Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

here is a thread for when you end up using the other os for your telephone. we shall document the ways in which YOS is a POS. my android phone totally died or something, so now im on day 2 of using a timbphone that a nice friend lent me while i argue with my carrier about them replacing the dead one

it's weird man. ive been using ios regularly for over a year since i got a work-issued ipad, but that thing has a keyboard case and we just use them for basic paperwork, so it's basically like using a slightly eccentric mac. this is a whole other thing

the first thing that i learned is that apple has somehow managed to top android in designing a complicated and unintuitive volume control system. the second thing i learned is that the ios keyboard has at least as many grating behavioral quirks as all the android keyboards

some of the scrolling behaviors in ios are a bit more consistent. this kind of balances out that there are also more things where you tap and there's no progress bar/pinwheel so i have to sit there for a few seconds wondering if my tap didn't register or the network is slow or (???)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
??? volume control is literally 2 buttons on the side of the phone. unless you have those set for ringer volume, for some reason, but why would you need anything other than full volume/vibrate

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i have an iphone xs and ios is extremely loving bad, op.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
my work phone is an iphone and my personal phone is an android, so i use both pretty much every day i'm at work.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the worst of both worlds

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

??? volume control is literally 2 buttons on the side of the phone. unless you have those set for ringer volume, for some reason, but why would you need anything other than full volume/vibrate

actually i think i'm just paranoid i have it set up wrong and will miss some incoming work messages before i figure it out. guess i'll be :f5:-ing tomorrow morning

e: shagger you got the big version, right?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i had android log time ago it sucked

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i had an android and now i have an ihpone

the iphone is better, sorry. mostly i dont feel like every feature is an excuse to collect my data + I don't feel like I have to spend hours scrutinizing every app i install.

UI seems kinda the same, although this one works better with my other apple devices wheras androids work great wiht your linux desktop lol

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
i've used both and they're fine with their own sets of minor annoyances that i can overlook because i'm not autistic

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

my bitter bi rival posted:

i had android log time ago it sucked

same i switched back to a flip phone for a couple years after using one, iPhone is so much better

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

actually i think i'm just paranoid i have it set up wrong and will miss some incoming work messages before i figure it out. guess i'll be :f5:-ing tomorrow morning

e: shagger you got the big version, right?

no I got the normal one cause the xs maxx is way too big. the button layout is another disaster. they should put the wake button under your thumb and move the volume to that side as well.

also the camera bump is totally unforgivable. its a lovely camera and its the worst bump of any phone.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I want my windows phone homescreen back.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i have a cheap chinese android head unit in my crappy old car

it is a good place for anroids

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

r u ready to WALK posted:

i have a cheap chinese android head unit in my crappy old car

it is a good place for anroids

the tape deck in my buick crapped out. i shopped around for different head units and poo poo but in the end i just decided to get a refurb delco unit, pre-modified with a 3.5mm jack. it's slightly more than a regular new head unit, but i don't have to buy any harness adapters or control modules to make the steering wheel controls work, so it's ultimately cheaper.

i tell myself that with my bigger phone i can actually just play music off of it and not bother with the ipod anymore, but i know i'll probably just keep using the ipod b/c it's already got music on it and i'm too lazy to put music on my phone

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

ios has a lot of really dumb gestures. why do half of the OS-janitoring gestures have multiple ways to do them, and the other half are modal and might not work if an app has overridden(?) it

e: i did find the "shortcuts" app which is kinda neat. i made a dumb widget gives a text dialog saying how long it takes to drive home rn haha

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 2, 2019

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

no

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Lutha Mahtin posted:

ios has a lot of really dumb gestures. why do half of the OS-janitoring gestures have multiple ways to do them, and the other half are modal and might not work if an app has overridden(?) it

ios has this really weird divide where basic things are easy but then as soon as you get even slightly advanced it's 100% arcane undiscoverable gestures

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

ios notifications drive me crazy every day. i'm gonna buy a pixel 3 soon i think

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

mostly i dont feel like every feature is an excuse to collect my data

yeah I'm sure Apple is passing up on that wildly lucrative revenue stream

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

ios notifications drive me crazy every day. i'm gonna buy a pixel 3 soon i think

i am genuinely confused about how ios notifications are worse than android. makes no sense to me. but holy loly do you really want to subject yourself to the pix3? iirc that sucker comes preinstalled with multiple scratches on the back of the phone

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i am genuinely confused about how ios notifications are worse than android. makes no sense to me. but holy loly do you really want to subject yourself to the pix3? iirc that sucker comes preinstalled with multiple scratches on the back of the phone

there's like 50 reasons but there's two big ones. on ios i feel like i'm fighting a losing battle micromanaging my notification settings. every day i seem to get a new mystery notification i have to dig into a menu seven clicks deep to turn off, if i can ever figure out what it is. the other is that every ios app has most of it's important controls at the top of the screen right where notifications pop in. i either have to dismiss the notification (and hope it was garbage) or get interrupted. on android notifications appear in the same spot but almost no android apps use that space for anything important. controls are usually at the bottom. i can just ignore the notification until i'm done what i was doing

