Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

And even considering the fact that maybe 'Peter Porker' or 'Penni' or 'Noir' are interchangable, that ignores their purpose to bring visual splendor and diversity to the film. It's like complaining that the Enterprise's disk and sticks shape is relatively pointless for the story of Star Trek. But it's purpose is to diversify a universe full of unique species with individual quirks and design philosophies, and to bring a familiar central icon that the audience can instantly recognize. And I would say that the trio were picked to be instantly iconic and recognizable as both Spider-Man, and to be completely unfamiliar to the traditional Spider-Man mold. It brings the film back to it's final and central thesis: Spider-Man can be many things, and anyone can be Spider-Man.

This. Yes, they aren't "necessary" to the story or to Miles' character arc, but they don't have to be. Even if they didn't hammer home the "anyone can be Spider-Man" thing, which they do, the whole fun of the movie is the crazy alternate dimensions encroaching on established reality. Characters weaponizing Sin City hyper-noir or Bugs Bunny slapstick or strobing anime action is the most hilarious and awesome way to represent the idea.

This movie was fun and great and removing those characters makes it way more boring even if the story "works" without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

e: This was more or less the standard template for superheroes, until Stan Lee helped standardize the idea that a superhero might also just be a mutant in a weird costume.

"Stan Lee ruined my head-canon definition of 'superhero' 60 years ago therefore this other character based on one of his properties isn't a superhero today QED."

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

skaianDestiny posted:

Doc Ock and Aunt May were totally a thing and no one can convince me otherwise.

Yes, I likewise had this reading.

On the topic of paired characters and deep reads based on nothing, my headcanon was that May and Liv were both scientist/engineer types in this universe, and they were friends or possibly lovers at some point, but Liv was more willing to do Evil Science and May wouldn't go there. Hence the falling out.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Miles needs a solo movie where he has the signature suit beginning to end. Gwen is worth a spinoff. Peter B had a pretty good ending and should be restricted to cameos. The other three only work as quirky supporting cast. I know absolutely nothing about Miguel and I don't see how he stands out as futuristic when Spiderman is inherently science-fiction.

I imagine Miles and Gwen are the dual protagonists going forward, which is fine by me because I really like them both and think their stories are connected. Also, if there's one lesson I wish Sony would learn, it's that planning solo films for literally every character they have spreads the IP too thin. I'd rather have a really robust series of multi-character Spider-Verse movies than a dozen watered-down spinoffs for everyone that all mostly suck.

Sony keeps doing that poo poo. Before Amazing Spider-Man shat the bed, they were going to make distinct Spider-Man, Silver Sable & Black Cat, Sinister Six, Silk, and Madame Web movies. Now, we're getting more Venom, Morbius, Spider-Woman, maybe Kraven the Hunter, and those aren't even touching the MCU Spider content.

Just make one good series, Sony.