Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just finished Dracula Prince of Darkness. God I love Hammer horror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm ten minutes away from the end of VHS Viral and it can't loving come soon enough, what a piece of garbage

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
All three movies have little nuggets of good ideas ineptly implemented.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

elaborate

Simplifying a bit but

The first short is about lovely rapey guys who end up getting murdered by a powerful she-monster
The second short is about a guy who's really lovely and not trusting toward his wife and then she has him murdered and escapes
The camping one there's something there but I can't place it
The next one is a lovely guy manipulating women and stealing their alien babies
And then the last one the guys assume the woman can't be a demon and save her but then she is

The whole overarching narratives recovers around men being lovely manipulative sex crazed idiots and women being powerful and luring them into their deaths (aside from one)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The empty dance room scene is worth the price I paid to watch it (free)

The final scene would have been so good if not for the lovely low frame rate to hide the bad VFX

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Joe Bob greenlit for a season 2 :toot:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The Perfection is an interesting beast, and I'm still not sure what I think of it. I've been sitting on it for like 2 days. On the one hand, it's a fun ride and really tense - but, I don't think it would hold up to multiple viewings after the gimmicks and twists are known. It's a shame because it was such a cool premise and I DID enjoy it... Hm.

What other movies are like that? Where you liked it but were still disappointed?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah, Midsommar and The LLighthouse are the two movies I'm most hype about this year.

edit-- I just saw a reviewer use the term "A24rror" to describe their specific house style and now I love it

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 29, 2019

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Not only black and white, but filmed in 1.19:1 aspect ratio!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Hell yeah

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Man how did this Annabelle origin movie get 70% on rotten tomatoes this poo poo is garbage

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The Act Of Killing hands loving down.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Origami Dali posted:

Has there never been a horror movie featuring someone working the late shift at a gas station? Seems like a good setup for some When A Stranger Calls type scares.

Intro to Urban Legends but then you'd have to watch that poo poo movie

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I started listening to The Evolution of Horror podcast this morning, and I'm surprisingly impressed by how detailed and respectful of the genre it is. I was expecting your generic "here are the top 10 horror movies and why they're important" rehashing that we've seen a thousand times (*cough Eli Roth's history of horror on Shudder cough*) but they get pretty in depth with some relatively obscure stuff and the interview with Kim Newman is really great.

They actually made a pretty interesting point that the reason Carpenter's Halloween is so good is because we relate to and love Laurie so much, whereas Michael is just a non-person entity - more a plot point than anything else. And the reason Rob Zombie's Halloween fails so hard is because he loves Michael so much and doesn't give a poo poo about Laurie. I think that's a very good reading of the situation.

Anyway, I've only listened to the first episode, but I'm impressed and can recommend it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

That's certainly a legitimate opinion to have but I admit it annoys me when it's presented as this accepted fact that nobody could ever disagree with. As if it would be impossible for someone to enjoy Zombie's take on Michael just as much as Carpenter's.

Oh I didn't mean to present it as indisputable fact, and I don't think the podcast does either. I just think it's an interesting opinion I hadn't heard before, and one that resonates with me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

M_Sinistrari posted:

Trolling since there's no such film as Exorcist 2. Next you'll all be telling me there was a remake of the Wicker Man. That doesn't exist either.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
But The LLighthouse is absolutely gonna rule though

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

Black Tom ruled, I wish there were more sassy goats in movies

Black Phillip :argh:

gey muckle mowser posted:

I hate when filmmakers try to make films their audiences would enjoy

Same but unironically

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

LesterGroans posted:

Who the hell was giving you mixed reviews of The Terror? Easily one of my favourite shows of all-time.

Weirdly, that's why I didn't dig too much into it also. But now revisiting it, everyone's giving it glowing reviews so I'm finally gonna watch it through.

The first two episodes so far have been great.

edit-- Wait what the gently caress The Terror is an anthology series and season 2 takes place in a WW2 Japanese Internment camp?? gently caress that trailer looks great.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 21, 2019

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

I have to mostly(although I disagree with Kvit! on Re-Animator) disagree with you here because for me, the balance is everything. Go too far into comedy, and it's just a comedy. Maybe an excellent comedy(What We Do in the Shadows, Tucker and Dale), but still not horror. Maybe a better term for those would be horror-themed comedy.

