Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
I got a Donald Trump corkscrew, where the corkscrew is his penis. It was a gag gift, so it's intentionally lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Son of Rodney posted:

I got a dyson portable vacuum. You hold it in your hands and dont have a little lovely vacuum you drag around anymore, that gets stuck everywhere and annoys the poo poo out of you. I'm seriously exited to try it at home.

if it's one of those ones that without the attachments on kinda looks like a sci-fi space gun then it's a life changer and one of my most prized possessions and you are very lucky

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I got a toenail clipper.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Phthisis posted:

if it's one of those ones that without the attachments on kinda looks like a sci-fi space gun then it's a life changer and one of my most prized possessions and you are very lucky

That's exactly what it is and as a 32 year old man it's one of the best gifts I've gotten in years.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Son of Rodney posted:

I got a dyson portable vacuum. You hold it in your hands and dont have a little lovely vacuum you drag around anymore, that gets stuck everywhere and annoys the poo poo out of you. I'm seriously exited to try it at home.

sir this thread is for lovely gifts only

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I'm posting as my young-kin character who only likes Lego, don't chrono shame plz.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I got a shirt. It says "no one likes a soggy bottom" and has a picture of a pie.
I hope Mary Berry I proud.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
My mother's bf decided she was due for new toilet seats and got her 3 solid oak toilet seats. Nothing else. I mean, sure they're nice toilet seats but goddamn man.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

This isn't lovely, in fact the opposite, but it's one of the most intriguing gifts I've received.
We have several gardens (flower and vegetable).

My parents some how found and presented us with a well made pine box, inside are hand forged and constructed, EXTREMELY high end ... garden tools. With like custom wood handles and such. They go so far as to have details like a square, folding latch to hold the garden shears together on the base of the handle, and a bulb planter (think narrow trowel shaped thing, that looks kinda really close to a gladius) with one side sharpened like a knife, with a gut hook at the the base to open bags and such and the other edge serrated and it's roughly the size of a large bowie knife, it has in markings on the 'scooped' part of the blade so you know how deep in inches you're digging for the bulbs (though it's neat because it's just a straight line, not numbered or labeled or overly complex), along with several other tools, all done in blackened steel. Frankly they're so beautiful my wife and I are unsure if we want to use them or just hang them in our garden shed as decoration.

We also got a bee house and book about bees. The bee house is meant for carpenter bees to use and you can open the front panel door of it, and there's still a plexiglass barrier so you can see the tunnels the bees use and see what they've been up to but not bother them or get stung. I plan to hang that on the shed itself for sure so they can get to our garden and help us out.

Anyway this is my "Not lovely gifts" post for the thread.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Guildenstern Mother posted:

My mother's bf decided she was due for new toilet seats and got her 3 solid oak toilet seats. Nothing else. I mean, sure they're nice toilet seats but goddamn man.

Your mom must take some seriously messy shits

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
You know I wish there was a way for me to tell people 'please don't buy me presents' that makes them not buy me any presents

Every drat year I tell them, you don't need to buy me anything, I'm happy just to hang out and have a nice meal, please don't buy me anything, you don't have to spend more money

And every year I still get a dozen boxes of store bought plastic poo poo I don't need, or a metric ton of candy because 'You'd be dissapointed if you didn't have anything to open!' 'I feel too bad if I don't get you something!'

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Light saber bbq tongs. They have a vader handgrip and make the ignition noise when opened. They are also way to long to use comfortably and lock closed again if you squeeze to hard. They are an expensive pain in the rear end to use.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

big dyke energy posted:

You know I wish there was a way for me to tell people 'please don't buy me presents' that makes them not buy me any presents

Every drat year I tell them, you don't need to buy me anything, I'm happy just to hang out and have a nice meal, please don't buy me anything, you don't have to spend more money

And every year I still get a dozen boxes of store bought plastic poo poo I don't need, or a metric ton of candy because 'You'd be dissapointed if you didn't have anything to open!' 'I feel too bad if I don't get you something!'

Just give them a list of inexpensive books or office supplies or black socks or some other poo poo you actually need, poo poo man take a hint

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Phthisis posted:

yes we have two and they're awesome

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
i just masturbated my penis

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I got a fluorescent yellow snood. I'm kind of into it though.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

an aunt went zero-effort this year and just got every person a seemingly randomly chosen Funko man. So now I unfortunately own one of these things. For some reason I was chosen to get the big blue furry guy from Monsters Inc?

So I got a thing that looks stupid and does nothing from a children's movie I've never seen.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

13Pandora13 posted:

Just give them a list of inexpensive books or office supplies or black socks or some other poo poo you actually need, poo poo man take a hint

Haha. If I ask for socks (you bet your rear end I ask for socks because I know I can't escape gifts, I specifically asked for 'socks or gloves') I don't just get socks, I get horrible fake fleece slipper socks that are completely useless as both socks and slippers and I get them every drat year.

