Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

The fact that I never heard of the Live Action Cinderella remake until you guys brought it up late last thread even though it's apparently the best of the disney live action remakes says something. Not sure what, but something.

They barely advertised it at all, it was pretty easy to miss if you don't pay relatively close attention to Disney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Looper posted:

yeah we were looking at showtimes and saw that and my gf went from somewhat interested to "NOPE nope never seeing this"

If it makes you and everyone else feel better: new Broly stuff means that Vic Mignogna's vocal cords are getting loving owned

Dude apparently never learned to scream properly, so every single time he does Broly he fucks up his vocal cords crazy bad

e: I always take joy in thinking about how bad the Broly voice hurts him to do, because he is a piece of goddamned poo poo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy gently caress DB Super: Broly owned

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Incredibles 2 will probably lose, between the Lasseter stuff, Bird tepidly defending Lasseter, and the seizure scene.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The last of those is more the clincher than the first two; the Lasseter stuff's gonna be hit and miss whether they care, at best, but basically losing the vote of anyone who has a kid with epilepsy is gonna hurt it. Spider-Verse didn't have the same issue, so I think it's a solid non-Pixar dark horse.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

Next year, right? Since it released in the states in January or is the academy all kinds of hosed up with timing?

Yeah, Broly would be eligible for Best Animated in 2019. It also genuinely better at least get a loving nomination, because that movie was insanely good, one of the best Dragon Ball things ever, and deserves some kind of serious credit for it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Vic Mignogna is a pile of garbage, but I take solace in the fact that he literally always hurts his vocal cords playing Broly because he never learned to scream properly (and apparently STILL hasn't).

The role is basically an excuse for Funi to abuse him for a few hours every few years and that owns.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's kind of funny how the two opinions on Your Name that exist in the world are "HOLY gently caress BEST MOVIE EVER" or "it's absolute poo poo from a butt" with almost no middle ground

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Mann posted:

That's how most people feel about anime in general, and most of the praise for Your Name came from anime fans who were delighted to signal boost something that was superficially getting acceptance and legitimacy even if everyone else was just rolling their eyes at "Freaky Friday with panty shots and underaged masturbation jokes and completely unearned apocalyptic stakes and a script that takes an avalanche of citations about Japanese honoriffics and gender pronouns to even parse in English".

i'm... gonna be honest, the way you characterize it is actually the total opposite of my experience

like i've typically seen anime-unaware and anime-averse people saying Your Name loving rules, whereas it's mostly people who are Extremely Into Animation (Japanese or otherwise) who loving hate it

e: also I'm just gonna say I think goons somehow got exclusive access to the XXX Too Hot For TV version of Your Name based on some of the specific complaints about it.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 24, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
most anime isn't nearly that pretty and, as I alluded to with my edit, Your Name is prudish by anime standards

like it has a bit where the female lead looks at herself in the mirror in underwear, and a couple bits early on where the characters go "oh poo poo I have bits I used to not have!" and poke at them in shock. that is the full extent of Your Name's sexual content. it is a PG-rated movie in the US, and i'm inclined to say that sounds about right; there's jokes in American kids' movies that i find more objectionable, frankly, like the weird nut-inspection bit in that Show Dogs movie.

meanwhile, Dragon Ball, an anime we all grew up with that you'd have to be really sheltered to call "weird perv poo poo" and expect people to broadly agree, has fuckin' Master Roshi in it, whose sole personality trait is "horniest elderly man alive."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Beachcomber posted:

Hi. I don't know who Broly is and I never finished illegally downloading the Cell saga 15 years ago in college. Also, the lack of Bruce Faulconer music kind of throws me off.

Is this movie for me?

Yes. Outside of a couple meta jokes, there's no need to know who Broly is prior (and not knowing the character beforehand might make the movie even better).

Regarding music, DBS: Broly's score is kind of out of the ordinary for the franchise, and I'd call it a middle ground between Faulconer and the original stylistically. You'll dig it if you're a Faulconer fan.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That said, you should really at least wikipedia through the post-Cell canon material, because one thing from the Buu saga (the Fusion Dance) is a huge deal in the movie and not super well-explained, and the movie makes a bunch of offhanded references to stuff from Super that'll leave you extremely lost if you're unfamiliar.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Mann posted:

So does ADTRW have a Dragonball megathread full of posts about Western animation or what.

It's almost like this is a thread for talking about animated movies

Y'know. The thing that DBS: Broly is

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I dunno, I always kind of liked her? Her design is nice and her interactions with Woody were cute, she's definitely not a detriment to any of the Toy Story stuff she's been in.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Robindaybird posted:

Apparently part of it is that for some ungodly reason the Execs at Funi really, really likes him and he exploited his fanatical fanbase to go after people trying to bring up his creepy behavior. That's the worst part of it, he's exploiting naive, and often socially awkward teenage girls to accept parties in his hotel and tear down other girls trying to point out that he's a creep.