There has to be enough horror to balance out the comedy or else I don't consider it a true horror/comedy.

Why would you consider Tucker and Dale to not be horror :psyduck: It's beat-for-beat storyboarded out like a generic slasher, it just had a lot of tongue in cheek joking with it.

edit-- Okay, well, I see what you're saying about horror-themed comedy now that I think about it. I don't agree, but I see your point.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Slasher is a pretty fun show. I'm mostly done with season one, but it's not a bad way to kill a day.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I have a hot take and that is that Wes Craven's New Nightmare is a better meta-horror than Scream

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

M_Sinistrari posted:

On Youtube, there's The 80's Slasher Librarian who does readings of the various books. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuURU23bMiyKVgZkc8tWOHw

oh gently caress yeah

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Just finished watching Whistle and I'll Come to You, as recommended by the Evolution of Horror podcast (I'm listening through the arc on ghost stories right now). Really interesting short film that I'd never heard of before, and I'd recommend everyone check it out.

It's a slow burn, but the payoff is delightful and, tonally, different than anything I've ever seen. The ending really stuck with me. No jump scares, no creepy ghost makeup, just scenes dripping with tension with a wonderful sound design and Michael Hordern's amazing performance. I don't want to say too much about it, but it's only 40 minutes, so watch it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYjtxHHjZ00

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

amenbrotep posted:

Watch A Warning to the Curious asap if you’ve not seen it already, tbh that entire run of BBC productions is worth seeing.

e. also check out The Stone Tapes, and I will take a bullet before I stop shilling for The Pledge

The second half of this episode I'm listening to goes into The Stone Tapes! That's next on my list, and A Warning to the Curious popped up on Youtube also so I'll check that out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

Blood on Satan's Claw (1971, d.p. Dick Bush)

Partial credit but the correct answer is:

A Triple Feature of Witchfinder General, Blood on Satan's Claw, and The Wicker Man (1968-1975, various people but I just want to type "Dick Bush" again)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

amenbrotep posted:

This is also a great watch list to whomever was asking about follow ups in re MR James btw

Haha that was me. I started watching The Stone Tape but after half an hour I just couldn't do it. I think it's a mix of the acting, production, and script, just... didn't grab me. Maybe I'll give it another try sometime, but I'm way more into folk horror than ghosty horror. At least Whistle and I'll Come to You had that "nature in Britain" feel with the seaside that was kind of folk-adjacent.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

The Stone Tape is definitely more of a slow build to a very very interesting finale but I can see how it's not for everybody.

Quatermass and the Pit, on the other hand, is for everybody. I can't imagine someone not loving Quatermass and the Pit.

I watched and enjoyed The Quatermass Xperiment during my Hammer binge, so I'm sure I'll check out the sequel eventually.

edit-- also I typed "Quartermass" for like 6 months before I caught the typo.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I just finished watching The Terror last night and, aside from wishing it were twice the length because I loved every moment, I really want more atmospheric period horror.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm hoping this is basically what The Lighthouse is.

That's EXACTLY what I hope The Lighthouse is.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Midsommar was loving amazing, gently caress I'm gonna need a week or two to process that

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tart Kitty posted:

everybody knows the most non-poser movie is Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer, nerd.

Yeah

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

FancyMike posted:

Good take right here

Wrong, nothing can be better than best.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Holy poo poo I never realized how much Reanimator's theme ripped off Psycho's theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMTrVgpDwPk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlU1LRR2-Es

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
How has pagan horror been beaten to death? There have been like 4 films in 3 years, it's nothing compared to the slasher saturation of the 80s

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Maybe these chuds are on to something

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah Henry is one of my favorite horror movies but it's deffo not "extreme" in the same way a splatter slasher would be. But the way it portrays Henry's story is so frank and disturbing that it makes me feel gross.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I mean, that's the whole reason Texas Chain Saw Massacre is so iconic, it has barely any blood shown but it's just DIRTY

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

True nobody can do GRIME like my boy Tobe Hooper

Giving you a real serious fist bump right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I only watched Let The Corpses tan, but hoo boy are Cattet and Forzani horny for creaking leather