It's like it doesn't matter what I actually want, because if it's not suitably Christmassy or whatever I won't get it. Every day socks that I could use and enjoy all year? Not enough of a gift, apparently.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

big dyke energy posted:

Haha. If I ask for socks (you bet your rear end I ask for socks because I know I can't escape gifts, I specifically asked for 'socks or gloves') I don't just get socks, I get horrible fake fleece slipper socks that are completely useless as both socks and slippers and I get them every drat year.

It's like it doesn't matter what I actually want, because if it's not suitably Christmassy or whatever I won't get it. Every day socks that I could use and enjoy all year? Not enough of a gift, apparently.

Eh, go a little pricier then. Doughty escorial wool or Pembrey Sea Island cotton socks. Or some John Henry boot socks if labor work socks are more your need. A black cashmere men's scarf.

They aren't going to give up. I've started asking for things like specific limited release stamps and expensive pens because "a pack of G2s and some forever stamps" just gets weird looks/is ignored.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I got a roomba. I live in a 650 square foot apartment with little floor space and lots of obstacles.

But I still love my mom for giving me a robot.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Also, disappointed there are no wall scrolls or funkpops itt.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

gbs but from 2004 posted:

sir this thread is for lovely gifts only

In honor of, and in keeping with the theme of this thread, I recieved a copy of Just Cause 3...

A game I already have.

Probably on discount since Just Cause 4 is already out.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

The Bananana posted:

In honor of, and in keeping with the theme of this thread, I recieved a copy of Just Cause 3...

A game I already have.

Probably on discount since Just Cause 4 is already out.

Worse, it's in the January humble bundle, and is one of the three games you could get in December early if you subscribe.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
i love you all because you lasted this long.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I got the bags that you zip up clothes that you are packing in luggage. She explained it’s so you can keep everything organized in the suit case. I was like, this is a problem I didn’t realized I had. My daughter lolled

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Burt Sexual posted:

I got the bags that you zip up clothes that you are packing in luggage. She explained it’s so you can keep everything organized in the suit case. I was like, this is a problem I didn’t realized I had. My daughter lolled

Sup Burt!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

big dyke energy posted:

Just donate them?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

big dyke energy posted:

It took a couple years but this year my family all got only cards for each other, it’s pretty great not having to deal with the tons of BS I don’t actually want or need and not having to stress out about getting something for everyone.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Twerkdad posted:

It took a couple years but this year my family all got only cards for each other, it’s pretty great not having to deal with the tons of BS I don’t actually want or need and not having to stress out about getting something for everyone.

My wife and I buy poo poo we need or want for the house. Getting rid of 30 yo track lighting and got some new pans. Boring

Throw back

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
For sure man, you get anything lovely?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Salty Josh posted:

For sure man, you get anything lovely?

Bags you pack inside of bags is p lovely. What a waste

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Nap Ghost

Burt Sexual posted:

Bags you pack inside of bags is p lovely. What a waste

drat dude. My stale cologne don't hold a candle to that.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Thots and Prayers posted:

:siren:My girlfriend:siren: got me a "23 and Me" DNA kit. I threw it at her and called her a Bildeburger.

showed this post to my actual bilderberger mother in law who said she considered getting us these kits

she lost her poo poo and the whole family had a huge laugh

thank you merry christmas pal

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Salty Josh posted:

drat dude. My stale cologne don't hold a candle to that.

We all sat around the tree opening gifts. It was p cool and fun. One hour well spent w coffee.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Also, disappointed there are no wall scrolls or funkpops itt.

I brought someone a funkpop for Xmas. He was thrilled. Of course he is also 5, so you know, the target audience.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Over the summer my friend was going to get one of those planners for teachers that has a bunch of poo poo in it and random inspirational quotes. She was really turned off by one quote that said something like teachers should burn themselves out if they really love their work. We talked poo poo about it for a couple of months.

My mom got me the same planner for Christmas.

1. That's a lovely quote
2. Who uses a planner anymore? I do everything on Google Drive and so does everyone else I know
3. It's halfway through the school year.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Grem posted:

Over the summer my friend was going to get one of those planners for teachers that has a bunch of poo poo in it and random inspirational quotes. She was really turned off by one quote that said something like teachers should burn themselves out if they really love their work. We talked poo poo about it for a couple of months.

My mom got me the same planner for Christmas.

1. That's a lovely quote
2. Who uses a planner anymore? I do everything on Google Drive and so does everyone else I know
3. It's halfway through the school year.

Yeah that’s bad. But my mom has no concept of what I even do for a living. It computers. Lol 20 years. I’m taking her and a friend to a resort for Xmas. Hope she remembers it. She can’t drive, so I’ll get to meet another old lady that probably is cooler than my mom. She always buys presents thoughfor my kids.

E my mom is an extreme racist

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

big dyke energy posted:

Tell your aunt(s) that Aunt Gift Law says they must give you regular socks/underwear for Christmas. It has always been so, back unto the days of the Forefathers.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Werthers originals because like 5 years ago I took one from my grand parents candy bowl to be polite and they think I love them since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Bought my kid an Arrma Granite 2wd RC trick I hope he loses interest in. Dad got us a bugout bag with some survival stuff and emergency food supply. I already have a bugout but didn’t have any food, so I’m gonna use the pack he got us for my motorcycle bag since it has waist and chest buckles