Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A Tin Of Beans posted:

i finally watched tiger and bunny and really liked it, it’s fun and good and charming. i liked all of the cast and the story stayed interesting but tbh the cast was the real draw so it woulda been fine either way. anyway it’s a good show.

The movie (Rising, the other one is a condensed version of the series) is also good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

I finally watched Seirei no Moribito, and my god was it fantastic. It felt like a love letter to those mid-century adaptations of classic Chinese / Japanese mythology, and Balsa is one of my favorite characters of all time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A Tin Of Beans posted:

i finally watched tiger and bunny and really liked it, it’s fun and good and charming. i liked all of the cast and the story stayed interesting but tbh the cast was the real draw so it woulda been fine either way. anyway it’s a good show.

Oh poo poo I forgot about Tiger and Bunny yeah that's a good one I watched this year and I like the dub a lot.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I caught up on Isekai Shokudou after Izekaya Nobu reminded me it existed, it was nice and comfy! I enjoyed how it combined the fantasy setting with the cooking genre. The lizardmen story, the dwarf story and the fairy story are good examples of this.

I also binged through Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju after it was brought up in the Kaguya anime thread. Compelling character drama, and now I'm really looking forward to watching Kaguya if they can match this quality. I really want to watch Season 2 as well but I don't think I'll be able to handle it immediately after going through the rollercoaster of emotions that was Season 1.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
idk about best but Twinkle Nora Rock Me is definitely the weirdest thing I've seen this year.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Can Of Worms posted:

I also binged through Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju after it was brought up in the Kaguya anime thread. Compelling character drama, and now I'm really looking forward to watching Kaguya if they can match this quality. I really want to watch Season 2 as well but I don't think I'll be able to handle it immediately after going through the rollercoaster of emotions that was Season 1.

As good as season 1 is, season 2 is undoubtedly the better season. It's my second favorite show of all time.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
ai city was pretty good

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I rewatched Seirei no Moribito and it's still the best anime ever made.

Also I watched a good chunk of Hidamari no Ki and that was also really good.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I'm glad to see people saying they've watched Seirei no Moribito, I absolutely love it. It and Twelve Kingdoms occupy a kind of "strong female lead" place for me which I haven't been able to fill since. I watched them fairly close to each other. Be warned though, 12 kingdoms get a little weird from what I remember. I still have such a weird fascination for the part where the protagonist goes on a psychotic rampage/evil for a short amount of time. It's so rare to see a legit female protagonist do it in anime.

As for me, my pickings have been few this year. I watched Armitage 3 and it's probably my favourite of the non-2018 ones I've watched (last) year. I watched Battle Angel Alita but it wasn't that special.

I've also been slowly going through Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam whenever I'm extremely bored but it isn't really gripping me and I'm around episode 20 now. It has short glimpses of brilliance and I really like some of the background/environmental design in the space stations, but generally speaking the anime feels just so dull.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 3, 2019

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

The movie (Rising, the other one is a condensed version of the series) is also good.

That would be accurate if the series was the first two episodes plus a bonus ep

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

That would be accurate if the series was the first two episodes plus a bonus ep

Ah, I had heard it was a recap so I didn't watch it. I guess it's even worse than that.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

Ah, I had heard it was a recap so I didn't watch it. I guess it's even worse than that.

I mean it’s just the first two episodes plus an original last third that’s basically another episode. So it’s better, since they didn’t have to choppily compress longer material into one hour.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dessel posted:

I've also been slowly going through Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam whenever I'm extremely bored but it isn't really gripping me and I'm around episode 20 now. It has short glimpses of brilliance and I really like some of the background/environmental design in the space stations, but generally speaking the anime feels just so dull.
I think the idea of Zeta Gundam is often better than Zeta Gundam itself is (I think most Tomino stuff is like this), though it has its moments. Kamille hijacking the Gundam Mk. II and laughing maniacally about it in the beginning of the show will always be with me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I watched a heck of a lot of movies this year but I'll get to posting about that when uhhh I have time to write things about a billion movies in the thread I made for that (spoiler: I don't know yet what non-2018 movie that I watched was the best, but I will give props to Tamala 2010 for being a movie that's gonna stick in my head for a long, long time). But other than that the non-2018 anime I watched that stuck out in my mind the most Ace of the Diamond. I've been going through one big baseball anime each year and while I'll readily admit that it's not up there with Touch or Major, it has a different enough focus that it was still worth the ride.

