Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MiddleOne posted:

So, we have any good shows coming out in January?

New series of Luther starts in about half an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What is Gillian Anderson's "natural" accent?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Being a bit behind the times, I've only just got round to the Young Offenders Christmas special. It was pretty good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if we'll ever go back and do a post-MeToo re-revision of Michael Jackson, or if his legacy is basically secure now.

Edit: Wasn't the second or third ever episode of Boondocks about R. Kelly? Adam West was his defence attorney.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 6, 2019

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Essentially, but he was gay instead of a pedophile which opens a whole other can of worms...

Sorry, are you talking about Michael Jackson or the Boondocks episode?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As I recall, that one ends with Oprah becoming president.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best Queen movie is their Montreal concert film (the 2007 version, though, not the 1981 version) because it captures the band at their peak, just after "Under Pressure" but just before Hot Space.

I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody because I have a hard time taking musician biopics seriously post-Walk Hard.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I assume the Sun City thing isn't covered in Bohemian Rhapsody?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I never got was the "Queen is the world's first fascist rock band" which was a bit of a meme in the music press in the 1970s, well before they were under fire for performing in South Africa. I don't know if it was a punk rock thing or if there was something underlying it that I just don't know about the band members themselves.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The weirdest thing is that the song "Innuendo" of all songs was a number-one hit single for them.

The most underrated Queen album is probably Jazz. I think it's most overlooked because the singles from it ("Bicycle Race", "Fat-Bottomed Girls" and "Don't Stop Me Now") aren't really anybody's favourites but the deep cuts like "Mustapha", "If You Can't Beat Them" and "Dead On Time" are great.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 7, 2019

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like ones that are described as having been "live favourites" in their day but are almost forgotten now.

e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spm5-SXo4Do

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Gary Oldman used to be very anti-Golden Globes. I don't know if he's changed his mind now that he's won.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

It actually doesn't seem terribly conspiratorial to think that the award shows put on by the same industry that are handing out awards to themselves end up being largely about glad handing, connections, bribes, and messaging. Like, that just kind of seems like a natural course of events and doesn't even strike me as that damning. "Best Picture" is a purely subjective notion and the film industry is gonna have a different opinion a lot of times than SA even if no one got paid for it or had a steak dinner.

Harvey Weinstein was notorious for ploughing tons of his company's money into promoting Best Picture campaigns for movies he produced. Shakespeare In Love is an infamous example because he was so blatant about it and also because it beat out the favourite for the year (Saving Private Ryan).

But obviously it goes all the way back to the very start of industry awards. They came up with the Oscars to congratulate themselves but they managed to get a bit less obvious over time. Even so, there's that one book about the birth of "New Hollywood" which centres around the five movies nominated for Best Picture in 1967: Bonnie & Clyde; In the Heat of the Night; The Graduate; Guess Who's Coming to Dinner; and... Dr Dolittle, which looks very out of place next to the rest of them because it was the subject of a concerted behind-the-scenes campaign to get it nominated.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Adding to the pile-on:

Shortly before it was released, I read a BBC article which said that a lot of R. Kelly's former collaborators like Lady Gaga, Céline Dion, Jay-Z and Erykah Badu had been approached to be involved but declined to participate, even though several of them have also been publicly critical of him. John Legend was on it but I believe he's been anti-R. Kelly for some time.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Kids who think Jake Paul is the poo poo don't know that those videos are easily faked.

I don't really understand the appeal of most YouTube celebrities, but I thought this guy had been blacklisted for making videos with corpses or something?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
All these YouTube idiots are interchangeable to me. I saw that two of them had a (sanctioned?) boxing match and it was the lead item on the BBC News entertainment and arts page. I don't understand this. Why is two YouTube guys having a boxing match considered that newsworthy? Maybe it was for charity. I don't know. The one I really don't get is PewDiePie and I imagine it's because I'm too old (I'm 27, which is not old, but is apparently too old). I can't understand the appeal.

So what do Jake Paul and Logan Paul actually do that's gotten them so many fans? What's their gimmick? Do they talk about movies? Games? Do they play pranks on people?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian posted:

I am genuinely really shocked that Wheat Loaf is younger than me, I thought you were like in your mid-40s

Haha, really?

