Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Those are some good albums OP.

I really think Red by King Crimson is a pretty perfect album by my estimation. It's got a song about a dude freaking out on an airplane which is always great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Rubellavator posted:

Deep Purple In Rock.

Good rear end album but the opening lyrics to Bloodsucker are incredibly loving stupid now.

"Gotta black breast Chinese eyes
Got an English brain that's gonna make me wise"

Lol.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Has anyone posted Dave Matthew's
Cause lol if someone did I want to see it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

raton posted:

I look almost exactly like Dave Matthews

How do you feel about that.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

raton posted:

I don't care

I do though raton.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I just bought a pair of $1,000 headphones (yes I agree I am a moron) so I've been slamming back some of my favorite albums with great new appreciation.

Head Hunters, Herbie Hancock - This is the album that got me into jazz fusion way back in the day when the only reason I did anything related to jazz was my parents forcing me to learn classical guitar, so I basically hated it like all kids hate things their parents make them do. Hanging out with a whole bunch of pretentious teenaged music dweebs as a result of my guitar lessons exposed me to a lot of great music though, and this album finally converted me.
It's funky as poo poo, has incredible instrumentation, and basically just flawlessly segues from apeshit to chill to apeshit to chill without feeling jarring at any point. This is an album I can play to people who normally read jazz as random noisy bullshit and they can immediately get into the vibe. It's accessible while still being super complex, and rather than a procession of droning jazz affectations, its more esoteric musical asides just come off as manic and heated to non-jazz listeners, that indispensable pop-off quality we all love. This is that type of poo poo you can hear playing on the speakers at some depressing rear end Walmart with bleak florescent lighting and you'd still be bobbing your head, grooving.
No matter what mood I'm in, it always makes it better. gently caress to this album and you'll be loving like a nutcase I swear it.

Thick as a Brick, Jethro Tull - This excessive album can be kind of polarizing, but the story behind it is somewhat ironic. Ian Anderson was somewhat bemused by critics referring to their other bomb-rear end album Aqualung as a concept album, and in response set out to create a bloated, excessive piece of prog-rock buffoonery. This is just one long rear end song split into two parts, with lyrics designed to parody the airy, vague and hammy evocative lyrics so many other groups like Yes, King Crimson and Genesis would splatter all over their poo poo.
All done in lighthearted jest, but then the result is this sick rear end massive suite that just veers from one ridiculous place to another. What I really love about this album is that they went so far to even create a wild rear end soundstage, listening to Thick as a Brick with decent speakers or some good open ear headphones is absolutely wild. It's a trite cliche but there's some bomb three dimensionality throughout the whole album, Anderson's flute will be tooting from one direction here, then another over there, the bass will slap down below, and suddenly pop back up right in your face. It's super theatric and a lot of fun.
Even the lyrics are actually kind of sweet with lots of great imagery.

Also the gatefold the vinyl comes in made to look like a newspaper you can unfold and read, it's some seriously awesome packaging.

Angel Dust, Faith No More - FNM's peak in my opinion, and stands massively above the rest of their discography, they managed to find a cohesive sound here without being as tonally tedious as The Real Thing or as disconnected and all over the place as their later, genre defying albums. Everything here is 90s as gently caress and super sludgy. The basslines are fatter than my mother's rear end and the guitars are some gnarly buzzsaw poo poo. The actual arrangements aren't wildly complicated but everything is so streamlined, designed to hit hard with a ton of volume, but not so dense or overproduced that it just turns into a slurry of sound like some poo poo black metal band or something, this album is straight up mathematics - well produced, super calculated and punchy.
RV is just a funny as poo poo song and really entertaining to sing, and that's really a huge part of what makes this album great. Mike Patton's vocals matured quite a bit from The Real Thing and are way less whiny while being a lot more controlled and entertaining. He goes from throaty rear end growls to more expressive, melodic styles, EVERY song on this album is tons of fun to sing and the general aesthetic just flows super well together.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bodyholes posted:

I'm very pleased to see Hum mentioned, and that is a great album, but that's not even my favorite album from them.

Failure, Shiner, and Hum were the "space rock trio" of the 90s and are all near and dear to my heart. I would strongly recommend the other two bands to anyone that knows of one of them. I'd also recommend Quicksand, Shellac, and Polvo, even though they're pretty different, because anyone that listens to any of the above bands is a cool person who likes good things, and those are also cool and good things.

Anyway my nominations...

