Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
First off, apologies if this is a repeat.

Long story short - my grandfather and his company were involved in the Apollo missions, starlight, Doppler radar for Vietnam communications, and developing arrestor cables for planes landing on carriers.

I know there is more to what he did that I know. I know a lot has been classified.

I’m looking for help in the best way to request info. I sent a general NASA one and was told it was too vague.

I’m at a loss as to how to get details to know exactly what happened.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

yippeekiyaymf posted:

First off, apologies if this is a repeat.

Long story short - my grandfather and his company were involved in the Apollo missions, starlight, Doppler radar for Vietnam communications, and developing arrestor cables for planes landing on carriers.

I know there is more to what he did that I know. I know a lot has been classified.

I’m looking for help in the best way to request info. I sent a general NASA one and was told it was too vague.

I’m at a loss as to how to get details to know exactly what happened.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

He helped fake the moon landing hth

Honestly foia can be tricky. I would suggest limiting your application to things that are mostly unclassified.

They arent going to give you a lot with a help me make a bullet chart of what my granddad did for the government

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 13, 2018

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Can you explain what exactly you're looking for? For example, "any unclassified documents about Sgt. Jimbo's performance for the Secret Moon Base project".

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Let me help you narrow the issue.

Through FOIA you can request documents and/or records that actually exist and are not classified or privileged in some way.

Hence, you have to be able to identify the documents and or records that you are requesting to the extent that they can be discerned. You can't just go in and say "give me all of the information you have on my grandfather." You have to request specific kinds of records or documents.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
You also need to pick the right agency. You are asking for old stuff. You should go to NARA at https://www.archives.gov. It's a good bet that any document older than 10 years or so was shipped there for storage. They've got a lot of instructions on researching.

Try to find out if your grandfather's company included developer names on patents. You might be able to find his name in patent searches. Otherwise, see what patents his company filed for in that time frame.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

"Hi i am american i am here for informstion on arrestor cables for planes in carriers"

Let me tell you that you may get an in person interview for your FOIA request by HOSO if you ask to see anything on carrier research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
Tons of Apollo stuff can be found at the libraries of research universities (esp land grant) so that could be a place to start looking to get specifics that might help you request specific documents.