Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Didn't the one in the asylum come like a decade after Cigarette Burns?

He also made a second Masters of Horror ep after Cigarette Burns called "Pro-Life", starring Ron Perlman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I am trying to watch the movie Creep and am having trouble getting through it, because it's too, uh, creepy? So I guess the movie is doing its job but it's still tough for me getting through it, the bath scene alone was super uncomfortable to get through, yeesh. I honestly would have given up already if the film and its sequel weren't so heavily praised (and I'm a bit of a sucker for found footage/documentary type horror films), so I'll give it another go this week.

Also started watching a movie called Lake Mungo but it is super slow, my god. I hope there's some actual ghost footage in this and it's not just 2 hours of interviews and spooooky pictures?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Okay Friday part VI was really fun, Basebf555 was right.

Jason is finally a supernatural being, as opposed to (arguably) a hulking human maniac. AND we're finally back to being at a camp. Good flick. It only took 6 movies to get there.

edit-- Also this song loving rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIO8k6Doh50

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 26, 2019

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Parrotine posted:

I am trying to watch the movie Creep and am having trouble getting through it, because it's too, uh, creepy? So I guess the movie is doing its job but it's still tough for me getting through it, the bath scene alone was super uncomfortable to get through, yeesh. I honestly would have given up already if the film and its sequel weren't so heavily praised (and I'm a bit of a sucker for found footage/documentary type horror films), so I'll give it another go this week.
It’s extremely cringey yeah, that was kind of the point. The second one takes that ramps it up to 11 so stay the hell away if you don’t like the first one.

quote:

Also started watching a movie called Lake Mungo but it is super slow, my god. I hope there's some actual ghost footage in this and it's not just 2 hours of interviews and spooooky pictures?
lol, you will not have a good time

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Parrotine posted:

There's a major payoff to the slow buildup but yea, there's not a lot of ghost "action" in the movie. Might just not be your thing.

COOL CORN posted:

Jason is finally a supernatural being, as opposed to (arguably) a hulking human maniac. AND we're finally back to being at a camp. Good flick. It only took 6 movies to get there.

Part VI wins again, gently caress yea.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Basebf555 posted:

There's a major payoff to the slow buildup but yea, there's not a lot of ghost "action" in the movie. Might just not be your thing.

Part VI wins again, gently caress yea.

I never realized how much Part VI filtered into my brain until I saw a cop car turn on its lights and zoom down the highway to catch a guy and I instinctively said “hit the noise and the cherries”

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah but who gives a poo poo

Die!!!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So for those that have watched Black Mountain Side, did I miss something with the ending? Cause I swear it was just lone survivor stumbles into bear trap after wandering around for a day or two and then credits? While not necessarily a bad movie, it wasn't that good. It just felt like the paranoia of 'The Thing' without any real pay off; like a bunch of indistinct guys in different cabins feeling unease and then they go crazy doesn't really carry a movie for me. Then the ending...I feel like I missed something there.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

My wife was desperately trying to convince people that Part VI is legitimately a good movie at a party recently. I felt guilty showing her the truth that Friday the 13th are by and large pretty good movies with Part IV and Part VI being legitimately good because nobody believes her.

But she does the Part V dance to celebrate home runs at baseballs games now, so I wouldn't trade it,

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

My wife was desperately trying to convince people that Part VI is legitimately a good movie at a party recently. I felt guilty showing her the truth that Friday the 13th are by and large pretty good movies with Part IV and Part VI being legitimately good because nobody believes her.

But she does the Part V dance to celebrate home runs at baseballs games now, so I wouldn't trade it,

I mean, you really need the right crowd to find people who are gonna appreciate Part VI because it's obviously still not a "good movie" in the sense that it's not like The Exorcist(or The Conjuring I guess, for a more recent example of what is considered "good"). It's campy fun with some nice gothic horror aesthetics but I'm not sure how many people you'd encounter at the average party who are into that.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I mean, you really need the right crowd to find people who are gonna appreciate Part VI because it's obviously still not a "good movie" in the sense that it's not like The Exorcist(or The Conjuring I guess, for a more recent example of what is considered "good"). It's campy fun with some nice gothic horror aesthetics but I'm not sure how many people you'd encounter at the average party who are into that.
Yes, yes... It was more that 80s horror and Friday the 13th came up in general and people were just sort of dunking on it. She had also not really expected to get into them when we watched them, and was surprised how much she enjoyed them on the whole. 3 and 5 were the only ones she didn't really enjoy. So, it was more people who had not really seen the movies dunking on what they thought the movies were and her being like, "Nah, but I was like that and actually enjoyed them" with Part VI being the one that had stood out to her.

I do think Part VI is genuinely good because not only is intentionally campy fun-- and successful in that-- but it has a pace that really works well. I love the series, but they can be a bit of a slog. I think part of what makes Part IV and Part VI so strong is they really hit the ground running.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

I do think Part VI is genuinely good because not only is intentionally campy fun-- and successful in that-- but it has a pace that really works well. I love the series, but they can be a bit of a slog. I think part of what makes Part IV and Part VI so strong is they really hit the ground running.

One thing that helps in Part VI is that it's not just a random group of teenagers slowly figuring out that Jason is stalking them, it messes with that formula by having Tommy involved from the get-go and so everything has a bit more urgency to it because he's trying to warn everyone and you've got his scenes mixed in to keep things moving at a better pace.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I have that same leather bound journal.

Basebf555 posted:

Or start going to better parties where the peeps aren't lame.

I was hoping to have my Friday the 13th: Death Curse re-edit done by Friday the 13th. Uh. That's not happening. BUT I'm mostly done re-editing the first film, and will start incorporating Part 2.

