Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ShootaBoy posted:

Which of the two Kraits is the one that's supposed to be "less noticeable" or whatever the phrasing was? I wanna kind of plan my shopping ahead of time for whenever I get Horizons.

I know they said that about the krait mkII, not sure about the phantom though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Montalvo posted:

Found my first ever geological site last night. Didn't realize the planet was high g and crashed into it and died, losing a few thousand ly worth of scanned data. First time this has happened and now I know how you all feel.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Condolences from one who also knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2WH8mHJnhM

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

the new exploration poo poo is really good. i quickly found some geysers and was able to farm a bunch of materials from them. Also I got over 9 million credits for mapping a smallish system with some terraformable metallics. i didnt even discover them :eyepop:

the lighting and new voice acting stuff is cool too

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Elderbean posted:

Can I do exploration in the sidewinder? How far out do I have to go before I find things to discover? I'm in LP 98-132.

there are people who have gone all the way across the galaxy in a non-engineered sidewinder lol

but if u wanna do that bring ur poopsocks

also, in my experience you usually don't find undiscovered systems until several hundred light years out, if not 1000+

Rah! fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 14, 2018

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I just checked and Maia is over 60 jumps away, so... not going to be doing that whole "engineering" thing.

lol 60 jumps is nothing, you are like little babby :smug:

I remember when Maia (or even Sol lol) seemed like it was an impossible distance away...then i went there, and kept on going to the California nebula, and Maia didn't seem so bad anymore. Then i went to the Formadine rift, which was around 24,000 light years round trip, and took me 9 months to finish (i scanned drat near everything i found). And that's nothing compared to the people going to Colonia (though i guess the neutron star highway helps with that now), or Sagittarius A, or across the galaxy :trumppop:

if you ever get into exploration you'll encounter some real space madness

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

It's not just that it's 60 jumps, but that it's 60 jumps to buy a single item and then come all the way back

lol :frontear:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

iospace posted:

You only need to fly out to it if you want to do a detailed surface scan. The FSS scanning gets you the amount that Road to Riches says you get. The jury is still out though on how much the surface scanning with the probes gets you.

surface scanning alone gets you a poo poo ton of money. I made over 9 million by doing surface scans in a discovered system with like a dozen planets.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dogeh posted:

Elite is one of those games that I ended up spending a lot of money on!

Like a HOTAS.
Or cool skins.
The loving LEP.

Boy, that was totally worth the money. *insert extreme sarcasm*

:qq:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

I'm going to straight up admit that I don't think every gameplay element in a game needs to be super deep or purposeful. I'd love space legs just to have them and be able to walk around my ship, even if there was no additional gameplay attached to it. If nothing else, it helps sell the illusion that you're actually a person flying a ship, and will also help realize the scale of how big these ships are. Once you're in the cockpit, aside from handling, most ships feel roughly the same size. I know not everyone agrees with this, but sometimes things are just cool for their own sake. Being able to land on planets with atmosphere and cloud cover, while adding no additional gameplay that what we have already, would be fine by me too. Elite is best when played for what it is: the illusion of flying a ship, and anything that adds weight to that feeling, even without much to do, helps the game create that illusion.

:agreed:

I wanna be able to walk around my ship, landing pads, and planet surfaces. I want to be able to repar a ship via EVA/walking around the interior manually, as an alternative to using repair limpets or an auto field maintenance unit. it would be cool, and provide options for people without enough module space, or money, or whatever. The trade off being, it takes longer. Or what about boarding other ships/defending against it? Maybe youll be able to hire some npc crew to help with that stuff, and do other things. Maybe a science team to provide a slight buff to scanning/mapping time, and u can go visit them in the science room and see them doing nerd poo poo, etc, etc.

Space stations would be cool too for spacelegs, but i think they should keep the option to do everything from your ship that you currently can, and then maybe a few new mission types that do require you to walk around a bit. I wanna visit a space bar, or a space doctor, or pull a space heist and have a space shootout with spacemans before i escape in my spaceship.