Something I really appreciated was the focus on the team as a whole. Major would generally only have 1-3 characters on the team besides the protagonist that would be significant in any way. In Touch the pitcher and the catcher might as well be the only players to exist. And hey that method works for what those shows aim to accomplish. Ace of the Diamond on the other hand goes with the more modern sports anime approach of having the talented but untrained protagonist eat poo poo while the more experienced players more than pull their weight until he gets good. Like a lot of those shows it sacrifices depth for breadth with its cast, giving each character a few traits for the viewer to cling on to. I know that sounds like a negative but I don't mean it in that way! Like most long shounen series it's an insurmountable task to give a lot to the characterization while also giving the viewer the slick action they've been craving whether it's slamming that energy beam to that bad guy's face or hitting a grand slam. This is a longer way of saying it's simple, but effective.

At least, it is until it hits a hiccup. The senior members of the team are bombastic and really help in carrying the show. They're tough, they're loud, and they add a lot of personality to the team as a whole. But time has to march on and the show reaches a point where they all leave the team and it never quite reaches those highs again, the people replacing them aren't necessarily bad but most of them don't get as much of a chance to shine as I'd like. It does pick up by the end of the series with an engaging match lasting 11 episodes, a nice end-cap to the show that manages to perfectly channel that shounen kind of ebb and flow to a fight, that back and forth, in just the right ways that left me a satisfied viewer. And as an aside about the animation of said action, it's not the prettiest anime but it manages to have a lot of solid framing of shots throughout and I feel like these days that's something I want more than fluid animation, in this strange hypothetical situation where I gotta choose one. One of the coolest things about watching a bunch of different baseball anime over the last few years has been seeing all of the various ways animation has been used to show just how fast that fastball was. Did you see how fast it was? I can't believe it.

Also this show sure took me awhile to watch! I had intended on binge-watching it through the summer but it was not meant to be as a lot of life stuff got in the way and kept staying in the way. But it's not all bad for my experience with the show, it feels fitting that for a sports anime my viewing experience consisted of watching it during morning stretches at 5 AM, while cooling off my leg from intensive biking sessions, or, once winter started, while on an exercise bike. Perhaps it was this repetition that helped me slowly but steadily stay on track with the show over the course of 6ish months.

I'm looking forward to the new series which happened to get announced while I was watching it (something that has happened to me with far too much media this year, I wish I could channel this power for my own selfish purposes). Though my attitude with long sports anime is that I have a way better time if it's all available when I start. I actually watched some of Ace of the Diamond many years ago when it was brand new, and I didn't dislike it but it's the sort of show that doesn't lend itself to weekly viewing so I fell off it. What I'm basically saying is, I'm looking forward to typing words about Ace of the Diamond, in January 2021.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dessel posted:

I'm glad to see people saying they've watched Seirei no Moribito, I absolutely love it. It and Twelve Kingdoms occupy a kind of "strong female lead" place for me which I haven't been able to fill since. I watched them fairly close to each other. Be warned though, 12 kingdoms get a little weird from what I remember. I still have such a weird fascination for the part where the protagonist goes on a psychotic rampage/evil for a short amount of time. It's so rare to see a legit female protagonist do it in anime.

As for me, my pickings have been few this year. I watched Armitage 3 and it's probably my favourite of the non-2018 ones I've watched (last) year. I watched Battle Angel Alita but it wasn't that special.

12 kingdoms is hard to get into because it takes like what, 8 episodes before the mc starts being tolerable? she does eventually shape up and become interesting and competent, but dang, those early episodes.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
isnt it unfinished too

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Relin posted:

isnt it unfinished too
Twelve Kingdoms is a strange beast in that, while Fuyumi Ono is still occasionally publishing stuff under the series name, you can watch the anime and it tells the story of Yoko to completion. Yoko is still involved in the story, but the 2 volumes published after the anime finished airing deal with short stories. Really badass short stories in places, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I rewatched Outlaw Star. It is still a stupidly fun pulp space fantasy.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

I spent most of the back half of the show waiting for the third-years to show up again, but something I appreciate is that it actually commits to having the third-years retire from the team after the summer. Every other modern sports show I've seen, which granted isn't an awful whole lot, always does some kind of fakeout thing where they stick around and keep playing despite their academic advisors saying it's a bad idea, but they gotta do it for the team! It makes the series feel more grounded and helps show how human relationships can evolve over a relatively short period of time.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

gently caress academic advisers. If they knew what they were talking about they would be doing literally anything else.

I watched a lot of lemons this year BUT Bunny Girl Senpai reminded me that the Monogatari series exists so I picked back up from where I left off two years. So the best show I saw this year that wasn't made in 2018 is Owarimonogatari. Ougi loving owns.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Y'know, I had maybe only one or two things in mind going into this thread, but reading through it has reminded me of a whole bunch of stuff I somehow forgot I watched earlier this year.

Tokyo Godfathers is perhaps the standout. Absolutely loved this film, and really cements Satoshi Kon up there as one of my favourite ever directors. I've not seen anything he's done that I've not liked, and it reminds me again that I really need to get around to watching Paranoia Agent.

