Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

It's nearly 2019 and Piz is still the worst guy Veronica Mars ever dated!

They were all terrible. Veronica probably should've dated Mac, Wallace, or Weevil

but I liked Piz the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

YOU ARE HISTORYS GREATEST MONSTER

When the choices are Logan or Piz, choose the guy who can maybe get you in with Terry Gross, and not the one who looks like he's wearing a badly fitting Halloween costume when he's in his dress whites.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Dave Matthews Band came and showed violinists that they too could be in a rock or rock-like band; ska did the same for trombonists.

Fun fact, Dave Matthews Band no longer has a violinist. (He was a creepy sex pest and got fired a year ago)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx0raCdepfw

This is the one that pisses me off

If you or a loved one have been exposed to Gold Dust Women, you may be entitled to compensation.

Those side effect disclaimers are self-parodies at this point

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I mean the always dying angle makes it sounds more to me like that movie Happy Death Day, which I never saw and is apparently getting a sequel.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

I think with the almost universal praise, awards, reviews and lesbian themed fan art. You'd be in the minority, chum.

I've watched an episode and a half, and it didn't grab me. I found the assassin lady aggressively sociopathic in a way that felt forced, but I might've been in the wrong headspace to enjoy the show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Vanderdeath posted:

I grew up liking The Bends because it was my first Radiohead album but nowadays I'd probably rate the King of Limbs over it.

Fake Plastic Trees 4 life

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It's a bunch of college students being given free fast food, of course they're going to be all over that poo poo.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I've been rewatching BSG along with Tricia Helfer and Marc Bernandin's podcast, and man I forgot how good that first season was.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'd say the strike hurt Heroes more than BSG, mostly because I don't even remember which season of BSG the strike affected.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Season 3, which was one giant court case p much.

That's nuts, Season 3 also had the occupation of New Caprica, Fat Lee, Exodus pt 1&2, Starbuck's death, the boxing episode, and that killer finale with the reveal of the final five and Starbuck's return.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

My bad then lol, in my head I put all that into s2 for some reason

The Cylons show up on New Caprica in the season 2 finale and it ends on the time skip. And to be fair, the occupation storyline was probably written before the strike happened.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

zoux posted:

I wonder what would've happened if it had premiered in 2014 instead of 2004

It probably wouldn't have been 20+ episodes a season for one.

Rhyno posted:

No mention of the Adama maneuver.

That's included in Exodus 1&2.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

ashpanash posted:

I remember listening to the commentary by Moore and he sounded kind of embarrassed about it.

There were a couple episodes like that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

zoux posted:

Heh what about global waming :smug:

It should be legal to punch everyone who says this in the throat.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

asecondduck posted:

Isn't Fast Five the one where the Rock busts his arm out of a cast by flexing really hard?

No, that was Seven. Five is the one where they drag a multi-ton safe around Rio in defiance of all laws of physics.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

zoux posted:

I guess the radical reform faction of The Academy is seizing on the opportunity, because in addition to having no hosts, the Oscar broadcast has a hard cap of 3 hours and they're handing out "less popular Oscars" during the commercials.

I have a radical idea for making the Oscars go quicker. Ditch the dumb montages and go nowhere skits that seemingly exist just to give the show's creative staff something to justify their existence. Considering there isn't going to be a host this year this might actually happen.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

UNTITLED NANCY DREW PROJECT
Writer(s): Noga Landau, Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage
Producer(s): Lis Rowinski
Studio: CBS Television Studios
Logline: Set in the summer after her high school graduation,18-year-old Nancy Drew thought she’d be leaving her hometown for college, but when a family tragedy holds her back another year, she finds herself embroiled in a ghostly murder investigation — and along the way, uncovers secrets that run deeper than she ever imagined.
It's weird to me how much this screams Veronica Mars to me.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I feeler older than I should here because I'm definitely not "Nancy Drew" old.

I mean sure, Nancy Drew is the template Veronica Mars worked from, but I meant more that synopsis itself felt very Veronica Mars.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

52 is way too young.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

esperterra posted:

:yeah: except I woulda preferred to can season 2 of Dollhouse for more T:SCC. Even if it would rob me of the best Sierra and Victor episodes

T:SCC season 2 was pretty trash iirc. That was a show that lived entirely on the strength of its finales.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

zoux posted:

That reminds me, Netflix rotated their MST3Ks today. Down to only 10 tho : (

This seeding is ridiculous

Cloud Atlas is a 4 seed. Really.

I demand to know Edge of Tomorrow's RPI

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

X-O posted:

Anyway, outside of the comic book stuff Sci-fi/Fantasy isn’t really my jam anyway. I like some of the more low key cerebral sci-fi stuff and don’t typically ever watch any fantasy stuff.

Fury Road is a big loud action movie that also has depth. For my money it's the best action movie of the century and one of the all-time greats.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Oasx posted:

I never went to AV Club before the move, how is it worse now?

