Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
Shouldn't guard #5 be dead? He's listed as dying from Cragheart's attack, but is still around and doing things afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
So Gloomhaven newbie here, but how does shield work? It looks like Bullwinkle had a shield when he was shot by the 2 attack Archer with no modifiers, but still took 2 damage?

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I'll sign up to take a turn! Gotta say though, for a no spoilers policy there's a ton of meta gaming around future events and items and trying to min max selections early on, makes me not really want to but for items or locations since they wouldn't be the "correct" choice if you know what's coming.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Well hello hounds, aren't you quite close and mobile. I'm (Splinter) thinking I'd be better off starting in a back row along with Rocky since those hounds can reach anywhere in the room, and have Bullwinkle up front in case they pull a low initiative card. I'm thinking F2/E3/G3 so that up to 2 hounds will focus/attack Bullwinkle if we can't stun/kill them all early.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I'm fine with E3 - otherwise, I'm planning on going medium speed, softening up some hounds via shenanigans and setting up for future rounds.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
drat, if I had known the hounds could be that nasty I would've front-loaded something a little quicker and more powerful. Quick question - do I have the necklace of teeth equipped or does that only happen after the scenario?
Even if I don't, 2 damage on me is fine especially if we're long-resting before moving on. I should be able to damage the hound that hits me and then do 2 damage to the elite + kill a hound by taking advantage of the elite retaliate. If I go fast next round, I should be able to kill 2 more.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I can act very fast and damage/stun dog 6 and then move up and kill the elite, so even if the hounds act fast again at worst we should take 1 attack.

DarthRoblox fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 23, 2019

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I could, potentially, but with the mechanics of the boss it feels risky to open the door immediately vs. next turn. I'm 5 away, so I'd have to use two movement cards to get there and probably burn my invisibility cloak charge, in which case the enemies wouldn't move towards us anyways. There's also a 2/3 chance of either the boss summoning additional scouts and powering himself up, or giving all the scouts a double move. Given the number of obstacles, I'm assuming that at least some of the scouts are going to be down side passages - two free moves could be enough to let them move out and get in the way.

If we want to commit to killing most/all of the scouts and hoping the boss doesn't summon too many that could work, but I could also sneak in and abuse some invisibility to deliver a lot of damage to the boss with some backup from Rocky's ranged attacks. It's a small map so I'm more worried about exhausting from being too aggressive and taking damage than I am about running out of turns. If you and Rocky can move up towards the door after killing the dog/s next to you, we can open it quickly next turn and avoid wasting a turn.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
And here I thought I was being safe by playing my fastest card - my fastest is still too slow for the doggos, though.

Luckily, this shouldn't trigger any more card loss from damage since Rocky will take ~4 and Bullwinkle ~2. Barring terrible luck we should be able to finish this room off this round - looking ahead, do we want to pause a round for rests or open the next door? Both Rocky and Bullwinkle will be pretty damaged, although a long rest doesn't provide that much healing.

I'm leaning towards a long rest and going into the next room fresh to try and focus down the boss right away - we could also loot the coins from this room since everyone still has at least 2 turns of cards remaining after this round.

On the other hand, I can still reach the door this turn although the bottom right dog will probably survive the round and I won't be able to stun it. The summon mechanics still make me think this isn't the best approach though.

Also, That Italian Guy, do I get a chance to react to or set conditional actions based on what's in the room if I open a door? ie if I opened the door could I set something like "Use the invisibility cloak if there's at least 2 enemies within 3 hexes of me"?

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I can take care of the last dog if Rocky & Bullwinkle want to focus on healing up this turn, I don't have anything else to do besides loot.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I can only do just enough damage to send the hound to the farm upstate, so at least one of you might want an attack option to use on contingency.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

Just realized I have not replied to this:
Whenever there are no enemies on the map, we'll stop the normal Step A > Step B structure and we'll resolve all the Round(s) until someone opens a door. That Round, I'll execute orders up until the door is opened; after that, I'll stop the update (giving the "opener" a chance to see what's inside before finishing their move and playing their other card, if any) and we'll go back to the normal structure.

See 10A from the last Scenario for an example :)

Gotcha - since there's no vermling scouts or overseer on the field right now, would you also pull their cards and initiative at the pause or does that only happen after the door openers turn finishes?

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007

Car Hater posted:

drat you Roblox, that coin was miiiiiinnneeeeee!

:getin:

If we're resting, I think that we should move up to the door this turn, long rest next turn, then open the door the turn after that. I figure that I'll probably open the door since I'm the fastest?

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
If we're all planning on resting then there's no downside to taking a turn to move and then doing a long rest, since it both refreshes Bullwinkle's items as well as gives both of you some healing. We have enough cards to move this turn and get us better position to react to whatever's in the room and lets Rocky make better use of the healing they've got available.

I'll go slow though Bullwinkle can have their moment of farting glory.

