Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Back in the day, giant scorpions used to be a save or die type beastie so I suppose this is them doing their best to maintain tradition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

nelson posted:

I don’t know if it’s the easiest or not but Bard is a ton of fun. Just remember you’re there to make your party mates look good and the enemies look incompetent. You’re not going to be doing much direct damage yourself.

Imo Bard has the highest skill ceiling because you want to pick spells in a way that doesn't leave you unable to act once you have concentration, and you have options for every action, bonus action, and reaction.

But like, you don't *have* to worry about that. You can just play a bard and be fine. A less-than-optimized bard is still really loving good.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

If/when I give it another swing, what’s considered one of the easier casters for a newish player to get into? Just keeping an open mind if I decide to shake it up

I really enjoyed playing a Warlock as my first caster.

I understand it can be a limited experience at low levels, but when I was still getting my head around the rules, I appreciated that it steers you towards a few sensible choices to ensure you can contribute effectively; you get one simple and unique damaging cantrip that you can then customise and upgrade as you go, a couple of cool reaction / bonus action spells that other PCs won't have access to, and a bunch of social-shenanigan spells to pair with your Charisma.

Alderman
May 31, 2021

Phrosphor posted:

It's good to be reminded of this. It's easy for me to get stuck in the mindset of 'If it isn't hard, if there isn't the danger of death, then they aren't having fun!'

The trick is to highlight where the extra challenge WOULD have been if the players hadn't negated - the villain calls out "now, my loyal minions, get them!" followed by crickets and the villain going "oh." (exaggerated example, but you get the point)

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

grobbo posted:

I really enjoyed playing a Warlock as my first caster.

I understand it can be a limited experience at low levels, but when I was still getting my head around the rules, I appreciated that it steers you towards a few sensible choices to ensure you can contribute effectively; you get one simple and unique damaging cantrip that you can then customise and upgrade as you go, a couple of cool reaction / bonus action spells that other PCs won't have access to, and a bunch of social-shenanigan spells to pair with your Charisma.

I would definitely recommend a Warlock for a first time caster, you get to have really useful tools while also having a pretty simple set of options each combat. I find it easy to get decision paralysis with sorcerers metamagic and wizards insane array of spells. With a warlock, you make a decision at level up and then you just live with it.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

If/when I give it another swing, what’s considered one of the easier casters for a newish player to get into? Just keeping an open mind if I decide to shake it up

Seconding the warlock recommendation. It's got several advantages:
  • You have a "default action"; if you can't think what spells you want then grab Eldritch Blast.
  • You have a short spell list (which doesn't actually feel short)
  • You only need to worry about spell levels at level up
  • You barely have to track spell slots - you only get two per short rest
  • Invocations are cool an give you more in-class variety than any other class. Some are much better than others however. (Don't bother with anything that says you can cast X spell once using a spell slot; you have more good spells than slots).
  • Pact Boons (other than the blade) are cool and give you more customisation
  • Your pact itself is an amazing source of RP inspiration, and there are some very good ones both thematically and mechanically.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Phrosphor posted:

It's good to be reminded of this. It's easy for me to get stuck in the mindset of 'If it isn't hard, if there isn't the danger of death, then they aren't having fun!'

Sometimes it's really great to let the party take a victory lap or two as well, really let them feel all the power they accumulated. In the last long 1-20 campaign I ran, one of the later dungeon was just scores and scores of kobolds and weird kobold traps. The party was dropping them by the dozens and everyone got to feel like the king bad asses they were.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

do you guys think there's enough people doing in-person D&D with actual dungeon tiles to make a go at selling full on tile sets and stuff? I've been doing tons of painting and printing for my own campaign but i wonder if theres more of a shift to VTT's and all that. I mean dwarven forge shows people still buy tons of stuff, and looking at etsy people are selling like, random doodads and terrain and individual tile sets but i don't see many selling actual big complete kits of stuff. I could easily make a full on rebrand hideout or cragmaw, stuff like that with all the random thousands of dungeon tiles and stuff I have accumulated to print.

edit: or do you think people lean more towards just building things for neat encounters and not an entire dungeon or wahtever

queeb fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 27, 2023

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I see people buy stuff like that for dungeon crawler board games like Gloomhaven, Descent, etc.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

queeb posted:

do you guys think there's enough people doing in-person D&D with actual dungeon tiles to make a go at selling full on tile sets and stuff?