March Comes in Like a Lion S1 is vying with Tokyo Godfathers for first, and it was really a bit of a toss-up. S2 was my favourite show of 2018, and I'm kicking myself for not getting into it sooner. Can't wait for more.

Finished Hanasaku Iroha very recently, since it was being removed from Crunchyroll at the end of the year. It's not up there with Shirobako, but was really solid nonetheless. I've heard there's a movie - is that a sequel, or just a series compilation movie?

Land of the Lustrous was an incredibly pretty show, and I never expected I'd be seeing CG meshed so well with 2D animation outside of the occasional movie. The show itself was pretty engrossing, though the ending fell a bit flat for me, feeling a bit like a sudden stop more than any kind of conclusion.

Welcome to the NHK! was another show that didn't really stick the landing, which was a shame because it had been largely excellent up to then. Main thing I'd like to draw attention to is the soundtrack though, which I'd happily buy were it not split across like five albums which you pretty much can't find anymore. So many good tracks.

It was something I rewatched with a friend who hadn't seen it yet, but I guess I'll mention it anyways: Evangelion is still so, so good.

Finally, I rewatched some of Chihayafuru, and it's as good as I remember. Roll on S3!

EDIT: Guess Legend of the Galactic Heroes is worth mentioning, though I'm hopelessly far from the end. It's been great so far!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dude absolutely watch Paranoia Agent. Its closer in tone to like Perfect Blue rather than Tokyo Godfathers (Which is great in its own right), but I think that show is the best thing Kon ever did.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Dude absolutely watch Paranoia Agent. Its closer in tone to like Perfect Blue rather than Tokyo Godfathers (Which is great in its own right), but I think that show is the best thing Kon ever did.

I already started it some time ago actually, I just never finished it. One of those awkward situations where I started watching it with a friend, then by the time we next met up it had been too long and we would've needed to start the show again. Definitely bumping it up the list though! Loved Perfect Blue and would be happy to watch something similar.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

smenj posted:

Finished Hanasaku Iroha very recently, since it was being removed from Crunchyroll at the end of the year. It's not up there with Shirobako, but was really solid nonetheless. I've heard there's a movie - is that a sequel, or just a series compilation movie?

The movie is not a sequel exactly, and it isn't a series compilation. More of a side story. If you liked the main series, you'll like the movie.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
gundam: reconguista in g has really bad pacing issues in the last 1/4 that really cramp up the arcs of a bunch of characters, with side characters like mashyu getting hit the absolute hardest, and luin just kind of... going from absolutely insane to pretty chill in the span of a minute after being defeated. it really feels like they had another 13 episodes planned out before realizing halfway through the second cour they weren't going to get them and instead decided to try and stuff it all into the last five episodes

despite that, though, it has some of the most memorable and likable characters i've seen in a gundam anime, and the absolutely bizarre bits of humor based in oddball character interaction and relationships were kept all the way to the end, and i really like how the show's themes about war and death ultimately echoes similar notes from turn-a in very different ways

overman king gainer is a show that i felt was pretty underappreciated for a long time, and after rewatching it i'm going to have to revise that: it's ridiculously underappreciated. for a show with an op that people love to post, i rarely see anyone talk about the actual writing or the show itself in general, and i really can't understand why that is. not only is king gainer one of the funniest shows i've seen, but it's a genuinely thoughtful and sometimes tragic story about apathy, depression and personal growth, and while there are definitely certain eps that are stronger than others it's a show with consistently weighty and expressive animation and direction in a way that i don't think i've seen in anything else, even among the other anime tomino's directed. i really can't recommend gainer enough

hanamonogatari is the best monogatari arc

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm pretty sure tomino outright said he wishes he could've given it more eps but just wasn't up for working on a significantly longer production given his age

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Helter Skelter posted:

Complete the trifecta with Flying Witch.

I loved this show and never watched the other 2

I want more flying witch

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

I spent most of the back half of the show waiting for the third-years to show up again, but something I appreciate is that it actually commits to having the third-years retire from the team after the summer. Every other modern sports show I've seen, which granted isn't an awful whole lot, always does some kind of fakeout thing where they stick around and keep playing despite their academic advisors saying it's a bad idea, but they gotta do it for the team! It makes the series feel more grounded and helps show how human relationships can evolve over a relatively short period of time.

Yeah same. Was real glad to see it come up with the best possible compromise and have them briefly hang around near the end in more of a mentor/team morale-building kind of role. I don't see them being around much in the future since the end of the series sure showed a bunch of incoming first-years so that will be a lot of characters to juggle, but I'm fine with them being out of the picture at that point since they have their own busy lives to lead after graduation.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I am very happy that the terrible show Goblin Slayer was created so that a thread was made here that motivated me to finally watch the infinitely superior Slayers. It reminded me of a time when I actually enjoyed anime and shows were fun to watch, and I could say it's really good without having to add a disclaimer like "as long as you ignore the creepy/boring/gross parts."

