Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Thread lurker, just wanted to say thanks to whoever recommended Savageland. Amazon Prime is recommending what appears to be a bunch of junk to people who liked that movie, so I'll probably have to dig a bit further to find something else good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Narzack posted:

Give Triangle with Melissa George a shot

Another good one. It's funny how hard the blurb tried to describe it as a generic slasher.

I picked Hell is Full at random off of the list of recommendations and it seems entertainingly dumb so far, which is a nice change of pace.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Fart City posted:

Pandorum is a movie with fun leads and good production and an awesome concept, but absolutely shits its pants in execution. It also has some of the most horrendous editing I've ever seen in a wide release.

I was under the impression that it was 2 separate scripts that were stitched together after the fact. The Quaid storyline and the Space Morlocks storyline have basically nothing to do with each other.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
After a couple months with it on my watchlist (basically after googling "Prime movies like Savageland") I finally sat down and watched Hell House LLC. I haven't actually seen many found-footage movies, so maybe I'm just not viewing it with the right mindset, but I was pretty disappointed with it after the earlier movie. The early scene-setting and tension-building with the moving puppets honestly felt like the most effective part of the film, but when the climax hits the movie just kind of generically "ends" without much of a payoff.

The movie begins by showing you that some scary poo poo's going down in the basement but not actually letting you see it, teasing you with the promise that what's happening down there will be revealed in the end. But in the end of the movie you still can't see anything, there's just the camera footage cutting out with occasional glimpses of spooky black figures slowly advancing on the camera. The buildup through the movie of "hmm, this house looks like it's haunted by evil ghosts" ends with "well, I guess the evil ghosts killed everyone" which was hardly satisfying.

It's not like Savageland did much to explain what was happening either (and the final clip with the hiker getting attacked was probably the weakest part of that movie) but it still felt more like I was getting a complete story, even in documentary form. Meh.

Anyway, I did a search for other similar "fake documentary" movies and most of the ones I'm seeing recommended aren't available on Prime. Afflicted is on my watchlist, and Lake Mungo looks like it might be worth springing for a rental on. We'll see.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 21, 2019

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
EDIT: dumb internet post

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 21, 2019

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
another dumb internet post

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 21, 2019

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Finally had a night off, so I just started watching V/H/S on Shudder. Disjointed as it might be, I think I prefer the unrelated-vignettes-in-a-frame-story structure to the setup from something like Hell House.

Prologue: These guys are shitheads and I can't say I'll mind seeing them horribly killed.

Episode 1: From the very moment that Lily appears you have a general idea of how things are going to end, although I hadn't expected her to actually like him like him. My immediate assumption was that Clint was going to die, but instead it's the other two guys getting horribly dismembered and Clint... I guess gets carried off to her love nest? I'm assuming she's a succubus or something, I don't know. The scene of the two guys hiding in the bathroom together while they listen to the third guy die was more effective than actually watching it would've been, I think. Also, compound fractures. Gack.

Interlude: The popscare with the guy in the basement wasn't scary, but it made me sit up and pay attention, which I hadn't really expected.

Episode 2: After the first one, surprised by how short this one was. You can feel the tension in the couple's relationship almost immediately, although I feel like the little turn at the end would've been more effective if there'd been more setup. Like, the fortune-telling machine announces a past love returning, but there's only one other character in the story and she clearly dislikes the dude and feels more attraction for the woman. I was less surprised by the final makeout shot than by the fact that they hadn't built it up more.

Interlude: "What the gently caress was that?" I notably don't say after the video of a demon woman tearing two men apart and flying off with a third. Also the guy in the chair is gone, unless there's another chair.

Episode 3: And now it's... a ghost story? At least this cast is more likable than the last two, they're just dumb teens/college students and the creeping is more-or-less mutual. Wasn't sure what to expect when Wendy started hinting at what happened before, although the turn at the end (actually closer to the middle) was pretty nice and not what you'd first expect. I guess the shot at the end is supposed to echo the appearance of the carcass the guys found earlier? Is this a time loop? Then again, the remembered bodies are different from the ones we see.

Interlude: Okay, I guess it wasn't the same guy between the first two interludes (they kinda blend together) and the TVs are eating people who watch the tapes? Eh.

Episode 4: So it's time for the video-conferencing episode. Again I feel like this one could've benefited from being longer; the interlude in the middle where she's unconscious suggests that there's a lot more going on story-wise (aliens?) but then it cuts to the scene with a different woman at the end, I guess because we need to meet a quota of loathsome guys per episode or something.

Interlude: I guess we're down to mustache man now. Oh, and I guess dead guy was a murderous zombie. Okay, sure.