I feel like elite should be able to implement spacelegs at least as well as x4 or no mans sky. The cobra engine seems pretty cool, and it looks like they already have some good tech for NPC crowds, animals, and plants, in their other games that use the engine, which makes me optimistic about elite. Also, i feel like station interiors have been slowly getting refined as time goes on...maybe getting ready for something? :bernpop:

but gameplay aside , even just being able to walk around and get a sense of scale would be amazing.

whatever PS space :vince:

Rah! fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 26, 2018

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

oops wrong thread lol

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ShootaBoy posted:

My condolences. I ran into what I'm sure is a bug earlier, where I was obliterated by an NPC pirate literally before I could turn my ship around to face him. Between the failed missions and the rebuy, I'm out like 9 million credits or so, on top of getting a million bounty fine. Hopefully support will be kind with my ticket, because I really don't see how my Krait going from full everything, to no shields and 40% hull before my guns are even finished popping out can't be a bug.

the sounds like a return of an old bug where NPCs were equipped with multicannons that shot plasma/rail gun shots or whatever instead of normal weapons shooting normal bullets

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I was exploring one of those "encoded emissions" sites and it was nothing but spaceship debris and loot. I was hoovering up the canisters when a large piece of wreckage floated by that looked just like the cockpit of what I'm flying, an Asp Explorer. :stonklol:

more like asp exploder :vince:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Point defense shoots at missiles, torpedoes, mines, and hatch breaker limpets within line of sight of the turrets. Torpedoes have a ton of hit points though so its hard to shoot them down in time, even with multiple turrets

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

finally swapped the 7d thrusters on my anaconda for 7a's and god i feel so much less fat

also put on reactive armor, fully a ranked anaconda yaaay

not counting life support and sensors duh

you could a-rank the life support and sensors and then engineer them to be lightweight :coolfish:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

I always A rank sensors, and usually engineer for longrange! I can't imagine going back and not being able to see what is going on ~10km out...

i feel like sensors are unnecessarily heavy, and the range of stock A-rated sensors is fine (it sure beats back in the day when i always ran D-rated sensors to keep weight down) :shrug:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Eldragon posted:

Turrets are rarely worthwhile on your ship

that's not true though, at least not for bigger ships and PvE

No, turrets don't put out as much damage as fixed or gimballed weapons (lol nice balancing :frontear:), but they do use less power than gimbals (lol :thunk:) and more importantly, they have the ability to keep shooting at your target while you're not facing it, which can give you a higher DPS than you would have otherwise (if you're fighting more maneuverable ships than your own, for example), and make it easier to hit the same target with weapons of varying shot speed. They also allow you to focus on other things while you continue to shoot at your enemy, so you can look at the side panels, grab another poopsock, or focus on flying or aiming your fixed/gimballed weapons. And it's even more of a bonus if you have engineered weapons that benefit from constantly landing hits (corrosive multicannons, scramble spectrum lasers, etc).

I have turrets on my keelback, python, anaconda, and krait, and i murder the gently caress out of everything in PvE. My damage output increased on my krait for example, after i switched from using a gimballed corrosive multicannon to using a turreted one on the top mount, because it was hitting my targets a lot more as i chased them around in loops, not to mention it keeps the corrosive effect constantly applied. Also it's better for my ~immersion~ to have turrets on big ships, instead of just using them like oversized fighter jets lol. Also, you can do multicrew poo poo.

The main drawback in my opinion is the reduced firing range rather than the reduced damage, but it isn't a deal breaker in PvE at least. I would guess that turrets are much less useful in PvP, where not only do you put out less damage, but everyone also has mega shields and is always flight-assist-off jousting and boosting in circles at high speed, so it would be harder to keep them in your turret range (and maybe large turrets wouldn't always track fast enough?).

Thundarr posted:

As a beginner, would you recommend I just go with multicannons everywhere then or is there a benefit to mixing in some lasers?

Yeah multicannons are really good but the ideal weapon loadout can depend on a lot of factors, such as hardpoint placement (lasers are instant hitscan weapons, whereas projectiles take time to reach the target...aside from rail guns which are also hitscan), distributor and powerplant capacity (most projectile weapons use way less power, as do turreted mounts vs gimbals, though fixed mounts use the least), heat generation, how skilled you are at flying and the tactics you like to use, and what kind of engineering you do.

That being said, if you don't have multicannons engineered with incendiary (makes projectiles good against shields), then you should have at least one laser in your loadout to bring shields down.