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

smenj posted:

I already started it some time ago actually, I just never finished it. One of those awkward situations where I started watching it with a friend, then by the time we next met up it had been too long and we would've needed to start the show again. Definitely bumping it up the list though! Loved Perfect Blue and would be happy to watch something similar.

It's my favorite anime ever. It's so easy to go blah with the premise or deliver something lackluster in the end, and instead the show delivered in every way possible.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

I am very happy that the terrible show Goblin Slayer was created so that a thread was made here that motivated me to finally watch the infinitely superior Slayers. It reminded me of a time when I actually enjoyed anime and shows were fun to watch, and I could say it's really good without having to add a disclaimer like "as long as you ignore the creepy/boring/gross parts."
tbh some of the sex/period jokes in slayers are kinda grody

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's important to give the shows of old we like(or used to like) a fair, contemporary shake to see how they stand the test of time and what at the time you thought was like "Oh, you silly goose :mmmhmm:" might make you cringe as an older goon. As Coxswain Balls did, thanks to the aforementioned thread for "Shows with Slayer in their name", I too decided to revisit Slayers and while some elements have most definitely not aged for the better, I'd say that overall is still a fairly fun watch. Haven't actually gone back to tackle Revolution/Evolution-R since I finished watching Try (which is a season of all original material), but since my daughter came to visit during the holidays, she brought me back several of the novel series I had lent her, including Slayers, so I'm currently re-reading them in my spare time. Hopefully my copy of the newest, 16th novel arrives soon. :woop:

Thanks to my :toxx: from last year, I also rewatched Slam Dunk which, while feeling a bit more dated, it was still an incredibly rewarding watch. On the other hand, I realized that my previous enjoyment of Ranma 1/2, while sincere, has since stopped. :(

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Endorph posted:

For me the most uncomfortable stuff was the thinly veiled homophobia in the one episode in the first season. It's never come up or been that blatant since so I'd like to think that they've been getting with the times.

otoh Lina kicking herself in the junk with magic vis-a-vis sacking Gourry will never stop making me laugh like a dumbass. The show has just the right kind of immaturity that appeals to my inner ten year old without being super creepy.

https://i.imgur.com/DFGiBVm.gifv

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 8, 2019

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Lemon-Lime posted:

I rewatched Seirei no Moribito and it's still the best anime ever made.

WARNING: Seirei no Moribito is a slice of life anime with *glacial* pacing and the rare fight thrown in.

If you go into this thinking that you're going to get lots of fights, you're gonna have a bad time.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

buzmeg posted:

WARNING: Seirei no Moribito is a slice of life anime with *glacial* pacing and the rare fight thrown in.

If you go into this thinking that you're going to get lots of fights, you're gonna have a bad time.

I really disagree on the pacing (it's contemplative but there's a lot of stuff happening all the time with multiple plot threads across multiple groups of characters all investigating the same central mystery), but yes, it's not battle anime.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Also I didn't watch the whole thing in 2018 but I'm declaring it technically counts anyway because it's good:

I watched Iria Zeiram the Animation, which is a 6-episode mid-90s OVA made as a tie-in to the 1994 sequel (Zeiram 2) to a 1991 cheesy sci-fi action/horror/comedy film (Zeiram). You'd expect it to suck as a result but it's actually really good!

Unlike the films (which are set on Earth because hey, that's cheap), it's set on Iria's home planet which has a bunch of cool bamboo-based/chanbara-film-inspired technology like gyrocopters with an oil-paper umbrella as the rotor assembly, or hovertanks that have giant bamboo cannons. Iria is a good lead with a great design, and she fights with an assortment of specialised gadgets and a workmanlike attitude that really helps sell the setting as believably "real" to me.

The main plot features her stumbling into a conspiracy to bring the titular Zeiram (an immortal alien warrior who just vagabonds around space murdering people) to her home planet to try to find a way to turn it into a controllable weapon.

I picked this up totally on a whim because the opening was cool and I really like Iria's design, but was really pleasantly surprised by how solid it is.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Been making my way slowly through Girls Last Tour and wow, it has not lost any of it's beautiful melancholy. I just finished the episode on Ishii's airplane and I think it hit even harder this time around.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

buzmeg posted:

sounds good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the few fights it has are usually fairly long and incredibly well done so, it's fine

they basically hook you with one in the first few episodes and then in the wind down you start to buy into the slower pace and exploration of all sides of the "conflict"