Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Grape posted:

Say I'm gambling here, do I put money down on "guy is a huge country bumpkin" or "guy is one of those sad people who teaches bass guitar to nine year olds as a day job and knows a thing or two about music!".
I'm also still lolling at your assertion that in 2000 you were excited for electronics as the future, some 20 years after the genre started becoming a major thing.

Also there is an unspoken hatred for hip-hop in this that you are being sheepish about putting out there. For further lolling purposes though I must point it out.

I already talked about hip hop in this thread mr detective

You might be curious to find out that some of my opinions on classical music developed about 20 years ago as well, since I am not 500 years old and was also not around for the very earliest days of that genre

Maybe quit being a rude aggro cock in the gbs music thread though, that would be my suggestion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

If you somehow missed it, Poe's Haunted album is amazing well put together. It's so complete, there's a companion book written by her brother that's a trip and a half.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Truckin' is the one bad song on American Beauty by Grateful Dead. sorry just spitballin here to get the thread back on track

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Julius CSAR posted:

wait, what? lol how did I not know this?

:chloe:

https://youtu.be/xvAmj3k3Imc

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

let it mellow posted:

whoever that rear end in a top hat is that poo poo on led zeppelin needs a loving swirly

lol. I love Led Zeppelin. I listen to them all the time. But if you don't think any of that poo poo is true then I don't know what to say.

One of the funniest music things I ever experienced was when Wolfmother (are they even a thing outside Australia?) got popular. People would try to make it sound like they were a terribly discerning music fan by dismissing them as nothing but a Led Zeppelin rip off.

I mean, gently caress yeah they were derivative as poo poo but it's like saying Last Man Standing is worthless because it's a rip off of A Fist Full of Dollars (it is, but that's not why).

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

jesus loving christ Pete

Bill Posters posted:

lol. I love Led Zeppelin. I listen to them all the time. But if you don't think any of that poo poo is true then I don't know what to say.

One of the funniest music things I ever experienced was when Wolfmother (are they even a thing outside Australia?) got popular. People would try to make it sound like they were a terribly discerning music fan by dismissing them as nothing but a Led Zeppelin rip off.

I mean, gently caress yeah they were derivative as poo poo but it's like saying Last Man Standing is worthless because it's a rip off of A Fist Full of Dollars (it is, but that's not why).

Well yeah, A Fistful of Dollars is a rip-off Yojimbo while Last Man Standing is actually an official remake of Yojimbo.

Speaking of Wolfmother, have a video of Mike Patton calling them out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKDvJTxZDbA

mycophobia posted:

Truckin' is the one bad song on American Beauty by Grateful Dead. sorry just spitballin here to get the thread back on track

Dude, EVERY song by the Grateful Dead is trash.

Like, the only good thing you could possibly say about the Grateful Dead is "Well, at least you're not listening to Phish!" I mean, never mind the fact you're talking about a studio album by band who they themselves said that their studio albums are trash.

Here's a good question... who has the worse fans? The Grateful Dead, or TOOL?

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 17, 2018

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
a better question would be, "what is a perfect album"? because it has something to do wit hthe thread

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

mycophobia posted:

a better question would be, "what is a perfect album"? because it has something to do wit hthe thread

Well it sure ain't American Beauty by The Greatful Dead, that's for drat sure.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
What would you consider a perfect album?

e: nvm you already posted some, my bad

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
American Beauty is universally regarded as a classic record of the golden area of rock.

Sure you don't like them but you sound really dismissive there in a very uninformed way.

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 17, 2018

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

There are at least like 10 or 15 perfect albums, and at least 3 of them are by A Tribe Called Quest

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

T Bowl posted:

American Beauty is universally regarded as a classic record of the golden area of rock.

Sure you don't like them but you sound really dismissive there in a very uninformed way.

A lot of people who say this type of poo poo don't even bother listening to most of the albums or artists completely.

Like people referring to Queen as dad rock despite their first two albums being some of the gayest poo poo ever committed to vinyl. And it rules.
I dunno how a bunch of dudes making hard rock songs about fairies and poo poo is considered dad rock considering it violates the "No gay stuff" rule.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Dogballs posted:

There are at least like 10 or 15 perfect albums, and at least 3 of them are by A Tribe Called Quest

Low End Theory is the only hip hop album I paid money for and I gave it away three months after I got it

It was okay though

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Jawbreaker - 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

Jawbreaker - Unfun

and this next one will deff shock you to your core

Jawbreaker - Dear You

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Texas Is The Reason - Do You Know Who You Are?