Here's my PvE krait mkII loadout if anyone is interested, which kinda addresses your question in addition to the turret question:

on top:
-c3 multicannon turret + g5 overcharged and corrosive shell (makes it more powerful, corrosive weakens target armor)
-c3 fragment cannon turret + g5 rapid fire and screening shell (shoots nonstop and can target missiles/torpedos/mines, it's basically an automatic shotgun as big as a car lol)
-c3 gimballed burst laser + g5 focused and scramble spectrum (focused increases range and penetration and decreases damage falloff, scramble spectrum causes random module malfunctions)

bottom:
-c2 seeker missile rack + increased ammo and oversized (gonna upgrade to a packhound launcher eventually. missiles are hella fun)
-c2 multicannon turret + g5 long range and incendiary shell (long range increases the shot speed, which increases the firing arc because it doesn't have to lead targets as much. Also i think the turret looks really fuckin cool and u can do multicrew turret strafing runs on ground settlements or whatever, also it's necessary because i'm running an undersized powerplant to save weight, and because i like being able to fire indefinitely on just 1-2 weapons pips without draining my distributor, and i couldn't do it with a laser there)

I launch my fighter as a DPS bonus/distraction and i fly real close to the target, and then unload with all my weapons until they're dead, and it doesn't matter how good/bad i fly, or how maneuverable the enemy is, because as long as i stay within 500 meters of them the frag cannon turret tears poo poo up, and as long as i stay within 2 km or whatever it is, the multicannon turrets do their thing. And i don't have to think about them, they just shoot on their own while i focus on aiming my burst laser or dealing with collector limpets and whatnot. And if my weak lil krait bi-weave shields drop in the process, i boost away, let my fighter keep distracting the enemy as i spam missiles and let my shields recharge, and then i boost in close again. Works really well for me against pirates and in combat zones and its really fun even if i don't have maximum damage output due to the turrets.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 22, 2019

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

wow thats a lot of spaceman words

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Annath posted:

I'm almost positive that Turrets use MORE power than fixed and gimballed, in addition to doing less damage.

im 5,000 ly from outfitting, but unless coriolis and my memory are wrong, turrets do use less power

for example a c3 turreted frag canon uses 1.29mw while a c3 gimbaled one uses 1.55mw

e: turrets use less power than gimbals, but more than fixed. a c3 fixed frag comes in at 1.02mw

Rah! fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 22, 2019

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Thanks for the info! The dropship steers like a boat and I'm still getting used to the drift, so I figured some turrets would be helpful to keep pressure going until I'm able to consistently keep my target right in front of me. I haven't tried frag cannons yet though.

Next on my agenda is getting a few engineers unlocked while I keep working on Fed faction.

no problem! also i edited my post, it turns out that while turrets do use less power than gimbals, they use more of it than fixed mounts

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Shine posted:

It's okay to post about your ship in the thread about the game about having a ship.

but what if my ship is a bad ship and people laugh at my ship :negative:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Annath posted:

git gud

what rings you got bithc

i get rings all the time for having the greatest of all times ship (goats) i have rings all the way from goats A to goats E

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Eldragon posted:

Perhaps I’ve forgotten what it’s like to pilot a ship that doesn’t have Dirty drives installed. I use fixed weapons on a vette and have no trouble keeping my target in front of me. :shrug:

i have dirty drives on my krait and my anaconda...but IMO its way more fun to have some turrets equipped than it is to fly a skyscraper sized ship like its a tiny fighter. It feels better to me and im better at landing constant shots that way and im still massively overpowered anyways (for PvE). Also i decided i hate having to micromanage pips, and my shields are a bit underpowered (im using my module and utility slots for other stuff...its a multirole ship), so i like to keep 4 pips in systems during combat (unless shields are down and im running away) which allows me to take on big ships and multiple ships. That leaves only one pip each for weapons (i tailor my loadout to be able shoot a long time on low pips, so mostly projectiles) and engines, which means my maneuverability often sucks during combat, so i use the turrets.

Turrets are cool i like it when an npc flies past my side and I can turn my head and watch as my ship unloads a buch of frag and multicannon rounds at them. Feels good when an anaconda loses 50% of its hull while ur not even looking at it :trumppop:

Rah! fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 22, 2019

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dareon posted:

Distant Worlds 2, Leg Aaaggh!

:hellyeah:

Nice pics, and it's cool reading the science stuff. Nice keelback too :coolfish:

i'm on an exploration trip too right now and your posts inspired me to finally go through my screen shots and make a post about it (almost done...)

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

A few months ago i started an exploration mission to map the two earth-like worlds i had found previously, plus any nearby waterworlds. Several thousand light years into my trip i found a system with an earthlike, a waterworld, a terraformable waterworld, and two terraformable high metal content worlds. Then in the next system i found another waterworld and a terraformable HMC.

After that i let the space madness take hold completely and scanned 100+ stars in a roughly 100x50 light year area, and found a half dozen more waterworlds, a couple dozen terraformable HMCs, a few ammonia worlds, maybe a dozen gas giants with water and ammonia based life, a water giant, and another earthlike world. I filtered for KGB FOAM stars only (usually i don't filter, and just keep an eye on my route) and completely mapped almost every system with earthlikes, waterworlds, or terraformables, including a 75 body system where half of it was over 400,000 light seconds away....i had to break that one up over a few days lol.

