Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Until the deepmind team can accurately implement wrist pain, depression and disapproving parents, this alphastar farce proves nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I for one don't want to see what an AI can do when bound by limitations like max APM. I thought the whole point of this was to make as good an AI as possible. If it's unbeatable and ludicrous with micro that's fine.

I was hyperbolizing a bit above but i would be disappointed if the AI had such good micro/macro that it didn't need to learn any strategy, tactics or decision-making at all, and just won with the same 1 base blink stalker build every game. That would seem to me like the deepmind team wasted their time on a game that wasn't very suited for what they were trying to do.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I wouldn't hatch/cc/nex first in silver. If you're losing to rushes and cheese, maybe it's worth to tighten your early game defense and open pool until you start losing to economic builds.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
The void ray doesn't see a lot of action these days but it's not exactly underpowered (even if proxy void ray looks solved in the GSL it's actually really strong still)

I'm waiting on somebody to figure out what infestors are used for. You'd think someone could win a lategame ZvT by neural parasiting a ghost and pulling off an EMP but in practice that seems to result in a loss.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
He just doesn't want to play mirror, so he doesn't.
This maybe means he gets easier Z and P opponents too.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

This is legit a cool af gsl, it's nice to see new blood making it deeper into the bracket. I think liquipedia had an analysis post about how only like 2 or 3 new koreans have even qualified for the GSL in the last few years, much less made it deep. It's been almost entirely a club of the same few people

Who's the new blood this season? Armani?

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I think the fastest wins are gonna be sling+bling all-ins. This is very demanding micro and I don't have the speed nor accuracy to consistently win those fights...
The easiest way to churn out wins I think is to play less greedy than your opponent and time a strong 2base speedroach all-in that hits when they have invested in a saturated third base (but before they have turned that extra income into superior roach production). Scouting the timing and saturation of the third is crucial here. Roach micro is comparatively fun and is really just about making a roach burger together where you're the bread and your opponent is the meat.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
He ain't a monk though, he's a progamer. This is his job. Would be a really stupid move for serral to go compete in the GSL

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
The best player in the world can still get knocked out of the first round of the GSL

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I don't know about conc shells, but I think since LotV there hasn't really been much of a problem with deathballs. I think the game is really harass-focused right now where it's just the oracles, widowmines, prisms etc that decide the game.
It varies a little by matchup of course. Most games will come down to a fight before the gg but what decided that fight was the early-game harass.
Exception is PvP where if you lose more probes to adepts/oracles than your opponent there's absolutely no point in waiting, and most players will gg right away.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I thought he was pretty good until he insisted on "Nydii". Come on casters, stop with the latin plurals, just say nexuses or whatever

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
"Nydus wormii" - SC2 casters

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Winners league format (proleague format but winners stays on) would be cool. Any other format where both maru and stats are in the brackets has a very high chance of yielding maru vs stats sooner or later.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I love parting but I don't think that poo poo would have worked against Rogue

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
For sure, even if the dps-per-mana is the same, the fact that their DPS is twice as compact and twice as focused is a good thing in general.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Watching these games I can't help but feel that zerg might be, ah, how do i put this, overly powerful?

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I don't know the exact numbers but I think you need to kill a certain amount of drones with adepts and oracles to kill zerg with the immortal all-in.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I mean infested terrans aren't really free, or a unit, they're a spell summon that costs mana. Swarm host locusts are somewhere between a free summoned unit and a projectile.
I like the asymmetry they introduce to their matchups, I feel like atleast one player should be punished for turtling or the meta is gonna get real boring. A slight nerf to nydus or swarm host is gonna put the PvZ matchup in a good place, I think, where if a protoss lets the Zerg line up a swarm host nydus attack they better have godly army movement to defend and come out ahead.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I feel like classic had to reach deep to pull out that game 5 cheese, I'm not confident he has another PvZ series in him.
I'm also not sure why they keep inviting terran players to these things?

edited cause I'm not sure if we're doing spoilers here or what

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I went to bed after the serral vs reynor g5 throw and I don't regret it, but up until that game it was a good tournament. Not too happy with the ro4 and onwards, but Classic winning that BO5 against rogue while clearly not standing a chance in an honest macro game made me proud to be a protoss player.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

You do you, but I don't think this is the best way to learn the game.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I think the late-game situations that you rarely get to but can cost you a 50 minute game in an instant are worth practicing. Like the nitty gritty details of ghost raven vs infestor viper, if you just grind out timing attacks on ladder you'll never commit the intricacies of that engagement to muscle memory. Reaper micro not so much, you get the opportunity to practice that every game.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
He's no stats in lategame, but it looked like he was just not in form today. ICYMI.

e: after thinking about it, he's only really "in form" when he finally gets his warp prism + obs + blink stalkers into position. Still, I love the idea of the blink DT + zealot surround and then pop a disruptor shot into the middle, it probably would have worked against anyone but TY..

Mata fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 27, 2020

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
In PvP you definitely steal the gas if the opportunity presents itself. It's very strong. If they block it by right clicking a probe onto the geyser, you can sometimes zap that probe with yours and it'll move away unless they're spamming it, giving you a short window to steal.
Taking your second gas as soon as the enemy probe comes up your ramp (at the latest) doesn't really set your build back at all, so there's no reason to get your gas stolen unless you forget.