Now that people in the industry are the ones talking people are finally doing something about it. I hope Funi realize their pet VA needs to be taken behind the shed so to speak.

It's actually a very godly reason. Gen Fukunaga, the founder of Funimation, is good friends with Rick Santorum and Funimation used to share office space with a Christian media company run by Fukunaga and Santorum. Mignogna, meanwhile, is super openly a fundamentalist Christian.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If Funi drops him, I'm gonna assume that either it was Sony's call or the heat just got too high for Fukunaga to keep his Jesus buddy around, yeah.

e: I should note that simuldubs of shows nobody's ever heard of aren't the important part here. Keep an eye on future DBZ stuff and future Fullmetal Alchemist stuff and see if Broly and Ed get new voices; that'll be the true test.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Uh, that'd be really weird in a children's movie.

er... not really? like, something similar to the Matrix joke in Lego 2 would have worked fine, "you'll understand this emoji when you're a teenager" or something

and it would have made One Million Moms and similar groups exactly as butthurt as a direct mention of sexting would

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

No, best line is the part at the start of end of eva where someone shoots a guy in the head and it makes a comical tomato splorching noise as a massive blood splatter sprays across the wall

Thank you ADV

that was Manga Entertainment, who have a very long and storied history of doing poo poo like that. I legit don't even think that was Amanda Winn-Lee, despite the Evageeks meme that she somehow hates the series and wants it to fail and wants Eva fans to suffer.

e: usually Manga's calls in this regard were better, though. they also dubbed goon favorite Cyber City Oedo 808, and replaced the entire score with a way more electronic (and frankly cooler-sounding) one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

sorry, remembered the wrong Anime Company That Sucks.

it would ordinarily be a non-issue, except the entire fandom has basically made your mistake and has blamed ADV for a dub that they weren't involved with (and Amanda Winn-Lee for a decision that probably wasn't directly hers)

ADV largely did really, really well by Evangelion; the series dub, unlike the movie dub, doesn't add anything wonky or gently caress up any translations in important ways.

e: also, Manga Entertainment actually owns and the EoE changes are like the only bad call they ever made in translation. Ninja Scroll, the original Ghost in the Shell, and the various Street Fighter 2/Alpha anime all have loving fantastic dubs, and even a lot of their B-tier stuff still holds up.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 23, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FilthyImp posted:

Iirc, the EoE commentary has her pointing out that scene and saying they wanted to punch up the sound. And needed to add "Hit em Again!".

Possibly because US audiences couldnt go 2 seconds without 'effects'.

As a goofy goony teen the dub got me irrationally angry, especially Shinji's Ghost Boooooone poo poo on the commentary tracks
But now I realize it was probably job #25 on their plate so whatevs.

as an adult the commentary tracks are beyond loving hilarious

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ALFbrot posted:

They also do that in, say, anime episode titles. The recap will play and resume the tension of the previous episode's cliffhanger, and then it'll jump into a title card that says poo poo like "HEROIC TRAGEDY!! THE DEATH OF TSUNEDA"

Japan also likes to gently caress with people in episode titles. Mazinger Z has an episode called "Kouji Kabuto Dies In Lava," in which Kouji Kabuto does not die in lava.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

I love LotGH. I've been watching the remake with my girlfriend, who never saw the original. I explicitly told her not to look into any of it because she might run into spoilers. Well, she was telling her friend about the show, went and googled her favorite character's name and found out he died. :negative:

Kircheis...

I feel like LoGH isn't really hurt by knowing who dies, just because the answer to that question is "the vast majority of the cast"

Specifics on how, when, and why, though, yeah, that's not good

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Man, Addams Family looks fuckin' cute.

Maybe I'm just being kind to it because it's the earliest teaser for a kids' movie, and is gonna naturally focus harder on the broadest jokes than anything else, but they were nice jokes. The bit with Gomez, Puggsley and Fester had me confused for a moment, but then I straight-up belly laughed when I realized they were playing Battleship with real explosives.

Morticia sounds on-point, and while Wednesday sounds flat, it's an affect that suits the character decently enough.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
THANKS FOR WATCH

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wizards loving rules.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

And vinyl was passe' in 1989. The Overmind should have loaded up a compact disc.

...? CDs were just then starting to get huge, vinyl and tapes were both still very much alive

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also: hot take but maybe a show about that kind of stuff in 2019 isn't really the greatest idea

like conspiracy theories are pretty much 95% nazi bullshit now

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
ok, weird Thanos gimmick account

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Lol if you won't watch a show taking the piss on q anon

see, if it's taking the piss on qanon that's cool and good, but if it's just straight up "here's a wacky show about what if qanon was right" i can not see that ending very well even if everyone involved with the show is on the level

e: like, the danger of poking crazy people is that they tend to respond by doing crazy people things, and the current crop of crazy people are real pieces of poo poo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Das Boo posted:

I may or may not have seen an early cut of what may or may not have been Amusement Park and the mom may or may not have definitely died in that version.

I do definitely work on the TV show, can't deny that one.