Well, don't let Peter Wyngarde fool you.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EL BROMANCE posted:

I believe it was ?uest Love who said he specifically declined because they wanted him to be one of the people who talked about his genius at the beginning.

Understandable.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Just like Hit Em High was a collection of hip hop greats, the theme for Skate Jam would most likely have been a collaboration by some early 00's super stars.

You gotta put the "ska" back in "Skate"!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dave Matthews Band came and showed violinists that they too could be in a rock or rock-like band; ska did the same for trombonists.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Between all the boy bands, ska and the swing revival, the turn of the century was loving dire

Imagine being in college, there is no Tinder and every date is swing dancing

But surely Nickelback was right around the corner promising to "bring back rock and roll"! :v:

Fun fact: the number-one single on Billboard which welcomed in the new millennium was "Smooth" by Santana ft. the guy from Matchbox 20.

:rock:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Huh, that song's 20 years old this year.

Is there a cut-off point for a song to stop being "modern"? I feel like it's tricky with music because the "in" sound of pop music keeps changing. That song sounds like it's from 1999 and I don't think there's anything in the charts today that sounds like it.

I'm probably just splitting hairs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

I was gonna say that literally the only genre with no redeeming bands is nu-metal but then I remembered that The Deftones were fuckin great

How about whatever genre Brokencyde is in?

(This post coming at you from the year 2009.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Also Chino (the lead singer) has had multiple side projects including one with Zach Hill and the guy from Pinback, one with some of the members of ISIS, a solo witch house project, etc.

This threw me for a minute.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like the Craig Charles Funk & Soul Show on BBC 6 Music because I enjoy him as a DJ. I appreciate his enthusiasm for the music. Less so with stuff on the main channels like BBC Radio 1 and Radio 2, which I don't really listen to any more, but genre-specific radio shows can benefit a lot from a presenter who really loves the music they're playing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DivisionPost posted:

Hey, we were talking about the 90s being oldies? I just walked into a supermarket and heard “Iris,” and I immediately needed to sit down.

In fairness that song was an "oldie" when it was new.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lycus posted:

Let me guess, the director was a teenager in 1991.

Just about!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's an odd-looking filmography.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has any comedy ever been considered "prestige" television?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Going to watch this soon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jennifer Connelly was also Paul Bettany's teenage crush from when he saw her in Labyrinth when he was 15. He managed to go one better than most, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bring back old gbs posted:

ehhhhhh, according to them. Netflix has a pretty big financial motivation making sure they not only have the BIGGEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR but also proving to bigger names that its not shameful to do direct to streaming movies now

Though at the same time, don't they have that Alfonso Cuaron movie that's getting raves and could potentially be the first Netflix movie to be nominated for Best Picture? it seems to me that they could be leaning into that rather than encouraging dangerous behaviour which is only going to get them bad press.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember the ill-fated Ironside reboot from about 10 years ago (probably less) with Blair Underwood in the lead role?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

Can't wait for the Chris Pratt Matlock reboot.

Chris Pratt's already doing the Saint reboot.

Edit: I'm actually pretty interested in the Avengers reboot that Shane Black and Fred Dekker say they're doing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

In those leaked Sony e-mails one of the powerful producers called that Cleopatra movie a lovely vanity project and that Angelina Jolie was a trainwreck. Man I love hackers.

She just didn't like their notes recommending that Cleopatra should be an EDM DJ who's into Tough Mudder.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Terry Crews.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's sort of amusing to me that Solo potentially has the fewest degrees of separation from George Lucas because I'm fairly sure Lucas asked Kasdan to write him a Han Solo movie back in 2012 just before he sold his company.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Someone should have challenged Trump that he couldn't eat all of that junk in one sitting and his ego wouldn't let him not at least try, probably while tweeting things like "I have the GREATEST digestive system of ANY president!" and "CROOKED HILLARY wouldn't have been able to eat all this REAL AMERICAN FOOD like I am!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine Trump sitting at his desk in the Oval Office addressing the nation while eating a Big Mac with ketchup and mustard stains round his mouth and down his shirt front.

:911:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
X-O should probably revert to the previous thread title. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

I forget what his position on the prequels is sure.

He is very strongly pro-prequels but I think he also likes the new movies as well, which is almost unique these days. :v: