Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

backstreet girls is both offensive and terribly made and ridiculously unfunny

Goblin Slayer is at least a competent production

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

inkajoo posted:

> Backstreet Girls

I know nothing about this show, I just watched a few clips. Can someone explain to me how this show is transphobic so I can be mad too

well, all the main characters were forcibly turned into girls via backalley surgery in taiwan so they could become idols and repay debts they owe, and half the gags are about them acting manly while other characters freak out and realize they're really guys

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its not like this is an actual poll with any kind of impact or social weight, its just a place for people to discuss anime they thought were bad. vote for whatever.

inkajoo posted:

right, i got that, except it still doesn't seem transphobic... they're trying to just fool people not actually become girls. it doesn't seem to have anything to do with transgenderism. like if the show had trans characters depicted in a derogatory way that would be one thing but these characters aren't trans they're just magically gender bending like Ranma ... or is Ranma bad now
idk how to tell you but sexchange surgery isnt a magical creation of fiction, and if i made a show about two guys pretending to be gay and all the gags were about how weird it'd be if they were gay thatd be homophobic even if they werent actually gay

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also tbh theres some gags in ranma that read kinda weird today though i will say the gender stuff is a much lesser issue than the really weird portrayal of chinese people

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

inkajoo posted:

yeah i didn't read carefully but even if it isn't magical they're still not trans because it wasn't their wish to become girls. from what i see they're not trying very hard to "pass" unlike trans people who frequently make it a priority. so the juxtaposition of how they look to how un-feminine they act creates comedy.

i think a show about straight guys pretending to be gay would be hilarious. i've seen comedy videos like this. a character in one decided to be "bi" and totally isn't and that's the joke. characters who are supposedly gay constantly showing their straightness by accident would be funny.
as someone whos seen i now pronounce you chuck and larry i can assure you it really, really isnt

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Goblin slayer is fun schlock so I'm not putting it on a list here.

Most Hated: Fist of the Blue Sky Regenesis. I love Tetsuo Hara's stuff and seeing it turned into crappy CGI really rustled my jimmies.
Most Disappointed: Osomatsu S2...
Most Avoided: Dagashi Kashi. Who gives a poo poo about candy, the only good thing on it is the purple chick
the purple girl is for plebs, the girl with the tiny pupils is the real poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

whats this? my casual best friend girl with cute eyes and a fang? no thanks, id much rather hang out with the manic pixie-stik dream girl with boobs that vary in size based on the key animator

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, that's a thing with a lot of 80s yaoi - the main characters are 'pure' in contrast to the gross world around them. It's only partly a gay thing, it's partly just a product of the economic boom in that period leading to a lot of cultural excess and strange crime that got brought up on tv and in turn influenced art. it's also partly a shoujo thing.

of course this is reason number 76 why trying to update the story to take place in modern times is dumb. it's a product of the period it was made in, which is also the period its set in, and having that context is pretty critical to getting why its important and worthwhile, imo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

goblin slayer is a lot of things but isekai isnt one of them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kater posted:

loving lol at all the grace being extended to the sexual manipulate your sister show when dakaichi got loving pilloried.
citrus isn't a sexually manipulate your sister show. because the entire point is that the things mei is doing are incredibly bad and the result of society's incredibly hosed up understand of how lesbians are able to express their sexuality, and the point is that her and yuzu work through them to reach a point where they're healthy and happy, along with a bunch of teenage lesbians who have hosed up views of their own sexuality. mei never once has any actual power over yuzu, and her attempts at 'manipulating' yuzu are fumbling and broken and yuzu is clearly never in any real danger - there's things she doesn't like mei doing but she gets out of those situations immediately and then they actually deal with the fallout of what happened. Because they're two morons with a warped view of their own sexualities. Yuzu barely even gets that girls are a thing she's allowed to kiss and Mei views her own sexuality as a negative that people will be pushed away by, and she acts out in those ways in order to prove to herself that it's wrong. The fact that it's wrong is something every character is aware of and is the entire point of the scene.

citrus is melodramatic and bumbling, especially early on, and if it's not to your taste I incredibly get why, but it's not some kind of incest rape show where you're meant to go 'wow this is hot.' It's a show with like two forced kisses, and forcibly kissing someone is hosed up but comparing it to a show with literal rape in it is dumb as hell.

its almost like watching 12 minutes of a show so you can deliver a hot take is stupid!

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 28, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

I might actually pick this up again given your explanation of things and what someone else said about happy gay wedding which is something I can always get behind. Not sure why, but it made me think of Tasogare Shimanami which was really good and one of the most gorgeous manga I've seen.
The wedding isn't in the anime, hopefully we get a citrus season 2. Some of the material in the back half of citrus goes on a bit long but its got a great ending

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Goblin Slayer and Uzamaid have some actual artistry and craft to the animation/direction at least, Junji Ito collection was a horrible adaptation of great material.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eej posted:

I noped out of Darling early on when it looked like it was going down some :biotruths: males and females finding their ideal heterosexual partner to pilot giant robots thing and judging by the same brand of gamer dude still rocking 02 avatars I don't think it got any better
there was a canonical lesbian couple at the end my dude

franxx still has some dumb ideas about sexuality and gender but its not that kind of awful

also judging anime by the people who are fans of it is always dumb, there was huge drama over an incredibly awful guy making a fuss about 'fags and dykes' at anime cons and his twitter icon was from a manga literally by a lesbian. people don't seek out art that reinforces their beliefs, they view art through a lens that reinforces their beliefs. if they like something, they'll warp it to suit their views.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nielsm posted:

I extremely dislike bullying, see also that arc in March Lion.
is it bullying if hes into it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

"bad girl picks on meek male she secretly likes" is the new manga hotness. It's only a matter of time before it has it's own genre and floods the market, isekai style.
this hot new trend was set with the recent hit light novel *checks notes* アーサー王の死 (Ru morute darutouru)/Le Morte D'Arthur

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

That aspect of Morte D'Arthur is actually toned down from the French romances it's based on, where Guinevere often treats Lancelot very cruelly to test his love for her.
he deserves it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

franxx has an explicitly gay couple which means shinzo abe would probably sentence the creators to death if he could

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

To elaborate on Slime. It's Sid Meier's Civ combined with the Sims but fantasy with a bit Strategy JRPG and traditional(think 90's and early to mid 00's) JRPG trimmings.

https://twitter.com/duvalmagic/status/486550022910005248?lang=en

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Well, it also had the lesbian character lamenting how terrible she is for being queer and how she's like the extremely queer and evil villain squad, and her friend reassuring her that it's okay, they're all terrible in their own ways, implicitly putting "being a lesbian" on the same level of badness of all the hosed up poo poo the other characters have done. Also even after it's explicit that she's a lesbian she still has to spend every combat scene in a position that looks like she's getting hosed by a male character. Then in the end they finally let her have a girlfriend but also she's gonna die early (and is the only one of the surviving kids to be in this position despite her managing to figure out a way to save the others from a similar fate), and somehow people use this as an argument that the show is supportive of queer people and none of the other stuff (i.e. the entire rest of the show up to that point) counts.
when did i ever say the show was woke as gently caress about gay people lol

the show objectively has a canonically gay character who is treated as something resembling a human being. that is far too much for shinzo abe, whose party has literally wished for the death of all homosexuals and he has only condemned in the most mealymouthed, doing as little as possible ways. this is why the shinzo abe jokes arent funny, and why they are too harsh to the writers of franxx, who are complete morons who need to read a book that doesn't have a robot on the cover, but not literal monsters, especially given that a lot of the push-and-pull of franxx's 'takes' on gender can be attributed to it being a completely unfocused production that existed primarily for the sake of existing, versus trying to make any kind of point.

Eej posted:

endorph i thought you said it had cool lesbians!!
i literally didnt at all

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 6, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Cappy posted:

Literal nothingness is a better anime than the average anime. The average anime is a waste of time and resources.
so are you the arbiter of which anime are wastes of time and resources, or is there a committee

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

I don't think any of those shows are saying that literally all lesbians are pedophiles. It's still deeply hosed up that shows with lesbian pedophile protagonists are becoming a genre.
its really not, becoming a genre

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

naruto has a lot of insanely well animated scenes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hey you know whatd be cool? not doing this bit

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

I wish I could append Citrus to my list because holy poo poo that's a minefield of awkward and likely illegal sexual assault mixed with that annoying pseudo-Ayanami learned helplessness. :stonk:
it's really not

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wait, hold on, 'likely' illegal sexual assault?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wait is getting to third base sexual assault?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xinder posted:

i'll just say it then since nobody else will: if it's nonconsensual, yes. that is indeed sexual assault. as is kissing someone against their will.
holy poo poo

do people really have a low enough opinion of me to think that i actually think getting to third base nonconsensually with someone isnt sexual assault

the scene that guy's talking about doesnt exist and he specifically describes a separate scene as 'forcible,' and the only scene i can think of involving third base that doesnt involve mei is consensual, so i was left to assume that he was complaining about a consensual scene as if it was sexual assault

of course i think groping someone nonconsensually is sexual assault. of course i think kissing someone against their will is sexual assault.

what the gently caress.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 9, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Roth posted:

As far as I'm aware Backstreet Girls was at least not a popular show like Goblin Slayer is?
nobody cared at all about backstreet girls yes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

maybe these threads where we all say which of the 5 anime every season none of us watched because they sounded bad we didn't watch the most because they sounded the worst are kind of pointless and bad in themselves. . .

anyway gently caress amanchu season 2
lets all get performatively mad about whichever popular anime we feel like the people we dont like, might like, while also earning extra woke points by downplaying offensive stuff that didnt personally make us mad because the people we dont like werent tweeting about it. the most important part, though, is to have not watched any of the anime we're talking about

also agreed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thuryl posted:

All I can think of is that they were talking about the scene right at the very start where Yuzu sees the teacher kissing Mei, except that yeah that's pretty far off from what they described in a number of ways
and also they seem to have mixed up mei and yuzu if that is the scene they're referring to?

Captain Cappy posted:

You, a moron: Consensually getting to third base is not sexual assault.
Me, an Laissez's Faire genious: All sex is rape in a patriarchal society.
where did you come from and why wont you stop

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Jesus really? You want me to screencap that to verify that it, indeed, has really creepy and offputting stuff sandwiched between some high school drama stuff?
no i dont lol?

citrus has weird offputting sexual stuff in it and if that puts you off it thats valid i just literally didnt know what scene you were referring to because your language and sentence structure were so weird

and also theres a difference between putting something in a show and approving of it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also :gas:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

:gas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

i vote: close it again