I don’t know. There’s certainly some market for it but there are already vendors who sell that kind of stuff (like Dwarven Forge) so you’d be competing with them on price, quality, and branding.

quote:

edit: or do you think people lean more towards just building things for neat encounters and not an entire dungeon or wahtever

They’ll build whatever fits on the table. Source: Friends who own a ton of dwarven forge stuff.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Looks like 1.0a is here to stay!

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1439-ogl-1-0a-creative-commons

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Looks like they made their :c00lbert: saving throw.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
They must have been really making GBS threads their pants that the only people who may actually watch the movie might boycott it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Epi Lepi posted:

They must have been really making GBS threads their pants that the only people who may actually watch the movie might boycott it.

Given that the way they threw up the 5.1 SRD, unedited for IP terms, just gave full rights to a whole raft of previously-protected terms, I'd say they were acting with pants-making GBS threads terror, yes.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

SpaceDrake posted:

Given that the way they threw up the 5.1 SRD, unedited for IP terms, just gave full rights to a whole raft of previously-protected terms, I'd say they were acting with pants-making GBS threads terror, yes.

I'd bet very good money that the pants-making GBS threads terror was induced by D&D Beyond subscription cancellations. I think the WSJ had a story about them being "concerned" about how many they were seeing go.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Azathoth posted:

I'd bet very good money that the pants-making GBS threads terror was induced by D&D Beyond subscrip tion cancellations. I think the WSJ had a story about them being "concerned" about how many they were seeing go.

Can there be any doubt?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Unrelated to that, does anyone have any recommendations for a collection, book, anthology, whatever of disconnected one-shot adventures that can be completed in 2-3 hours that requires zero DM prep?

Basically what I'm looking for is something I can pull out of my rear end for when I have some players show up but not enough to go. Tonight we were supposed to be doing the stirring and tragic sacrifice of one of the characters because the player doesn't want to play them anymore and wants them to go out with a bang, but she had a family emergency and now I've got a bunch of players and literally nothing else planned because she was super gungho about being here. Everyone's cool about it but it'd be nice to be able to pull out a little disconnected one-shot when things come up and we can't do whatever we were planning.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Azathoth posted:

Unrelated to that, does anyone have any recommendations for a collection, book, anthology, whatever of disconnected one-shot adventures that can be completed in 2-3 hours that requires zero DM prep?

Basically what I'm looking for is something I can pull out of my rear end for when I have some players show up but not enough to go. Tonight we were supposed to be doing the stirring and tragic sacrifice of one of the characters because the player doesn't want to play them anymore and wants them to go out with a bang, but she had a family emergency and now I've got a bunch of players and literally nothing else planned because she was super gungho about being here. Everyone's cool about it but it'd be nice to be able to pull out a little disconnected one-shot when things come up and we can't do whatever we were planning.

I've been running a one shot from this: https://ghostfiregaming.com/quest-o-nomicon/ They're Level 1-3 one shots though.

They do an overview of the contents on their channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfue87zyekw

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Can there be any doubt?

Apparently a lot of the D&D Beyond accounts that were getting cancelled belonged to some of the 90/10 whales. As a company, it is a huge red flag when your main source of income decides to stop throwing money at you.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Azathoth posted:

I just recently saw ads for this now-closed Kickstarter from Roll and Play Press for a book of one-shots, there's a few sample ones too for whenever it gets released.

Dungeon in a Box, in addition to their monthly story arc adventure, also does a lot of one-shots for a variety of levels (with guides for adjusting the levels), come with maps, and if you're willing to shell out more money, offer physical versions with skinny minis for some of the monsters.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Zurreco posted:

Apparently a lot of the D&D Beyond accounts that were getting cancelled belonged to some of the 90/10 whales. As a company, it is a huge red flag when your main source of income decides to stop throwing money at you.