Episode 5: An actual haunted house story now, except that despite having no backstory at all it still feels more cohesive than Hell House did.

Okay, having watched the whole thing i retract my earlier comment about the frame story working better. If the frame story is going to be an actual story it needs to be better than what we got here. The individual vignettes were pretty good, though, although I think the second still could've used a little more development.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 3, 2019

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Five hours and a bunch of chirpy anime intros after watching Hereditary, the "music" from the final treehouse scene is still playing in my head. I'm trying to sleep, drat it.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Blast Fantasto posted:

Eli Roth is an enigma to me. Somehow the best movie he's directed in the past decade was his Amblin kids movie.

Edit: According to his IMDB he's doing another one too. Maybe that will be his niche now, as opposed to whatever the gently caress Death Wish and Green Inferno are.

I went to see The House with a Clock in its Walls last year because I loved the books as a kid and ended up having a pretty good time, so I'd be up for more in a similar vein. (I haven't seen any other Roth movies, so meh.)

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Just watched The Witch and thought it was pretty good. Similar vein to Hereditary with the steadily building sense of dread instead of typical scares, although I felt like the end wasn't as satisfying (What happened to the twins? Why wasn't the hag present in the final scene?)

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Argue posted:

Watched Savageland and it's pretty fun. I think I like this format; are there any other horror films in the form of people trying to piece together what happened, while never actually coming across the horrors themselves? No straight-up found footage please, unless it's particularly clever.

Lake Mungo is sort of like this (it's a documentary about a family being haunted by the ghost of their daughter and trying to piece together her experiences before her death). I wouldn't really call it a horror movie though, it's more sad than frightening.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

s.i.r.e. posted:

I wouldn't say these are anything like Savageland and are just straight found footage, you could put Grave Encounters on that list since it's riffing hard on the Ghost Adventures type show and characters but it's still 100% found footage.

I'd actually say Lake Mungo is even less of a found-footage movie than Savageland is, since few, if any, of the spooks are apparent to the characters when the footage is filmed and they're only being noticed upon later review.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

gey muckle mowser posted:

Butterfly Kisses is like that. Found footage but it’s like a documentary about a guy trying to make a film about some creepy footage he found. More about the character than the horror part.

e: don’t want to spoil it but the creepy/supernatural stuff doesn’t happen to the documentary crew, they sort of observe it third-hand

So this is like House of Leaves: the Movie?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I have a week and a half remaining on a Netflix trial. Anything that I ought to check out before it's gone? I watched Errementari and The (vv)itch already and was planning to watch The Autopsy of Jane Doe in the next couple days.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Lurdiak posted:

You're recommending the movie that ends with "go to our lovely website to see the ending"?

:psyduck:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I watched The Autopsy of Jane Doe the other night. I was surprised by how emotional it was, and I sort of wish that they'd kept the father-son relationship as the centerpiece of the movie.

The final segment with the son felt unnecessary and counter to the spirit of the rest of the movie, but I suppose after the elevator scene they'd killed (heh) the main source of unspoken tension between him and his father. Even so, ending with a "SURPRISE the killer's still alive!" twist was a letdown, although the sheriff suddenly bursting into song was a nice touch.

I'd heard it dismissed as a tits-and-gore movie, but I think I can conclude that the reviewer in question was an idiot. I'm not really squeamish about the autopsy scenes, though, so I can see how that would rub somebody else the wrong way.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Finally watched The Apostle and enjoyed the overall feel of the setting, although the sudden turn into gore in the final half-hour or so of the movie felt like it was being pasted in from the script of a different film. All along the movie is foreshadowing some kind of supernatural horror, but when poo poo hits the fan nope, it's knives and razors and weird torture devices. On top of it all, the part at the end with the meatgrinder table feels like a QTE segment from The Evil Within or something.

Still had a good time, and it made me curious about seeing VHS 2 (same director) after not liking the first movie that much.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Splint Chesthair posted:

“General! The snails have broken through the barricade! They’re almost here! AHHHHHHHHH!”

(Ten minutes later)

“AAAAAHHHHHHH!”

(Ten minutes later)

“AHHH-GKKK!”

You people laugh, but an adaptation of this short story would be pretty terrifying.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I watched Get Out last night. It was a fun time, although thematically it felt like it was all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Parrotine posted:

I like the one Friday 13 movie where Jason corners this black dude up on a rooftop, so instead of running the guy comes at Jason with every haymaker uppercut and rising hook he learned from his Tae Bo classes, just going all out, the works. Dude's out of breath, looks up at Jason who naturally takes every blow and says 'take your best shot' and Jason does

Knocked his head clean off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrYa_4CgrIk