Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

Can't wait for Cthulhu to be played by a 29 year old skinny white guy with his shirt off.

I’d have no problem with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is there anything to be especially excited for this year in horror? Specifically coming to theatres?

The new Candyman written by Jordan Peele, I’m hoping that’ll be good

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

this needs to be increased in every movie

Little Women definitely could’ve used some more head explosions

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Someone should edit Color Out of Space to replace the vision of the alien world with the ending of Occult, bam, perfect film

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Cool, I’ll check it out. Are we talking about the 2009 j-horror film?

Heck yeah, then watch Noroi: the Curse by the same guy, both rule

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Hollismason posted:

I'm tired of The Most Dangerous.Game adaptations

They peaked with 1982’s Turkey Shoot, imo

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

dorium posted:

NoES2 is the horniest.

Getting towel-snapped to death is probably the horniest kill I’ve seen in any movie

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
On the topic of slashers, are any of the Sleepaway Camp sequels worth watching?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
If anyone in this thread hasn’t yet seen the Never Sleep Again documentary, it’s like 4 hours and a really good overview of the entire series. I think it’s still on Shudder.

I’m other news, I’m going to a showing of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari tonight with live accompaniment and I’m pumped.

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 21, 2020

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
My copy of Tammy and the T-Rex came yesterday and man, except for the homophobia, what a gloriously weird, stupid movie

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
The uncensored version of the motorcycle kill in NoES 5 rules, it’s some real Tetsuo poo poo

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Is the most recent Moorhead and Benson movie ever coming out? I think it screened at festivals like two years ago and never heard anything about it since.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Friends Are Evil posted:

The Endless, or another one?

No, they made a movie with Jamie Dornan and Anthony Mackie, Synchronic. I hope someone picks it up for distribution

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Awesome! I’ve loved all their stuff so far, so I’ll be glad when this finally hits theaters

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

OpenSourceBurger posted:

What's a great scene in an otherwise awful horror film?

I said it before, but Poughkeepsie Tapes is generally loving awful but the scene where the killer is hiding in the couple's home while they change is one of the best constructed and suspenseful horror scenes I've seen in a long time.

Most of Evilspeak boring and bad, but the ending is loving awesome. Clint Howard summoning Satan with a computer and decapitating people with a broadsword makes the entire thing worth it.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
I watched The Stepfather last night. It was alright, I thought Terry O’Quinn was really good in it.

That’s my review, thanks for reading

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Has anyone seen Glenn Danzig’s Verotika yet? I’ve heard that it’s awful, but I want to know if it’s in “so bad it’s good” territory or if it’s “just plain bad”

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Davros1 posted:

Blumhouse doing Dracula, with Jennifer's Body director Karyn Kusama

https://news.avclub.com/destroyers-...tm_content=Main

Hell yeah, I’m very into this

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

Been trying to think of a movie that touched my heart in an interesting way for the past 24 hours and I guess I'm just a hollow sociopath because I can't think of a goddamn thing.

Both Pulse and Noriko’s Dinner Table hit me real hard

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Sarchasm posted:

Any good Japanese ghost story recommendations? Looking for something grim and self-serious like Noroi or Pulse. Bonus points if it was released within the past few years, but don't let that stop you from recommending some hidden gem.

Although they’re not Japanese, I’d recommend checking out Shutter (the Thai version, not the American remake), as well as the Korean Whispering Corridors series.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
So last night I watched Glenn Danzig’s Verotika. Much like The Room, it’s got the right mix of earnest effort and incompetence that makes it a lot of fun to watch. Unfortunately, this is also a very male-gazey movie, and the third segment is mostly just boring. Despite that though, grab some friends (if they’re not quarantined), have a couple of drinks, and you’ll have a good time.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
My It’s Alive boxset came today! I’m gonna have a Larry Cohen-filled weekend in isolation

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

The Senator Giroux posted:

Ill second House of Leaves. I read it in high school, thought it was fine, then read it last year (which was...15 years later? Jesus) And loved it.

Not really a horror novel, but Pattern Recognition might fit in those boxes. It’s also insanely prescient with viral videos and stuff, especially for a book that came out in 2002.

And there’s also the Ring series.

I’ve been meaning to read the Ring series for a while now, but from reading about them on Wikipedia it sounds like the sequels get absolutely buck wild

The film of Spiral is certainly interesting, but not all all like the original

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Coffee And Pie posted:

You, sir, are an insane person.