A lot of big names like Critical Roll saying they are gonna drop 5e probably made them sweat some too.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Nitrousoxide posted:

A lot of big names like Critical Roll saying they are gonna drop 5e probably made them sweat some too.

Wait, when did Critical Role say they were going to drop 5e? The only response I've seen from them was a very vague, noncommital statement of support for other content creators (which, to be clear, is perfectly understandable since they're currently sponsored by WotC and probably aren't allowed to be too critical).

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Zurai posted:

Wait, when did Critical Role say they were going to drop 5e? The only response I've seen from them was a very vague, noncommital statement of support for other content creators (which, to be clear, is perfectly understandable since they're currently sponsored by WotC and probably aren't allowed to be too critical).

They didn't. The TTRPG "community" spent a lot of time working themselves into a lather and projecting onto their favorite parasocial relationship

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Azathoth posted:

There is a great series called Uncaged that does this. I think they are at 6 books now, each with 15-20 one shots of differing PC levels that are maybe 5 pages each. Each one shot has some intro text, some set up a DM would need 10 mins to prep, and a few stat blocks when necessary. My one issue is that, since these books focus on female monsters and try to promote woman writers, a lot of the modules will quickly boil down to "a man did something terrible to a woman and now she's a monster and just misunderstood or dealing with her trauma" and then the real baddie is the misogynist alchemist/sexist knight/lecherous shopkeep.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NeurosisHead posted:

They didn't. The TTRPG "community" spent a lot of time working themselves into a lather and projecting onto their favorite parasocial relationship
Oh there was some major jazz reading going on there, i.e. "It's about the words they don't say."

The io9 interview with Codega is pretty funny because she asks Matt about the OGL situation, and Marisha literally has to jump in and save him with corporate speak because he freezes up trying to think of something 'safe' to answer with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oJ5UxfIbU8

He seems amused when he says it'll be interesting to see how it plays out, but there could be any number of reasons for that amusement.

Ultimately, he is a figurehead for a multi-million dollar media company with employees and livelihoods to think of, knowing that he has to be incredibly careful about what he says, and I think the laughter probably comes from an appreciation of how fundamentally ridiculous that is for a project that ultimately revolves around playing D&D with his friends once a week.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Azathoth posted:

I got a lot of mileage out of Prepared and Prepared 2 from Kobold Press.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I was thinking that could be useful for me as well and found this... could be good?

https://1shotadventures.com/adventure-index/

EDIT: they're free too

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Thank you all for the suggestions!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
With the SRD settled, I want to rethink the 5E MM monsters, which might address some of the CR problems. I'm going to do an example here ITT; I don't know if it's worth starting a new thread if I continue, but if nobody but me is interested I can write things up myself with considerably less effort.

The 5E MM has some glaring problems: the monsters tend to be a little too simple, and the higher CR monsters are an especial problem, though a few types of monsters (like Dragons) got special attention. As a for instance, while the demons made the transition from 3.5 to 5E relatively intact, devils mostly lost spell-like abilities, leaving the devils melee monsters with no finesse while many of the demons are about judicious application of 1/day spells. But as this is a complex rebalance, I'm going to start with the low-hanging fruit and rethink the Angels, starting with the Deva.

The SRD Deva is CR 10. At that CR, the DMG calls for +4 PB, AC 17, 206-220 hp, +7 attack bonus, 63-68 DPR and saves at DC 16. As written the Deva as AC 17 (CR 10), 136 hp (CR 5), a +8 attack (CR 11), 50 DPR (CR 7), saves DC 17 (CR 11). Higher AC and lower hp is the standard for 5E monsters, and the Deva can heal other creatures, meaning two can heal each other, so between that and their moderate resistances the hp need to be higher but not at CR 10. The Deva needs more actions and could use a few more spells. As it might appear as a foe or an ally to the PCs, it should have abilities that lend themselves to either role: a memorable opponent or a useful ally. Also, the art shows the thing unarmored and it uses no shield, but with a Dex 18 its natural armor is as good as Mage Armor. Why not make its unarmored state a point, as well as a factor to differentiate it from more powerful angels?