Don't NDAs usually expire by the time the movie's actually out, or does this movie being a complete clusterfuck add any wrinkles to that?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

The direction the comics take cybertronians is real good. Basically they are considered a galactic plague largely due to robot hitler (megatron) genociding all organic life he finds, and the autobot-decepticon war has been going on for 4 million years now. The transformers landing on earth in the IDW reboot was considerably more severe, with multiple cities being obliterated and over a billion people killed before the decepticons were pushed back. Humanity pillaged the cybertronian wreckage and significantly upgraded their technology to repel any further incursions, and an entire galactic federation of organic races was formed to eliminate cybertronians, decepticon OR autobot.

And then the war ended, and thundercracker became a shut-in on earth with a pet dog and he writes extremely terrible romance novels based entirely on his interpretations of human television while hot rod led a robot star trek ramshackle crew on a wild goose chase across the galaxy, it's very good

None of it will ever be animated sadly

I have no idea why Hasbro doesn't just commission a James Roberts-written series for Netflix or something

Don't have it be in direct continuity with the comics, but give him carte blanche to carry over as much as he wants, and only good things will result

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So it's the latter, more or less, possibly compounded by the movie being technically a theatrically-released pilot depending on how they're classifying it internally.

Huh. Woof.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think Hasbro really wants to bother much with something they can't guarantee all the kids will watch and want to buy toys for. The comics are 100% by the nerds for the nerds and they know it.

Also, regarding this, I'd see it as less for the kids, and more a way to make Transformers a more generally respectable franchise among the parents.

You'll notice parents who are into a Nerd Thing have a weird tendency to try very hard to get their kids into that Nerd Thing. Star Wars is probably the most socially acceptable to do this with, but you also see it with LotR, Final Fantasy, Marvel/DC... pretty much any nerd-adjacent franchise that's gone on long enough that multiple generations have been exposed to it, gets this happening.

Following from this, if they have adult-targeted (albeit still reasonably kid-appropriate) Transformers stuff coming out that gets adults nutty about that IP, adults are more likely to get their kids into it. And given Hasbro's already got kid-targeted stuff locked down, pretty much, I really can't see any outcome of this other than "they rake in hilarious amounts of money."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't like the movies, I am sure you don't like the movies, no one with any nerd cred at all has ever liked the movies and they are all a punchline as worst series ever but the transformers movies are widely successful and are that adult targeted version of transformers.

see, that's the thing, they're really not. the first four points are instructive here; adults tend to loving hate the Transformers movies, which isn't exactly energizing them to go buy their kids a whole bunch of Transformers crap. they're pretty much targeted squarely at preteens/teens, honestly, and while they've had success there, it's been limited to specifically stuff based off the movies rather than the franchise as a whole.

when I say adults, I mean adults. I want them to make the kind of thing that could reasonably get nominated for a bunch of awards and make people go "wait, what the gently caress, Transformers is good now?" and, if not abandon the To Sell Toys mentality entirely, stop forcing it so much to the detriment of the show's quality. hell, Bumblebee didn't do great financially, but it's the most positive I've seen anyone be about a piece of TF media in 12 loving years and it basically tried to do this; this is less a radical shift in direction, and more staying the course on the radical shift they already made.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It wouldn't have made sense for him to be, like, freaking out like "OH poo poo GWEN'S ALIIIIIIVE"

But like, it would have totally worked for him to notice that Gwen is... Gwen and not an alternate Peter, and be like "huh, that's different, wonder how her Peter's doing"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, uh, what? People have loving loved Miles since he was introduced. Badly marketed, sure, but the whole reason they keep trying to make him A Thing in the other continuities is because the small niche of people who kept up with USM all adored the little guy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Because the aesthetics of the 90s are absolutely tacky as poo poo in every possible way, were tacky even at the time, and need to die.

Like, there's good stuff that came out of the decade obviously, but the decade as a whole absolutely sucked in many ways, especially for art and culture.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Aside from the sometimes incredibly garish color schemes (a thing I particularly hate about 90s aesthetics), Klasky-Csupo was not the problem, honestly.

Like, everyone talks about how 80s "synthwave" stuff has so much loud and garish neon, but it's not pastel neon. It's bold, not eye-searing. 90s pastels were eye-searing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Calaveron posted:

It's just so energetic. Like the characters never stop moving and morphing and skipping to the beat of the wonderful soundtrack. It's hard to believe that it was made in flash, since flash cartoons tend to be lovely badly posed and tweened models

Actually, no, Flash makes that kind of thing way easier if you use the tweening tools properly. Particularly, you'd want to do the art as vectors within Flash, and shape tween them with the keyframes matched as closely as possible to the beat. :eng101:

(Tigtone was probably done in either Flash or Toon Boom.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm gonna be honest, I feel like the point of the spam stuff was to draw a parallel to real-life jobs that can be kind of distasteful. We all loving hate telemarketer calls, but that doesn't mean call center workers are all literally Satan, you know?