Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

moths posted:

Well Relic wasn't what I was expecting.

Turns out the real monster is a combination of house noises and grief. There's a few OK scares overshadowed by some great WTF moments, but the overall story just feels kind of cheaply manipulative.

Yeah, me and my friends thought the start was pretty strong with the spooky silhouette in the background making it very tense and the cuts to the old house, but then it sort of just continued into nothing and the metaphor felt more than a little muddled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Does the Dog Die covers a whole lot of stuff that is very useful to be able to look up even if its only when you're feeling a little more fragile than usual.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Chris James 2 posted:

Finished it a few minutes ago. My hot take is I love it more than I loved Hill House?

It being way more sad and way more gay than Hill House almost certainly has a lot to do with that, but still

At the very least it should be easily agreeable that Bly Manor is the better Turn of the Screw-esque piece of horror media this year. gently caress The Turning

Just got done with episode 5 last night and I'm enjoying it. Not as spooky as Hill House because its a different genre and I've managed to call the twists so far, but that's testament to the storytelling, right, that if you're paying close attention you can figure stuff out? The guy I watched Hill House with doesn't like it as much because it's not got many ghosts/scares in so far and another friend found episode 5 very difficult to follow, which I felt was the point but also it was clear what was going on to me so maybe I'm just on the show's wavelength.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Watched Aterrados last night and it was pretty spooky! I liked when the guy would take out his hearing aid cos the whatever was messing with it and his heart problem was acting up so you just hear a heartbeat for a stretch as spooky stuff is snootling about in the background.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Nthing His House being good as hell

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Curse and Cult almost need to be seen together, they both improve one another greatly

Fiona Dourif is amazing in both of them

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Spatulater bro! posted:

If you dropped this lame gimmick I think I'd actually enjoy your posts.

Weren't they already told off and had to leave until they stopped a while back?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The little dog in Monstrum is good.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I know she's an actor and literally his daughter, but she's so good at being Brad Dourif as Chucky! Even in Cult she was great at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Night Watch ruled!!! Never caught the sequel. What’s the difference between integrated subtitles and not?

Integrated subtitles has the vampire's words form out of blood when she's luring a kid with the nosebleed, or the subs getting lit up by the flashlight panning across the screen.

Non-integrated is just normal text at the bottom. The integrated subs are super cool, but its impossible to find the sequel with them because it had like 1 release for a week with it when it came out. Its difficult, but at least possible to find the first movie with them.