My rewritten stats:
Deva
Medium celestial, typically lawful good
AC 19 (unarmored combat)
Hit Points 171 (18d8+90)
Speed 30 ft, fly 90 ft
STR 18 (+4) DEX 18 (+4) CON 20 (+5) INT 17 (+3) WIS 20 (+5) CHA 20 (+5)
Saving Throws Wis +9, Cha +9
Skills Insight +9, Perception +9
Damage Resistances radiant; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened
Senses darkvision 120 ft, passive Perception 19
Languages all, telepathy 120 ft
Proficiency Bonus +4

Angelic Weapons. The deva's weapon attacks are magical. When the deva hits with any weapon, the weapon deals an extra 4d8 radiant damage (included in the attack).
Innate Spellcasting. The deva's spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 17). The deva can innately cast the following spells, requiring only verbal components:
At will: detect evil and good, protection from evil and good
1/day each: commune, raise dead

Magic Resistance. The deva has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Unarmored Combat. When not wearing armor or carrying a shield, the deva's AC is 10 + its Dexterity modifier + its Wisdom modifier.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The deva makes either two Mace attacks or two Guiding Bolt attacks. It can then use Spirit Guardians if the ability is available.
Mace. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft, one target. Hit: 7 (1d6+4) bludgeoning damage plus 18 (4d8) radiant damage.
Guiding Bolt. Ranged Spell Attack: +9 to hit, range 120 ft, one creature. Hit: 19 (4d6+5) radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of the deva's next turn has advantage.
Spirit Guardians (Recharge 6). Angelic spirits fly around the deva to a distance of 15 feet. When the deva takes this action, it can designate any number of creatures it can see to be unaffected by it. An affected creature's speed is halved when in the area, and when the creature enters the area for the first time on its turn or starts its turn there, it must make a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 13 (3d8) radiant damage; on a successful save, it suffers half damage. This ability requires the deva's concentration as if it were concentrating on a spell.

BONUS ACTIONS
Change Shape. The deva magically polymorphs into a humanoid or beast that has a challenge rating equal to or less than its own, or back into its true form. It reverts to its true form if it dies. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying is absorbed or borne by the new form (the deva's choice).
In a new form, the deva retains its game statistics and ability to speak and use telepathy, but its AC, movement modes, Strength, Dexterity, and special senses are replaced by those of the new form, and it gains any statistics and capabilities (except class features, legendary actions, and lair actions) that the new form has that but that it lacks.
Healing Touch (3/Day). The deva touches another creature. The target magically regains 20 (4d8+2) hit points and is freed from any curse, disease, poison, blindness, or deafness.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Narsham posted:

With the SRD settled, I want to rethink the 5E MM monsters, which might address some of the CR problems. I'm going to do an example here ITT; I don't know if it's worth starting a new thread if I continue, but if nobody but me is interested I can write things up myself with considerably less effort.

The 5E MM has some glaring problems: the monsters tend to be a little too simple, and the higher CR monsters are an especial problem, though a few types of monsters (like Dragons) got special attention. As a for instance, while the demons made the transition from 3.5 to 5E relatively intact, devils mostly lost spell-like abilities, leaving the devils melee monsters with no finesse while many of the demons are about judicious application of 1/day spells. But as this is a complex rebalance, I'm going to start with the low-hanging fruit and rethink the Angels, starting with the Deva.

The SRD Deva is CR 10. At that CR, the DMG calls for +4 PB, AC 17, 206-220 hp, +7 attack bonus, 63-68 DPR and saves at DC 16.

Take that page of the DMG and burn it. It's wrong and leads to basic hit point pinatas. Blog of Holding has a simpler and better version

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

NeurosisHead posted:

I still remember when the Internet threw a fit upon discovering Critical Role was a multi-million dollar company.