The Get Up Kids - Something To Write Home About

Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Grateful Dead actually had good songs unlike Phish.

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 17, 2018

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
All of you idiots forgot Can I Borrow a Feeling by Kirk Van Houten. Buffoons.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

raton posted:

I don't know if I heard that one, I have some of the older ones where they revolutionized the idea of "let's do in 52 bars what other similar musicians do in 6" but they were okay and the music video to around the world was on Beavis and Butthead

I forget where I read it but I've seen daft punk described as the best 30 seconds of music you'll listen to six times. Random Access Memories is good but I find myself going back to Alive 2007 when I feel the need for Daft Punk. Neither meet your definition of perfect though.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Gobblecoque posted:

It's Steely Dan's Aja, op

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Julius CSAR posted:

Jawbreaker - 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

Jawbreaker - Unfun

and this next one will deff shock you to your core

Jawbreaker - Dear You

Unnngh Rose McGowan :awesome:

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

Ever since I discovered them, I've been a huge fan of the Sparks, a band consisting of two brothers and some ever-changing other people founded in 1969 and still going strong. Went to a concert last year and for being over 70 years, they can still loving own a crowd, it's great entertainment and they're obviously having an insane amount of fun just doing their thing.

However, the perfect album I want to present is not only from them, but from a cooperation they did in 2015 with Franz Ferdinand, called simply "FFS". A young and an old band just deciding "hey let's do a thing together" and it works amazingly. Still listen to it constantly, it's always great from start to finish, and spans the entire spectrum from silly to melancholy to really silly to intricate and satisfying and back to silly again (I like silly).

Here's the full playlist. The first track, Johnny Delusional, will tell you if you like it. It's about a clueless guy not understanding how to talk the the ~females~ and therefore super timely. My favorite for silly is probably So Desu Ne.

This loving rocks. Thank you.

____

Maybe not perfect, but Immortal Technique - Revolutionary volume 2 is getting heavy rotation in my playlist

Darse
Jan 14, 2008
Wake up young man.
Its Cowboys from Hell

Rumours is pretty perfect also, its no Cowboys from Hell but its close.

Darse fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 17, 2018

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

kumba posted:

the perfect album is actually this, op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iv8LqzU0W8

lol. BTBAM jumped the shark with Colors, and have been poo poo ever since. self-titled, silent circus and alaska are SO much better than Colors IMO

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

b-minus1 posted:

lol. BTBAM jumped the shark with Colors, and have been poo poo ever since. self-titled, silent circus and alaska are SO much better than Colors IMO

I genuinely enjoy all of their material but Colors and Coma Ecliptic are god tier

Alaska is #3 though

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
Probably the best, complete recent album I've heard is Cobra Juicy by Black Moth Super Rainbow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg4OWfNZjh8

While not a perfect album (although still drat good), I've been listening to Forced Witness by Alex Cameron non stop for the past month or so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0kRgAEjJ9A

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
bitch have you never heard tha carter 1-5? goddang where have you been?

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Julius CSAR posted:

all of this pretty loving great, but I gotta have a hard pass on the Deftones. I'll just never be able to reconcile that loud rear end band with a singer who is somehow so boring as to put you to sleep.

Which is weird because I typically love Shoegaze, but to me Deftones have always been much more in the sludge metal category, and I've never liked sludge tbh

No idea how old you are, but this might be an age thing? I experienced the White Pony release cycle as an impressionable music-hungry high school student, and at the time, it really hit the spot. The album and its singles had a different, much-preferable kind of drama going on than any of its peers on the radio, dark and pretty/atmospheric rather than whiny post-grunge sad-sack bullshit (Creed, Staind, etc.) or standard angry and trashy nu-metal. It's definitely not a perfect album and it's pretty dated-sounding production-wise nowadays, but I still enjoy listening to it from time to time, and I don't think it's entirely due to nostalgia (thought I'm sure that's a big part).

limpy wimpy
Jul 1, 2007
Black Celebration
Music for the Masses
Violator

That's the correct answer.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

treasureplane posted:

No idea how old you are, but this might be an age thing? I experienced the White Pony release cycle as an impressionable music-hungry high school student, and at the time, it really hit the spot. The album and its singles had a different, much-preferable kind of drama going on than any of its peers on the radio, dark and pretty/atmospheric rather than whiny post-grunge sad-sack bullshit (Creed, Staind, etc.) or standard angry and trashy nu-metal. It's definitely not a perfect album and it's pretty dated-sounding production-wise nowadays, but I still enjoy listening to it from time to time, and I don't think it's entirely due to nostalgia (thought I'm sure that's a big part).