Kinja is a gently caress awful commenting system.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Knowing what I know about them it's probably a much more mundane "Jamie didn't want to be on TV anymore but Adam did."

That's pretty much it exactly. The Producers hit on the kids bust myth gimmick and approached Adam with the idea. He said yes because he's Adam, they asked Jamie and he said gently caress off I'm happy in my shop.

I also really liked Mythbusters Jr, it had a strong sense of continuity with the original show, the kids were good (including the 12 year old college sophomore majoring in astrophysics), and they got some really cool shots on top of that. Hopefully they do another season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

White shirt is from Life on Mars and Doctor Who

Y'know, at first glance I thought that was Thom Yorke

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

nate fisher posted:

Just curious are there any books that are critical companions or go behind the scenes that anyone can recommend? I know there is a few SNL and Late Night ones I need to read.

There's Monsters of the Week: The Complete Critical Companion to the X-Files by Zack Handlen and Todd VanDerWerff. It's pretty good, I've been reading it alongside my rewatch of the show (side note: The Lone Gunmen have not aged well at all, when they were introduced and started rambling about the Deep State I almost threw my iPad across the room)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

So the CW has that new show starting tomorrow, In the Dark, and apparently they're doing a real bad job of advertising it because everything I've seen through the CW App has been focusing on the main character and making it seem kind of a joke-y relationship show but apparently it is a murder mystery.

Wait, wait, you're telling me this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHcaHtfYm_k
Is a murder mystery?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jesus Christ, that got loving dark :stonk:

Based on my dim recollections of reading it in high school, Native Son is a pretty loving dark book, so it stands to reason a movie adaptation would be the same.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Veronica Mars comes back July 26
https://twitter.com/veronicamars/status/1116744093646905344

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rarity posted:

I couldn't tell from the letter, what's the main cause of the dispute?

Please allow David Simon to explain packaging in his own profane way

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Travelers and Continuum are good followups after 12 Monkeys if you want more time travel. Though the time travel in those shows are a little more brutal since they don't have much humor. I think they all have a bunch of the same actors too.

Continuum was 12 monkeys, but good.

I don't know why because on paper 12 Monkeys is everything I like, but man did that show bounce off of me hard, like to the point where I almost, almost, think Diaz was the better Kirk Acevedo character.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Diaz, for gently caress's sake Howe_sam, what is wrong with you? Who hurt you?

I said almost! But I do remember the name Diaz, his character in 12 Monkeys? Nope. Of course I also don't remember the name of the best character on that show (Todd Stashwick) so that might not be the best metric of character quality.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Gonz posted:

Emily Hampshire as Jennifer Goines might be one of the best TV characters ever.

See now I completely disagree. Jennifer Goines is a collection of quirks in search of a character. I think I've just grown tired of that whole type of "crazy but not really" character who only speaks in elliptical pop culture references, but no lie that character was a big part of the reason i didn't I didn't take to the show. I'll take Walter Bishop in the damaged genius category any day of the week.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

zoux posted:

Looks like Disney is going to keep putting shows out on Hulu, so that's probably good news for Cloak and Dagger and Runaways

Luna loving killed it as Ghost Rider imo

He did, but for the love of Beebo tv executives, stop calling superheroes grounded :negative:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/veronicamars/status/1123595932111519744
:toot:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

Is Matt Berry known at all in the US, aside from being in disenchantment, finding dory etc? (I'm guessing as much as he is in the UK, as in, known and loved by cult comedy nerds)

Let me put it this way, for a second I thought you meant Matthew Berry, the "Talented Mr Roto" and Avengers Endgame bit player (there are some minor Endgame spoilers behind that link).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/GriffLightning/status/1129094033492647937
Hopefully it finds a new home.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

You'd think the new Batwoman show would stream on DC Universe but nope it's going to be on the new Warner Media streaming service. Oh, and AT&T owns both Warner Media and DC Universe so this won't be confusing at all. It feels blatantly greedy when one company is running competition against itself and wants people to subscribe to multiple services. They own HBO and its own separate streaming service too.

There was a rumor going around a few weeks back when they cut short the first season on Swamp Thing that Warner was going to wind down DC Universe and fold it into the upcoming Warner Media streaming service, which they as a true competitor to Disney+ and Netflix.

That's also bad news for all the CW shows that are staying afloat because Netflix is paying big bucks for their overseas streaming rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

pentyne posted:

On the subject of Justified, it also had one of the best series finales of all time.

Yeah, Raylan finally got the right hat.

Medullah posted:

Justified is one of the only show I've rewatched in it's entirety 3 times or more. It's just so drat good. Character Actress Margo Martindale is a national treasure.

Casting Beloved Character Actor Margo Martindale as the voice of Ma Beagle in the new Ducktales was such an inspired decision.