Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

When is GSL back? I'm too spoiled by it to really get into the other series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pengwin posted:

holy poo poo they're playing games against progamers :stare:

Of course it plays protoss.

It's live on https://www.twitch.tv/starcraft

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I really wanted to see the AI cannon rush. Or see well it defends against one.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I for one don't want to see what an AI can do when bound by limitations like max APM. I thought the whole point of this was to make as good an AI as possible. If it's unbeatable and ludicrous with micro that's fine.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mata posted:

I was hyperbolizing a bit above but i would be disappointed if the AI had such good micro/macro that it didn't need to learn any strategy, tactics or decision-making at all, and just won with the same 1 base blink stalker build every game. That would seem to me like the deepmind team wasted their time on a game that wasn't very suited for what they were trying to do.

I guess I can see that perspective.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It knows they're supposed to be 1 supply.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Holy poo poo MC qualified. Did the big name foreigners try to qualify? Like serral?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Man what a weird feeling that must be. I'll miss him for sure.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I really hope they add this AI to the in game AI list as an option or something because it would be really fun to play against.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I would love to see unrestricted sc2 bots vs each other.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Synastren posted:

WCS Europe and America group stages are being cast today!

Europe

Americas

https://www.twitch.tv/starcraft

Thank you!

e: Just me or is this stream quality super bad? Like the black point is way too high so you have complete black areas instead of dark grey and there seems to be a contrast filter applied over it which makes things worse?

e2: Let's get our group picks in for RO32?

Group A
1st: Dark 2nd: Dear

Group B
1st: Classic 2nd: Trap

Group C
1st: Stats 2nd: GuMiho

Group D
1st: sOs 2nd:Solar

Group E
1st: Maru 2nd: HerO

Group F
1st: INoVation 2nd: soO

Group G
1st: TY 2nd: Leenock

Group H
1st: Alive 2nd: Rogue

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 31, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If anyone is trying to figure out when the games are for their local time, this link should autodetect your time zone and tell you.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Antares posted:

I'd go along with most of these but do you rate Alive that highly right now? I haven't seen him play in a while but I would've favored Rogue/Zest.

Otherwise agree except I have faith Scarlett can get out second and Impact has a decent shot.

I have 0 faith in Scarlett unfortunately, I'd really like her to do well. Zest I just don't think is that great relative to Kespa era.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nervous posted:

It's always fun to see someone throw when you're not emotionally invested in them.

Zwabu and I are Z players so it hurt to watch.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

As a non protoss below master rank I'm very happy robos are cheaper because I dislike dealing with Stargate stuff more.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Really wish IEM/ESL would get their poo poo together with VOD organization it's really confusing on their twitch channel.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What a great story. Love soO so much and you could see even Stats was happy for him after the last match.

Wish artosis/tasteless could have casted it but all the same.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

yeee

I like Maynarde as a personality and dude, but his tournament casting style is mehhhhhhhhhhhhh

I think it's because he's being hired to cast these events which have to appeal to a certain type of viewer, we talked about this in the old thread but you even see how Artosis has to act like a 14 year old fortnite streamer at the non-Korean events because some out of touch marketing manager has decided that starcraft viewers need the casters to pretend to be super excited and riled up and screaming etc. If Maynarde was casting GSL you'd probably see him take a more intellectual and measured approach to the cast.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I find him sometimes hilarious and sometimes just average, sometimes a little grating like you guys are saying but I think I fall on the side of liking him. I find him extremely relatable as an arrogant guy myself I guess? And I like how he doesn't take it too seriously. Like in the Stats vs soO finals he said something to the extent of 'look I'm not going to pretend to be able to read super into [Stat]'s brain right now[...]' and I liked it a lot because a lot of people would be trying to hype up some bullshit about player mentality.

He definitely has a diminutive approach but I like it a lot better than the meme heavy stuff you get from other casters he usually works with. I think he really shines when it's a group conversation sorta thing like the hangouts sometimes hosted on the starcraft twitch channel where it's people just hanging out chatting normally.