I was a freshman in high school when that album came out, so no it's definitely not an age thing.

I was into a lot of just normal old punk rock at the time, so I may have just have just not been in the right musical mind at the time to get into it, but even then with everything else I've listened to (epsc shoegaze, post-rock/hardcore kind of stuff) it's still just never piqued my interest. I will absolutely agree that they are way, WAY better musically, technically, just about everything, than their immediate peers (Creed, Staind, etc)

Even though they're very different groups, I often kind of lump them in with Mindless Self Indulgence since they were another band at that time that all my friends were into but I just didn't like. I remember people trying to get me into MSI by saying "Everyone in the band is bi-sexual, isn't that AWESOME?!" and I was just like, I mean good for them, but uh that has no bearing on whether or not that make good music, which they don't

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 17, 2018

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Get this poo poo right here: most people have widely different taste.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

T Bowl posted:

Get this poo poo right here: most people have widely different taste.

Dude if you came into thread about liking things, in GBS of all places, and expected anything other than holier than thou contrarian bullshit, you're deff in the wrong subforum.

I mean, if this thread was exclusively about ZZ-Top things might be different, but it's not.

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

Julius CSAR posted:

Dude if you came into thread about liking things, in GBS of all places, and expected anything other than holier than thou contrarian bullshit, you're deff in the wrong subforum.

I mean, if this thread was exclusively about ZZ-Top things might be different, but it's not.

Eliminator is a pretty good album.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

T Bowl posted:

Grateful Dead actually had good songs unlike Phish.

I think you’ll actually find that Phish was named the greatest American rock n roll band. 2nd place went to the E Street Band and 3rd place went to Tad.

Edit: 4th place was Bob Dylan’s backing band from 1988 to 1990 with GE Smith on lead guitar.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 17, 2018

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Jon Bonham both hit things very hard and found ways to make it sound like he hit them even harder and that owns.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Rollos posted:

Probably the best, complete recent album I've heard is Cobra Juicy by Black Moth Super Rainbow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg4OWfNZjh8

While not a perfect album (although still drat good), I've been listening to Forced Witness by Alex Cameron non stop for the past month or so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0kRgAEjJ9A

I clicked these and decided I may click them again later

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma0Fa9t6vh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuHQA1ZTCJ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SojYE7IQsi8

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I saw one of the shows for The Seer tour and Gira and crew wrapped it up with an unfinished version of Bring the Sun / Toussaint L'Ouverture from the next album that I liked, it involved Gira slashing at his neck with his thumb and going Aghk! frenchily between Egalite! Faraternite! etc

It was a good show he had this Tarzan monkey man on drums and introdued him as such, he demanded that Tarzan hit the drums as hard as he could in a trance like state and at one point Tarzan became fixated on it and Gira threw a towel at him to bust him out because he was trying to pull everybody along to the next part of the song and Tarzan was a-THUM-a-THUM-a-THUMmming along unstoppably, each Thum done by raising both arms as high as he could and bringing the sticks down from there

There was also a weird German on the lap steel

raton fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 18, 2018

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Rollos posted:

Black Moth Super Rainbow is loving awesome!

His Tobacco album “Maniac Meat” is really good too. And it was pretty funny when TMobile used Creepy Phone Calls in one of their commercials

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Darse posted:

Its Cowboys from Hell

Cowboys from Hell would be my choice if we're allowed to stop early. Cut out the last four tracks and you have something incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me (hard for me to admit as I like Farm best)
Meat Puppets - Up On The Sun. Awesome and timeless, even if everybody says II is their best.
GBV - haha who knows, but I will say I think there are at least 20 Robert Pollard albums better than Bee Thousand, so if you think that's good, dig in.
Blondie - Parallel Lines. I'm sure others have said that about this album, and it deserves it.