Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Best Spider-Man movie I have ever seen. It is just amazing to watch in motion and the story is just good.

It's like LEGO Batman in the sense that it's a better movie than the movies it's actually based on.

Homecoming was good, but to me, this was actually MUCH better. It's the only Spider-Man movie to finally top Spider-Man 2 as my favorite superhero movie of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Got a surprise album dropping today from the movie!

https://www.slashfilm.com/into-the-spider-verse-christmas-songs/

This will be interesting. And awesome...and probably a little scary.

EDIT: Listening to it now, track one is actually really good.

EDIT 2 : I was wrong, this album is loving awesome.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 21, 2018

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sEpm0vK2Po

I've played Familia pretty much every day after seeing the movie. I don't really care about Nicki Minaj's part, but the hook is really loving catchy.

Plus, it's the second song in the movie! :D

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And I'm pretty sure the incarnation of the character that's Miles' uncle is new. D-list villains get completely reinvented pretty often. And Spider-man has a LOT of D-list villains that nobody remembers until an adaptation or a really good run reinvents them in an interesting way. If they brought back Humbug most people would consider a version of the character anyone cared about to be new.

Miles' uncle has always been Aaron Davis and, when Ultimate Marvel was a thing, he was Prowler there.

Now, he's the Iron Spider in main continuity, but Aaron Davis as Prowler isn't new.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Saw it this afternoon with my family, enjoyed it. Could have done without the lone adult Spider-Woman being teased as the love interest, but it was fun.

Spider-Noir was my favorite of the Spiders despite how little time he had, I wish they'd done a bit more with the blatantly clashing art styles and each character bringing their own style and artistic rules with them.

They teased it because Miles and Gwen have had a relationship in the comics. They're probably setting it up for that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yellow Ant posted:

iTunes is showing that this will be available digitally Feb 26, and Amazon shows March 19th for discs. Didn’t expect it to be released so soon, but looking forward to watching it again.

Yeah, I thought I posted this but I forgot. :(

Digital will be like almost two months early.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ccs posted:

The sad thing is the studio Lasseter moved to has been flooded with applications since he joined and there’s even rumblings of high profile Pixar and Disney execs leaving to join him there.

Rumors have been claiming Disney execs have been leaving ever since the Star Wars fiasco. Also, they will probably have a repeat of that with Captain Marvel because of Brie Larson and the execs trying to spin it as a movie that it's not.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Same with the Star Wars/Marvel thing, a lot of the scuttlebutt is being perpetuated by angry fanboys who have a vested interest in showing that the people behind the scenes are just as mad as they are.

Sadly due to the lack of transparency and said conflict of interests there really isn't any good source for either beyond anecdotes and totally real "my uncle who works at Nintendo Disney told me..." stories.

I got my source from some lovely website my roommate linked me to. I'm suspect of it so I won't link it here as I think it's just some angry fanboy or altright or whatever trying to sabotage the movie because he hates Star Wars. I went back to reread the post and it's super lovely so, apologizes for spreading that garbage.

For what it's worth, I liked the new SW movies and Captain Marvel looks like it's going to be good. I'm just not happy with CM releasing so drat close to Endgame and possibly making people skip CM once Endgame drops over stupid fan bullshit which might make Disney/Marvel think the movie flopped and not make any more female-lead movies in fear of it flopping.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I do wish the MCU would stop undercutting dramatic scenes with a joke. Here they cut out Peter Porker's line about his electrocuted uncle smelling good and it gave us a far touching moment then you'd expect from a cartoon pig.

Wait, what scene was this supposed to be in?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Friend picked up the Target version of this and got the art book edition.

You're better off just buying the regular BluRay + DVD + Digital (or whatever) and getting the full art book. It's like just a preview and nothing new not shown in the art book anyway.

I know that's probably obvious but in case you were on the fence or anything.

Also, the Walmart exclusive figure is super awful and not worth the extra $5. The figures for this movie have been pretty terrible anyway...

I'd say skip all exclusives and just buy the non-exclusive versions of the movie and the full art book.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

What Ultimate Marvel issue is the Ultimate Spider-Ham and Miles thing from?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That seems to have been the main voice of liberalism in comics for a while now, yeah. See also that Kamala Khan voting comic with the perfidious totally-not-Bernie-Sanders trying to tell kids not to vote if they don't like the candidates.

Wait what? What issue was this?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I wonder if the PS4 game Spider-Man will be there this time. They'll probably have a new game out by then maybe?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, technically you could use any heroes that appeared first/primarily in Spider-Man books, so that's what, Black Cat, um...Cardiac, Wraith, The Smithville Thunderbolt(s) and Spindrifter?

I'm pretty sure that Spindrifter will never be in a movie, but I like reminding people Spider-Man: Hooky exists.

Also: I found a collection of stills someone got form the original teaser, which I posted overi nBSS and forgot to do so here. Fortunately there's an updated version with extra logos, for people to guess away at.

Consensus is that the one in the middle of the top row is representing the Emissary of Hell himself, Toei Spider-Man!

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/11/05/japanese-spider-man-confirmed-for-spider-verse-2

Looks like you're right! :D

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

The editor actually tried to defend it on Twitter - I can't find the post now but basically the defense was "well actually the reviewer is Black, therefore it's okay for them to talk about Black teenagers in embarrassingly pathological ways".

Had they just said "Miles is psyched to be a superhero" or w/e it would've been fine.

https://twitter.com/afillari/status/1324735543192645633

It's even saltier than that

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Timby posted:

As I recall, Spectacular got abruptly canceled as part of a deal Disney made with Sony: Disney regained the animation rights to Spider-Man in exchange for Sony getting the film rights free and clear.

Yah, this is it. Greg Weisman explained it as this on his blog. The only reason we got Amazing Spider-Man is because of Sony giving back the animation rights. We also got Morbius so there's that... But Venom too. And Madame Web coming.

Basically, it'll never come back because it means Disney would have to pay Sony as Sony owns the rights to it and Disney, according to Wiesman, are rivals with Sony and would never do that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7RvFZ6XtkI

This song is one of my favorites from the movie.

I love this movie more than the first, definitely. I want to see it again just to see the part this song shows up in.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The ongoing writers strike, voice actors saying they haven’t recorded much of anything yet, while this current film had them recording on and off for about four years.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't this supposed to be one movie but they split it into two? So maybe the lines for Beyond are finished or something.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I just realized something when Miles is sucker punched by Prowler and knocked out, his Spider Sense doesn't go off at all. It's clear he still has his powers if he's able to generate his bio-electricity...so why didn't his Spider Sense go off? Usually it goes off if he's in danger and I'm pretty sure a sucker punch is danger.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

goblin week posted:

Man I wish the fact that the movie is a part 1 of a two part thing had been mentioned at all inbetween all the praise for animation. Super disappointing.

sure was pretty though.

This movie was supposed to be one whole movie but they announced they split it up last year. People got lost in the hype and forgot, I guess.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/chrizmillr/status/1668337077770137604

No digital release until August 2023 at the earliest which means physical will be probably October or November. October makes more sense because Spider-Man 2 drops October 20th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The artbook for Across the Spider-Verse (which releases today, July 3rd) has a spoiler for Earth 42's Miles.

https://gamerant.com/spiderman-across-the-spiderverse-miles-morales-prowler-details/

It looks like he's a vigilante after all...but if he's a vigilante like say Punisher or Spider-Man remains to be seen.