Mercer's friends aren't your friends, Internet. I'm not saying they're good people or bad people, but they're not your people. They're not a group of nobodies playing in someone's basement, they're a business model. Corporate chic. Mercer has the time to make all those elaborate combat set pieces because someone pays him to do it (if he's even the one who does).

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

For making monsters I saw some people using this to calculate CR and it seemed useful

https://iadndmn.neocities.org/CRcalc

Decided to calculate a mid rank devil and chose the Bone Devil. It’s actually too strong for it’s CR. It only matches CR 9 if you don’t calculate Damage Resistance, but with it, it’s CR 11.

Yusin fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 29, 2023

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yusin posted:

For making monsters I saw some people using this to calculate CR and it seemed useful

https://iadndmn.neocities.org/CRcalc
That looks like it uses the bad DMG math still. I just have that blog of holding table written out to CR 20 in my notebook and use that to eyeball monsters, no calculation necessary except for divvying out the damage budget and I have a few of those precalculated per row also. Still sucks and CR is not a very useful metric but that's about the most useful tool in my notebook.

Also 5e tools can rescale monsters per CR and pretty sure that also uses the MM on a business card math.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Just checked the Barbed Devil as well, got CR 7, but without Damage Resistance it’s CR 5 as it should be.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

I am really looking forward to the Monster making info for One D&D. would love for the math to be more accurate.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Azathoth posted:

The two I use are AAW mini dungeons (https://adventureaweek.com/product-category/5th-edition/5e-mini-dungeons/) and Elven Tower adventures/1-pagers (https://www.elventower.com/full-adventures/)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Attn: Rangers are hella good. The original beastmaster sucked but anyone who still thinks rangers are bad just isn't paying attention.

In my Adventurer's League game I got lucky with Bracers of Archery early on, and at level 5 you get a magic item of your choice (from a short list) and I took a Long Bow +1 because I like long bows. I also have the archery fighting style. 18 dex. Since in AL we don't reliably have a charisma guy I took the Fey Wanderer subclass so I get to add my wisdom modifier to charisma checks, and it also gives 1d4 psychic damage the first time I hit a guy each turn.

At level 5 I have +10 to hit, which is ridiculous.
Damage 1d8+7 +1d4 +1d6 (Hunter's mark)

I'm not nearly as effective in melee, of course. My AC isn't great and if I get hit I can lose concentration on Hunter's Mark and things start to suck, but usually there's a fighter or barbarian up front to keep me safe. Those guys are rock stars. <3

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I made a melee strength ranger with shield bash as a crowd controller to give our champion fighter advantage to crit fish

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

neonchameleon posted:

Take that page of the DMG and burn it. It's wrong and leads to basic hit point pinatas. Blog of Holding has a simpler and better version

That means a CR 20 monster has 300 hp.
That’s two rounds for a group of L15 PCs to kill it. I suppose it might last three rounds at AC 23, depending upon PC equipment, but I find high AC and lower hp tends to frustrate the people I play with more than lower AC and higher hp. Martials are suffering enough without giving them higher miss chances than the DMG table calls for.

The real problem is that Blog of Holding developed those stats to measure the ACTUAL MM monster designs, which not only don’t follow the DMG rules but also don’t seem to have much design philosophy behind them at all beyond being derived from basic “number go up” approaches. BoH seems to like the MM designs, but after years of using them I think they get worse and worse as the CR increases. The DMG table isn’t great either and I’m just as happy ignoring it and eyeballing my stats, but that only helps at my table.

Doesn’t look like there’s much interest, though, so I’ll halt with the Deva. I might share a few principles in future that 5E supports and their monsters don’t actually employ, like having a monster run its attacks via reactions and give it one reaction per PC turn, or expanding on the idea of monster stages, or giving a monster a defensive mode that it has to use a legendary to get back out of, or giving more monsters damage vulnerabilities but linking them to some bad effect (recharging a power, dealing AoE damage in response, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Oh that’s a shame I thought your Deva was cool.