, 2021

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Is Odyssey out or not? I have the DLC installed, I've even reinstalled it, but the launcher refuses to show it as an option.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

I said come in! posted:

If you purchased through Steam; Once you load the launcher, logout, and log back in with the Steam login option.

Huh, if it had presented such an option, I either missed it or they really needed to explain the intent behind it. Either way I did manage to get around it by just linking my account through their webstore and now Odyssey is present. Not sure how I feel about this system.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

That and orbiting bodies are also based on real time, from my understanding.