Forget it, Jake, it’s SMG-town.

In other news, Arrow is releasing a collection of 10 Shinya Tsukamoto films later this month. Solid Metal Nightmares includes:

quote:

Tetsuo: The Iron Man
Tetsuo II: Body Hammer
Tokyo Fist
Bullet Ballet
A Snake of June
Vital
Kotoko
Killing
The Adventure of Denchu-Kozo
Haze

As well as a bunch of extra material. I’m stoked.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

woah this is an insta buy for me can i preorder :o

You sure can! A bit bummed that the third Tetsuo movie isn’t included but still an absolute must-have.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Lately I’ve gotten interested in jiangshi movies. So far I’ve watched Mr. Vampire and Spooky Encounters, what others are worth watching?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

COOL CORN posted:

Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires

A Hammer/Shaw Brothers coproduction? I’m so here for it

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Article in The Daily Beast today about Cinestate, which produced Bone Tomahawk and VFW, working with Adam Donaghey, known in the Texas film scene as “the Harvey Weinstein of Dallas.” Donaghey was publicly accused of raping a minor earlier this year, but stories of him sexually harassing women have circulated for years prior to his partnership with Cinestate.

The article also details harassment and poor treatment of crew members on several of Cinestate’s productions, including VFW, where Fred Williamson sexually harassed multiple women. Crew members on Satanic Panic were forced to work 18-hour days with no overtime, and an actress was pressured into filming a sex scene with a fan when an actor didn’t show up to set.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

FWIW that seems to pretty much just be Zahler. Joe Begos doesn't seem to be a chud as far as I'm aware (though yikes, that Williamson stuff reflects badly on him, I hope he says something and it doesn't suck), and while I don't actually know who directed Satanic Panic, it didn't come off as right-wing to me in any sense.

Ehhh I think Cinestate as a company is pretty CHUDdy, the guy who started it has talked about them making “populist,” Trumper-friendly movies, and it even bills itself as “separated geographically and ideologically from the coasts”

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

im 2 episodes in to the new Ju On on Netflix and it's really well done. Can't wait to see where it goes. Genuinely creepy as gently caress.

This is the first I’m hearing of this, hot drat

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
This is something someone thought the world needed
https://twitter.com/julianfeeld/status/1283905678394834944?s=21

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Sono posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/HelloAndrew/status/1283913959393898501

They've clarified, because they're getting roasted. That says it's satire, and there are some Twitter posts calling it a comedy, but it's completely their fault that the trailer doesn't convey that at all.

Yeah I meant despite the intent it will ultimately depend on the execution

idk if I want to see violent, conspiratorial racists I can just watch the news

Though it is funny that already Qanon people are posting comments that the trailer is making them look bad

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 17, 2020

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m writing an “investigative horror” movie so I’m watching the original Ringu for inspiration. What are some other good movies of that type? It Follows maybe?

Cure

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Purr purr, I'm the Horror Cat Gimmick, so I vote that Friday The Thirteenth 9 isn't a meow and a scratch. Hiss hiss! That's the one where Jason is a worm. Mwerrrow (angry cat sound)! Cat emoji. :cats: :cat: :paw: But it's Evil Dead canon, so it's a Guaranteed Jackin' Off In Public Movie! Meoroww!!!

Finally, a good SMG post

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

married but discreet posted:

I can't join, I am hanging out with Lost Highway date again. We got edibles. What's a good spookadoodle/spookadoodle adjacent movie to watch with edibles?

House (1977)

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

I mean you're not wrong, but creepypasta has the horrible disadvantage of being permanently written down and often signed, which means it doesn't get iterated upon or the really crappy ones filtered out through the passage of time like folk horror. And also most of it is written by tweens which has its own issues.

You definitely don’t want to go down the road if horny creepypasta fanfic, either. Not unless you want to read about Slenderman getting knocked up by Jeff the Killer, anyway.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

flashy_mcflash posted:

Happy birthday Takeshi Miike!

One time I ate too many edibles and watched The Happiness of the Katakuris. Recommended.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

Are there any good horrors where the big bad turns out to be something stupidly mundane, like a spooky old tree or bad wiring?

In the words of Cosmo Kramer, The Omen is just about a mischievous little kid

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
I’m only at 23% on TSZDT :( I still have a lot of catching up to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Is The Ice Cream Man worth watching? How does it compare to Clint Howard’s other performances?