Having said all this he has the type of personality where I worry he's like months from killing himself considering some stuff he's said on twitter about struggles etc, not to mention going through a divorce. I hope he doesn't!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That semis was loving amazing

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

2 hours man then like 45 min till the games start, of which there will be 5 because 4:1 maru is my call. Get your predicions in boys?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If someone is going to dominate like that I want them to be either super charismatic like byuN or the literal opposite total deadpan 'this is easy every time', 'I'm doing it for the money' etc like Maru.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 15, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The BC change is the only change I've ever predicted and got right so I make them whenever I get T in random.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gunder posted:

If you guys could pick one unit to remove from the game because you feel that it’s useless or that it negatively affects the game, what would it be and why?

I don't think any unit is like that but the closest thing for me is modern infestors.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dunno about you guys but no other unit in the game is as frustrating for me to deal with (as a zerg) than 6+ adepts shading back and forth or split up if they can get them into my base. I'd rather see a carrier at my drone line.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Actually it’s among the easiest to cast combos in the game because you don’t need to click specific targets (like you do with emp or snipe) and because it’s against air units which naturally stack. So even if it’s “late” it’s still harder for the other player to mitigate the combo damage than it is for the casting player to generate damage.

It is two casters, so yeah it’s harder to micro than other units, but relative to other spells it’s a pretty easy caster combo.

Wait did they change EMP? My memory of it is a casted AoE about the size of a sentry forcefield.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah he's definitely had a few 45 min tvt losses and decided to just 2 base allin every p/z.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oasx posted:

I can’t blame anyone for not playing in the GSL, it has an awful format and the location means that you are missing out on playing in most other tournaments.
I think Serral still has some things to prove, but playing in the GSL is not one of them.

Bro monks don't go on silent retreats for 3 years because it's convenient, they do it because they recognize it's a hideously important thing to do for themselves to achieve enlightenment and in this video game it's the same thing with Serral he's gotta go hang his dick on the wall for a season or two and get it done.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If the casting of non GSL tournaments was more palatable I'd love to pay attention to that scene.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yoshi Wins posted:

Rifkin is the worst caster. I remember I hated both him and Zombiegrub, and then I heard her casting without him and she was fine. Not great, but not actively bad. Eminently tolerable.

Then I realized that my issue during her broadcasts with Rifkin was that she couldn’t conceal her annoyance with his garbage casting. But I don’t blame her!

I still can't stand either of them (ZG or Rifkin) and actually will avoid watching anything they're in. He's definitely a hundred times worse than she is but still, feels like they both got their foot in the door and now there just aren't any other options. At least it's not GTR I guess.

I didn't know feardragon was a goon though. I never really watched anything he casted but hope he's alright.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Synastren posted:

Tongue in cheek reminder that protoss are mad about nydus when they've had warp prisms for almost 9 years.

As a fellow Z I'm sure you'd agree that prisms have only really felt abusive since they increased the pick up range to beam up range. I think I shake my head every single time I see it pick up a unit from max range. I know you're emphasizing that the huge maps favor the prism because of being able to warp in reinforcements/harassing zealots etc but the range is still more irritating to me because it feels broken despite queen range.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GSL live in 10 min guys big boy partingG hype

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

gently caress it's not tastosis. But lol @ the twitch chat when loving rapid started talking:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

gently caress is rapid? Noregret is great as half, but neithertastosis?

It's because KSL finals I guess?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My prediction is Dark wins 4-2.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They could increase prism pickup range to make it a bit more versatile.

Make it a building you warp in that just acts like a nydus with infinite range I think.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I actually really enjoyed the bald caster guy as well. Only complaint would be that he seemed like he was focusing on his intonation too much (too swarmy?) if that makes sense but I think it's probably also a thing that you fall into easily when you're a caster working the biggest gig of your life so far. I'd definitely watch him again. Was legit funny at times.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Do the top tier NA/EU players travel too much for a GSL-style tourney?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

:siren:
https://www.twitch.tv/wcg_tz3
:siren:

MARU V REYNOR YOU loving BASTARDS, CASTED BY ARTOSIS

GET THE gently caress IN

Whoa is that what tastosis look like when their blazers fit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wow that's really horrible. After his divorce he seemed a little unstable at times and I worried I'd wake up to read about him having done something self-harm related but it sounds like this was an actual medical thing he succumbed to - that's insane considering how healthy he seemed. I really liked him even when he was at his goofiest and will really miss him.