DarthRoblox fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 28, 2019

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Well the idea was that everyone has at least 2 cards left, so we'd move up on the door this turn, take a collective long rest the next turn, then rudely barge in the turn after that. You only lose cards upon resting, so the extra turn of movement doesn't ultimately cost anything.

tbh though it's funnier this way with the thief deciding to snooze right as Bullwinkle smashes down the door so I'm just going to roll with whatever happens.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Great time for a nap! See you guys in a round.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
OK, so good news is that 3/8 of the bosses actions are currently useless. The bad news is that the other 5/8 are fully powered up and scary. The normal vermlings aren't too bad since that ranged attack can't hurt you (unless you're poisoned? does it work like that?), but the damage from the elites could pile up quick with double actions. Hopefully they don't have too many move+attacks.

I'm going to run up and jump behind the boss and focus him down with my hardest hitting stuff - I should be able to put out a turn of ~8 damage and then 4 or 5 after that, which could be enough to put him down in 2 rounds of attacks if we can get some more chip damage in from Rocky and Bullwinkle.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
oh right, duh

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I really don't have any multi-target attacks so I think my actions are best spent focusing on the boss - I also can't soak up very many attacks from the vermling horde so I'd rather risk big hits from the boss that I can either go invis to avoid or just burn a card. I can help stun some of the elites when I can't make a bottom attack action.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I *think* it should still be safe for me to jump behind the boss if Rocky goes to I3 and Bullwinkle to L2, right? There's only 2 open spots behind there and they'd require 3 move to get to from even the closest vermlings, so they should focus on the rest of the party since they'll be right in the middle with lots of room.

I could pop the invis cloak to be safe, but I don't think it's needed.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Ah right, you're going first this round. I could either loot the chest and hit the boss next round, or get 2 hits in. I think we should focus on the boss since he's the real danger here - all it takes is one bad round with the multi-target ranged attack or double-acting scouts with something dangerous and we could be in a lot of trouble quickly. We can grab the chest as part of the mop-up once he's down.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I think actually it wouldn't have been *that* bad? Bullwinkle would've taken 6 attacks, which is a lot to be fair, but Rocky and Splinter are at a choke point so it would've been just 2 attacks (as long as they weren't ranged or jump)

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I think the problem becomes endurance though, since the boss summons .75 vermlings (3 hp's worth) on average per turn. That's more than a turn of basic attacks, so unless you manage to really cleave through the initial swarm efficiently you could wind up adding quite a few rounds as the summons keep piling up.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Alright, I'm just dumping as much damage as I can into the boss. Pray to the gods for good pulls!

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Cool cool, looks like this is about wrapped up. I'm going to hang back and grind a little experience for now, but can loot the chest (and surrounding coins) whenever we're ready to move on.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I think I'll stun the normal one and hostile takeover elite #5 - as the only scout with full health, it seems the most likely to survive (plus then we could get rat-controlled rat-on-rat murder which is pretty fun)

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I'm going to go slow, but then hoover up everything around me and end the scenario if there's no objections?

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Great round! Mvp for me goes to brute for eating that entire first round of hound attacks, I'll vote a bit later

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Going slow in B8, setting up and poking at something that gets close.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
With a lucky roll I could kill a normal hound if it winds up in front of me, then stun one of the elites (maybe the undamaged one if it moves to D7?)

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I'm going to go fast, kill the hound in front of me (hopefully) and try to heal a little bit.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Yea, as long as I draw at least a 0 then I can take care of the hound in front of me, so I'd rather go for that than just shove it out of the way (I think it would probably just run back up and hit me in most circumstances anyways). Good to know that pushing disables retaliate though.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I should be OK, since as long as I don't pull a Null or -1 (famous last words right) I can kill the hound on me and then dance around to get a total of +3 hp back - that also means Rocky can target the tornado to not muddle Bull, so you might want to build in that contingency.

I'll lose the health I gain to the spirits right away, assuming the normal one will move forward to hit more targets, but I won't need emergency healing this round.

DarthRoblox fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 13, 2019

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Shouldn't I have gotten +1 hp from the necklace of teeth? Or does the red background on the spreadsheet mean that I don't have it?

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Also I'm going to run up and stab the spirit, killing it on a flat roll or better.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Ah ok - I'll hang on to the empowering talisman then, an extra stamina potion usage is probably worth more than a few points of healing.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
2 turns of movement then a long rest sounds good to me. I can also set up to open the door early on the turn after that, with the option of going invis if needed.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Standing still and immobilizing the elite sounds like a plan.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Hmm - I don't have a ton of great options here, so I'm going to go slow and see what needs stabbing after some movement has happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Two nulls in what, 4 attacks? indeed. I'm imagining this almost like a Three Stooges sketch, with Splinter just slipping and sliding all over the place while flailing wildly with her dagger.

I'm going to step forward and hit the normal demon with a push since I don't think I can easily kill it.