I've been scanning this area of space for a couple weeks now, but i'm gonna leave soon, after I map a string of neighboring G class stars. Then it's only a couple thousand light years until i reach the final earth-like on my mapping list, and then a couple thousand more until the nearest outpost.

:shepface:

Still haven't found any biological signals though. I hear its more common in nebulas?

here's a bunch of screenshots

some water geysers:

it was fun jumping into these systems :supaburn::

a couple ammonia worlds:

the first earth-like world i discovered on this trip:

a couple waterworlds. The yellowish one has an ammonia atmosphere:

a moon covered in canyons reaching many KMs deep:

the mini mountain cluster in the background is covered in geysers, making it look like a lil volcano:

It's maybe a couple hundred meters tall, but dwarfed by the canyon walls. Did some extreme material gathering on them:

the second earth-like world i found:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dareon posted:

Good stuff, I haven't found any earthlikes myself. Plenty of water worlds, though. You probably don't need me to tell you this, but be careful parking next to those lava vents, one of the guys in my DW2 squadron reported his ship blew up while he was out in his SRV because he parked it on a lava vent.

I had actually been thinking "drat ill never find an earthlike" just a couple jumps before i found the first one. And then i found another system with a waterworld right after that :vince:

That sucks for that dude, I figured the vents could cause damage so i do avoid landing on top of them, but i accidentally parked over one at least once, which you can see in one of the screenshots. It was small and it didn't hurt me, but it did light up the bottom of my ship which looked cool.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Wish you could land on earthlikes or water worlds, but I guess that would be a tremendous amount of work, with manhours better spent elsewhere

they're apparently working on it and have been for a while. Can't wait to finally get it...

Helianthus Annuus posted:

a while ago Braben mentioned that he had it in mind to make it so you could sneak aboard and hijack someone else's ship, and that sounds just delightful to me

:hellyeah:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Rynoto posted:

Those canyons are begging for racing fit IEagles.

yeah that's what i was thinking. I wanted to fly my condor around them but i dont trust my AI pilot to fly my ship near things so i just flew in the krait instead, which was nice

Kesper North posted:

I loved your whole post but I wanted to highlight this one, I want that on my wall.

thanks glad you liked it!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dareon posted:

In glide if you try and corkscrew because you overshot a bit, you'll black out and the controls go unresponsive for a few seconds. So g-forces do exist, but only at 2500 mps in normalspace.

i love it when i overshoot a planetary base but then manage to corkscrew my way down to a perfect landing anyways :hellyeah:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

elite dangerous: scoop rocks n poopsocks

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dareon posted:

In theory you could use it to plot quicker full-system tours for planet scans, like "Okay, A1 is on the other side of the star, but if I go from here to 2, I can make a short hop to 3 and have a clear line to 1..." but that's a significant effort to shave a few minutes off of time in-system.

i do that :spergin:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

hey what's going on with elite, its almost time for those fleet carriers :woop: time to end my 6 month break and get excit

lol :frontear:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

i burned out in the middle of an exploration trip two years ago but all this space legs poo poo is getting me hyped for elite again :vince:

Polo-Rican posted:

Looks good!

One of my base complaints about that game is that the various factions are nearly indistinguishable, and a new player might land at 100 stations and have absolutely no clue of which factions they belong to (or that factions even exist).

Really hoping that the station interiors "feel" different depending on which faction they belong to... It would be awesome if the architecture, lighting, and motifs were different... like, think the TNG bridge vs the DS9 promenade. Would be even better if the people inside dressed and talked differently. But knowing Elite, I wouldn't be surprised if all stations end up 99% identical inside.

According to obsidian ant, there'll be different NPCs depending on what faction controls the station.

And i cant remember where i saw it, but apparently in the dev diaries they stated that there would be three overall station types (maybe Federation, Imperial, and independent?) as well as different looks for the various economy types, like agriculture, mining, etc.

