Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
The new I Know What You Did Last Summer would be titled 'IKWYDLS' and a group message would be the main plot device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Watched Blue Ruin last week - solid little movie. Also watched Green Room a few days after and was pretty underwhelmed by it.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Just watched Scanners for the first time. Kind of hated it! Nearly every line delivered by the protaganist is eye rollingly bad. Couldn't wait for it to end. Neat effects during the ending though.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Scanners has the best head explosion with an honorable mention to the original Maniac shotgun scene

That scene does indeed own. Unfortunately, the remaining 80 minutes were just a slog for me to get through

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I rewatched (and showed to a friend for their first time) Invasion of the Body Snatchers from 1978 last night and it remains incredible.

can confirm - watched it for the first time on friday and was blown away.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Y'all seen The Evil Dead?! What a picture!

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

When I google Ghostwatch, it says it's on Shudder, but when I search Shudder for it, I can't find it. I guess this is a :canada: issue. Well, if I find somewhere to watch it, I will.

https://archive.org/details/Ghostwatch

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

The Fog may actually be my favorite horror film. Which isn't necessarily saying its the best but its such a perfect mood film for me I can just lose myself in it every time. Right now its slotted in to be the last film I watch of the month on Halloween.

Just watched it for the first time tonight after reading the posts in this thread and I loved it. Loved the music throughout (the score and particularly the various jazz that's played over the radio). Something about the combination of the visuals, soundtrack and setting hit me just right.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Watched The Empty Man tonight.

Enjoyed it - it didn't quite stick the landing for me but man if that movie doesn't take some nice big swings that I appreciated.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

How's the pace feel? I've been torn for a bit between wanting to give it a chance and being scared off by the 137-minute listed runtime

Can't lie - It feels long. But it goes in a few very interesting directions over the course of the runtime that it doesn't feel completely unjustified and for the most part, it stays moving at a good pace. It held my attention throughout although there was a moment when I had to pause to go to the bathroom and I saw I still had an hour and a half left. Literally said "jesus why is this thing so long" out loud to myself lol

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

I liked Fear Street pt 2 a bit more than part 1 but I thought they were both pretty bad. Honestly surprised by how much the thread seems to like these - IMO all the performances ranged from bad to mediocre, the needle drops were obnoxious and eyeroll-inducing and they generally just feel like Disney Channel children's movies with some mid-tier gore added on top. I get that that's kind of the point but the near complete lack of effective scares just kind of made me feel like I was watching a movie made for 15 year olds lol.

Looking forward to part 3 next week.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I thought the whole thing was sort of mediocre with 1666 being the low point tbh. The repurposing of the 1994 cast into 1666 could not have failed harder for me. Reusing the same cast for different roles is fine, but it's a pretty stylized choice and they didn't do it for the second one, so it was just really jarring to see the cast of the first movie suddenly playing analogues of themselves in 1666 (sort of? They only sort of resembled the original characters). It made it really hard to take any of the 1666 sections seriously at all. This was really amplified by how much I can't stand the lead. Her acting was consistently really bad through the whole thing, and watching her just give up or hard fail on the accent half way through every sentence made it so much more distracting. I really just couldn't stand that character's endless ball of teenage angst thing and her actress was so bad. Then of course you find out it's just her self inserting herself and her friends into the story. Like, why? What purpose did that serve at all? Then the movie shifts gears into some wacky teen comedy with super soakers.

I'm not trying to be downer for people that enjoyed it but blech. The whole thing felt like a series for 12 year olds (yes I know its based on some book for 12 year olds) that is also inexplicably a super hard R rated thing.

I'm not saying I hated the "movies" (cough* 2x long episodes of a miniseries) overall. Mostly a fun enough watch but I didn't think it was very good either.

Pretty much my exact thoughts on it all. I'm not gonna dig too much on it because it seems I'm in the minority here but jesus these were some eye-rollers. I just do not understand some of the breathless praise being heaped on these mediocre rear end movies

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

gey muckle mowser posted:

quoting a month old post here, but I finally got around to watching this over the weekend and it's excellent, so thanks for the recommendation! I feel like I need to watch the last 15 minutes or so again as I'm not quite sure I followed what was supposed to be happening (of course it's intentionally disorienting, but even so I felt like I missed something).

Yeah I really enjoyed it as well. Solid.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Empty Man is definitely better then its marketed as. I actually really enjoyed it and thought it was genuinely pretty creepy. The title/trailer/marketing make it seem like some blumhouse bye bye man garbage but while its not perfect, its much smarter and well made than anything like those. Def worth checking out!

I posted about it a few months ago but the takeaways I had from it were A) it's too long and B) man, it took some big swings. It goes in a million different directions and I appreciated that.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Trying to put myself in a mindset where "people get old really fast while on a beach" isn't an interesting premise to me.

Can't do it.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Watched Candyman (1992) for the first time last night. Really enjoyed it and excited for the new sequel in a few weeks. That bee scene is soooo good and uncomfortable.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Thought the new Candyman was entirely mid.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

He's on screen for less than 10 seconds

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

I watched the first VHS last week with some friends and it's WAY worse than I remember. I remembered liking 2 more but can only recall Safe Haven.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

In high school we had a mandatory heroin assembly that involved a slide show put together by cops. It started off as statistics, then there was a "you shouldn't consider this guy that did heroin a hero of yours!" section that included that Kurt Cobain death photo, then about 45 minutes of infected track marks, people who had scratched all the skin off their arms trying to find a vein, just shock images. The last slide was the corpse of a toddler that had been run over by someone who I guess did heroin or something.

If I remember correctly a few people vomited, two fainted, and one had a seizure.

We had one of these too at my Catholic ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. One of the old ladies working the slideshow advanced it too quickly at the beginning which caused the entire gym full of elementary schoolers to see a quick flashing of those kinds of shock images with basically zero anticipation or subtext. Wild.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

I thought the new Hellraiser was pretty great!

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

I saw Hellraiser 2 tonight for the first time. What a movie. Really enjoyed it. I saw Hellraiser for the first time last year and was pretty underwhelmed by it. The differences between the two reminded me of Evil Dead I and II in a few ways. I can enjoy and respect the first one but the sequel with the budget is the only one I really wanna go back to.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

I don't know what thread-consensus is on Terrifier 2 but gently caress I loved it.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

I liked Host (2020) quite a bit and watched the director's followup Dashcam (2021) and thought it kinda sucked rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

I started watching Skinamarink while alone, half baked and sleepy the other night and found the first 10 minutes so off putting that I turned it off and turned the lights on lol