Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

What the gently caress happened to intermissions?

It's inhumane to expect a paying customer to hold their bladder for >2.5 hours while they digest culture, soda, snacks and the overall American cinema experience.

Yeah intermissions would be nice for a lot of films. Most of my local theaters serve beer which makes sitting through the entire film without using the restroom next to impossible for me. I usually will just get up because I feel like I'm missing more being distracted by holding my bladder than just hauling rear end to the restroom and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I've only seen 41% of the films on this list so I have some homework to do, but for me The VVitch would be at the top.

I just watched As Above, So Below for the first time the other day and thought it was just okay. I love occult poo poo so I thought it would totally be my thing, but it just never really felt scary to me.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

So I think I'm into Jean Rollin's films.

It's been awhile since I watched Fascination but I remember enjoying it. Last night I checked out The Nude Vampire and liked it a lot. Both films have an eerie dreamlike quality that I really enjoy.

What should I watch next?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

gey muckle mowser posted:

The Living Dead Girl is my favorite. I also liked Shiver of the Vampires and Requiem for a Vampire a lot.

PinkoBastard posted:

Lips of Blood, The Iron Rose (not a vampire movie) and Requiem for a Vampire are essential, imo

Awesome, thanks! This should keep me busy for awhile.

Going to start with Requiem since you both list it.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

With the October challenge approaching I was wondering if thread could give me a list of some essential Hammer Horror films.

If it makes a difference to what you suggest, I'm also planning on working through as much of the Universal Classic Monsters boxset as I can for the challenge.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Thanks for the Hammer suggestions, I should be all set for the October Challenge now.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

this is loving idiotic, it's basically begging people to pirate it

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Last night I watched Grizzly, and while overall I think they failed with "jaws on land" does anyone have any recommendations that fit the premise?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Neo Rasa posted:

Prophecy (1979) for sure

Thank you!

I feel really dumb for not seeing Tremors as a Jaws inspired film. :doh:

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I've never seen people watching a good film in the film I'm currently watching and thought anything more than "these characters have good taste in film" and instantly stopped thinking about it.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

anyone know when is Psycho Goreman coming to Shudder? I might rent it this weekend but if it'll be on Shudder in a couple weeks or something I can wait

I'd like to know this as well. I watched my rental twice and really want to watch it again.

Psycho Goreman is good.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Kvlt! posted:

That one was so bad its shameful. How do you have a Godzilla movie where hes only in it for 5 minutes.

And this is coming from someone who liked King of the Monsters a lot.

Are you talking about Godzilla vs Hedorah? IIRC Godzilla is on screen more in that movie than most, if not all, of the other Showa era Godzilla films.

Movie kicks rear end btw, easily one of my favorite Godzilla films.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I'm looking to watch something that gives a similar feeling of helplessness as The Vanishing (88). The only thing I could think of is Funny Games -- anyone have some other recommendations?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

The trailer I watched definitely gives off the vibe I'm looking for, but now I'm wondering if I should have just taken your word and skipped the trailer.

Hmm, I remember watching this during a scream stream and maybe the impact was ruined (enhanced? augmented?) by that viewing experience.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Kvlt! posted:

I mean if youre assuming all the athletes are good people but a lot of athletes arent and use that money for bad or to defend themselves in court from heinous actions. The money isnt flowing from bad guy to good guy.

i dont thinnk they were assuming that at all. the key point they were making was 'does the labor.'

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Eh, I think it's completely at your discretion in cases like these.

Frankly I think there's so much consideration for spoilers that I suspect I'm probably missing out on some good movies because the interesting stuff that would get me to watch is considered a spoiler. Like if I had any idea the original ghostbusters were in Ghostbusters Afterlife (at least that's what I heard months afterward) I might've tried seeing it in theaters, and I'll probably still get around to it eventually, but it feels like a moment I missed out on.

I also have NO idea what this "Barbarian" movie is about that there are dozens of posts on which are all pretty much entirely blanked out in spoilers aside from it apparently not being a "Conan the Barbarian" type movie. I mean it is for sure on me that I haven't gone and watched a trailer or anything, but I dunno, just the title by itself hasn't enticed me enough to work up the :effort:

just fyi you can click the black bars to read the spoilers, it doesnt make you take a test to confirm you've seen/read/played/listened to whatever is being spoiled

imo while having something 'spoiled' isn't the end of the world it's so easy to add spoiler tags that I'd rather just type the tags than potentially lessen someones first experience with a piece of media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Speaking of GDT, if you're a fan and haven't checked out his Pinocchio yet I highly recommend it. I wouldn't call it horror but tonally it's like a more kid-friendly Pan's Labyrinth and some of the creature designs are creepy as hell. There are spirits covered in eyes like biblically-accurate angels and Pinocchio repeatedly dies and goes to a creepy afterlife

GDT's Pinocchio was really cool. Definitely some creepy moments.

here is a horror parody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsrOV1Hw2nU