Many years ago Braben also stated that stations might look different based on states of war, or economic booms or whatever. that would be pretty cool

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Libluini posted:

Also the Cobra IV: The slow, fat version of the Cobra III. I think even after folding the first expansion into the main game, the Cobra IV is still only available for people who actually bought Horizons.

the MKIV does have a couple extra internals and tiny guns compared to the MK III. Seems like its only useful for people who play solo and really want another multirole ship in the shape of a cobra MKIII (which is already a multirole ship, and better because it can go fast lol) that allows them to outfit an extra spacepiss scanner

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Seams posted:

Found a cool looking planet the other day and landed on it

i did that 100 times in a row as i roleplayed OCD space explorer laying claim to 100% of everything in my own lil bubble of space, then i burned out on exploration and was facing at least a couple hours of nonstop jumping to get back to the bubble, so i started playing other games instead. i've played ED once or twice in the past two years, and spent 30 minutes scanning and jumping before getting bored with it again.

space is so big that all or 99.9% of those systems are probably still unclaimed. I'm paranoid that someone somehow got to just the earthlikes that i discovered, and sold all that data before me lol

ED is great if you like space things and especially space trucking and space dogfighting, though after those first hours where everything is new and exciting, a lot of it does need some imagination on the player's part to stay interesting. The constant promise of new content always kept me hanging on as well, especially the idea of FPS gameplay. Can't wait for those spacelegs

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yea space is big but the number of obviously interesting things in it within reach is honestly pretty small. Any specific noteworthy place on the map has probably been well-traveled by now; it's been several years, after all.

it's a few thousand light years away from the bubble and a few thousand away from the nearest well-visited area, and offset from any direct route between things. I figure that a tiny number of explorers (or maybe even none at all) have found their way into that bubble i scanned, even after two years, and unless they're crazy, they're not gonna stay there and scan 100 neighboring systems until they find all my earthlikes. ...or will they :tinfoil:

how much of the galaxy has been scanned so far? like 0.01% or something?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If you just headed in a random direction, the chances of anyone finding what you've been to are astronomically (lol) low. I'm talking about specific destinations, like the nebulas, or the center of the galaxy. Those places have all been thoroughly charted by now, I think, at least if they're within 10k LY or so of the bubble.

lol yeah thats what i figured

im still feeling that space paranoia though. my precious rocks :qq:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

i thought about getting a HOTAS at first, but i ended up liking the feel of keyboard and mouse after i got my controls set up.

i set them up to be similar to an FPS, with as many of the most important buttons in the WASD zone as possible, so that i have to move my hands around the keyboard as little as possible, which makes me feel like i'll explode less. PIPS controls are the main important ones that are way off on the other side, but the way i have my ship set up i dont need to gently caress with it constantly while fighting NPCs at least (mostly kinetic weapons + power plant/distributor engineering :hellyeah:)

one thing that made playing more fun for me was to bind spacebar as my menu toggle (hold then press WASD to get the corresponding menu to show up), which lets me look around at pretty space things and enemy ships without an annoying menu automatically popping up and blocking my view.

but regardless of how you set up your controls, definitely unbind the button that ejects all your cargo lol

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Tommy the Newt posted:

Put pips under a shift + wasd. It's pretty important to shift them around!

whoa i didnt know you could do that

i do shift them around lol

i just have my ship set up so i can shoot indefinitely with only one or two pips in weapons, and its nice that i dont have to switch pips around as much

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Thundarr posted:

The Corvette in E:D is comparable in size to a modern naval corvette, which is typically seen as the smallest actual warship. The Farragut battlecruiser (Fed capital ship) completely dwarfs a US Navy aircraft carrier though, so if they wanted to add ship sizes between Corvette and Farragut and give them navy ship class names, there's plenty of room for it.

the anaconda is as long as one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arleigh_Burke-class_destroyer

and the federal corvette is slightly longer

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Gutamaya ships are too fancy and shiny. Saud kruger too, but i like the marine mammal gimmick lol

i want my spaceships to feel more utilitarian, like they came out of the Alien universe or Homeworld or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Do fighters have any value for someone like me who does cargo and passenger runs and a little exploring? Could a hangar stand in the place of weapons? I understand that most people don't want to have weapons at all on a ship doing those things but I'll be damned if my spaceship goes unarmed!

EDIT: VVV Got it. Thank you. I was hoping I might one day make use of the crew feature, but alas.

i always take a fighter bay and weapons with me, no matter what i'm doing, because fighters and weapons are fun, and having an NPC crew member that sometimes talks makes the world feel more alive. Also its annoying constantly changing ship loadouts. What if i want to fly a fighter right here and now, instead of an hour and 69 systems away from now? I dunno if a fighter bay could completely replace weapons though...maybe if you only fight weak NPCs?

i may not have max jump range because of my loadout, buy i would have burned out on exploring quicker if i didn't have my fighter and lasers to gently caress around with every now and then, and its also nice to have help taking down annoying pirates while trading