There's a lot of cool things to do, sequentially, with Friday the 13th Part 1, but one thing that's interesting: you can have the snake in the cabin scare happen, and edit out the actual snake murder, and it actually improves the pacing of the scene.

I'm also working with a HD scan of the film, so it looks really pretty. One thing the original Friday the 13th does that the sequels ignored: there's actually some noticeable cuts to wildlife and nature. Doesn't seem like a lot, but just having a quit cut to a beaver swimming in the water, or some birds in a tree, really improves the feeling of being in nature.

edit: Something happened and it corrupted by Nosferatu re-edit, so I pretty much have to start over from square one with that one. Which sucks. It was actually pretty scary. I was freaking myself out while editing some sequences.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/remember_sarah/status/1166026365637816320?s=21

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

One thing that helps in Part VI is that it's not just a random group of teenagers slowly figuring out that Jason is stalking them, it messes with that formula by having Tommy involved from the get-go and so everything has a bit more urgency to it because he's trying to warn everyone and you've got his scenes mixed in to keep things moving at a better pace.
I think having the functioning camp also helps a lot. It makes Tommy's mission more immediate, but it also makes the camp itself a little less nebulous.

I think Part VI also kind of realizes how people watch slasher movies. Adults can have fun with them, but they're secretly kids movies (with obvious exceptions). I think Part VI functions in a way that really works for eleven year olds watching it. When I was a kid, it wasn't campy to me. It wasn't the most scary horror movie I'd seen, but it was incredibly exciting and seeing actual kids like me in it felt special. The final Tommy and Jason battle felt epic. But for adults, it's campy and laughs along with the grown up audience.

I think Childs Play 2 is good for similar reasons.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
McG

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Friday the 13th Part VI brings up a lot of questions with Jason being deterred by a child's prayer to the Christian God.

It's a very Catholic movie.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Franchescanado posted:

Friday the 13th Part VI brings up a lot of questions with Jason being deterred by a child's prayer to the Christian God.

It's a very Catholic movie.

That shot is actually creepy, with Jason's head slowly gliding towards the camera. It's like a child's nightmare moment, and one of only a handful of notable shots that I remember from the series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Say that 5 times in a mirror and he'll ruin your favorite franchise.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I dunno, a McG Hellraiser entry would probably be above average for that series.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I kind of like the idea of a team of hot cenobites who are horribly torturing people to bubblegum pop and making quips at each other not realizing that people don't like being torn apart.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

I kind of like the idea of a team of hot cenobites who are horribly torturing people to bubblegum pop and making quips at each other not realizing that people don't like being torn apart.

Oh, so you liked my Hellraiser spec script?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Joseph McGinty Nichol

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

New Creepshow trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qVQCfW5dss

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I like the one Friday 13 movie where Jason corners this black dude up on a rooftop, so instead of running the guy comes at Jason with every haymaker uppercut and rising hook he learned from his Tae Bo classes, just going all out, the works. Dude's out of breath, looks up at Jason who naturally takes every blow and says 'take your best shot' and Jason does

Knocked his head clean off!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Parrotine posted:

I like the one Friday 13 movie where Jason corners this black dude up on a rooftop, so instead of running the guy comes at Jason with every haymaker uppercut and rising hook he learned from his Tae Bo classes, just going all out, the works. Dude's out of breath, looks up at Jason who naturally takes every blow and says 'take your best shot' and Jason does

That scene was also amazing because the guy just had to punch Jason like one more time.

Do people just straight up punch Jason in the face repeatedly often? Like if the guy DIDN'T say "take your best shot" would Jason have reacted differently?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I think I spotted a few new shots in there!

This is both my most anticipated and my most trepidatious media of the year.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Holy poo poo In Fabric slaps so goddamn hard. This is straight up a Panos Cosmatos movie with Yorgos Lanthimos dialogues/social interactions and giallo colors/editing.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 26, 2019

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Goddamn clanging banging bullshit every five seconds. I can't tell if trailers are getting worse or I'm just becoming an crotchety, loud noise hating old man.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Popelmon posted:

Holy poo poo In Fabric slaps so goddamn hard. This is straight up a Panos Cosmatos movie with Yorog Lanthimos dialogues/social interactions and giallo colors/editing.

I was already sold, but SOLD!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Parrotine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrYa_4CgrIk

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just found out that Tommy Boyle will be returning to the Halloween franchise in Halloween Kills, and they've got Anthony Michael Hall to play him.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

Just found out that Tommy Boyle will be returning to the Halloween franchise in Halloween Kills, and they've got Anthony Michael Hall to play him.

I can’t be the only one super upset that they didn’t get Paul Rudd

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Terrified (2017) is a solid Argentinian film about supernatural forces slowly talking over a small neighborhood and a team of paranormal investigators trying to get to the bottom of it.

Chiming in to say that Terrified owns and was the first movie to scare the poo poo out of me in many, many years. It’s on Shudder so go watch it and thank me later.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I can’t be the only one super upset that they didn’t get Paul Rudd

Man was he bad in that movie

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

sponges posted:

Yes... only that movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

sponges posted:

Unbelievably bad. I demand he get a second shot at it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just finished Hell House LLC and it was a lot of fun. It game my girlfriend a panic attack so I think you could call it successfully scary.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I have not seen the sequel, but from what I hear from everyone who saw it, I made the right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Every single thing that Hell House, LLC does right Hell House, LLC 2 decides "Lets do the exact loving opposite and more!"

I'd almost say its worth watching just to marvel at how a filmmaker could flip so completely and miss the point of their first success, but its really, really bad and the original wasn't good enough to warrant some autopsy of what went wrong.