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I thought I'd try out ios several months ago and on the whole it's slightly more irritating to me than android but also slightly less broken and glitchy, so for now ios is winning by a small margin. it took nearly 5 years for the touchscreen to go haywire on my old nexus so hopefully this iphone SE still works after that long.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I use watchOS op, it suits my needs.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i use my iphone for shitposting on sa and taking calls from recruiters

very needs suiting

i also turned off almost all notifications to preserve my sanity and boy did it work. If you feel stressed out or looking at your phone constantly turn those suckers off or to a minimum

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

is it still possible on android to have that really old style of behavior, where it just blanked the menu bar for a second and showed the notification text? i just remembered that that's how it worked on ancient androids, and really i think i'd prefer that to how either os does it now, with the popover dialogs

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
how do i run firefox os on my iphone

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
pro tip: when you install an iOS app and it asks you for permission to send notifications, choose “no”.

work gave me an android for development. their version of scrolling inertia is not consistent and i find it jarring. the camera app is laggy as hell, I don’t know how people use these things for taking pictures. also apps crash all the time.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

not consistent and i find it jarring. the camera app is laggy as hell

that pretty much sums up my android experience and why i switched to ios

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Management posted:

work gave me an android for development. their version of scrolling inertia is not consistent and i find it jarring. the camera app is laggy as hell, I don’t know how people use these things for taking pictures. also apps crash all the time.

the android camera app is really fast actually

compared to how slow it used to be

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

android getting on my nerves proper, missing wp badly

i think i'll next just make the suffering appear to carry meaning by getting a purism or jolla phone and *actually* cj it with perl scripts

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i know this is the 'phone' os thread but i had to go look up tablets in response to a "hey i want tablet" request and lol goddamn the android tablet market is just zero effort across the board. nobody's even pretending to stay current on android OS and it looks like the market basically collapsed a few years ago.

"just get ipad" yeah well that's more money and the use case is just "websites and youtube" so whatever

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i know this is the 'phone' os thread but i had to go look up tablets in response to a "hey i want tablet" request and lol goddamn the android tablet market is just zero effort across the board. nobody's even pretending to stay current on android OS and it looks like the market basically collapsed a few years ago.

"just get ipad" yeah well that's more money and the use case is just "websites and youtube" so whatever

this except ipads too

tablets are bad

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the regular iPad is frequently on sale for like $250 and is great for that price.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Boiled Water posted:

i use my iphone for shitposting on sa and taking calls from recruiters

very needs suiting

i also turned off almost all notifications to preserve my sanity and boy did it work. If you feel stressed out or looking at your phone constantly turn those suckers off or to a minimum

I feel like iOS is way better on the disabling app notifications part. last time I had an Android, they made that a pain in the rear end

however I miss the home button and Touch ID though. the touch gestures are kind of difficult to figure out and swiping to go to the home screen or other apps sucks way more then just double clicking a button

what I appreciate though is that if a feature is supported, it’s supported. Android is full of this broken promise bullshit where it says it can do something, but sometimes really it can’t. like Bluetooth file transfer, that poo poo has never worked on an android, but the airdrop feature has always worked

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ios notification persistence is annoying as gently caress. like I don't care about an apple ipay transaction from a week ago. why is it still in my list?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

I used an iPhone 4s for about 3 years, then bought a sony z3 compact.

had that for only 2 weeks until I said gently caress it, got an iPhone 6, and returned the Sony. I used the 6 for 3 years and then got an 8.

there was a lot of little poo poo I didn't like in android. but ah, that's the great thing, you can more easily change stuff, like you can replace the launcher! great! except I found myself wanting to replace drat near everything and that just turns into an utter clusterfuck (oh this launcher doesn't have lock screen music controls, great).

gently caress all that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i had an anroid in 2010 and after the first week it delted all of my text messages and sometimes the phone wouldn't stop ringing even when i swiped to answer the call. the camera was awful and the OS felt like a stuttery fuckin mess. first impressions are hard to overcome.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

i didnt know you could do that but it always made me mad. neat.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the weird part of iOS is how it’s perfectly migrated my settings across multiple devices, so I don’t know what’s default or not anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

My Linux Rig posted:

I feel like iOS is way better on the disabling app notifications part. last time I had an Android, they made that a pain in the rear end

android has had OS level notification veto power for a while now. the last version or so has a system where app makers can report to the OS each type of notification their app makes, so that the user can configure them via the OS settings app. you can probably guess how well this is supported outside of stock AOSP/Google apps