Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fart City posted:

It’s a very operatic film through and through. I think the performances are deliberately evocative of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

Love that muscle armor.

Vlad Tepes strikes me as exactly the kinda guy who would fight dressed up as a flayed man.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

I think I'm the only person who was okay with Keanu's performance in the movie.

Fun fact: The marriage scene with Keanu and Winona were actually legally binding.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

edit: Fun fact, I've still never seen Cronos. I tried to watch it on Netflix but their encoding was hosed up and the movie was unwatchable. Another streaming service had it and glitched on me. Another time I couldn't get subtitles to work. I keep meaning to watch it, but no-go.

Fun Fact: Cronos probably has the most hilariously misleading poster in movie history. Come for the scantily clad women, stay for the old man licking blood from the public bathroom floor:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

I get that but like I can’t think of any movies where people take a “kill em all” kinda glee in killing zombies, it’s usually more offense and being sad for them. But then, I don’t really watch Walking Dead.

There's one episode where they show a guy who kills zombies but then he buries and mourns them. The only characters in the Walking Dead who takes glee in killing the zombies are the villains.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I've never read the book but Congo is legit great b movie high adventure.

The movie is so bad that even Tim Curry looks miserable being in it:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Please stop eating my sesame cake.

Have some coffee and cake.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

lol at posers itt poo poo talking Congo

Congo, the movie that had gorillas, laser and Tim Curry and still was a slog to watch.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Narzack posted:

Did you know this man is a big bag of poo poo?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

You're not making a strong case here.

People in lovely monkey suits clearly jumping instead of tumbling down in bad cgi-lava.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched the Girl With All the Gifts
and the movie makes it even more obvious than the book that Melanie is incapable of understanding other people's emotions. She's confused when Parks isn't happy that she infected the whole world with the fungus and keeps Justineau as a pet even though that makes her miserable.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

I thought the point wasn't that she "didn't understand", it's that she no longer recognized herself as "human". She viewed the infected kids as the future of the planet, as opposed to the humans who were living on borrowed time.

She obviously wanted Parks and Justineau to keep living, but she didn't seem to understand that for them it would be hell to live in a world where everyone else is infected

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

It’s a pretty great moment. Probably the wokest frank miller ever was

You should read Martha Washington:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

For real like, yeah it was fake as poo poo but I have a lot of respect for them being fun and being 100% on brand since like, the late 50s I think they started.

I have zero respect for them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_of_Arne_Cheyenne_Johnson

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

I liked the first Conjuring a lot because it scratched the cheap 70s/early 80s ghost movie itch and looked nice but never got around to seeing the second one or The Nun/etc..

The first Conjuring is a movie that's really well directed but everything else about it rarely rises above competent.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

AASB is the only found footage movie I like besides the original Blair Witch and August Underground

AASB is really mediocre. Not scary enough to be a good horror movie and not fun enough to be a good adventure movie.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

You know a movie is hosed up if Charlie Sheen can't masturbate to it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

He was the best part of Suicide Squad

That bar is so low its under the ground.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know exactly how capable a fighter he is but Henry Rollins is still extremely low on the list of people I'd be willing to start poo poo with.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Darko posted:

I just don't think either added anything to Groundhog Day or Edge of Tomorrow, which are both funnier and scarier.

:same: The only really funny thing was the montage.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/KeatonPatti/status/1148240819796807681

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm definitely intrgued if they're firing up the Evil Dead franchise.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/exclusives/3571817/sam-raimi-working-new-evil-dead-movie-says-remake-canon-exclusive/

I did like the TV show and wish they'd do more with the format, but I understand if they don't considering what happened.

Evil Dead is one of the few horror franchises to not have a bad entry, maybe they should quit while their ahead?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just was Us. There's a lot going on in that movie, but I really liked it. Maybe even better than Get Out.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

Jordan Peele is a really interesting director doing really interesting things, but I think the subtext was too overt in Get Out and too vague in Us.

Considering that Allison Williams had to clarify that she was the bad guy Peele could probably have ramped up the subtext In Get Out.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The only antagonist that sticks out in that series is the :byodame:I want candy:byodame: girl because she was so hilariously terrible.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I appreciate what Mothman Prophecies is trying to do, it's definitely not for everyone. It defies you to like it.

That's like saying that vanilla defies you to like it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I don't remember many people mentioning it in their best of the decade lists.

It's not that good? The monster design is pretty cool, but the rest is just so generic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Disagree. The Ritual was great. Maybe it wasn't revolutionary or anything, but I just think it was a rock solid horror flick that was both scary and a lot of fun.
The Ritual is an okay movie, and that's just not enough compared to all those horror movies this year that has been revolutionary.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

gey muckle mowser posted:

Company of Wolves might have the best werewolf transformations

What's really cool is that every transformation is different.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

See, that's exactly why I don't like it. It treats female sexuality as a terrifying curse that the innocent younger sister has to kill her older sister to exorcise. It's the exact same thing Bram Stoker does with Lucy and Mina in Dracula, except now people think it's feminist for some reason.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

Ginger Snaps owns because I think its the only werewolf movie to finally explicitly tie lycanthropy to both puberty and menstruation.

The Company of Wolves is a movie that makes analogies between puberty and werewolves but it doesn't say that becoming a wolf is bad like Ginger Snaps does.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I've only seen the first episode so far, but the new season of Sabrina on Netflix is teasing the return of "The Old Ones", so I'm hoping they're gonna do a Lovecraft storyline.

I honestly lost any interest in Sabrina once it became clear that she was going to resist the dark side.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

It definitely is a good movie to rewatch for that reason. But I do think it's scarier when you don't know that, because you're kinda in Rosemary's shoes as she has to deal with that confusion and realization that her husband just isn't listening and isn't going to help her. As if it were a Body Snatchers movie and he'd been replaced by a pod person.
The movie really shows how easy it is getting away with evil poo poo as long as you target women. In what is arguably one of the most unsettling scenes in the movie Rosemary goes to the police and basically shows all the signs of being abused and the police just hands her over to her husband.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

James Wan is a great director stuck with mediocre scripts.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I just saw Bram Stoker's Dracula for the first time I've got some pretty angry things to say about how the female characters are treated.

Lucy: I really don't like how the movie implies that the reason Lucy is turned into a vampire is because she's so horny/sexy. In the book the reason she ultimately ends up getting turned is because her mother throws out the garlic flowers Van Helsing brings over and leaves a window open, so the moral is more "If a doctor does something for a loved one you shouldn't undo it, even if you think it seems silly, because you could end up causing them great harm" rather than "Slutty sluts are more prone to vampirism."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My father really likes Sigourney Weaver so it was easy access to the Alien movies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Omen is bad. The remake isn't great either but at least it's entertaining.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah I was going to say I was surprised at the negative reaction to the original. I always thought it was pretty well remembered. Who doesn’t like that decapitation?

After watching it I'm surprised it's remembered at all. It's just so dull and stiff.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

I think if someone went in watching The Omen expecting something along the lines of The Exorcist since it dominated/influenced so much, then I can see someone being disappointed. Omen's a more low key approach in line with Rosemary's Baby than where the trend of 'Satan's Involved' movies were at that point in time.

When I watched it I was pretty surprised over the fact that the Exorcist is actually pretty low-key too. A majority of the movie is spend watching father Karras struggling with his lack of faith. But it's difference between being low-key and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I hate Uwe Boll because he’s arrogant in a way that completely makes all his films worthless imo.

He acts like a victim when he’s the villain.

Uwe Boll's career is basically the Producers in that his investors can write off the money they give him and only pay taxes of the profit that the movie makes. So the worse the movie is the more money they make.