I haven't done carriers for a while but iirc it's still a fairly unbeatable composition, whereas chargelot+archon+immortal is strongest somewhere between the 3/4 base transition. Most of the time if both players manage to secure a 4th that means both sides went for a strong midgame composition like chargelot+archon+immortal, and whoever is slightly behind on upgrades and economy has to make something happen with DTs, warp prisms or a carrier switch, whereas the person who's ahead should focus on containing, defending harass and scouting out the opponent's tech switch.

Mata fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 28, 2020

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Nerf Zerg. But aside from that the game is pretty balanced I think.
I personally believe that if it weren't for one out-of-position stalker in a proxy marauder rush game, we could have had a protoss champion in the GSL this season.
Protoss players could get better, too. There's a lot of abilities that they aren't using to their full potential. It's also possible with the dismantling of SC esports infrastructure that the highest level of skill in SC2 is already behind us and we will never see what warp prisms and disruptors are really capable of.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Lot of lovely gamers out there. Tune into any live match where Scarlett is playing and read the chat, it would surprise me if she doesn't deal with that kind of poo poo constantly.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Please post ggs here because I literally can't watch this much StarCraft.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I liked this game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bS0dN7HbSE&t=15838s
Parting really has his niche in focusing on execution, finesse and micro tricks. If he learned how to build a composition that isn't already countered by what his opponent has, he would probably win more but be less fun to watch.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Synastren posted:

If you avoid Reynor vs Serral because "it's just zvz" you are a fool who does not actually like SC2.

Oh boy euro vs euro :tootzzz: sorry I don't watch diamond league games.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Lower league balance is an interesting problem but it seems kind of hopeless? Maybe some statistical analysis could be done, but what would it mean if protoss wins more against zerg at a given MMR? Couldn't that mean that terran is weak against zerg, or protoss is weak against terran at that MMR?

It seems unlikely that silver league players have enough in common to be able to determine if a race is OP at some MMR, it'll be up to the individual where maybe some player has mean stalker micro but if you build a siege tank against them they'll throw their army away and implode trying to manage a 3 base economy. His leaguemate with the exact same MMR freezes up during fights and won't get a single action in but can spend his money like a pro in the midgame.

The asymmetry between the races doesn't really factor into the game until like plat at the lowest, before that all the races share the same concept, and improving with one race means working on the same fundamentals as the other races (building units, making workers, and generally being able to identify if you should be aggressive or defensive at a given point in a game).

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Lmao maru vs parting. Economic game, ending with the most efficient trade of all

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
It seems to be the case that Protoss and zerg mains have a strong off-race (usually the offrace is also P or Z) but terrans can only play terran. I'm not going to back this statement up with any proof.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Vayra posted:

the forgotten control group of lurkers in the middle of the map until Maru scanned them and reminded him though lmfao
I think it was a hold lurker trap hoping that Maru would move his ghosts to the high ground for snipes again. Every time he attacked that 11 lowground base without bringing his lurkers he was trying to bait that out, and if Maru had taken the bait the game woulda been over right there.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Yeah in the sense that they won't intelligently distribute their attack targets to maximize damage. But no units do that, siege tanks just don't overkill because they don't have a "swing", their damage point is at the start of the animation so they can never attack a dead unit, and instead retarget and hit something else.

I think some melee units enter into an uninterruptible phase in their attack cycle where even if their target dies they'll complete the animation and enter cooldown. In SCBW this has some weird interactions with units that transform into other units but SC2 is too tight in how it handles this stuff that it doesn't really matter, and there wouldn't be a difference between a melee unit that overkills and one that doesn't unless they have an instant attack (does any melee unit have this?) And has 2 or more enemy units in range.

Mata fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 8, 2021

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
It's gonna be Trap 4:2 Dark. Another interesting alternate universe fact is that if rogue hadn't died when he did he would have won the whole thing.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Trap 4:1 Dark

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I got AoE4 expecting not to like it (because I didn't particularly like 1, 2, 3) but it actually owns pretty hard. There's not a lot of games to choose from in this genre so if you like trad RTS then you should really check it out while it's still 1$ on xbox game pass.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

You are playing with your controller on xbox? Or can you plug a keyboard/mouse into xbox?

No, I play it the normal way, with my dance dance revolution mat.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Whatever happened to that game Day9 was making?

https://guardiansofatlas.com/ Day9 departed the project sometime before release, the game went on to fail due to low player retention. Had I been aware of a public alpha I would have probably checked it out once and never played again, because I'm not interested in that particular intersection of RTS/MOBA

I'll probably check out Immortals if it becomes available to non-kickstarters though.

Mata fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
There was a lot of problems with travel distances, map control and unit compositions that made team games not work great in SCBW. In WC3 team games did work really well but I think it wasn't so much the heroes as it was the town portals. In combination with big maps, strong bases and resilient economies meant that just because you lost map control doesn't mean you lost the game.
In SC2 they tried to fix this a little bit by having nearly all team maps be some shared base variant, but the unit interactions were always balanced around 1v1. LotV economy made things worse.

I'm really interested to see if they can make both asymmetric solo and team games work well with the same rulesets, but just adding some extra mechanic in team games, like a building that lets you teleport to an ally's base if they get ganged up on, would go a long way to fixing the inherent issues in SC team games. That, and fewer rock paper scissor unit interactions than SC2 had.

rjmccall posted:

[*]You can make players be less independent, so it’s more like a 3-person archon mode than 3x3. So you never eliminate a specific player because each player still has their own responsibility in the game, microing workers or whatever.[/list]
This is a decent option for premades but sharing anything at all, be it resources or building queues, doesn't really work in public games.

Mata fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 12, 2022