"Red" by King Crimson - best prog. I could cointoss this or Discipline really but I've been feeling Red lately.
...honorable mention: Signify by Porcupine Tree
"Remain in Light" by Talking Heads - best new wave, and gently caress anyone that says they were only good live because there isn't a weak song here. Brian Eno and Adrian Belew's efforts elevated this beyond their other albums. Prove me wrong.
...honorable mention: Danseparc by Martha and the Muffins
"Aja" by Steely Dan - best jazz fusion. I love their first and fourth albums as well. ...honorable mention: Chameleon by Herbie Hancock
"Fantastic Planet" by Failure - best grunge. I think Failure's first three albums are all exceptional, and this edges the other two out just for its sheer length. ...honorable mention: Siamese Dream by Smashing Pumpkins
"Departure Songs" by We Lost the Sea - best post-rock, ...honorable mention: Millions Now Living Will Never Die by Tortoise
"Black Sands" by Bonobo - best dub, ...honorable mention: Endtroducing by DJ Shadow
"Seminar III:Zozobra" by Old Man Gloom - best doom metal, and I am gonna go out on a limb and nominate this for best album of ANY genre, honorable mention: The Deal by Sumac
"Lula Divinia" by Shiner - best post-hardcore, ...honorable mention: Exploded Drawing by Polvo

Other types of metal I feel unqualified to weigh in on. There's a lot of stuff I like but nothing else I know of that's perfect. Same for Jazz. I quite like Miles Davis and John Coltrane but I need to explore the genre more before I could say. IDM - I love Venetian Snares and Boards of Canada but yeah... none of their albums are perfect sadly. If someone knows other things in those genres by all means. The only country I can tolerate is Beck. Never heard Punk or Ska that I liked.

Some examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSfyRDwQQg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POiW8n_kse4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__9LTvjZvD0&t=198s

With King Crimson it's a toss up between Red and Larks' Tongues but Red always wins out because One More Red Nightmare is both sick as hell and incredibly hilarious to me. The song is so spastic and the vocals so frantic so the image of some dude losing his everloving poo poo on an airplane is super vivid.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bodyholes posted:

Funny thing about King Crimson, for many years I thought Islands was their "bad" one but I have recently discovered I may like that the third most. Have you heard Scarcity of Miracles yet? I'm just listening to it now and it seems pretty good actually.

What headphones did you get? I went on a collecting binge as well after getting a pair of HEXv2s.

LCD-X, they're unbelievable.

I'm meh on Islands but the title track alone makes it worthwhile, when I saw them live in August of last year they performed an arrangement of it and it was stunningly beautiful in person, both me and my dad teared up and we're classical emotionless stoic hardasses. Such a melancholy song.

If you haven't seen them live yet you should absolutely go, without a doubt in my top two of concerts I've been to (the other being Herbie Hancock the very next month), they had three drummers and it was wild, and nah Scarcity of Miracles is still on my backlog, should toss it in now that I've got sick rear end headphones.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bodyholes posted:

I had a chance to see Adrian Belew live but I haven't seen the full KC. That's tough to arrange, where I live. Missed my best chance years ago...

I have similar feelings about Larks I guess. The first song is excellent and carries the album for me. The rest I never find myself going back to anymore. Used to like it a lot more. I could imagine Herbie Hancock is great live, considering how good Flood is. Apparently he'll be here in February so I'll definitely check that out.

Go, you won't be disappointed, dude has the greatest attitude and the energy was fantastic.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Julius CSAR posted:

lol, jesus christ.

Here have some more takes as hot as the loving sun

I more or less agree with all of these tho, lol. so feel free to savage me.

Also, a long way back some said Jethro Tull - Aqualung. Cool, a song that can't ever make up it's mind which time signature, key, or even loving genre of music it's supposed to be in, with lyrics about a creepy homeless dude on a park bench jerking off to kids. Great poo poo man.

Peter Gabriel made a song about a dude who breaks into women's houses and smells their underwear as they sleep. Lol if you can't take music that is deliberately trying to portray weirdos.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Julius CSAR posted:

wait, what? lol how did I not know this?

:chloe:

https://youtu.be/xvAmj3k3Imc

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

T Bowl posted:

American Beauty is universally regarded as a classic record of the golden area of rock.

Sure you don't like them but you sound really dismissive there in a very uninformed way.

A lot of people who say this type of poo poo don't even bother listening to most of the albums or artists completely.

Like people referring to Queen as dad rock despite their first two albums being some of the gayest poo poo ever committed to vinyl. And it rules.
I dunno how a bunch of dudes making hard rock songs about fairies and poo poo is considered dad rock considering it violates the "No gay stuff" rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bjork's Homogenic is pretty loving perfect imo.